News Wakanda joins Coco, Zootopia, and Encanto on Disney Parks' future blue sky expansion list, reveals Josh D'Amaro

aladdin2007

I wonder if there might be some crossed signals here - there was a very large private collection of African artwork that Disney purchased in the 1980s to display in the planned African pavilion at EPCOT. When that never happened, the company ended up donating the collection to the Smithsonian where it is on display.

While there is some African art display at AKL, I don’t think it particularly substantial.
thanks for that info, just purchased one of those books.

Disstevefan1

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
We don’t have the information to know what is stupid. I’d say neither side is stupid. There’s a lot of reasons to give back the rights and put in a property more closely aligned to the rest of Comcast/Universal’s business. They’re not going to build amazing new marvel rides that amp up their competitor.

The time will come and the money will make sense. At least, that’s sensible enough an outcome that entirely discounting it as outright stupid is shortsighted.
Uni building any new rides around the Marvel characters they can use does absolutely nothing to benefit Disney. Uni gets far more revenue from the contract than they pay. As has been said hundreds, if not thousands, of times already - There is no reason for Universal to sell back the rights to the Marvel characters. As long as they are following the stipulations set forth in the contract, they have no incentive to change the situation.

Mike S

Uni building any new rides around the Marvel characters they can use does absolutely nothing to benefit Disney. Uni gets far more revenue from the contract than they pay. As has been said hundreds, if not thousands, of times already - There is no reason for Universal to sell back the rights to the Marvel characters. As long as they are following the stipulations set forth in the contract, they have no incentive to change the situation.
Literally the only thing that would get them to do it is if Disney traded them something equally as crazy.

i.e, not happening

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They made an entire BP movie without him. It’s a very real possibility.
It wasn’t good and it wouldn’t play in a Disney park as well as anyone thinks

Especially in Disney…because they no longer seem to be able to ask the questions/read response in their research and marketing studies properly.

Which is one of the largest, unspoken failures of Bob, Inc.

Marc Davis Fan

they no longer seem to be able to ask the questions/read response in their research and marketing studies properly.

Which is one of the largest, unspoken failures of Bob, Inc.

This is a very interesting/important point. Would you mind expanding upon it, and providing any examples that you think illustrate the issue particularly well?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is a very interesting/important point. Would you mind expanding upon it, and providing any examples that you think illustrate the issue particularly well?
Well that’s an opinion based on “some” experience and along time studying

Disney doesn’t seem to be - currently - able to produce the quality they need to resonate and by default strengthen/sustain the brand.
That’s kinda just the results as they have presented themselves.

Here’s a short list:
1. Park investment, creative direction and policy
2. Products
3. Tv and stream “hedging”
4. Movie studio management, story quality and results

Wall Street don’t like much of that either.

But the “solutions” have to address near every corner of their corporate operation.

Because Bob.
The “storm clouds” have been on the horizon for along time…and the rain has begun to fall.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

So every other nation and ethnicity of note gets its own culturally authentic pavilion, but those of African ancestry get one based on a make-believe country? That would be incredibly tone-deaf, though still probably an upgrade over the janky Refreshment Outpost that’s supposed to stand in for West Africa.
Yeah and how are they going to staff it? Are they really going to have an explicitly race-segregated theme park land? I can't imagine that. I also can't imagine them staffing a Wakanda with white people. There are landmines all over this idea, operationally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom