News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

roj2323

NO. Dear God, no. Blizzard Beach is one of the last hold outs of colorful and fun 1990s era Disney. It does not need to be updated with IP, just upgrade what's there.
The 1990's is an era I work to forget existed. It simply took the worst of the 1980's covered it in pastels and integrated technology that tried to do more than it was really capable of at the time.

Evidence: pink-castle.jpg

celluloid

I don't get what 17 billion is to brag about when you have four theme parks, around 20 hotels, water parks, to mini golf courses and dinner theater show to maintain and add to for a decade. They will invest less than two billion a year into the most visited place 22 square miles large on the planet? It does not go that far anymore with the company's internal inflation and bonuses, and surely won't by the end of the decade.

Bragging that they will do what they are supposed to do?

John park hopper

I plan on spending 17 billion at Walt Disney world over the next 10 years -------that's only if I win the lottery multiple times --not likely to happen just as I don't see Disney spending 17 billion good PR sound bite---- we will see

KeithVH

Don't forget one thing - FVM (future value of money). In this case, a corollary to the law of diminishing returns. $17B now will NOT have the purchasing power that it does right now in five (or 10) years from now. Even if they frontload spend, planning for something in 2030 using 2023 dollars is a fools errand.

doctornick

nah... just floating the statement to remind everyone they put a huge amount of resources into Florida... money the public benefits from too... so 'remember, we're the good guys' PR messaging.
while i agree, investing ~$1.7B a year - even assuming that was all going to CapEx - wouldn't really be anything crazy for WDW even if future value of money/inflation is accounted for. That would probably allow for something in the realm of 1-2 attractions a year over that time which is basically what they have been doing in recent years, which still a bunch of the money going to the resorts and infrastructure.

flynnibus

Premium Member
while i agree, investing ~$1.7B a year - even assuming that was all going to CapEx

And even that’s a tall assumption….

wouldn't really be anything crazy for WDW even if future value of money/inflation is accounted for. That would probably allow for something in the realm of 1-2 attractions a year over that time which is basically what they have been doing in recent years, which still a bunch of the money going to the resorts and infrastructure.

Yes - this is all about stroking the public… here’s a really big number!!!!

It was not a statement to try to convince analysts or the like about future growth or investment.

And this is going exactly as planned… the gen pop is drooling about 17bil gets them… all while Disney didn’t actually commit to anything of substance

EPCOT-O.G.

The 1990's is an era I work to forget existed. It simply took the worst of the 1980's covered it in pastels and integrated technology that tried to do more than it was really capable of at the time.

Evidence: pink-castle.jpg
I would take just about every aspect of 90’s popular culture - with the exception of current era of television - over what we get now. Music, films, books, all far superior.

Tom P.

I would take just about every aspect of 90’s popular culture - with the exception of current era of television - over what we get now. Music, films, books, all far superior.
As a Star Trek fan, I wholeheartedly disagree with you about current vs. 90's television. For that matter, as a Disney fan who grew up partially in the 90's, I would take the 90's-era Disney Channel programming over the crap they air now any day.

Naplesgolfer

There is a reasonable hope that Disney increases Capex in WDW based on Wall Street's current view that the parks division is the more consistent earner and warrants more investment. What that increased level actually equals is anyone's guess.

Vegas Disney Fan

At the speed Disney builds I don’t think it’s possible for them to spend that much on new rides in a decade so most of it must be earmarked for renovating existing rides and resorts.

It’s enough money they could theoretically add a couple dozen new E-tickets (6 per park) but it would take Disney 40 years to build them.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
I kinda wish they'd spend some money fixing what's already in the parks rather than expanding. Epcot needs spaceship earth remodeled and 2 more attractions in world showcase along with updates in sea base (Nemo needs an update) and living with the land (needs a first floor entry). Animal Kingdom needs Dinoland USA completely remodeled or replaced. Hollywood studios needs replacements for what's been abandoned in the former Animation Courtyard along with plumbing infrastructure replacement by the tower of terror bathrooms and Magic Kingdom still needs stitch's great escape replaced, Tom Sawyer Island remodeled and the Swiss Family treehouse replaced with something ADA compliant. Finally, while the water parks are in good condition, Typhoon Lagoon is 34 years old and can't compete with Volcano Bay without a major investment. It would also be cool to see Blizzard Beach have a stronger tie into Frozen's IP as a way to make that park more appealing to modern tourists.
DinoLand should be remodeled, while its Dinorama section can go.

celluloid

while i agree, investing ~$1.7B a year - even assuming that was all going to CapEx - wouldn't really be anything crazy for WDW even if future value of money/inflation is accounted for. That would probably allow for something in the realm of 1-2 attractions a year over that time which is basically what they have been doing in recent years, which still a bunch of the money going to the resorts and infrastructure.

Exactly. It is so digustingly below average when you consider E Tickets cost nearly 500 million apiece these days and the biggest investment are always into resorts and DVC units. And 1.7 billion is not likely to go much further in six years from now let alone 10. If this was them getting away with building a theme park for a couple billion than we could be excited. We are back to getting one new large scale attraction every 4 years from all four theme parks.

Indy_UK

Does anyone think that Disney are leaving the Animation courtyard area alone in the hope that long term, they do gain the Marvel theme park rights back because other than opening as part of a new park, there isn’t anywhere else the land could go?

roj2323

Does anyone think that Disney are leaving the Animation courtyard area alone in the hope that long term, they do gain the Marvel theme park rights back because other than opening as part of a new park, there isn’t anywhere else the land could go?
no. There's acres of expansion areas they haven't yet used and retheming of Rockin rollercoaster is going to happen at some point so that along with the Cars theater would make more sense for a marvel overlay realistically speaking. Also it's been long rumored that Indy and the whole central area to the left of the theater is going to get redone at some point too so really it's anyone's guess as to what they are going to do with it. If I had to guess I'd bet on something Pixar related personally.

TheMaxRebo

Exactly. It is so digustingly below average when you consider E Tickets cost nearly 500 million apiece these days and the biggest investment are always into resorts and DVC units. And 1.7 billion is not likely to go much further in six years from now let alone 10. If this was them getting away with building a theme park for a couple billion than we could be excited. We are back to getting one new large scale attraction every 4 years from all four theme parks.

I know on the Disney Dish Len Testa talked about this and did look at the inflation impact and estimate that 17bn over the next 10 years is worth about 14 billion in today's dollars, so about 1.4bn a year - and based on what they have reported spending int he past is similar to what they spent over the past 10 years ... so it isn't like some huge windfall and will definitely be a 5th gate or anything, but also isn't nothing

In the past 10 years we got (off the top of my head):
- the finish of new fantasy land
- Pandora
- Galaxy's Edge
- MMRR, Guardains, Remy, Tron, Frozen Ever After,
- Some new / replacement hotels and DVC (Gran Destino, Riviera, etc)
- The Skyliner
- Disney Springs

So I think we can see that as the scale of the next 10 years

JoeCamel

I know on the Disney Dish Len Testa talked about this and did look at the inflation impact and estimate that 17bn over the next 10 years is worth about 14 billion in today's dollars, so about 1.4bn a year - and based on what they have reported spending int he past is similar to what they spent over the past 10 years ... so it isn't like some huge windfall and will definitely be a 5th gate or anything, but also isn't nothing

In the past 10 years we got (off the top of my head):
- the finish of new fantasy land
- Pandora
- Galaxy's Edge
- MMRR, Guardains, Remy, Tron, Frozen Ever After,
- Some new / replacement hotels and DVC (Gran Destino, Riviera, etc)
- The Skyliner
- Disney Springs

So I think we can see that as the scale of the next 10 years
Unless they just pack up the whole operation and move to Texas.... ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom