Wait times

TTLUTS

Original Poster
With all 4 parks at capacity yesterday and wait times in the triple digits for the popular rides, is it time Disney does something to help alleviate the problem? I think they should bring back FP+ ASAP. Is the guest experience being affected? 80-120 min waits in HS yesterday seem insane.

drizgirl

With all 4 parks at capacity yesterday and wait times in the triple digits for the popular rides, is it time Disney does something to help alleviate the problem? I think they should bring back FP+ ASAP. Is the guest experience being affected? 80-120 min waits in HS yesterday seem insane.
And where will all those people be when they aren't waiting in line any more?

UNCgolf

And where will all those people be when they aren't waiting in line any more?

Which is the whole reason rolling out fulltime virtual queues all over the parks would never ever work. It sounds like a good idea in theory, but in practice it would be an operational nightmare and likely create a terrible guest experience.

It seems like now would be the one time it could work because of reduced capacity, but because so much of the entertainment is gone and other things are closed or understaffed, I don't think it would even work right now.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Um the wait times you mentioned seem normal in pre covid days....
Parks being at capacity is because its a smaller capacity than what they actually can hold.
Seems like you just got tired of posting in the Maxpass thread...

Last edited:

TTLUTS

Original Poster
Um the wait times you mentioned seem normal in pre covid days....
Parks being at capacity is because its a smaller capacity than what they actually can hold.
Seems like you just got tired of posting in the Maxpass thread...
Yeah. You’re right. I did. But I still think FP should be brought back in some form. I have never waited 2 hours for a ride and never will. And that’s a problem

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
2 hour waits for a ride are unreasonable and makes for a terrible experience. Is there anything they can do
I’m not seeing anything unexpected? (Apart from the line for Imagination)

37DF4067-D4A2-450B-989E-306DCD6C0352.jpeg

E6A3D448-C173-4A2D-9D3C-471DFD16808C.jpeg
C323618D-168D-446F-AE0A-DC5FF4CF050B.jpeg

19671D90-A6DA-4B29-886B-3FD513258650.jpeg

12ED839F-68CD-4808-A63F-6820B3B85465.jpeg

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Yeah. You’re right. I did. But I still think FP should be brought back in some form. I have never waited 2 hours for a ride and never will. And that’s a problem
While its rare for me to wait longer than 30 minutes for something and I utilize FP+ to its fullest potential there are always exceptions and I'd say you or I are in the minority for wait times.
Many guests are one and done or once every few years types and they are going to wait however long it takes to ride something vs someone like me who goes yearly/twice a year.... I've crafted my list of must do's vs skippable vs don't care for over the years. Then I base my FP+ choices and where in the parks when on that list.
And it seems like you may not have been going back in the day prior to Fastpass or maybe were just very picky about the time of year you went or the attractions you went on but I can recall long waits for attractions while my mom watched a parade. We won the scavenger hunt in Adventureland a few years in a row (no they didn't hide it in the same place all the time) and we won a front of the line pass. That was great for Space and Splash since my mom didn't ride them so it meant she didn't have to wait very long for us.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Do these wait times undermine the theory (often repeated here before COVID) that wait times would go down in general in the absence of FP+, or are there other factors at play?

(Full disclosure: I am a fan of FP+ and have never understood the hate it gets.)

Last edited:

TTLUTS

Original Poster
Do these wait times undermine the theory (often repeated here before COVID) that wait times would go down in general in the absence of FP+?
I 100% think they do undermine that theory ...............People always refer to the standby lines "moving" but whether they are moving or not moving, 90 minute waits are still 90 minute waits..............Rides are probably running at 50%+ capacity while parks are at 35% capacity.......You do have to account for less shows/entertainment but I think the offset in ride capacity vs. guest capacity more than offsets that

UNCgolf

Do these wait times undermine the theory (often repeated here before COVID) that wait times would go down in general in the absence of FP+, or are there other factors at play?

(Full disclosure: I am a fan of FP+ and have never understood the hate it gets.)

I don't think so, because the rides are operating at reduced capacity and so many other things in the parks (shows, street entertainment, etc.) that would draw some people away from the rides are not currently operating.

Last edited:

TTLUTS

Original Poster
I don't think so, because the rides are operating at reduced capacity and so many other things in the parks (shows, street entertainment, etc.) are not operating that would draw some people away from the rides.
But parks are only at 35% capacity (and dont hit that every day) and lines are still long.....What capacity do you think rides are running at? I would say at least 50%.....

LittleBuford

I don't think so, because the rides are operating at reduced capacity and so many other things in the parks (shows, street entertainment, etc.) are not operating that would draw some people away from the rides.
On the other hand, and to paraphrase @TTLUTS, these factors may be offset by the reduced capacity. Still, I take your point: under such altered conditions, it’s really difficult to make meaningful comparisons to “normal” times.

I do wonder why anyone would want to visit the parks now that the nonexistent (or very low) waits of the early reopening are no more.

TTLUTS

Original Poster
On the other hand, and to paraphrase @TTLUTS, these factors may be offset by the reduced capacity. Still, I take your point: under such altered conditions, it’s really difficult to make meaningful comparisons to “normal” times.

I do wonder why anyone would want to visit the parks now that the nonexistent (or very low) waits of the early reopening are no more.
all 4 parks were at capacity on Saturday Dec 5th and several rides were 100+ minutes

Club Cooloholic

Yes they always seems to be overstated but are still long
Having experienced it during Thanksgiving week. I found the wait times to be anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes off, and sometimes spot on. If a ride is popular you wait. Honestly with the COVID measure in place, it made the lines actually more bearable in some ways because you didn't have someone on top of you the whole time. It wasn't really awful and we did it with two grade school kids. Did we hit every ride, nope but we also never made it at rope drop, and always left before closing. If we stayed a whole day there is little reason would could not ride most everything. Fast pass is for sure nice so that you can plan your day out more, but I also enjoyed the more spontaneous way to do the park and just see what happens. We happened to wander into Galaxies Edge about an hour or so after the park opened and for whatever reason(I think everyone went straight for the Runaway Mickey) we pretty much walked right onto Smugglers.

UNCgolf

But parks are only at 35% capacity (and dont hit that every day) and lines are still long.....What capacity do you think rides are running at? I would say at least 50%.....

I think it depends on the ride. Some are probably running below 50% capacity (or at least were recently; I think they've made some changes) depending on how they are dealing with larger vehicles and multiple parties.

But again, even that doesn't tell the whole picture, because so many shows and things are shut down. People that may have been waiting for/watching Festival of the Lion King are now likely waiting in line for rides instead, just as one example. Even small things like street entertainment that might attract a couple dozen people for 10 minutes now means those people are probably all in a line somewhere instead. Those things add up.

Last edited:

rreading

It would be nice to have FP+ back but for it not to be overused. 3 per day so that the FP lines aren't as long as the standby line.

But at this point I wouldn't say that it's worth the additional staff to support it. For now - go if you want but be prepared to wait.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom