News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

Andrew25

With how good the insiders are on this board (and across the web), I'm calling major BS on anything Disney is trying to act they have up their sleeves'. Rumors are always leaked on what they are working on, and there has been nothing hinted at for years? (I can't even think of the last rumor that was spreading around - besides the garbage blue sky at D23 that was totally baseless).

When insiders were surprised by Disneyland Forward, that told me everything I needed to know. Disney PR is very good.

If things were actually in the works for $17B, we would be hearing rumors left and right.

Kamikaze

With how good the insiders are on this board (and across the web), I'm calling major BS on anything Disney is trying to act they have up their sleeves'. Rumors are always leaked on what they are working on, and there has been nothing hinted at for years? (I can't even think of the last rumor that was spreading around - besides the garbage blue sky at D23 that was totally baseless).
A lot of insiders have left, and a lot of their sources have left TWDC.

Not saying anything is coming. But the well for information isn't what it was.

doctornick

When insiders were surprised by Disneyland Forward, that told me everything I needed to know. Disney PR is very good.

If things were actually in the works for $17B, we would be hearing rumors left and right.

Insiders here have indicated that the "blue sky" they presented at D23 (DAK and MK) are both very real ideas in development but perhaps not greenlight. also, insiders here have indicated that WDI is very active in terms of developing new/large stuff for the parks even though specifics are hard to come by.

So, yes, I would be included to believe that at least some of the $17B is real and planned to be spent to develop new "stuff" at WDW in the relatively near future (say 3-5 year horizon).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Insiders here have indicated that the "blue sky" they presented at D23 (DAK and MK) are both very real ideas in development but perhaps not greenlight. also, insiders here have indicated that WDI is very active in terms of developing new/large stuff for the parks even though specifics are hard to come by.

So, yes, I would be included to believe that at least some of the $17B is real and planned to be spent to develop new "stuff" at WDW in the relatively near future (say 3-5 year horizon).

*Points at title of thread* 10 years. :)

doctornick

*Points at title of thread* 10 years. :)

Right...?

Plans can and will change for the future, but I was responding to the idea that "we would have heard something" if there were plans to spend significant money in the near future. We have heard such things, just not concrete details yet.

Outside of the next 3-5 years or so, I doubt there would be anything to even know about. Nothing would be approved at this point so there would be no plans. Maybe there is some aspirational stuff being considered. That doesn't mean that money will or will not be spent in (say) 5-10 years from now. Especially under new leadership. We just wouldn't know, even if there is a firm commitment now to spend that much over 10 years.

Disney Dad 3000

Synopsis: Universal Creative got cold feet on Zelda and wanted to wait to see a ROI for other Nintendo properties. Now that they’ve seen it, they’re going full steam ahead.

It really is wild that Universal shows no signs of stopping while they have a whole new park in the works, nevermind replacing an old attraction (shrek), redoing the kidzone and most likely with big plans for Lost Continent. Would have been easy to keep Poseidon going until EU opens and then do something, but have to assume they have immediate plans to start work on the space.

Would love to see this give Disney a kick in the pants to spend that 17B earlier, but if they weren't going to really do that with EU, don't see this moving the needle (maybe?). As many have said, have to assume they feel they are good with Tron open and Tiana in the pipeline. I think it's a given Moana gets confirmed at/before DD23. Question is, do they actually go into high gear on a project again for the first time in a bit.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Right...?

Plans can and will change for the future, but I was responding to the idea that "we would have heard something" if there were plans to spend significant money in the near future. We have heard such things, just not concrete details yet.

Outside of the next 3-5 years or so, I doubt there would be anything to even know about. Nothing would be approved at this point so there would be no plans. Maybe there is some aspirational stuff being considered. That doesn't mean that money will or will not be spent in (say) 5-10 years from now. Especially under new leadership. We just wouldn't know, even if there is a firm commitment now to spend that much over 10 years.

Gotcha.

Here's the thing - There would have to be shovels moving dirt for something new to be open 5 years from today, let alone 3 years. To me, Iger's statement is very back-loaded and absolutely feels like PR-written-to-score-public-opinion-points fluff in order to make it sound like TWDC is going to be spending tons of money in the state over the next 10 years and curry favor.

As I've said several times, I'm taking this whole "We're going to spend $17 billion on WDW In the next 10 years" stuff with a very large grain of salt.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's amazing how WDW is claiming $17B in investments while Universal is actually working on stuff without having to show off a figure.

Universal is pretty much spending a similar, if not more, amount at their own resort over the next few years.
Yeah, I know! What's Universal trying to hide?!?!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Actually, our best Insiders have always said there were other things in the works that were not made known. Mostly because they didn't get their greenlight budget yet. And consequently, our Insiders were not 'breaking' scoops about things not greenlit, nor were they going to expose their sources.

The lack of insider leaks doesn't mean there aren't plans in the works. Or, it may, but not necessarily.

SplashJacket

It really is wild that Universal shows no signs of stopping while they have a whole new park in the works, nevermind replacing an old attraction (shrek), redoing the kidzone and most likely with big plans for Lost Continent. Would have been easy to keep Poseidon going until EU opens and then do something, but have to assume they have immediate plans to start work on the space.

Would love to see this give Disney a kick in the pants to spend that 17B earlier, but if they weren't going to really do that with EU, don't see this moving the needle (maybe?). As many have said, have to assume they feel they are good with Tron open and Tiana in the pipeline. I think it's a given Moana gets confirmed at/before DD23. Question is, do they actually go into high gear on a project again for the first time in a bit.
Universal’s current lineup:
  • 2023: Minions
  • 2024: KidZone
  • 2025: Epic Universe
  • 2026/2027?: Zelda?
WDW’s current lineup
  • 2023: Tron/Epcot Spine
  • 2024: TBA
  • 2025: 🦗
  • 2026+: Maybe Moana at Animal Kingdom/Magic Kingdom Expansions

Indy_UK

Crazy thing is, while Universal is going full stream on bulking their parks, I think they’re still being a little overconfident that they are actually going to take away much marketshare

Andrew25

Crazy thing is, while Universal is going full stream on bulking their parks, I think they’re still being a little overconfident that they are actually going to take away much marketshare

Universal is not going to takeaway attendance from MK, but they are fighting against the other WDW parks for the remaining days in a family's trip.

Universal's hotels are booked to capacity most weekends now. Attendance at Universal since 2010 has grown 3x. Disney has grown, but not at that rate.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
No, not at all. High-quality capacity is the #1 issue with all of the Orlando parks.

Adding more rides and lands will bring more people in. I'm sure it will also take people away from the other Orlando parks too (minus MK), but they can then accommodate other people that they presently can't, so I think as long as Disney has a response to Universal I see no reason why all the major Orlando parks can't still grow.
Keep telling yourself that. Universal didn’t just open the 2nd highest grossing opening week animated feature of all time, nothing to see, move along, move along.
I 100% agree. Nintendo is arguably a top 5 IP worldwide in terms of popularity. It's just been untapped this whole time.

We're finally seeing evidence of that.

Last edited:

KeithVH

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but how does the ideation process currently work at TWDC. Would like to understand this a little more. The reading I've done, and some of the shows I've watched, lead me to believe you had one (or a very select few people) who actually developed the original ideas of that are now elements of the parks. Sometimes those ideas were VERY detailed and just a matter of building it. More engineering, rather than imagination, at that point.

My impression now is a huge amount of groupthink with teams and study groups and forcing an entertainment model into an IP mold. I guess I just don't see Iger waking up one morning and saying "I just dreamed about this, go build this coold new ride concept/show/experience . . ." However, that is my understanding of how things WERE done back in the day. Anyone have the details of what it's like now? Besides being a dog's dinner of process?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom