News Wakanda joins Coco, Zootopia, and Encanto on Disney Parks' future blue sky expansion list, reveals Josh D'Amaro

flyerjab

Just how they tried to tie Peter Quill to Epcot, this story writes itself at this point.

Wakanda was looking for ideal locations for outreach locations. They decided to partner with the Walt Disney Co. as their flagship location. Since Epcot is a vacation location for people all around the world, what a better place than Epcot, a park based off of concepts regarding Walt’s Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow, a center that celebrates forward thinking, as well as a cultural center for all people.

I can see them using the gold-domed WoL pavilion for this. And any use of Shuri could be from before the time she became the Black Panther. Then they have a “nice” Marvel mini-land in that corner of the park.

Tha Realest

Just how they tried to tie Peter Quill to Epcot, this story writes itself at this point.

Wakanda was looking for ideal locations for outreach locations. They decided to partner with the Walt Disney Co. as their flagship location. Since Epcot is a vacation location for people all around the world, what a better place than Epcot, a park based off of concepts regarding Walt’s Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow, a center that celebrates forward thinking, as well as a cultural center for all people.

I can see them using the gold-domed WoL pavilion for this. And any use of Shuri could be from before the time she became the Black Panther. Then they have a “nice” Marvel mini-land in that corner of the park.
I love the idea of an emerging science expo hosted in the old Wonders of Life pavilion will be led by character played by a famously anti-vaxx actor

MarvelCharacterNerd

I mean, yeah... And they would use GotG as justification. We'd have a whole section of the park as "World Showcase" pavilions for imaginary/Marvel locations. "You came to EPCOT to learn all about Xandar, now learn all about Wakanda"
Then I DEMAND equal Asgardian representation! :D

Since they couldn't use Thor & Loki - King Valkyrie could take over the Norway pavilion from the Arendelle sisters!

SpaceMountain77

"The growth trajectory is very compelling if we do nothing beyond what we have already committed. By dramatically increasing our investment - building big, being ambitious, maintaining quality and high standards and using our most popular I.P. - it will be turbocharged." - Bob Iger

For a company that is quick to use anecdotes about Walt Disney to justify or sell a product (e.g., Riviera Resort - Walt went to Europe, Reflections - Walt loved the natural world, Guardians is perfect for EPCOT because Walt said EPCOT will always be in a state of becoming), it is amusing to me that they seem to forget Walt's "quality will out."

So, the current perspective for the theme parks is that quality drives revenue? Groundbreaking.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
Tom Cruise What GIF

Because Comcast is stupid, right?
We don’t have the information to know what is stupid. I’d say neither side is stupid. There’s a lot of reasons to give back the rights and put in a property more closely aligned to the rest of Comcast/Universal’s business. They’re not going to build amazing new marvel rides that amp up their competitor.

The time will come and the money will make sense. At least, that’s sensible enough an outcome that entirely discounting it as outright stupid is shortsighted.

Mike S

Quiet Mario
Disney has yet to do anything with Marvel that comes close to the Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man which turns 25 years old next year. The property has been a complete and total waste under WDI and them not being able to build Wakanda in Florida won’t make me lose any sleep. I’d rather wait for Universal to come up with a MSHI expansion even knowing there’s plenty of other things on their plate first.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
"The growth trajectory is very compelling if we do nothing beyond what we have already committed. By dramatically increasing our investment - building big, being ambitious, maintaining quality and high standards and using our most popular I.P. - it will be turbocharged." - Bob Iger

For a company that is quick to use anecdotes about Walt Disney to justify or sell a product (e.g., Riviera Resort - Walt went to Europe, Reflections - Walt loved the natural world, Guardians is perfect for EPCOT because Walt said EPCOT will always be in a state of becoming), it is amusing to me that they seem to forget Walt's "quality will out."

So, the current perspective for the theme parks is that quality drives revenue? Groundbreaking.

Walt used the restroom, can we has LooLand Waterpark?

Disone

I thought I had heard at one point that AKL has so many authentic African pieces of art/artifacts that it could be considered a museum.
Animal Kingdom Lodge has a collection of authentic African art/artifacts, second only in size to that of the Smithsonian. However the Smithsonian does not display as many pieces at any one time making animal kingdom lodges collection the largest display of African art and artifacts in the nation.

doctornick

With Disney presently negotiating with Comcast over the remainder of Hulu I wouldn’t be surprised if Marvel rights are being discussed as part of the deal. Stranger things have happened. Look at how Oswald came home to Disney.
I actually was thinking about this. While I wouldn’t expect any dramatic changes, it might be possible for Disney to acquire the theme park rights to Black Panther if they are serious about building Wakanda at WDW. A small thing like that is far more plausible that a big buyout of all the rights.

doctornick

Animal Kingdom Lodge has a collection of authentic African art/artifacts, second only in size to that of the Smithsonian. However the Smithsonian does not display as many pieces at any one time making animal kingdom lodges collection the largest display of African art and artifacts in the nation.
I wonder if there might be some crossed signals here - there was a very large private collection of African artwork that Disney purchased in the 1980s to display in the planned African pavilion at EPCOT. When that never happened, the company ended up donating the collection to the Smithsonian where it is on display.

While there is some African art display at AKL, I don’t think it particularly substantial.

Incomudro

Disney has yet to do anything with Marvel that comes close to the Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man which turns 25 years old next year. The property has been a complete and total waste under WDI and them not being able to build Wakanda in Florida won’t make me lose any sleep. I’d rather wait for Universal to come up with a MSHI expansion even knowing there’s plenty of other things on their plate first.
For sure.
I look towards Avengers Campus as to how a present day Disney version of Wakanda would be brought to life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom