News Wakanda joins Coco, Zootopia, and Encanto on Disney Parks' future blue sky expansion list, reveals Josh D'Amaro

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am not a fan of any of these properties. This does absolutely nothing for me. Give me an original idea and I’ll at least bite every time.

Also if they are actually considering Wakanda without Black Panther then this company is beyond saving in the short run at least. Would be like building a Star Wars land without Darth Vader or Luke, Leia, and Han.

Huh.
Deftly played, Machiavelli 👍🏻

Tha Realest

I am not a fan of any of these properties. This does absolutely nothing for me. Give me an original idea and I’ll at least bite every time.

Also if they are actually considering Wakanda without Black Panther then this company is beyond saving in the short run at least. Would be like building a Star Wars land without Darth Vader or Luke, Leia, and Han.

Huh.
They made an entire BP movie without him. It’s a very real possibility.

999th Happy Haunt

They made an entire BP movie without him. It’s a very real possibility.
I didn’t see it, but I understand someone else in the story took the mantle of Black Panther correct? I’m assuming that would interfere with the Universal contract? Would still be insulting and tone deaf to create Wakanda without even a reference to Chadwick Boseman due to a contractual restriction. Just don’t build it then.

Tha Realest

I didn’t see it, but I understand someone else in the story took the mantle of Black Panther correct? I’m assuming that would interfere with the Universal contract? Would still be insulting and tone deaf to create Wakanda without even a reference to Chadwick Boseman due to a contractual restriction. Just don’t build it then.
Yeah I don’t think they could the character at all?. I am not even sure they could have the mural to him (BP or Boseman).

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Yeah I don’t think they could the character at all?. I am not even sure they could have the mural to him (BP or Boseman).

Black Panther at IOA (see below) means no Black Panther anywhere in WDW. I believe that applies to ALL characters going by the name "Black Panther" (regardless of if that is Shuri in the suit or T'Challa). However, it doesn't rule out Shuri (before she is Black Panther), or Iron Heart, or the Dora Milaje or Wakanda (as a place).
DWlggXUUQAAFnHd.jpg

neo999955

In the Parks
No
Universal is allowed to update (they have) and build new attractions.
Ah, I thought they weren't allowed to build new rides without Marvel (aka Disney's) permission. It seems that is true, but that if they build a new ride built on the comics character it would be tricky for Disney to say no.

I still don't think Universal values keeping Marvel long term, especially after closing Spider-man in Japan. I think by the end of this 60B decade at Disney, Simpsons will be gone from Universal and Marvel will be at least on the way out.

MagicHappens1971

I’m just glad someone from TWDC finally has said IP infusion = better ROI.

People were arguing with myself and many others that this was not the case.

MagicHappens1971

Ah, I thought they weren't allowed to build new rides without Marvel (aka Disney's) permission. It seems that is true, but that if they build a new ride built on the comics character it would be tricky for Disney to say no.
I think they need Marvel (Disney’s) for major changes, I think as long as they maintain they don’t.

I’m not sure how building a new attraction would work. However, logically speaking, I don’t think Disney can outright say no. I think they would need to provide a legitimate reason or it would lead to litigation. Just my opinion

doctornick

Black Panther at IOA (see below) means no Black Panther anywhere in WDW. I believe that applies to ALL characters going by the name "Black Panther" (regardless of if that is Shuri in the suit or T'Challa). However, it doesn't rule out Shuri (before she is Black Panther), or Iron Heart, or the Dora Milaje or Wakanda (as a place).
DWlggXUUQAAFnHd.jpg
No. A mere image of a character is not “substantial use” to prohibit use anyplace else east of the Mississippi.

Black Panther is prohibited because he is a member of the Avengers “family” and Captain America having substantial use at IoA (and arguable Hulk being an Avenger which is not prominent in the comics). Not because he appears in a mural.

Incidentally, has Shuri been an Avenger in the comics?

lazyboy97o

DWlggXUUQAAFnHd.jpg
It’s not certain these count as more than “incidental” and have therefore been secured by Universal.

I still don't think Universal values keeping Marvel long term, especially after closing Spider-man in Japan. I think by the end of this 60B decade at Disney, Simpsons will be gone from Universal and Marvel will be at least on the way out.
Marvel has to provide reasonable approval based on the referenced style guides. Disney can’t just refuse because they no longer like the arrangement. Thats why IMG Worlds of Adventure opened in 2016 with its own Marvel land.

Universal Studios Japan was operating under a different contract. The Universal Orlando Resort contract is perpetual and increases are only tied to inflation. It’s a huge bargain. Universal has no motivation to change that situation.

rd805

So every other nation and ethnicity of note gets its own culturally authentic pavilion, but those of African ancestry get one based on a make-believe country? That would be incredibly tone-deaf, though still probably an upgrade over the janky Refreshment Outpost that’s supposed to stand in for West Africa.

Fair point - but Africa is an entire 'land' at AK so might be very repetitive should it ever go to Epcot.

JD80

Huh.

Encanto isn't an original story?

drnilescrane

I’m just glad someone from TWDC finally has said IP infusion = better ROI.

People were arguing with myself and many others that this was not the case.
I say this staring at my Albert (Mystic Manor) and Chandu (Sinbad) plushes sitting on the shelf but...

...of course it drives better ROI. Purely in ancillary sales. People plan their entire trip around visiting [favorite IP] land.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out in the long term. 10 years in Cars Land is still incredibly popular but I'd call Cars itself a dying franchise - I haven't seen a cozy cone sipper in a very long time walking around DCA.

hopemax

I mean, yeah... And they would use GotG as justification. We'd have a whole section of the park as "World Showcase" pavilions for imaginary/Marvel locations. "You came to EPCOT to learn all about Xandar, now learn all about Wakanda"

Canonically, it makes sense too given how at the end of the first Black Panther movie T'Challa tasks Shuri with starting an outreach program to teach the world about Wakanda and this would be just that. They could have the Dora Milaje as "cultural ambassadors" and if you need a character for a ride tied to the pavilion, I think Iron Heart is available based on the contract. Could even keep Shuri as part of the pavilion if you spin the whole "alternate timeline" where T'Challa is still alive (just not present at the pavilion) and Shuri never became the Black Panther.

I don't like it, but I could see Disney using it as an easy option to fill the empty Life Pavillion...
Yep, The Wakanda Outreach Program is the easy vehicle to explain why there is Wakanda representation in Epcot. Regarding T'Challa and timeline, I think all they would have to say is, "Our King," wherever they would want to use a name.

Tha Realest

Yep, The Wakanda Outreach Program is the easy vehicle to explain why there is Wakanda representation in Epcot. Regarding T'Challa and timeline, I think all they would have to say is, "Our King," wherever they would want to use a name.
Oh, I think a science based pavilion in World Celebration makes a lot more sense than putting it coequal with, say, Italy or France.

TheMaxRebo

I say this staring at my Albert (Mystic Manor) and Chandu (Sinbad) plushes sitting on the shelf but...

...of course it drives better ROI. Purely in ancillary sales. People plan their entire trip around visiting [favorite IP] land.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out in the long term. 10 years in Cars Land is still incredibly popular but I'd call Cars itself a dying franchise - I haven't seen a cozy cone sipper in a very long time walking around DCA.

I do wish they would look at IP both ways - with Albert/Mystic Manor being a great example of that

Craft a world and characters that fit a great ride concept for an area in the parks that make sense ... and then have movies and D+ and toys based on that world

It doesn't have to be movie first then attraction ... I mean, they spend as much on a movie as they do on attractions anyway

No Name

Wakanda has been thrown around for WDW over the past couple of years, but I think this is the first time it has been mentioned by Disney execs. I think it’s relevant, and nowhere in the article did I say it was specifically for WDW.
You’re right that you didn’t say that, but I think you certainly implied it. But it’s not a problem, I understand the need for an interesting headline!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom