News Walt Disney World Christmas holidays 2022

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The Osborne lights were nice... in their day. But talk about people having better displays at home, the Osborne lights were outdated. And not in a charming way, since they were so over the top to begin with.

Disney tried to update them by coordinating them to music, but again, the technology quickly passed them by with individually addressable LEDs, while Disney only had big swaths of lights all blinking together like someone playing with a light switch. Even SeaWorld had individually addressable LEDs over a decade ago on their trees in their lake, while Disney only had on one short road that had that tech.

If you want Disney to be the leader in these things, then one doesn't pine for the Osborne lights to come back in any form.

CntrlFlPete

GKTW is back to 100%. So, they are unable to do the the Lights on Property. GKTW announced that back in Spring??? IDK if anyone knew thery were looking for another option, glad they did!!!

great cause that held a wonderful, enjoyable event with many lights and set ups the couple of years they held it in the village.

I'm glad they are able to hold the event still! Anyone visiting and disappointed in Disney's displays should really consider visiting this event!

https://www.gktw.org/lights/

JoeCamel

GKTW is back to 100%. So, they are unable to do the the Lights on Property. GKTW announced that back in Spring??? IDK if anyone knew thery were looking for another option, glad they did!!!
A lot of the GKTW design and construction was provided by Disney. They didn't give them hand me down lights but they did use designs from there for the new installation. I wish TDO could learn from this and put on a display of their own during the season. It sells good will like little else

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The Osborne lights were nice... in their day. But talk about people having better displays at home, the Osborne lights were outdated. And not in a charming way, since they were so over the top to begin with.

Disney tried to update them by coordinating them to music, but again, the technology quickly passed them by with individually addressable LEDs, while Disney only had big swaths of lights all blinking together like someone playing with a light switch. Even SeaWorld had individually addressable LEDs over a decade ago on their trees in their lake, while Disney only had on one short road that had that tech.

If you want Disney to be the leader in these things, then one doesn't pine for the Osborne lights to come back in any form.
Osborne lights had individually addressable LEDs in 2011, pretty much once that technology was available.

You can see them here.

Rteetz

Osborne lights had individually addressable LEDs in 2011, pretty much once that technology was available.

You can see them here.

Sure, but I’m terms of what can be done today it’s not remotely innovative. I was a fan of the Osborne lights no doubt but as someone who does a gaudy light display to music on their house they aren’t that special in todays day and age.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sure, but I’m terms of what can be done today it’s not remotely innovative. I was a fan of the Osborne lights no doubt but as someone who does a gaudy light display to music on their house they aren’t that special in todays day and age.
I think the display's scale, scope and atmosphere were something special. And of course, investment in upgrades stopped in 2011, so had that continued, I am sure we would have seen something more innovative by today's standards.

yensid1967

Why doesn't TDC just take out all the Christmas decorations!? The SAY they are doing everything they are doing now for Guests Experience, but you can GUARANTEE that if its profiting Disney its NOT giving the guest experience any boost. TDC will find way to make it feel more intimate for guests while making money! And they wonder why their die-hard fans are not coming to Disney as much or spending as much money...because they are nickel and diming every guest!

I have cancelled my next trip, but if it happens I WILL NOT BE GOING TO DISNEY for the majority of my trip! I will be only going to MK/MNSSHP or MVCP

ToTBellHop

Why doesn't TDC just take out all the Christmas decorations!? The SAY they are doing everything they are doing now for Guests Experience, but you can GUARANTEE that if its profiting Disney its NOT giving the guest experience any boost. TDC will find way to make it feel more intimate for guests while making money! And they wonder why their die-hard fans are not coming to Disney as much or spending as much money...because they are nickel and diming every guest!

I have cancelled my next trip, but if it happens I WILL NOT BE GOING TO DISNEY for the majority of my trip! I will be only going to MK/MNSSHP or MVCP
You alright?

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

You lost me.

nickys

Premium Member
I’ve heard a rumor that due to DE’s lackluster reviews, Minnie’s Wonderful Christmastime Fireworks will be presented nightly for day guests from 12/23/22 and through the new year (taking the 6:30 pm spot on 12/30 and 12/31). Anyone else heard this?
I hope you’re right. 🫰

jrhwdw

I’ve heard a rumor that due to DE’s lackluster reviews, Minnie’s Wonderful Christmastime Fireworks will be presented nightly for day guests from 12/23/22 and through the new year (taking the 6:30 pm spot on 12/30 and 12/31). Anyone else heard this?
Wouldn't surprise me regardless of DE's Reviews. The real 50th Christmas was last year. HEA only played during it's first Christmas.

gerarar

Premium Member
As it should be. I hyped up some first time family visitors I went with last Christmas, only to find out DE was being shown instead.

So we made a trip out to the Poly on the last party night (technically After Hours event) to see MWCTF there around 11pm. The beautiful perimeters were a bonus too with that fantastic view from the beach.

They should've just shown both shows each night, since it was the 50th and Christmas week.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Am I misremembering, or did they do this in the past with Holiday Wishes (minus the perimeters)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom