News Walt Disney World Annual Pass price changes effective October 16 2018

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why? The highest priced Disneyland Resort AP, which offers entrance into the two Anaheim theme parks 365 days per year plus a gaggle of minor discounts, is currently $1,149 before the 2018 price increase that is reported to come later this month.

So why would a top tier WDW AP that offers 365 days entrance to four theme parks and two water parks plus a gaggle of minor discounts, be any less than the Disneyland AP that has half as many theme parks and absolutely no water slides to offer?

It would seem to me that the WDW AP offerings, even after the 2018 price increase, are an absolute bargain compared to what the same company offers to AP holders on the West Coast.

Disneyland is typically a more local clientele...WDW is not. A simple difference.

Tayoboy

In the Parks
Yes
Nice! I hope you enjoy the silver pass! I had the weekday pass last year but, because I'm out of the state often now, I switched to the Epcot after 4 pass for the slight price decrease and no blackout dates. And, Epcot's just the best. Sorry about the price increases though :(. (The rest of this post isn't directed at you; it's just a general observation.)

While we'll grumble about the changes, I sincerely doubt they will prevent anyone from changing their plans. Disney isn't doing it to reduce the number of APs, or crowd control, or just out of spite/evil.

They do it because they can.
You're not wrong, the prices can go up from here, especially with SWGE coming soon, its only price increases from here on out.

TP2000

Disneyland is typically a more local clientele...WDW is not. A simple difference.

Yes, exactly. Disneyland is just a tiny, little locals-only theme park. So if little Disneyland can charge $1,149 for their top tier AP, then why wouldn't WDW as a giant International Tourist mega-attraction be able to charge even more than little Disneyland?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, exactly. Disneyland is just a tiny, little locals-only theme park. So if little Disneyland can charge $1,149 for their top tier AP, then why wouldn't WDW as a giant International Tourist mega-attraction be able to charge even more than little Disneyland?

Because less people will pay it...you’re guess to why is as good as mine.
Trust in this though: they’ve mined the data and know.

I would guess it’s because many of the ap holders in southern California don’t have to fly to Anaheim and spend $400 a night on hotels for longer average stays with more food...balllooning the costs to larger figures??

Just a theory

Radeksgrl

My WDW AP is expiring soon, I've been a FL resident passholder for five years now, but this second price increase in less than a year is just too much. I think it may be time for Disney and I to part ways (it's not you, it's me...oh wait, it's definitely you!!!). Especially since Universal is offering such a great deal right now, an extra 3 or 6 months free (depending on which level of pass you buy).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My WDW AP is expiring soon, I've been a FL resident passholder for five years now, but this second price increase in less than a year is just too much. I think it may be time for Disney and I to part ways (it's not you, it's me...oh wait, it's definitely you!!!). Especially since Universal is offering such a great deal right now, an extra 3 or 6 months free (depending on which level of pass you buy).

You bring up the interesting dynamic.

Universal offering a longer pass to lock in people because they don’t have Star Wars...with new hotels opening up...

Disney refusing to discount in a pretty soft 12 month outlook...proving to nobody but themselves that they will not be “bullied” into not raising prices in the run up to their hyped land....

It’s so interesting.

On a side note...I got a DVC call the other day - because I have a December use year - and I had one of the snittiest conversations I’ve ever had with a name tag. I laugh but I take things off the back more easily.

I said: “send me the info (complete civility). Buy the way, what’s for sale now? Is it just wilderness?”

DVC: “ it’s not wilderness...it’s our new copper creek villas”

Me: “when I walked through the door of the lobby of wilderness last month...it pretty much appears to be wilderness...but I understand what you mean”

DVC: “we have other points available...starting at Saratoga at $153 a point to 2054”

Me: “yeah...the problem there is that I paid $73 a point for Saratoga till 2054”

DVC: “this is a good price...it’s still cheaper than renting points.” (Me: HUH?!??)

Me: “you’ve doubled your price in 10 years...what can I do with that? The math is completely different now. And the prices of everything else goes up 10% a year”

Then he said “I’ll send you the into” kinda terse and I’m 90% sure I got a “whatever” before the hang up under the breath...

That can’t be? Even as a “realistic” former employee that’s shocking to me...

It’s anecdotal...but indicative.

Iger needs to go...like yesterday

JJJ

You bring up the interesting dynamic.

Universal offering a longer pass to lock in people because they don’t have Star Wars...with new hotels opening up...

Disney refusing to discount in a pretty soft 12 month outlook...proving to nobody but themselves that they will not be “bullied” into not raising prices in the run up to their hyped land....

It’s so interesting.

On a side note...I got a DVC call the other day - because I have a December use year - and I had one of the snittiest conversations I’ve ever had with a name tag. I laugh but I take things off the back more easily.

I said: “send me the info (complete civility). Buy the way, what’s for sale now? Is it just wilderness?”

DVC: “ it’s not wilderness...it’s our new copper creek villas”

Me: “when I walked through the door of the lobby of wilderness last month...it pretty much appears to be wilderness...but I understand what you mean”

DVC: “we have other points available...starting at Saratoga at $153 a point to 2054”

Me: “yeah...the problem there is that I paid $73 a point for Saratoga till 2054”

DVC: “this is a good price...it’s still cheaper than renting points.” (Me: HUH?!??)

Me: “you’ve doubled your price in 10 years...what can I do with that? The math is completely different now. And the prices of everything else goes up 10% a year”

Then he said “I’ll send you the into” kinda terse and I’m 90% sure I got a “whatever” before the hang up under the breath...

That can’t be? Even as a “realistic” former employee that’s shocking to me...

It’s anecdotal...but indicative.

Iger needs to go...like yesterday

That's odd, but I think it's a little silly to blame Iger for a bad customer service interaction. The problem is much more local to that person and maybe their supervisor. While Iger sets the tone for the company, he hasn't (to me at least) set one of indifference to consumers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's odd, but I think it's a little silly to blame Iger for a bad customer service interaction. The problem is much more local to that person and maybe their supervisor. While Iger sets the tone for the company, he hasn't (to me at least) set one of indifference to consumers.

To be clear...I blame iger for burning down the forest leading up to his cash out day...he has no concern beyond that.

He is the first walt Disney ceo to be like that...even evil Mikey would not have crossed that line for his own legacy.

Bob has no legacy beyond the next cheap suit.

Well...I’m sure it’s an expensive suit...I guess

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Why? The highest priced Disneyland Resort AP, which offers entrance into the two Anaheim theme parks 365 days per year plus a gaggle of minor discounts, is currently $1,149 before the 2018 price increase that is reported to come later this month.

So why would a top tier WDW AP that offers 365 days entrance to four theme parks and two water parks plus a gaggle of minor discounts, be any less than the Disneyland AP that has half as many theme parks and absolutely no water slides to offer?

It would seem to me that the WDW AP offerings, even after the 2018 price increase, are an absolute bargain compared to what the same company offers to AP holders on the West Coast.
You're not comparing apples to oranges really. Disneyland is in Cali, where everything is expensive. The cost of living there far exceeds Florida. To say that it's fine WDW AP prices are the same as DL's wouldn't really be accurate IMO. Also, we have had 2 increases this year alone, which is something that will most likely be a trend.

Naplesgolfer

You're not comparing apples to oranges really. Disneyland is in Cali, where everything is expensive. The cost of living there far exceeds Florida. To say that it's fine WDW AP prices are the same as DL's wouldn't really be accurate IMO. Also, we have had 2 increases this year alone, which is something that will most likely be a trend.

I don't think Disney takes Florida cost of living into account in any meaningful way when pricing a platinum annual pass. Given that guest's are from all over the country and the world.

Disneyland's larger percentage of local guest volume is a factor causes them to raise the pass price to mitigate crowds.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think Disney takes Florida cost of living into account in any meaningful way when pricing a platinum annual pass. Given that guest's are from all over the country and the world.

Disneyland's larger percentage of local guest volume is a factor causes them to raise the pass price to mitigate crowds.
They are not trying to “mitigate” crowds...

That is as straight as a smokescreen as you can get...

In other words: a bold faced lie to charge people more

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

In my mind, if DL AP's are mostly locals, locals have more $ to spend because they live in a higher cost of living area whereas in WDW you have AP's from all over, some of which can't spend California prices on AP's do to their cost of living being lower.

Naplesgolfer

In my mind, if DL AP's are mostly locals, locals have more $ to spend because they live in a higher cost of living area whereas in WDW you have AP's from all over, some of which can't spend California prices on AP's do to their cost of living being lower.

By that train of thinking a lower cost of living equals more disposable income to send on a annual pass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom