Walt Disney World annual pass price increases now in effect (February 2020)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I bought my first ever AP last month and I live in the middle of the country, no where near WDW, now why did i by it? we decided to go to WDW over my sons spring break which corresponded to the end of the wife's business tip in Orlando, Given the amount of days were are visiting the parks and the AP room discounts the photopass, the difference in the pass and what it would cost me as a Disney package is less than 250 bucks and thats not including other passholder discounts and this is just ONE trip. yes I paid more for one trip then i could have but i also have 365 days to recoup the rest of that expense. the value in the AP is more than entrance to the parks, now if prices continue to increase and perks keep getting cut then its another story but i feel there is still value in the AP.
There can be value it just requires more Monetary commitment to get it...bizarre as it is.

The theory of annual passes is to get you there to make money off higher price/lower overhead items, such as merchandise. Not to whack you at every turnstile on the path.

My guess is this is self defeating and they Just do this to boost “increased spending per guest” that doesn't really mean “increased profits”. Plushies yield far more cash for the stockholders...decrease demand for Merch is far more dangerous than AP revenue

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Funny ... but true.

I never understood this at all, until at one point I was listening to the old WDWToday podcast and one of the guys explained, "I don't like ANY non-American food so yeah, in Epcot it's gonna be a steak at Le Celier every single time I go there." C'est la vie.
Yes...Mexican, Chinese food, Italian and a ham and cheese sandwich at France are all incredibly exotic...

You just reminded me why I want the US to contract to 18 states 🤔

kong1802

They did not...the only outlier.

So “yay!”...guess I should go out on the lawn and celebrate?

No...I don’t like any repetitive price increase after a 10 year onslaught of them...even if it doesn’t impact me directly.

They all impact all of us

Or as someone once said:

"We pay for those who are priced out until we ourselves are priced out"

Something like that...

TrainsOfDisney

10 years ago I bought this pass for $700 (plus tax.) This now costs $2200 (plus tax.) Are the parks better? Yes. Are they 3 times better? No.

I bought it the very first year they brought it out (the cm in the old passholder building now jolly holiday cafe had to get a supervisor because she didn’t know how to sell the pass). This year I walked into city hall on Main Street in MK and renewed as WDW only pass. I could no longer justify it.

It really seems silly.... that encourages me to take less Disney trips and spend less money in the parks. You’d think they would encourage people to buy the premier pass.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
With the exception that FL residents can pay monthly.
They do that begrudgingly...unlike UOR that does it willingly.

The reason is they want the revenue upfront to boost their own “earnings” numbers each quarter...

The reality is many DVC are like anyone else...no matter their income: far more likely to buy/renew if it wasn’t a $5000 kick in the goonies up front. They should do the installments for DVC...less
Thinking/analysis would cause fewer expirations

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I bought it the very first year they brought it out (the cm in the old passholder building now jolly holiday cafe had to get a supervisor because she didn’t know how to sell the pass). This year I walked into city hall on Main Street in MK and renewed as WDW only pass. I could no longer justify it.

It really seems silly.... that encourages me to take less Disney trips and spend less money in the parks. You’d think they would encourage people to buy the premier pass.

Disney no longer seeks to get as many people into the parks as possible. They want whoever comes to be paying as much as possible to get in, planning as far out as possible so they can manipulate staffing accordingly, and then charge those in the gates as much as possible for food, beverages, and merchandise.

Edited to correct a grammatical error.

Last edited:

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
The gold pass is basically a Florida resident pass...it eliminates most of the family market due to logistics.

More power to ya...I get your point...but that kinda pass was $200 bucks not that long ago.

If you want a true annual pass...it went up $76 overnight...

Or the price of one lunch at crystal palace 🤪
I think you are thinking of a silver pass! Gold pass includes everything platimum does. Only difference is 4 weeks are blacked out that is it. Week before Easter and after Easter and Week before Christmas and after Christmas every year. Gold was never $200 or around that, always been as long as I have been getting it as a DVC member around $500 or up the last 10+ years so. Works for us I don’t go those weeks ever too crowded and have all benefits of platinum free parking, memory maker, etc etc. We usually visit late April or Oct-Dec all of our trips. Love the first 2 weeks of Dec and those are not blacked out either. And many with families still get gold in fact most DVC members I know have a gold pass not platinum or platinum plus. To each their own. We love Gold and don’t need to pay $200 more to get those 4 weeks we never go. ;)

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Ok? But when was that ever $200 "not long ago"? I honestly can't remember it ever being below $500.
Thank you! I’ve never paid $200 and been buying one over 10 years. He is thinking of Silver I think not Gold. That one has a ton of blackout days including also the whole summer, and no memory maker etc. Gold is exact same pass as platinum just has only 4 weeks blacked out total a year. Includes everything platinum does. ;)

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I think you are thinking of a silver pass! Gold pass includes everything platimum does. Only difference is 4 weeks are blacked out that is it. Week before Easter and after Easter and Week before Christmas and after Christmas every year. Gold was never $200 or around that, always been as long as I have been getting it as a DVC member around $500 or up the last 10+ years so. Works for us I don’t go those weeks ever too crowded and have all benefits of platinum free parking, memory maker, etc etc. We usually visit late April or Oct-Dec all of our trips. Love the first 2 weeks of Dec and those are not blacked out either. And many with families still get gold in fact most DVC members I know have a gold pass not platinum or platinum plus. To each their own. We love Gold and don’t need to pay $200 more to get those 4 weeks we never go. ;)

Prior to Gold the regular annual pass was in that range in the early 2000s. By mid-2000s it was in the low 300s for DVC/AP members. There were no blockout dates with those passes, or with the Gold pass until recent years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom