News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

Trauma

If Great Movie Ride was remade at DHS, how many years would that take to happen? One year GMR was closed for 6 months for "rehab". When we went back after it opened back up, the only item noticeable was there was new carpeting in the pre show area.
Carpet takes time.

Well unless it’s carpet in new DVC units.

erasure fan1

Yes.

Iger's comments about capacity after witnessing how many people come for new attractions, so replacing old ones keeps capacity the same and you can't grow because of it.
I don't see any way great movie ride stays open if it hadn't been closed already. Iger knew exactly what he was doing. He knew star wars and toy story would be big draws and he shut the ride down anyway. You don't make comments like, I can just email galaxys edge is open and people will be lined up for miles... if you don't think it will draw big crowds. Iger cares about very little except for profit. Adding capacity doesn't help you sell lightning lane and genie plus. Keeping GMR would just be flushing profit down the toilet with maintenance. And while Genie plus and ILL was technically started under Chapek. It was definitely Igers baby.

BrianLo

Talking about the $17 billion, is that net investment, subtracting depreciation; or gross investment, do you think?

I'd expect a similar investment outlay as the previous decade. Contingent on how much is merely replacement and of course they are fully capable of throwing lots of money at bad projects. With maybe a wildcard project beyond the parks.

No matter how much it's minimized, there was a random job target attached to it. It's not only maintenance.

JoeCamel

I'd expect a similar investment outlay as the previous decade. Contingent on how much is merely replacement and of course they are fully capable of throwing lots of money at bad projects. With maybe a wildcard project beyond the parks.

No matter how much it's minimized, there was a random job target attached to it. It's not only maintenance.
But are those jobs normal turnover plus adds for normal growth?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Tom P.

Disney needs Florida and Florida needs Disney. It's that simple. All of this will eventually blow over. DeSantis is not going to be governor forever and Iger is not going to be CEO forever. The will both howl at the moon and stomp their feet, and they'll even have some court battles, but when all is said and done, nothing substantive is changing at Walt Disney World. Guaranteed.

WDWFanRay

This is like anheuser busch threatening beer drinkers that they’ll stop making as much beer, if they don’t give them license to push their agenda. They’re not cutting beer production and Disney’s not going to spend less on their theme park flagship. Hopefully, companies like Disney and anheuser busch have learned to keep out of politics and just concentrate on making money for their shareholders. There’s enough politics in politics. I don’t want to see it when I’m buying a coffee or having a beer or taking a picture with Mickey.

Chi84

Premium Member
Disney needs Florida and Florida needs Disney. It's that simple. All of this will eventually blow over. DeSantis is not going to be governor forever and Iger is not going to be CEO forever. The will both howl at the moon and stomp their feet, and they'll even have some court battles, but when all is said and done, nothing substantive is changing at Walt Disney World. Guaranteed.
Disney is a corporation that will go on and prosper as a business, that's true. DeSantis' future hangs more in the balance. This may hurt him.

James Alucobond

This is like anheuser busch threatening beer drinkers that they’ll stop making as much beer, if they don’t give them license to push their agenda. They’re not cutting beer production and Disney’s not going to spend less on their theme park flagship. Hopefully, companies like Disney and anheuser busch have learned to keep out of politics and just concentrate on making money for their shareholders. There’s enough politics in politics. I don’t want to see it when I’m buying a coffee or having a beer or taking a picture with Mickey.
These are completely different situations. Anheuser Busch's woes are the result of consumer reaction to their political stance. Disney's are the result of a government retaliating against them for exercising their right to free speech. There would be no problem if Disney's customers were simply moving away from the company because their values no longer aligned and they disagreed with the way in which Disney had utilized their first amendment rights.

Figgy1

Premium Member

Disney CEO Bob Iger sends a subtle message to Ron DeSantis that his retaliation against Disney may impact future spending in Florida​

I wonder if this statement means not just parks and resorts but Lake Nona as well

Trauma

Disney CEO Bob Iger sends a subtle message to Ron DeSantis that his retaliation against Disney may impact future spending in Florida​

This is easy to say when you had no plans to spend it anyways.

Tha Realest

Already walking back that $17bn in spending and 15,000 jobs to Florida that were totally going to happen

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom