News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

UNCgolf

In a similar vein, I would encourage you to present prominent examples where "shill" is used as an adjectival noun. While I can see the argument that the company in question is a shill, the phrase "shill corporation" is not anything that appears in common parlance, and "shill" is generally used as a noun or verb. The phrasing is awkward at best and obviously confusing because of its similarity to an actual turn of phrase in "shell corporation".

I can think of ways a company could be labeled as a shill, but I don't see it here. Secretly purchasing land doesn't really do anything to publicly promote Disney.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
It is fascinating to read about all of the shenanigans that went on (on both sides) in the 60’s and 70’s. I’m surprised Disney got away with it for so long.
Yeah. That Disney getting away with...

*checks notes*

Hiring 75000 people
Turning a backwater and swampland into the world's most visited tourist destination
Paying double taxes on their properties.

mkt

Premium Member
Disney himself said why they did it, paraphrase to prevent artificial rising of prices. In fact Disney has had that clip in several films/shows about the history of Disney
RC was established after an interview Walt Disney gave stating as much
Reedy Creek Ranch Inc, Bay Lake Properties Inc, Tomahawk Properties Inc, Ayefour Corporation, and Latin American Development and Management Corporation owned the titles to all the land that Disney bought. Those companies were wholly owned by Compass East Corporation, a wholly Disney Controlled Delaware Corporation.

It's fascinating.

BlakeW39

It’s a play on words to make my point. A Shell company, in this context, wouldn’t make sense.

"Where the magic began: Walt Disney used code names, shell corporations to buy land for Disney World"

"How Disney used shell companies to start its Magic Kingdom"

😹😹 let's move on pal.

mkt

Premium Member
What a fun thread tonight.

D+ question -

How do you stop the subscriber loss by raising costs and reducing content?

I know the story of increasing quality but are they capable of that?
Streaming services are on a bit of a downswing given that now to get all the content you want, it's as expensive as just getting cable TV.

Personally, Disney should offer 3 new tiers.
1- cheaper ad-supported Disney+, similar to the cheaper Hulu subscription;
2- free very limited version of Disney+ for WDW/DLR APs, DVC, and D23 members (think legacy content that costs nothing to stream)
3- free very limited ad-supported version, similar to the free version of NBC's Peacock

BlakeW39

$17bn doesn't impress me, and knowing TWDC today they'd just spend it on retheming Spaceship Earth or Kilimanjaro Safaris or something. Under current corporate leadership, I am simply not excited to hear about financial investment at Walt Disney World.

Last edited by a moderator:

celluloid

17 billion in a decade with over 40 square miles of themed entertainment venues from theme parks, water parks, dinner show, 20 some odd hotels to mini golf courses and sports complexes is...

What should be spent. Not anything to get excited about as if new big things are coming at a rate faster than they have been for the current decade under current leadership.

BlakeW39

17 billion in a decade with over 40 square miles of themed entertainment venues from theme parks, water parks, dinner show, 20 some odd hotels to mini golf courses and sports complexes is...

What should be spent. Not anything to get excited about as if new big things are coming at a rate faster than they have been for the current decade under current leadership.

Exactly... people acting like they haven't seen what TWDC has been doing these past 15 years or so... ain't nothin to get excited about here.

Sea Pea

What would Central Florida's economy be if Disney hadn't decided to open a theme park there and had chosen somewhere else? All it really was before Disney's arrival was a wintering spot for 'Snowbirds'. Would SeaWorld, Universal and all the other tourist attractions gone there under their own volition? Unlikely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom