News Walt Disney World Christmas holidays 2022

Comped

The castle lights simply CAN'T be put up until the 50th decorations are removed. Each section of lights is specifically designed to fit the shape of the castle. With all the 50th stuff, the lights can't be put up. Very simple.

They'll be back next year. Why? Because marketing.
That's right, even if I have heard that there's less and less of a chance that the lights are coming back because projections are so much cheaper and easier to make...

Dan Deesnee

That's right, even if I have heard that there's less and less of a chance that the lights are coming back because projections are so much cheaper and easier to make...

Whatever your hearing is speculation. Disney probably doesn't even know for sure at this point.

You make the lights once. You hang them once. You turn them on every night. Doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Those projectors cost a fortune to run and operate (fix, etc.).

The castle lights will be back. It is too big of a marketing item for them.

Let's revisit this the first holiday season after the 50th stuff is removed from the castle.

ToTBellHop

I think unlike Harmonious, the daytime intrusion was worth it for the nighttime payoff. For a limited period of the year, the provided a spectacular look. WDW no longer has any wow moments for the holidays - it is seriously lacking.
It is sad that I can find about a dozen Christmas light displays within an hour of my house that are more impressive than what WDW has.

ToTBellHop

Loosing the Osborne Lights was one of the worst decisions in WDW history. A display like this needs to be brought back to WDW
I gather they have decided that, since displays like that are everywhere now, they should just do nothing. Instead, they should do better than local amusement parks, baseball stadium parking lots, etc.

I actually think Dinoland could be a great contender for an impressive display. These things are ugly during the day, but that actually works for Dinoland and it would keep people in that park at night.

Comped

Whatever your hearing is speculation. Disney probably doesn't even know for sure at this point.

You make the lights once. You hang them once. You turn them on every night. Doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Those projectors cost a fortune to run and operate (fix, etc.).
Projectors are in place long term, and once installed (and the programs designed), cost no more than turning them on and maintaining them, compared to all the work required to hang, take down, and maintain, the lights, particularly over a short period of time.

brb1006

Loosing the Osborne Lights was one of the worst decisions in WDW history. A display like this needs to be brought back to WDW
Don't forget Lights of Winter at Epcot.
1270A329-5F6E-465B-8F1D-27E803E45165.jpeg

DSC_2136-M.jpg

DSC_2155-M.jpg

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I gather they have decided that, since displays like that are everywhere now, they should just do nothing. Instead, they should do better than local amusement parks, baseball stadium parking lots, etc.

I actually think Dinoland could be a great contender for an impressive display. These things are ugly during the day, but that actually works for Dinoland and it would keep people in that park at night.
Rather odd, though, since Disney likes following what others do these days. 🤔

Your Dinoland idea has merit. Fits the kitsch of the area.

Touchdown

If you’re looking for impressive displays in a theme park setting, you need to go to Branson and Silver Dollar City. >6 million lights. Or if you are willing to see a slightly less impressive display (>4 million) in exchange for better shows go to SDC’s sister park Dollywood. Or you can be like me and go to both 😎.

jrhwdw

Since GKTW is not having their Event this year, it would be nice to use those Lights elsewhere..... Which were the Osborne Lights I keep hearing..........

DisneyDebRob

I think unlike Harmonious, the daytime intrusion was worth it for the nighttime payoff. For a limited period of the year, the provided a spectacular look. WDW no longer has any wow moments for the holidays - it is seriously lacking.
Steve, I think you saying it has no wow moments is wrong. Have you forgot about the specialty gingerbread man cookies on Main Street? That my friend is what they are banking on now.
Agree though, it is going to be a shell of years past. I arrive thanksgiving day for a few weeks and I think we are going to MK 2 days and that may be one day more than I need. Shame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom