Walls in HM Queue

thelookingglass

Attacks on Imagineers? Really? :confused:
Contrary to popular belief, most Imagineers are not these magical beings of unlimited inspiration and creativity. That notion, plus the image portrayed of them by TWDC is all just PR fluff.

The ones that ARE like that are being held back by the company anyway.
"Hey I just came up with this incredible new idea for an attraction!"

"Well thats great, but right now we need you to design a projection system that allows guests to see themselves on Cinderella Castle."

WDITrent

I would be glad if, in some way, this refurb allowed for taking the awning down. I know they just installed a new one, but if some way, somehow they could find another way of keeping guests dry, I would be glad to see the view of the Mansion opened up.

inluvwithbeast

Ok, I haven't had the time to peruse the entire 11 pages of this thread. But, would someone mind updating me on what's going to happen with the headstones? Are they going to be relocated as part of the changes to the queue? Thanks, all. :)

Um, no one really knows? Someone has said something that some of the old headstones will be returning. Only a few will be destroyed. I can't remember if it was Steve or Raven, but one of them said that.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I would be glad if, in some way, this refurb allowed for taking the awning down. I know they just installed a new one, but if some way, somehow they could find another way of keeping guests dry, I would be glad to see the view of the Mansion opened up.

As someone who has been to WDW before the awning was put into place, let me tell you that the awning is for more than the thunderstorms.

Now if they could come up with some sort of catacombs queue...that would be a real winner. Keep everyone out of the sun while maintaining the spooky aspect.

enoe01

Now if they could come up with some sort of catacombs queue...that would be a real winner. Keep everyone out of the sun while maintaining the spooky aspect.[/QUOTE]

THREAD WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sohappy:

ttalovebug

I think the new queue area will put some scared little ones more at ease. Not cheesey sight gags or anything just a little light hearted insight to what lies in store for them beyond those doors. I have adult friends who still won't ride it because they swear something is going to come out and grab them.

The expansion of the queue isn't even that large. About 6 or 7 items are currently planned for that area and only incorporate the area the current cemetery is in. Directly past the turnstyles the additional queue will turn left into the new area and rejoin the existing queue a little further down. The reason why I say "additional" queue is because it could simply be gated off if needed. The existing path to the door after the turnstyles will remain. This construction could take up to 6 months. Electrical and plumbing needs to be installed before anything else.

Hmm........... I think what I'm afraid of is too much activity. The idea of the mansion seeming quiet and deserted as you approach it adds to the build-up of going inside and having things revealed slowly, until Madame Leota finally intervenes and the ghosts appear. That's the aspect I'm worried about losing, I think.

Weren't the original tombstones light-hearted to begin with?

TalkingHead

I think the new queue area will put some scared little ones more at ease. Not cheesey sight gags or anything just a little light hearted insight to what lies in store for them beyond those doors. I have adult friends who still won't ride it because they swear something is going to come out and grab them.

The expansion of the queue isn't even that large. About 6 or 7 items are currently planned for that area and only incorporate the area the current cemetery is in. Directly past the turnstyles the additional queue will turn left into the new area and rejoin the existing queue a little further down. The reason why I say "additional" queue is because it could simply be gated off if needed. The existing path to the door after the turnstyles will remain. This construction could take up to 6 months. Electrical and plumbing needs to be installed before anything else.

They did such a good job toning down Alien Encounter when they turned it into SGE that I'm sure this will be a smashing success, too. :rolleyes:

Little kids who are going to be scared are going to be scared. That's all there is to it. A little kiddifying of the queue isn't going to help. If it's a dark, creepy ride, it's gonna freak a lot of them out. End of story.

thelookingglass

As someone who has been to WDW before the awning was put into place, let me tell you that the awning is for more than the thunderstorms.

Now if they could come up with some sort of catacombs queue...that would be a real winner. Keep everyone out of the sun while maintaining the spooky aspect.
The thing is, the exterior of the mansion is not supposed to be scary.

MarkTwain

Hmm........... I think what I'm afraid of is too much activity. The idea of the mansion seeming quiet and deserted as you approach it adds to the build-up of going inside and having things revealed slowly, until Madame Leota finally intervenes and the ghosts appear. That's the aspect I'm worried about losing, I think.

Weren't the original tombstones light-hearted to begin with?

This is one of the issues I'm worried with. I'm actually a little apprehensive about this change for a number of reasons...

1. Doesn't this mess with the story of the attraction? I believe the story of the Haunted Mansion is that we enter the mansion as mortals while the ghosts are invisible to us and unwilling to reveal themselves, but Madame Leota makes the ghosts "materialize," "come out to socialize," and otherwise make themselves visible to us. There's this gradual transition of the attraction getting more and more in your face, from invisible hands guiding things around the room, to seeing ghosts twirl spin distantly on a dance floor below you, to ghosts popping up from gravestones six feet in front of you, and finally joining you in your own ride vehicle. Doesn't having ghosts visibly interact with you before you even board the ride sort of throw off the supposed chain of events and logic of the attraction?

2. Similarly, the mood will be disrupted. One of the most important functions of the queue is to set the tone for the attraction that follows, and the Haunted Mansion's, although less themed than some others, is very successful at this. When waiting in line for the HM, it looks like you are gradually approaching a typical (albeit older) New England mansion. As you draw closer, you notice more details - the horseless buggy, the creepy iron gates, the distant wolf howling - that set the mood and suggest this is not your average mansion. You find yourself further and further removed from the bustle and civilization of Liberty Square, and deeper and deeper in the clutches of the ever-closer house on the hill. As you move through the line, the mood becomes much calmer and more still - one could say, creepier. The tombstones at the end of the queue set the tone for the attraction perfectly - funny and bringing a smile to your face, but at the same time dark and just a bit morbid. Now how on earth is a guest supposed to be immersed in this atmosphere and pick up on all these carefully designed details if some ghost on a screen is talking their ear off??

3. Guest flow. The Haunted Mansion is an Omnimover ride system with two large elevators constantly swallowing up guests, and never seems to have a line that is holding still for very long. To me, it seems like encouraging guests to stop and play games will only disrupt the flow of an otherwise constantly-moving queue. See Space Mountain.

4. Finally, legacy. The gravestones have been there since the attraction's opening, and are a sort of the dedication/credits to the Imagineers of what is widely considered one of the greatest achievements in the history of theme park design. IMO completely removing those gravestones is disrespectful to the Imagineers that are largely responsible for bringing Disney parks to where they are today - akin to painting over all the windows on Main Street. Not to mention that Master Gracey's tombstone is a great and subtle way of introducing the story of the attraction. The tombstones really need to be kept in place when the interactive queue is added, or at least relocated.

After the successful refurbishment of the Haunted Mansion a few years ago, WDW and the Disney Imagineers can proudly say that the newly-enhanced Mansion is (once again) a treasure to be envied of the theme park industry, and a decades-old masterpiece of attraction design. I really hope the Imagineers know what they are doing when they are modifying it this time around.

I say spend the money where it is needed - turning on some of those fountains in Adventureland, refurbishing the Country Bear Jamboree AAs, or fixing the Enchanted Tiki Room. Or if the Imagineers really want to spend the money on an interactive queue, than using it on a queue that has no theming at all and a much slower-moving line, like Peter Pan's.

NYwdwfan

3. Guest flow. The Haunted Mansion is an Omnimover ride system with two large elevators constantly swallowing up guests, and never seems to have a line that is holding still for very long. To me, it seems like encouraging guests to stop and play games will only disrupt the flow of an otherwise constantly-moving queue. See Space Mountain.

I've been on HM countless times - I thought it was one stretch-room and it didn't actually move - just the ceiling going up. Are there really two stretch-room/elevators? And there is always that waiting time at the front of the queue while waiting for the group inside to go through the stretch room. I guess it would be for people to interact there?

As an aside - my 6 year old insisted she was ready to ride and we walked into the stretch room, the CM said something in a creepy voice, she screamed and we went out the chicken exit. It was hilarious.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I've been on HM countless times - I thought it was one stretch-room and it didn't actually move - just the ceiling going up. Are there really two stretch-room/elevators? And there is always that waiting time at the front of the queue while waiting for the group inside to go through the stretch room. I guess it would be for people to interact there?

As an aside - my 6 year old insisted she was ready to ride and we walked into the stretch room, the CM said something in a creepy voice, she screamed and we went out the chicken exit. It was hilarious.

In WDW, the floor is stationary and the ceiling moves. There are two stretch rooms.

Oddysey

The stretch rooms act as elevators in DL but not at DW. You are correct that it is just a ceiling stretch.

Edit: Steve beat me to it.

NYwdwfan

Ok good. I thought my whole concept of the ride was just turned upside down! I am surprised I never noticed two rooms - I am assuming they are identical but you just walk left or right? I guess I'm not as observant as I thought. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom