Wait times

mlee10

What about bringing fastpass back for on property guests only? I guess it would be interesting to see the percentage of on vs. Off property or just single day tickets.

I don't have answers just posing a question.

all 4 parks were at capacity on Saturday Dec 5th and several rides were 100+ minutes
This is technically true, but very misleading. According to the wait time tracker on touringplans, only four rides ever exceeded a 100 minute posted wait on Saturday.

Frozen Ever After exceeded 100 minutes from 11:00-11:44, 3:21-3:30, 4:13-5:35, and 6:45-6:48.

Slinky Dog Dash exceeded 100 minutes from 1:04-1:42.

Flight of Passage exceeded 100 minutes from 11:36-12:23, and from 5:35-6:43.

Finally, Na’vi River Journey exceeded 100 minutes from 4:39-6:23.

This is with reduced capacity on each ride.

And this is only posted waits, the actual recorded standby wait times often tell a different, more accurate story of wait times.

Without distancing measures in place, these wait times would at least be slashed in half. As for your point on the parks only being at 35% capacity, Disney Parks almost never reach full capacity. 35% capacity at a park like Epcot is pretty much equal to the normal crowd levels that the park receives.

Fastpass+ absolutely increases wait times, these past few months have proven it. Compare Saturday to December 5th last year and I guarantee that you will find more attractions that had 100+ minute waits. Fastpass+ is the last thing that the parks need right now.

TTLUTS

Original Poster
It would be nice to have FP+ back but for it not to be overused. 3 per day so that the FP lines aren't as long as the standby line.

But at this point I wouldn't say that it's worth the additional staff to support it. For now - go if you want but be prepared to wait.
To be fully transparent, my point is 100% self serving.....We have a trip planned in April but wont go if there's no FP+ returned by then (and i think the chances its back are not good)...........We have a shorter trip planned for the same week at Universal if Disney doesn't return EMH, Dining, FP+, fireworks, shows, etc..............Disney needs resorts guest to return (for the benefit of everyone).........I don't think those people are going for a multitude of reasons (COVID and travel restrictions being #1 by a long shot) but they need to return the free perks to resort guests to entice them to return

Last edited:

shipley731

My husband & I were at AK this past Saturday - Dec. 5. Even though it was stated that the park was at capacity, it didn't seem that crowded. We got in line for the Safari which had a posted wait time of 40 minutes. We were stepping onto the ride truck approx. 11 minutes later. The line constantly moved.

UNCgolf

My husband & I were at AK this past Saturday - Dec. 5. Even though it was stated that the park was at capacity, it didn't seem that crowded. We got in line for the Safari which had a posted wait time of 40 minutes. We were stepping onto the ride truck approx. 11 minutes later. The line constantly moved.

That makes sense because Animal Kingdom is gigantic. It's much larger than even ECPOT in total acreage, although I'm not sure how it compares in terms of actual guest space since so much of that is used for the safari and other animal exhibits.

jaklgreen

Yeah. You’re right. I did. But I still think FP should be brought back in some form. I have never waited 2 hours for a ride and never will. And that’s a problem

They will not bring FP back until they can do away with the distancing. Many FP lines run parallel to the regular lines so you are unable to properly distance in them.

jaklgreen

Yes they always seems to be overstated but are still long

Maybe. I went in October and many of the wait times posted where at least 20 minutes but when you walked up to the ride, many were walk on. IDK why they kept posting such high numbers, but I never waited anywhere close to what the posted wait times where.

lentesta

Premium Member
The wait times have been completely overstated during this process. I’ve been 4 times since July and have routinely been in lines half the posted time.

Many rides, such as Toy Story Mania!, regularly have actual wait times that are roughly 1/3rd of the posted.

A few rides, such as 7DMT, have actuals that are pretty close to the posted.

UNCgolf

Many rides, such as Toy Story Mania!, regularly have actual wait times that are roughly 1/3rd of the posted.

A few rides, such as 7DMT, have actuals that are pretty close to the posted.

I've always assumed that Disney inflates wait times for guest satisfaction reasons. I've personally experienced numerous attractions that have a 20 minute posted wait but are actually walk-ons, but it also just makes business sense. Airlines do something similar, although theirs are partially operational as well (cuts down on missed connections). I suppose Disney's are partially operational as well, in that they can help spread people throughout the park.

With a ride like 7DMT, when you say it's pretty close to the posted, is it still generally 10-15 minutes off? I would think they'd always want it to be a bit higher than actual to avoid guests complaining that the posted time was 75 minutes but they actually waited 85-90 minutes.

Last edited:

JohnD

I'd be for bringing back the original FastPass in digital form. Instead of going up to the attraction and receiving a paper ticket, you scan your phone against a QR reader to get your return time. Now, if that's a "virtual queue", so was the original FastPass.

JohnD

I've always assumed that Disney inflates wait times for guest satisfaction reasons. I've personally experienced numerous attractions that have a 20 minute posted wait but are actually walk-ons,
Interesting that you say that because my personal experience in October was the posted wait times were on average 20 minutes longer than actual wait times. So, yeah. A 20 minute posted wait time would be a walk on. A 35 minute wait time would actually be 15 minutes and so on.

TTLUTS

Original Poster
I'd be for bringing back the original FastPass in digital form. Instead of going up to the attraction and receiving a paper ticket, you scan your phone against a QR reader to get your return time. Now, if that's a "virtual queue", so was the original FastPass.
That's called MaxPass and has been proven to be very popular with guests in DL. problem at WDW vs DL, WDW has a lot more hotel rooms and people that are booking them want to know they can guarantee they get on a ride if they are booking for a week and paying that much money for a room................MaxPass doesn't involve advanced reservations and I think Disney needs to offer some version of advanced reservatiosn to its hotel guests at a minimum

JohnD

That's called MaxPass and has been proven to be very popular with guests in DL. problem at WDW vs DL, WDW has a lot more hotel rooms and people that are booking them want to know they can guarantee they get on a ride if they are booking for a week and paying that much money for a room................MaxPass doesn't involve advanced reservations and I think Disney needs to offer some version of advanced reservatiosn to its hotel guests at a minimum

Well, the original FastPass was popular before FP+ was introduced in 2013. Why the change? Is it because Disney has "let Aladdin's genie out of the bottle" with FP+ for advance attraction reservations and there is no going back?

TTLUTS

Original Poster
Well, the original FastPass was popular before FP+ was introduced in 2013. Why the change? Is it because Disney has "let Aladdin's genie out of the bottle" with FP+ for advance attraction reservations and there is no going back?
It's because you have to get to the park at rope drop or you miss out on a pass for the popular rides b they would "sell out" within minutes and people would be running to get them...Also, if you wanted a FP for MMRR and didnt get a return time until 5pm and the park closes at 6pm, you wouldnt be able to get more than 1 FP because you can only have 1 at a time and cant get another until the previous one was used..........It was very inefficient

It's because you have to get to the park at rope drop or you miss out on a pass for the popular rides b they would "sell out" within minutes and people would be running to get them...Also, if you wanted a FP for MMRR and didnt get a return time until 5pm and the park closes at 6pm, you wouldnt be able to get more than 1 FP because you can only have 1 at a time and cant get another until the previous one was used..........It was very inefficient
So there are no fast passes now, right?

Giss Neric

I think people are being discouraged seeing the huge long line that stretches so far. They are socially distancing guests and avoids queuing indoors. The wait times are estimates but 90% of the time are not accurate. It is mostly lesser than what was posted. Due to no Fastpass, the lines are constantly moving, except when they are cleaning the rides and let it cycle to air it out, or a breakdown.

TTLUTS

Original Poster
I think people are being discouraged seeing the huge long line that stretches so far. They are socially distancing guests and avoids queuing indoors. The wait times are estimates but 90% of the time are not accurate. It is mostly lesser than what was posted. Due to no Fastpass, the lines are constantly moving, except when they are cleaning the rides and let it cycle to air it out, or a breakdown.
I have heard people mention this several times about the lines are constantly moving and that’s what makes it better not having FP+. If a line is 60 minutes and moving vs 60 minutes not moving it’s still 60 minutes. Maybe they should keep FP+ and just extend the lines for standby so they keep moving and everyone will be happy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
With all 4 parks at capacity yesterday and wait times in the triple digits for the popular rides, is it time Disney does something to help alleviate the problem? I think they should bring back FP+ ASAP. Is the guest experience being affected? 80-120 min waits in HS yesterday seem insane.

Nope. They’re open. That’s as good as it’s gonna get for now. It’s not a great idea in the first place...but it’s there if people want it.

And where will all those people be when they aren't waiting in line any more?

Crowded in understaffed places contrary to health rules.

Yeah. You’re right. I did. But I still think FP should be brought back in some form. I have never waited 2 hours for a ride and never will. And that’s a problem

Nope...it’s an awful system. Even legacy - which is a good system - would create another problem (beyond the equipment is gone of probably doesn’t work if there anymore)

Oh!!! The humanity!!!!😱

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have heard people mention this several times about the lines are constantly moving and that’s what makes it better not having FP+. If a line is 60 minutes and moving vs 60 minutes not moving it’s still 60 minutes. Maybe they should keep FP+ and just extend the lines for standby so they keep moving and everyone will be happy.

Moving lines are far more tolerable than the logjammed fast pass+ Years. One of the reasons I’m sure they were happy to dump it was that.

I can remember being in 90 minute pirates lines and 2 hour splash mountain lines that didn’t seem that offensive because you moved. And they often were dependent on the people making their way through the lines...so you’d often save on the posted waits.

They’ve had 45 minute fastpass lines in recent years combined with stationary standbys...what the hell is the point of that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom