News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

WDWFanRay

Disney is a corporation that will go on and prosper as a business, that's true. DeSantis' future hangs more in the balance. This may hurt him.
That’s one way to look at it. Or, one could say that Disney has irreversibly shot themselves in their Florida foot and DeSantis will go on to a long and successful political career. Not saying I advocate either, but it doesn’t just have to be the way that you framed it.

James Alucobond

The government in Florida, as elected by the majority of residents, is in fact acting on behalf of the people.
Whether that is true or not is of no consequence whatsoever. The way in which the government treats and deals with citizens and businesses is informed by the Constitution. The Constitution protects your right to stop going to Disney, but it is also supposed to protect Disney’s right to speak freely. Holding firmly to a textualist reading of our governing documents is supposed to be a conservative value; I have to imagine you would feel very differently about this situation if the shoe were on the other foot.

adamt

It is not just Disney. Any business would be stupid to not think long and hard about how our state will retaliate and punish them if they do not do and say exactly what they want. This was over a year ago, too. It is so petty, so anti-american and anti-business, I think Disney would be wise to invest less here. It is unfortunate because I am an Orlando resident.

waagtod

What would Central Florida's economy be if Disney hadn't decided to open a theme park there and had chosen somewhere else? All it really was before Disney's arrival was a wintering spot for 'Snowbirds'. Would SeaWorld, Universal and all the other tourist attractions gone there under their own volition? Unlikely.
Excellent point, there would be no Orlando without Disney. It was a sleepy town in the center of the state, no beaches nothing but heat and mosquitoes. Almost everything that is in Orlando is because of Disney. They are the biggest employers and pay millions in taxes. DeSantis is just after the clicks, and Florida, as always, is just dumb enough to give them.

Chi84

Premium Member
That’s one way to look at it. Or, one could say that Disney has irreversibly shot themselves in their Florida foot and DeSantis will go on to a long and successful political career. Not saying I advocate either, but it doesn’t just have to be the way that you framed it.
So - Disney out of business and President DeSantis. I’m not going to bet on that one but I suppose anything could happen.

Florisa

Don’t mess it’s our Mickey! My children and grandchildren grew up on these beautiful, safe, family oriented parks, and yes, some are gays! Don’t fight Disney! Millions are with Disney including our family!
Ron get your hands off Disney!
Florida loves their Mouse!

WDWFanRay

“What would Central Florida's economy be if Disney hadn't decided to open a theme park there and had chosen somewhere else? All it really was before Disney's arrival was a wintering spot for 'Snowbirds'. Would SeaWorld, Universal and all the other tourist attractions gone there under their own volition? Unlikely”

Walt knew to keep politics out of it. He was an entertainer, not a politician. Florida in the 1960’s was as conservative as it gets. Imagine if Disney would have tried to push any political views on Floridians of the day. They never would have allowed the perks that Disney was given. The only reason Disney is getting resistance in Florida now, is because they are WAY over reaching their original commitments.

MAGICFLOP

Whether that is true or not is of no consequence whatsoever. The way in which the government treats and deals with citizens and businesses is informed by the Constitution. The Constitution protects your right to stop going to Disney, but it is also supposed to protect Disney’s right to speak freely. Holding firmly to a textualist reading of our governing documents is supposed to be a conservative value; I have to imagine you would feel very differently about this situation if the shoe were on the other foot.
Your right about 1st amendment right of Disney, but its an unforced error to get involved where they need not walk. If I owned a store and I hung a sign up that says "women are a burden to society", just because I have a first amendment right to say it, it is stupid because I would cut my business in half at least.
A business like Disney needs to remain in an area of common grounds with all people. If I did not drop my AP in 2016 because I did not like their morals, I certainly would not of survived now. I said in 2016 that I would not go back to the foreseen future and now I could easily say ever.

Jlasoon

Take the L and move on Bob. Your stock is down 50% from the highs. It’s not like you can pack up your park and leave.

FL ain’t Burbank & it’s getting more and more red politically by the minute. Just shut up already. I’m at EPCOT as I type this. You have a serious attendance problem coming your way Bob. This is as empty as I’ve seen the parks. Something is brewing.

WDWFanRay

a
Again, that is beside the point. We can argue back and forth about the degree to which Disney should express their opinion on social issues, but it should be their customers who hold them accountable. The government cannot and should not retaliate against them in their stead.
No one is retaliating against or impeding Disney’s right to do business in Florida. The Florida government is actually doing the opposite by making it more of an even playing field for other entertainment companies in Florida. Disney was given some very unfair perks in the 1960s and it flew under the radar for decades. It’s their own fault that they brought attention to these perks, by pushing California politics on Florida. Should’ve kept their head down.

Chi84

Premium Member
Take the L and move on Bob. Your stock is down 50% from the highs. It’s not like you can pack up your park and leave.

FL ain’t Burbank & it’s getting more and more red politically by the minute. Just shut up already. I’m at EPCOT as I type this. You have a serious attendance problem coming your way Bob. This is as empty as I’ve seen the parks. Something is brewing.
We were in Epcot Monday and it was pretty crowded. I wonder what happened in just two days.

Chi84

Premium Member
a

No one is retaliating against or impeding Disney’s right to do business in Florida. The florida government is actually doing the opposite by making it more even playing field. Disney was given some very unfair perks in the 1960s and it flew under the radar for decades. It’s their own fault that they brought attention to these perks, by pushing California politics on Florida. Should’ve kept their head down.
There’s no retaliation?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom