News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, knocking 1.7 billion out of a 1 trillion economy, is going to have some negative consequences. Especially if it happens every year for a decade.....

This is little Florida, not the whole of America.
Well…they’re not threatening to withhold sales tax…which is what Florida and the counties really love…

Now less investment is gonna really hit the scumbag landlords hard…less CMs to whack 60% of their take home for a 1 bedroom 😎

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Maybe I'm naive, but wouldn't Disney not spending 17 billion in Florida over the next decade hurt Disney more than it would hurt the state of Florida? Disney makes more money from Orlando than they make from any other location around the globe and I'm hard pressed to see how they would make as good of an ROI putting 17B into DLR or DLP instead of Orlando (especially when they keep so many customers on property with their army of onsite hotels and restaurants). As long as guests keep coming to Disney, Florida still collects the taxes, and it seems if they aren't coming to Disney, Universal and Sea World are doing everything they can to get guests coming there (so again, the revenue stays in Florida).

[...Though if Disney decided to not spend 17 billion in Florida and instead spend 17 Billion to build a new resort in the North East (i.e. close to me) I wouldn't complain!]

seascape

You know what’s funny is I used to be very free market, and I still am (to an extent). But now I realize there are issues more important to the health of society than just the economy (which is still important obviously). It’s why I support this new dose of Teddy Roosevelt I’m seeing here in FL.
Then do away with the Distric and put Disney under the counties. What DeSantis is doing is aimed at harming Disney, not treating them equally.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe I'm naive, but wouldn't Disney not spending 17 billion in Florida over the next decade hurt Disney more than it would hurt the state of Florida? Disney makes more money from Orlando than they make from any other location around the globe and I'm hard pressed to see how they would make as good of an ROI putting 17B into DLR or DLP instead of Orlando (especially when they keep so many customers on property with their army of onsite hotels and restaurants). As long as guests keep coming to Disney, Florida still collects the taxes, and it seems if they aren't coming to Disney, Universal and Sea World are doing everything they can to get guests coming there (so again, the revenue stays in Florida).

[...Though if Disney decided to not spend 17 billion in Florida and instead spend 17 Billion to build a new resort in the North East (i.e. close to me) I wouldn't complain!]
Well their investment level the entire Iger era has not been enough to keep increasing quarterly results…

So yes…I think you’re right

But nobody would believe that because SOME things still take time to be self evident

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Then do away with the Distric and put Disney under the counties. What DeSantis is doing is aimed at harming Disney, not treating them equally.
Disney really built those counties…not Vice versa

The allure of Florida since the invention of air conditioning is it attracted people who had ZERO intention of paying for good community infrastructure and had a force of minimum wage migrants to serve those that did not want to pay…

So the counties would be overwhelmed if they had to take on the burdens you’re suggesting as it stands.

But as mom just said…no need for more reedy.
It’s hard not to…but a nice breath of fresh air

Tha Realest

So how about that $17 billion dollars?
My wife just told me she was spending $20,000 on me this year for Father’s Day.

Left unsaid was that number’s comprised of recurring charges such as our family’s gym membership, auto insurance, home insurance, property taxes, gas bills, and the like.

That’s essentially what that $17bn represents. Unsexy, normal course of action spending.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
A $17b investment from Disney would turn into revenue for Disney no matter where it's invested. But investing it elsewhere denies Florida those jobs and tax revenue.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, I'm just curious as to the "true" impact that each side would feel. I mean, as a public statement, Disney saying "hey, we're possibly going to withhold spending 17B on Orlando... money that would have resulted in thousands of new jobs", it causes a big public stir amongst a lot of bases (including die hard Disney fans who are concerned they may not get their new Star Wars ride or Pandora expansion or 5th gate or "Beyond" [insert ride name here]). But also, a lot can/will change in 10 years (including the Govenor of FL and the CEO of Disney) and Disney's clearly not going to just "give up" on Florida.

All I'm saying is that is seems like there's a lot of posturing going on (by both sides). A lot of things being thrown around just to create headlines (like adding toll roads or spending 17B over the next 10 years or building a prison on Disney Property or withholding 17B of spending over the next 10 years). But I guess that is to be expected. Gaining public support goes a long way in things like this.

I'll just be happy when it's all over...

BlakeW39

Left unsaid was that number’s comprised of recurring charges such as our family’s gym membership, auto insurance, home insurance, property taxes, gas bills, and the like.

That’s essentially what that $17bn represents. Unsexy, normal course of action spending.

It really couldn't include all of that. If that were the case, the number would be larger than $17bn. Remember, this $17bn is being spread out over a decade

Chi84

Premium Member

Are you sure? That's not what the term "investment" implies - those are operating costs, aren't they?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

Investment implies additional spending beyond usual operational costs.

matt9112

A $17b investment from Disney would turn into revenue for Disney no matter where it's invested. But investing it elsewhere denies Florida those jobs and tax revenue.

That’s not true…. You assume disney profits from every dollar…we know they don’t. Streaming is evidence enough. Further more there only other domestic resort ( California) doesn’t have nearly as much room to grow. Let alone how hard it can be to deal with the city of Anaheim. There not exactly disney fan boys are they?

Disney world is the safest and most reliable way to generate revenue period FULL STOP. It has the best risk/reward ratio out of all the parks. It also far outpaces streaming or film.

To be fair maybe the cruise line is a better buy but wouldn’t that just benefit Florida anyway?

Politics aside people talking about how disney can just up and go else where or get the same return elsewhere are mistaken. Period.

BlakeW39

The $17bn isn't all 'sexy stuff'... it's not just like $1.7bn a year spent on new lands and attractions... there's a lot of stuff in there that we around here would consider boring. However what isn't included in that number are operational costs. Particularly because, from my understanding, it costs more than $1.7bn/year to operate WDW, and therefore if those costs were included in this 'investment' number...this investment number would by proxy have to be a lot larger

ToTBellHop

The $17bn isn't all 'sexy stuff'... it's not just like $1.7bn a year spent on new lands and attractions... there's a lot of stuff in there that we around here would consider boring. However what isn't included in that number are operational costs. Particularly because, from my understanding, it costs more than $1.7bn/year to operate WDW, and therefore if those costs were included in this 'investment' number...this investment number would by proxy have to be a lot larger
Yes, it’s understood to mean an increase in spending over baseline. They are not including the cost of toilet paper at 50s Prime Time.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Politics aside people talking about how disney can just up and go else where or get the same return elsewhere are mistaken. Period.
I've never suggested that.

But I have suggested that there are other places where Disney has investments, and that there are plenty of other places that can be a better place moving forward for Disney to do new business in than in Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom