Walt Disney World annual pass price increases now in effect (February 2020)

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I purchased my gold annual passes yesterday after I posted the threat about the rumors of price increases. glad I did
Yep bought mine Saturday night! Ours had lapsed we did not go last year at all so needed to get a new one for our trips coming up. I knew yearly price increases happen in Feb usually so new any day now the increase would happen. Glad though it is only $20 more for Gold. ;)

IanDLBZF

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thank you! I’ve never paid $200 and been buying one over 10 years. He is thinking of Silver I think not Gold. That one has a ton of blackout days including also the whole summer, and no memory maker etc. Gold is exact same pass as platinum just has only 4 weeks blacked out total a year. Includes everything platinum does. ;)
I am not...
I’m telling you the semantics changes and how they fundamentally altered there products to cover a huge base price increase.

If you block the spring break and Christmas weeks, it limits the usefulness of Americans with children (might be what your demographics should be) greatly...and forces them into limiting potential repeat Visits or higher cost passes.

An “annual” pass prior to gold and silver (sooo shiny!! 😍) had no blackouts. Making it by definition not an annual pass. The limited passes prior where labeled as such. Line Epcot after 4, seasonal, etc.

I’m saying the gold, silver, platinum is a tactic...calling attention away from the blackouts because I’m 99.995% sure their research said they didn’t want to have people think of “blackouts” when they buy thousands of dollars in tickets.

Apparently - it works too as demonstrated by this tangent Q&A

Last edited:

sxeensweet

Prior to Gold the regular annual pass was in that range in the early 2000s. By mid-2000s it was in the low 300s for DVC/AP members. There were no blockout dates with those passes, or with the Gold pass until recent years.
Been getting gold for 10 years and always had the blackout dates I don’t call that recent years. Haha. But yes I know all about the other passes I bought regular passes (what is called platinum now) before we joined DVC so were buying those over 10 years ago. ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yep bought mine Saturday night! Ours had lapsed we did not go last year at all so needed to get a new one for our trips coming up. I knew yearly price increases happen in Feb usually so new any day now the increase would happen. Glad though it is only $20 more for Gold. ;)
Look at the savings 😬

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Been getting gold for 10 years and always had the blackout dates I don’t call that recent years. Haha. But yes I know all about the other passes I bought regular passes (what is called platinum now) before we joined DVC so were buying those over 10 years ago. ;)
Did those “prior” regular annual passes have blackout dates?

They did not...seasonal did

That’s part of the backstory/history. The prices diverted and went high when they relabeled them and implemented blackouts.

The old UPHs did not have the blackouts

sxeensweet

I am not...
I’m telling you the semantics changes and how they fundamentally altered there products to cover a huge base price increase.

If you block the spring break and Christmas weeks, it limits the usefulness of Americans with children (might be what your demographics should be) greatly...and forces them into limiting potential repeat Visits or higher cost passes.

An “annual” pass prior to gold and silver (sooo shiny!! 😍) had no blackouts. Making it by definition not an annual pass. The limited passes prior where labeled as such. Line Epcot after 4, seasonal, etc.

I’m saying the gold, silver, platinum is a tactic...calling attention away from the blackouts because I’m 99.995% sure their research didn’t sent to have people think of “blackouts” when they buy thousands of dollars in tickets.

Apparently - it works too as demonstrated by this tangent Q&A
Those families with Gold still can go during Thanksgiving, all summer, Mardi Gras week(many southern Louisiana, some Miss.and Alabama schools), Fall break, Spring break (many spring breaks are not those 2 weeks surrounding Easter that are blacked out, or in addition to some have a spring break and time around Easter off) etc etc. Many people with kids still have gold. So to say Gold eliminates families from going as much is not true like it is for maybe Silver passes. ;)

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

The Gold pass replaced the Premium pass in 2015 and introduced the blockout dates, there were no blockout dates before it's introduction. I've been a passholder for almost 20 years myself, though I did take a break for a while.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

These price increase threads are GREAT for venting - but LOW on actual DATA.

Can we just get the current prices, with tax, for Platinum, Gold, whatever. Along with the RENEWAL prices, with tax, for the same?
I realize that WDW won't GIVE you a renewal price - until 60 days prior to current Pass expiration.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

Can we just get the current prices, with tax, for Platinum, Gold, whatever. Along with the RENEWAL prices, with tax, for the same?
I realize that WDW won't GIVE you a renewal price - until 60 days prior to current Pass expiration.

That information is already available on Disney's website though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Those families with Gold still can go during Thanksgiving, all summer, Mardi Gras week(many southern Louisiana, some Miss.and Alabama schools), Fall break, Spring break (many spring breaks are not those 2 weeks surrounding Easter that are blacked out, or in addition to some have a spring break and time around Easter off) etc etc. Many people with kids still have gold. So to say Gold eliminates families from going as much is not true like it is for maybe Silver passes. ;)
I said “limits”...not eliminate.

And school calendars vary by region. Both the summer and Christmas/Easter blackout dates most heavily impact the regions of the country where the heavy money is for the wdw target audiences...

The eastern seaboard and upper Midwest/rust belt near Chicago

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Google those...most Disney fan sites/blog out them up immediately. I saw them on allears this morning

wendysue

Well, last year I swore we wouldn't get APs anymore after having them for probably the past 15 years, but then I was able to get the discounted rate (~$900) at Sam's club so I bought one for each of us. This year for our family of 4 it will cost us roughly $5000 for the passes. Nope. When our APs run out at the end of August we won't be renewing and since my kids are older we'll probably be limiting our family trips to wdw to once a year. We're already spending more time at Universal than we used to and I see no reason to keep giving Disney more of my money when there are other great things we can be doing.
Same here...we expire the end of August and that's it for WDW. We will still go on vacation. Just not there.

sxeensweet

The Gold pass replaced the Premium pass in 2015 and introduced the blockout dates, there were no blockout dates before it's introduction. I've been a passholder for almost 20 years myself, though I did take a break for a while.
Yes correct just was looking at historic info. (I knew I had been buying it a while haha) Anywho my point basically is the Gold pass is still good for families and hey yes the other passes don’t have blackouts and prices would of gone up to where they are today regardless for the passes. So I am thankful they offer a cheaper option so I don’t have to pay platinum prices when we don’t travel ever those 4 weeks, but still want all the other perks of platimum, etc etc. ;) (yes I know I’m falling for what they wanted me to happy to pay “cheaper”lol)

wendysue

I do find it interesting out of state passes got the biggest hit. I dont think its intentionally to curb those guests i think its more likely those guests have far deeper pockets than folks like me here in the swamp. Lets be frank if a platinum disney pass for your family of four is part of your life but you live in new york you have plenty of money to burn. Why should disney leave that money on the table? I bet alot of those same AP members make up a big amount of vacation club members as well and thus your coming anyway so why not squeeze another 100 bucks from ya?
We come from out of state and definitely do not have pockets deep enough for all the price increases lately (rooms and tickets). Our passes expire in August and that will be the end of it. Had a lot of good times, but there are cheaper places that are just as much fun.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Yes correct just was looking at historic info. (I knew I had been buying it a while haha) Anywho my point basically is the Gold pass is still good for families and hey yes the other passes don’t have blackouts and prices would of gone up to where they are today regardless for the passes. So I am thankful they offer a cheaper option so I don’t have to pay platinum prices when we don’t travel ever those 4 weeks, but still want all the other perks of platimum, etc etc. ;)

I don't think it's as much of a value as it once was, but there's certainly still value in it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom