Walt Disney World Again?

WDW Newsletter

This topic is certain to hit home to those of you have vacationed at Walt Disney World more than once every couple of years. As Disney Vacation Club members our family has had the ability to go to Walt Disney World three times a year. Being teachers we are limited to vacationing during Spring Break, Summer, and Christmas time.

Most of our friends and family know of our love for Disney and do not think anything of it. But we do get the traditional comment, “You’re going to Disney again?” That is usually followed up with, “Why?” We always say that we love it, our kids love it, and it is a safe place to be. People ask us all the time, “Don’t you get sick of it” and “Isn’t it just the same thing?” We used to try to explain to others why we love Disney, how it is different each trip, and that we try to do something unique each time, and that each season offers a different feel to the parks. Now we don’t even bother. It isn’t worth it.

The funny thing is that those who question us are the ones who like to vacation at the beach EVERY YEAR, or head to Gulf Shores etc…We never question them as to why they go there every year. We never say, “Isn’t it boring lying around on a beach all day” or ask “How much fun is that for your kids?” If that is what their family likes to do, then more power to them. It isn’t right for me to question them about what they like, so I am not sure why a Disney vacation isn’t held to the same standard.

I have come to the realization that there are two groups of people who view Disney, those who “get it” and those who “don’t.” The ones who don’t get Disney will never understand our love for the place, no matter what we say. Those who get Disney are the ones that continue to go back again and again. I love the people who want to give Walt Disney World advice and say how boring a place it is when they start off a sentence with, “15 years ago when I was there….”

The truth is Walt Disney World is a fun, safe place for our family. It works for us. I am sure that in a few years when our daughters are both teenagers they may not want to go to Walt Disney World with us. That is fine because right now is what is important. They love it and have had some of the most memorable experiences a child could have by going there. I think this quote says it all about Disney, "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

cameronmouse

I know I go through the same exact situation, we love going to disney and it'll never change. When we told people that we were going again this year with our son which will be almost a year old we got don't you think he's too young? All I tell them is that we love going and whether he remembers or not we will the pictures to show him as he gets older and hopefully hell grow a love for disney the way we do. I've come to the conclusion that as disney lovers we are our own breed.

Upvote 0

TakeMeThere81

This is so true. I have had people ask me...didn't you go to Disney recently? And that was over a year ago so NO!! But I've never had anyone be obnoxious about our love for Disney.

Are you from Mobile? I ask because you mentioned Gulf Shores. Anyway, we live in the Pensacola area so we might be neighbors!

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

I get those questions every year when I book my trip to wdw. I was really questioned this time, when I decided that I wanted to go on my first solo trip in November... I thought it would be a lotta fun to just do my own thing at my favorite place for once. My mom is coming with me now and I'm really excited that she is, but man did everyone ask me "was I crazy?" for wanting to go alone.... I said NO! They just don't understand my appreciation for wdw. I don't just go for the rides, there is soooo much more than that. I know some people who like to just vacation at the shore...well thats not my cup of tea but I don't question them or have anything to say about it. I always joke to my mom, I tell her its her fault I am the way I am about wdw because my parents started taking me every year since I was 6 y/o. I don't think I will ever grow out of the love that I have for wdw...and I hope I never do.

Upvote 0

SleepingMonk

...The funny thing is that those who question us are the ones who like to vacation at the beach EVERY YEAR, or head to Gulf Shores etc…We never question them as to why they go there every year...

I've noticed that as well. The people who ask "Disney again?" are the same ones who do the same things over and over. Never once has someone asked that and then followed up with a list of the great and varied locations they've tripped off to.

I usually try and explain our Disney trips like a trip to any other regular park or museum. It's right in our backyard, the price is right and there is always something new to see or do.

Upvote 0

stmize

I get asked that all the time but when they decide they want to go who do they ask for tips. ME!!!but that's okay it gives me a chance to recruit a new wdw fan.

Upvote 0

colleen2997

You have stated EXACTLY what I go through all of the time. We have an upcoming Disney trip in a few weeks. We were there last October and people say, "You are going AGAIN??" and it is the people who have never been or haven't been since the 80s who say it. It drives me insane. You also made a great point...I live in New Jeresey, so I am surrounded by people who go to the shore EVERY year, to the same rental HOUSE every year and do the same thing every day while at the shore (lay on beach, drink, eat, then do it over the next day)...That to me would be boring but it would never occur to me to make a rude comment about it to them! So why do us Disney lovers have to defend our yearly trips to Disney???
My family loves Disney so much we are looking into the DVC so that we can go multiple times a year.
Either you "get it" or you don't. My family loves Disney. Counting down the days throughout the year is what keeps us going during our stressful times. There is no place on earth better to visit with my family and we have commited to going every year. I just wish it could be more! :)

Upvote 0

Grim Grinner

I get this all the time. The wife and I have been to WDW 6 times since we were married in 2000 (plus once to DL, and a single pass through TDL that was far too short).

The worst is how one of my coworkers said she doesn't plan on going until she has kids. No matter how much I try to convince her, all she sees in her mind's eye is Fantasyland.

No matter, I'll convert her somehow. I've converted several into hardcore Disney fans.

They're not as psychotic about it as me, but they're on their way.

BTW- 26 days and counting...

Upvote 0

DisneyBunny

My DH and I have been going together since we got married (and many times with our seperate families before we got married)... and I'm kinda glad that we have a kid now that we can use as an excuse for why we're going AGAIN.

Not that we would/wouldn't have gone if she hadn't been born, but it certainly makes it a lot easier to explain to non-Disney people.

Although, it does open up another can of worms - "She's too young for Disney!!" :hammer:

Upvote 0

WDW Newsletter

Original Poster
Take me there I live in Illinois, but it just seems others around here ike Gulf Shores EVERY Year!

Disney Bunny, Stay tuned because on of my future blogs in my newsletter will be about being too young or not to go to WDW.

Upvote 0

360rico1

im with every one of you I live in pensacola and work up and down the panhandle and I see the same people every year renting the same condo either gettig bitten by sharks stung by jelly fish or suffering from heat exaustion I guess they look foward to this every year:shrug:

Upvote 0

Disneysue

In the Parks
No
Why is it that when people go camping EVERY YEAR nobody ever says to them "Your going camping AGAIN?" I live in CA so I go to DL much more than WDW (I can drive it there in 5 hrs) WDW, I've noticed that BIG trips are about ever 2 yrs and thats good for me. I get a Disney fix once a year and now people around me don't even say AGAIN to me........................they know better! I don't even get the Eye Roll anymore. That I know of :lol: I don't care though everybody has their addiction :ROFLOL::p

Upvote 0

dvcmooch

I'm not alone!

Hi guys ! I've read many boards or forums over the past couple of years, Disney, sports, etc., but never felt the need to respond. But this one touches me. My family made our "once in a lifetime" trip to Walt Disney World in September 2000. That was a bold step for us. A simple family from a small town in North Carolina. The kids, 17, 14, & 4 (at the time) were enthralled with the adventure. My wife and I were concerned it was just another expensive theme park. My gosh, how wrong and how wondefully surprised we were. We stayed a week. The kids had a great time and were ready to get home to tell their friends. As we headed home, my wife and I could not talk. We were both on the verge of tears! I have never been on a vacation where I did not want to get back to my home. Instead of a vacation, it was a journey, an adventure, an experience that will never leave us.
Back to theme of this discussion, I've never been too concerned when friends or acquaintences say, "To Disney again !? " When I respond, they see the "magic" in my eyes ! They see the "magic" in my wife's eyes. And, eventually, they come to us asking about ideas concerning their upcoming trip. They know that we've experienced something very special, very magical. They want to find that magic, too!
Our 37th trip is planned for the first week of December. I can't wait to get there!
I'm a 51 year old male who is not embarassed to say that my life has been influenced by a "mouse" !

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

This topic is certain to hit home to those of you have vacationed at Walt Disney World more than once every couple of years. As Disney Vacation Club members our family has had the ability to go to Walt Disney World three times a year. Being teachers we are limited to vacationing during Spring Break, Summer, and Christmas time.

Most of our friends and family know of our love for Disney and do not think anything of it. But we do get the traditional comment, “You’re going to Disney again?” That is usually followed up with, “Why?” We always say that we love it, our kids love it, and it is a safe place to be. People ask us all the time, “Don’t you get sick of it” and “Isn’t it just the same thing?” We used to try to explain to others why we love Disney, how it is different each trip, and that we try to do something unique each time, and that each season offers a different feel to the parks. Now we don’t even bother. It isn’t worth it.

The funny thing is that those who question us are the ones who like to vacation at the beach EVERY YEAR, or head to Gulf Shores etc…We never question them as to why they go there every year. We never say, “Isn’t it boring lying around on a beach all day” or ask “How much fun is that for your kids?” If that is what their family likes to do, then more power to them. It isn’t right for me to question them about what they like, so I am not sure why a Disney vacation isn’t held to the same standard.

I have come to the realization that there are two groups of people who view Disney, those who “get it” and those who “don’t.” The ones who don’t get Disney will never understand our love for the place, no matter what we say. Those who get Disney are the ones that continue to go back again and again. I love the people who want to give Walt Disney World advice and say how boring a place it is when they start off a sentence with, “15 years ago when I was there….”

The truth is Walt Disney World is a fun, safe place for our family. It works for us. I am sure that in a few years when our daughters are both teenagers they may not want to go to Walt Disney World with us. That is fine because right now is what is important. They love it and have had some of the most memorable experiences a child could have by going there. I think this quote says it all about Disney, "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

Your story sounds so similar to mine. My husband and I are teachers, too. We adore WDW and travel there as often as our schedule allows it. Everyone in WV goes to Myrtle Beach for their vacation. I don't like Myrtle Beach. When I say that people look at me like I've sprouted two heads. They always say you've been to WDW so many times! Aren't you bored? Another thing I often hear is WDW isn't a vacation! All you do is stand in line.
You are so right. You either get it or you don't. No explanations are necessary.

Upvote 0

DISMOM

Our first trip was May, 2004. My big concern was that, after months of planning, Disney would not live up to the hype and expectations.....boy, was I wrong. My husband and I 'got it'. We have been back twice since then. People now comment to us, 'well, you've been there and the kids are getting older. I'm sure that they have outgrown Disney by now.' Our kids are now 10 and 12. They have not outgrown Disney yet and I hope that they never will. I know that I'm 43, and I'm not outgrowing Disney any time soon.
At Disney, you are either a Disney Fan and 'get it', or not. Some people are beach fans. I tried that vacation in 2007, and thought that I would die of boredom. We love our marathon, go-till-you-drop, vacations. There is always something new to see...and we try to see it all.!!! We can always rest the other 103 weeks between Disney vacations.

Upvote 0

CatsMeow

We get the same thing. I have learned to say, "yeah, how about that?" and leave it at that. If you get it, you get it. If you don't (like my neighbor), it is just not worth getting into. Perhaps they are jealous! :animwink:

Upvote 0
My family has been to Disney probably over ten times since my son was born in 1994. For the life of us, my DH and I can't figure out why we never went before then. This December will be our first trip alone. We can hardly wait. No matter how many times we've been, I make sure to plan something new that we've never done or go to a place not visited before. All of you hardcore members know that it's not hard to do at WDW. This time, we get to take the Keys to the Kingdom Tour and see the utilidors! And actually visit each country in the World Showcase in Epcot and not rush through to go ride Mission Space again. When I told my co-worker of our plans, I got the "Disney Again" comment. Didn't even phase me. And we can hardly wait.

Upvote 0

fosse76

I guess part of the reason people ask is because, well, Disney is expensive and there are so many great places to go, so why keep going back to Disney? People who go the beach yearly aren't spending near as much as someone who constantly goes to Disney. So I understand the thinking. That said, also some people may be a bit envious. Disneyworld, though definitely not an elitest destination per se, can often be seen as a vacation destination for those with money (particulary those who go often). So there can be a little jealousy. My boss at work thinks its nice that I go about once a year around my birthday, as sort of a tradition-in-the-making. If people ask why, just say the truth: because I want to go, that's why. There's no better reason than that.

However, for people who go to Disney once or twice a year, but don't go anywhere else, I would suggest skipping Disneyworld for two years, and during one of those two years go to Europe...that is a far better vacation than anything Disney could cook up.

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

My family has been to Disney probably over ten times since my son was born in 1994. For the life of us, my DH and I can't figure out why we never went before then. This December will be our first trip alone. We can hardly wait. No matter how many times we've been, I make sure to plan something new that we've never done or go to a place not visited before. All of you hardcore members know that it's not hard to do at WDW. This time, we get to take the Keys to the Kingdom Tour and see the utilidors! And actually visit each country in the World Showcase in Epcot and not rush through to go ride Mission Space again. When I told my co-worker of our plans, I got the "Disney Again" comment. Didn't even phase me. And we can hardly wait.

Try the Artist Point for a nice romantic dinner for two.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom