Walt Disney Imagineering make significant appointment for upcoming Walt Disney World projects

jt04

What you call a "meager" budget would be a substantial one in the real world (the average smaller company that can put together a good quality ride for ten percent of the average Disney budget) of theme park development. The fact is that both the Imagination project and the Nemo Seas project were very poorly executed. I'm not only blaming her but my point is that so many are getting excited when the record shows that she has very little to do with whether the final product turns out bad or good.

Eddie Sotto seems encouraged by the news. Is there something you know?

And I love the Nemo overlay when you consider the limited area they had to work. Just getting rid of the hydrolators was worth whatever they spent. Nothing but germ boxes. And they smelled like the barge water at Uni.

Tom

Beta Return

And I love the Nemo overlay when you consider the limited area they had to work. Just getting rid of the hydrolators was worth whatever they spent. Nothing but germ boxes. And they smelled like the barge water at Uni.

Proper maintenance and cleaning could have eliminated what you're describing. IMO, the hydrolators were an ingenious introduction to the "show" that was The Living Seas. You didn't just walk into a big room with aquariums. You entered elevators that took you down beneath the sea, where upon exiting you were "under water".

Not the most efficient means of conveying guests into a pavilion, but completely removing them was, again in my opinion, a loss, and another instance of dumbing down the experience.

whylightbulb

No I'm simply stating that having Kathy run future Florida projects means absolutely nothing with respect to the quality of those projects. They will either turn out good or bad but in the end will have nothing to do with her.

jt04

No, WDI is bloated and amazingly inefficient.

Possibly I really do not know. With all the work they have to do with China and other rumors perhaps they are not that bloated. I keep hearing more and more about WDI creating amazing new technologies outside of theme park attractions. Seems to be a weekly thing now.

And they still produce the best attractions IMO. See RSR.

Tom

Beta Return
^^ Those are Disney Research, not WDI right?

Yes. Entirely different division of the company, tasked with inventing and patenting things.

Which causes me to bring up the fact that people jump to a lot of conclusions when they see patents being published (like touch-sensitive plants, flying machines, etc). When a patent is published - whether final or pending - that's the end of a several-year process.

So, to say that the interactive flowers are evidence of Avatar Land isn't quite logical. Nothing being patented right now could possibly be for a P&R project that was just recently announced.

That doesn't mean they won't use the technology, but it's certainly not evidence. The R&D department is simply challenged with the task of inventing as much cool stuff as they possibly can, so that Disney can own patents for use in-house, or to sell off to 3rd parties or even competitors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom