News Wakanda joins Coco, Zootopia, and Encanto on Disney Parks' future blue sky expansion list, reveals Josh D'Amaro

celluloid

He just means that every other pavilion is a celebration of art, architecture, culture, and myth (or, simply, the human element of a nation), so the ride should focus on that, not "the jungle".

There are some great jungle myths and beasts. Like Maelstrom it could be all of it. You can't separate the jungle from Africa completely. It does not have to repeat conservation, but like anytime there is something Polynesian or Pacific, you have the ocean and tiki.

Like the lack of Maelstrom not present anymore, we will never get anything without an IP

RSoxNo1

You mean replacement for RnRC and Launch Bay with a modest expansion inbetween? That’s the next major area of development there. But it’s a ways off and the IP could change 8 times.
I can only assume that the reason RNRC hasn't received a retheme is that it's on the table for a retheme as part of whatever this land/expansion may be. A re-theme to the Vibranium train would be kidn of cool.

Magenta Panther

So I'm getting vibes from some Disney vloggers that tentative WDW plans involve replacing Frontierland with, essentially...Mexico and South America? (Coco and Encanto).

I mean, if true, screw that. Who wants that? Coco wasn't a blockbuster, and Encanto was a box-office failure. As I've suggested before, Frontierland should be expanded to include American icons like Daniel Boone, Davey Crockett, Calamity Jane and Annie Oakley. Heck, and folk heroes like Paul Bunyan and John Henry. Not be replaced by new areas based on sub-par IP. I wish I could read or hear about just one thing about future plans for WDW that gets me excited, but so far, nothing has. Meanwhile, I see videos and photos about the Frozen land in Disneyland Paris and wonder why the HECK we're not getting something that cool here? I've about lost hope for WDW, frankly. Thankfully, I've got Universal Epic Universe to cheer me up...

MagicHappens1971

I can only assume that the reason RNRC hasn't received a retheme is that it's on the table for a retheme as part of whatever this land/expansion may be. A re-theme to the Vibranium train would be kidn of cool.
I’m on the same boat with this one. It doesn’t make any sense that they haven’t rethemed RNRC unless it’s part of one of the gazillion blue sky ideas the suits are throwing around

RSoxNo1

So I'm getting vibes from some Disney vloggers that tentative WDW plans involve replacing Frontierland with, essentially...Mexico and South America? (Coco and Encanto).

I mean, if true, screw that. Who wants that? Coco wasn't a blockbuster, and Encanto was a box-office failure. As I've suggested before, Frontierland should be expanded to include American icons like Daniel Boone, Davey Crockett, Calamity Jane and Annie Oakley. Heck, and folk heroes like Paul Bunyan and John Henry. Not be replaced by new areas based on sub-par IP. I wish I could read or hear about just one thing about future plans for WDW that gets me excited, but so far, nothing has. Meanwhile, I see videos and photos about the Frozen land in Disneyland Paris and wonder why the HECK we're not getting something that cool here? I've about lost hope for WDW, frankly. Thankfully, I've got Universal Epic Universe to cheer me up...
This was what was said at D23 Expo last year and then it subsequently changed at the Destination D event last week.

James Alucobond

They were never meant to replace it. When they were being considered, they were an extension behind Big Thunder Mountain. We don't know to what extent those plans have changed given Encanto's move to Animal Kingdom in the latest drafts, but the fact that the Country Bears are staying probably means Frontierland will remain for quite some time.

Also, the vast majority of vloggers don't actually know anything and are just guessing using the same scraps of information we already have.

RSoxNo1

I don’t want to nitpick but *technically* that wasn’t what they “announced”, that was an expansion that would happen “beyond” Big Thunder.
The post I responded to was about how bloggers were talking about Coco and Encanto being added to the Magic Kingdom as if it was a rumor. It was something stated by Disney as something they were considering. That being said, the Tropical Americas plans for Animal Kingdom have clearly shifted that part of the MK expansion.

Mike S

"But by country" is doing a lot of heavy lifting for you here.

You don't see how staffing a France pavilion full of ACTUAL French people is different than staffing a fictional land with Americans based on their skin color?
I’m not advocating for a land at all, but if they did make one and they wanted to immerse you into the story to the point of staffing the place to sell the idea that every cast member there is a citizen of Wakanda, no, I wouldn’t see a problem. Then again they didn’t even go that far for Galaxy’s Edge even though they announced it that way so it’s a moot point anyway.

Also I’m not saying it should be in Epcot either among actual real countries.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
"But by country" is doing a lot of heavy lifting for you here.

You don't see how staffing a France pavilion full of ACTUAL French people is different than staffing a fictional land with Americans based on their skin color?
There would have to be some kind of “Wakanda Exchange Program” storyline put in place. Maybe the “Land” is a Wakanda outreach project in whatever park they out it in.

co10064

Premium Member
Coming from someone who has watched every MCU film... the Universal/Marvel contract has been a blessing in disguise for WDW and its fan base.

One of the (many) reasons I have preferred Disney Parks over Universal is that (by and large) Disney parks have always been organized around THEME. Universal parks have almost always been organized around IP.

Almost everyone can find escapism in the themed areas of "yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy," but if a person doesn't have knowledge of or affinity to, say, Marvel or Harry Potter or ET or Star Wars, then they're not going to get that same escapism experience/emotional bond.

osian

Almost everyone can find escapism in the themed areas of "yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy," but if a person doesn't have knowledge of or affinity to, say, Marvel or Harry Potter or ET or Star Wars, then they're not going to get that same escapism experience/emotional bond.
This! I'm obviously not part of the the currently targetted demographic, but I'm reading the thread and seeing debates on the merits of a Wakanda land or Blank Panther land and which company has the rights...well, I just don't have a clue who or what Black Panther is. I'm not in the least bit interested in IP and movies and I don't have any connection with any attraction based on them. Frozen killed off my interest in the Norway attractions, France has become boring IMO. Galaxy's Edge leaves me indifferent (then again, I think it does that to Star Wars fans too!). It's not the reason I got into the Disney theme parks. At the time, Disney were top of the game with original and compelling attractions, ideas and concepts that really, really hit a spot, but now they're just copying Six Flags and Universal. They are spreading the propaganda that non-IP material is not interesting, doable, popular or profitable.

MrPromey

… They are spreading the propaganda that non-IP material is not interesting, doable, popular or profitable.
Under Iger’s watch, they have (so far) paid what is approaching a hundred billion dollars to become the biggest IP hoarder in the history of the planet.

Of course they are going to push the idea that IP is all that matters. It has become the single focus of the entire business to the point that Disney itself is just one of their brands in what is essentially the Disney holding company.

Log into D+ and take note of how the content is organized. That’s how management sees the company these days.

Last edited:

osian

Log into D+ and take note of how the content is organized. That’s how management sees the company these days.

Indeed, LOL, I only got Disney+ because of the behind-the-scenes parks documentaries! Again, I'm not the target demographic, and it was a surprise to see the Disney section as just another brand category that's listed.

The propaganda works because people say "Hey, wouldn't be great to have xxxx represented in the parks", or "I think yyy would be perfect for an addition to MK/AK/HS/EP", and the most excitement they can muster for Cosmic Rewind is what song they're going to get. I'm more like "Haven't you thought outside the box, outside the world of bought-in franchises and re-telling the same stories over and over again, what possibilities might exist beyond those pre-set boundaries?" That's what Disney used to be able to do. They're not using their imagination.

Incomudro

I’m not advocating for a land at all, but if they did make one and they wanted to immerse you into the story to the point of staffing the place to sell the idea that every cast member there is a citizen of Wakanda, no, I wouldn’t see a problem. Then again they didn’t even go that far for Galaxy’s Edge even though they announced it that way so it’s a moot point anyway.

Also I’m not saying it should be in Epcot either among actual real countries.
I really like it at the Epcot countries.

Marionnette

Question (because I'm unfamiliar with Wakanda and pretty much most of the MARVEL universe): Is there a large enough fan base to merit an entire land based on Wakanda? Or is one really awesome attraction in an existing area a better use of funds?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom