News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

KeithVH

I go to SeaWorld to see Penguins.
giphy.gif

Disstevefan1

Universal is not going to takeaway attendance from MK, but they are fighting against the other WDW parks for the remaining days in a family's trip.

Universal's hotels are booked to capacity most weekends now. Attendance at Universal since 2010 has grown 3x. Disney has grown, but not at that rate.
I have no data, but I think Universal Orlando is taking days here and there from folks who normally vacation exclusively at WDW.

I think you don't see it in the numbers because there are so many NEW visitors to WDW that more than makes up for any loss of days that result from Universal visits.

Success does not have to be measured by being listed at the top of at chart someplace.

BlakeW39

I go to SeaWorld to see Penguins.

Real talk though, a land at DAK focused on non-tropical ecosystems would rock. Everytime someone mentions a South America land I think, "well sure, but what about a North America land?" Or even a European/North Asian land. More monkeys and big cats are great and all, but what about wolves, bears, moose, and yes, penguins....would be cool to see something like that brought to the park.

Disstevefan1

Real talk though, a land at DAK focused on non-tropical ecosystems would rock. Everytime someone mentions a South America land I think, "well sure, but what about a North America land?" Or even a European/North Asian land. More monkeys and big cats are great and all, but what about wolves, bears, moose, and yes, penguins....would be cool to see something like that brought to the park.
Seriously, I would love to see a Penguin exabit at AK!

Tom P.

Kind of a side point, but: Just what is it about Magic Kingdom? Over and over again, I see references like "Universal won't touch MK, but they can pull people from the other parks." What is it that makes Magic Kingdom so special? And why is neither Disney nor Universal able to duplicate that in another park? Why is it just accepted that any other Orlando park will always run second to Magic Kingdom?

Jrb1979

Kind of a side point, but: Just what is it about Magic Kingdom? Over and over again, I see references like "Universal won't touch MK, but they can pull people from the other parks." What is it that makes Magic Kingdom so special? And why is neither Disney nor Universal able to duplicate that in another park? Why is it just accepted that any other Orlando park will always run second to Magic Kingdom?
IMO a lot has to do with MK being the most family friendly park out of all of the Orlando parks. It also has the most attractions that any age can ride.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
IMO a lot has to do with MK being the most family friendly park out of all of the Orlando parks. It also has the most attractions that any age can ride.
Absolutely in the family-friendly aspect, but it's also what the masses associate culturally with "DISNEY WORLDDDD."

It's the reason why Tokyo DisneySea, while historically having a higher attendance than all the secondary WDW parks, is still slightly lesser attended than Tokyo Disneyland, even though it's vastly superior. Though, Fantasy Springs might finally give it that final push.

If people want an MK experience, they should instead head to Disneyland Park. It's unreal, modern, more relaxing, overflowing with rides, and just makes MK look like a joke.

Last edited:

BlakeW39

The castle and the fantasy and the magic and all that bs are super entrenched in American culture. Castle parks have special privilege.

MagicHappens1971

The Castle. No other reason.

Midwest Elitist

Magic and Nostalgia that is slowly being scraped away. It is losing it's immunity.

Naplesgolfer

Magic and Nostalgia that is slowly being scraped away. It is losing it's immunity.
You are so right. Disney management doesn’t seem to realize they are not replacing the Nostalgic prime customers to replace those aging out or passing away. They really need 4 rides on each of the 4 parks in WDW and a refurb of at least 5. This 17 billion needs to be cap ex and front loaded. They also need to make it easier with less planning. More attractions will make Genie + work much better.

Midwest Elitist

You are so right. Disney management doesn’t seem to realize they are not replacing the Nostalgic prime customers to replace those aging out or passing away. They really need 4 rides on each of the 4 parks in WDW and a refurb of at least 5. This 17 billion needs to be cap ex and front loaded. They also need to make it easier with less planning. More attractions will make Genie + work much better.
Instead of adding to the capacity they desperately needed, they are replacing what's already good.

DisneyDoctor

More acreage in MK would help disperse crowds well too.

bmr1591

It's interesting watching Disneyland Paris announcing all these new things today. Curious if we'll have to wait until D23 to get any info about the future of WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom