Voyage of the Little Mermaid is done, won't reopen with the parks.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Aladdin?
Lion King?
The various Toy Story films?
Finding Nemo?

Do you mean 1994? That's when Lion King was released, which I think may be the highest grossing animated film of all time when factoring in inflation. It brought in over $850 million during it's original theatrical release window, which is insane for 1994. It was the highest grossing movie of the year.
I almost picked 1994. Thought about it. Considered it. But no, I think 1991. It’s debatable. Including Encanto in that set of movies is not.

RSoxNo1

Why not make the Frozen sing-along an Encanto one?

Does every DHS show now have to go on for 10+ years? They used to change them and parades more often (back when it had parades).
I'd rather they eliminate Beauty and the Beast which has been there longer, but your overall point is valid. They have multiple theaters and should be cycling shows far more frequently than they are.

UNCgolf

I almost picked 1994. Thought about it. Considered it. But no, I think 1991. It’s debatable. Including Encanto in that set of movies is not.

I'm assuming you went 91 because it was nominated for Best Picture? If that's the criteria, though, it's really in a class of its own and Frozen isn't comparable to BatB either.

Lion King made a lot more money -- I think it probably made more than Frozen when considering the 20 year difference -- and it was definitely bigger culturally at the time than BatB.

It's all subjective, of course, and I agree that Encanto doesn't appear to be in that class yet.

Fox&Hound

They literally designed the Disney Junior Dance Party show so there isn’t a single physical object that needs to be updated to update the show to new Disney Junior IP but instead they are full steam ahead with 3 Disney Junior shows that have finished their production runs.

So I’m not holding my breath to updates to anything else.
Yes when we went in Dec I was surprised to see Timon from the Lion Guard when I felt like his popularity had waned. Sad they can't capitalize on some of their more recent hits that they own i.e. Bluey. Maybe Puppy Dog Pals? Either way it adds to the stale show offerings at DHS. I have said many times that updating Indy, B&tB, and VOLTM would go such a long way to revitalize that park.

celluloid

Aladdin?
Lion King?
The various Toy Story films?
Finding Nemo?

Heck, even Lilo and Stitch grossed a lot more, was attended by more and culturally effected the company to the point of the character being everywhere.

Encanto I don't even think matches Tangled. People just want it to because of TikTok culture and supporting the love they have for Lin's music.

PiratesMansion

Heck, even Lilo and Stitch grossed a lot more, was attended by more and culturally effected the company to the point of the character being everywhere.

Encanto I don't even think matches Tangled. People just want it to because of TikTok culture and supporting the love they have for Lin's music.
I don't think it's entirely TikTok. In my view it's the best Disney film since, at the very least, Moana. The fact that so much of the film deals with relatable family dynamics that a lot of people can connect to doesn't hurt. While I don't think it's Lin's best-ever score, I don't think it's a poor one by any stretch.

It's too early to tell how much staying power the film will have in the long run, but in my circles the film is still readily being talked about more than a month after it was put on Disney+ and more than two months after it was released theatrically. I'm seeing far more chatter about the film from people who don't usually go to animated films than I have with any film since Frozen. People have been pointing (and will continue to point) at box office numbers to slight the film or fit a narrative they want to push, but that ignores the fact that no matter how much people wish it to be so, the movie theater industry has yet to demonstrate full recovery outside of a handful of movies featuring mega-popular IP. It's not an apples to apples comparison the situation facing a film like Tangled.

I do think it's weird that Disney doesn't, at the very least, put the characters in the parks to promote the films anymore or seemingly prep more than the bare minimum of merchandise for their new film. They were still doing that as recently as (at least) Big Hero 6. But ultimately there are signs, in my view anyway, that the film will have legs and staying power. The real question for me is not whether there is staying power with the film but how long and how intense the staying power will turn out to be.

Animaniac93-98

I do think it's weird that Disney doesn't, at the very least, put the characters in the parks to promote the films anymore or seemingly prep more than the bare minimum of merchandise for their new film. They were still doing that as recently as (at least) Big Hero 6.

For those of us who can remember the hype trains built for Pocahontas, Hunchback, Hercules etc, it's odd to see the comparative lack of promotion these new releases get, even within the Disney theme parks or other Disney owned/centric venues. Of course, back then there was only one big animated release a year to focus their attention on.

It's even more puzzling when you know these movies still have marketing budgets in the $100-$200 million range and all you generally see are trailers posted to YouTube. Where the heck is all that money going?

brb1006

Heck, I remember Lilo & Stitch gained two direct-to-video movies (the first being a pilot movie for the TV series), an TV series, and a sequel which was a midquel between the original movie and the animated series. Heck, Angel alongside The Other Experiments actually became walkaround characters. That's how popular Lilo and Stitch was during the 2000s period (that's not even getting into the Japanese anime "Stitch" and the Chinese series "Stitch & AI" both aimed at the Japanese and Chinese markets).

brb1006

I do think it's weird that Disney doesn't, at the very least, put the characters in the parks to promote the films anymore or seemingly prep more than the bare minimum of merchandise for their new film. They were still doing that as recently as (at least) Big Hero 6. But ultimately there are signs, in my view anyway, that the film will have legs and staying power. The real question for me is not whether there is staying power with the film but how long and how intense the staying power will turn out to be.
Heck, there was a period in the 1990s when DHS used to create newer parades dedicated to an upcoming Disney Animated Film (notably Hercules, Aladdin, and Mulan) and the first Toy Story Movie. While Disneyland gained an entire Lion King Parade.

CaptainAmerica

I don't think it's entirely TikTok. In my view it's the best Disney film since, at the very least, Moana. The fact that so much of the film deals with relatable family dynamics that a lot of people can connect to doesn't hurt. While I don't think it's Lin's best-ever score, I don't think it's a poor one by any stretch.

It's too early to tell how much staying power the film will have in the long run, but in my circles the film is still readily being talked about more than a month after it was put on Disney+ and more than two months after it was released theatrically. I'm seeing far more chatter about the film from people who don't usually go to animated films than I have with any film since Frozen. People have been pointing (and will continue to point) at box office numbers to slight the film or fit a narrative they want to push, but that ignores the fact that no matter how much people wish it to be so, the movie theater industry has yet to demonstrate full recovery outside of a handful of movies featuring mega-popular IP. It's not an apples to apples comparison the situation facing a film like Tangled.

Encanto and Moana are orders of magnitude better than either Frozen movie, and I prefer them to Big Hero, either Ralph, or any or the other recent generation.

brb1006

For those of us who can remember the hype trains built for Pocahontas, Hunchback, Hercules etc, it's odd to see the comparative lack of promotion these new releases get, even within the Disney theme parks or other Disney owned/centric venues. Of course, back then there was only one big animated release a year to focus their attention on.

It's even more puzzling when you know these movies still have marketing budgets in the $100-$200 million range and all you generally see are trailers posted to YouTube. Where the heck is all that money going?
I've really started to notice that Disney has taking a slow amount of time bringing some of Disney's newest characters from recent films into the parks. Compared to the 1980s, 1990s, and early to late 2000s.

For example, I remember Nick and Judy Hopps from Zootopia took a while to become meetable at some of the Disney Parks. Both characters debuted at the El Capitan Theater before first appearing at Disneyland in DCA a few months later (I think it was late 2016 or early 2017). Meanwhile, Walt Disney World and the rest of the parks had to wait a bit longer to meet them publicly (outside of a private event held at AK to promote the film). As for the International Parks, Judy and Nick wouldn't appear until Tokyo Disneyland's Easter Parade in 2017.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I've really started to notice that Disney has taking a slow amount of time bringing some of Disney's newest characters from recent films into the parks. Compared to the 1980s, 1990s, and early to late 2000s.

For example, I remember Nick and Judy Hopps from Zootopia took a while to become meetable at some of the Disney Parks. Both characters debuted at the El Capitan Theater before first appearing at Disneyland in DCA a few months later (I think it was late 2016 or early 2017). Meanwhile, Walt Disney World and the rest of the parks had to wait a bit longer to meet them publicly (outside of a private event held at AK to promote the film). As for the International Parks, Judy and Nick wouldn't appear until Tokyo Disneyland's Easter Parade in 2017.
I think after Mars Needs Moms and The Lone Ranger got pricey park pushes and bombed spectacularly, they got gun shy. We were in the parks around when Frozen 1 opened, which was a few months after the Lone Ranger fiasco, and there was basically a billboard up at what was then Downtown Disney and other than that, you’d never have known.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney is starting to ""suffer"" from a wealth of riches.

Back when they had slim pickings for really good IP, then any IP would do.

Now that they have so many good IPs to chose from, the new ones don't need to be rushed into the parks. Disney can take its time to gauge whether the new IP has legs, or whether to promote it right away simply because it fills a niche.

brb1006

I think after Mars Needs Moms and The Lone Ranger got pricey park pushes and bombed spectacularly, they got gun shy. We were in the parks around when Frozen 1 opened, which was a few months after the Lone Ranger fiasco, and there was basically a billboard up at what was then Downtown Disney and other than that, you’d never have known.
Wait Mars Needs Moms and The Longe Ranger gained pushes at the parks?

DoleWhipDrea

Wait Mars Needs Moms and The Longe Ranger gained pushes at the parks?

Don't know about MNM but The Lone Ranger was a big deal at California Adventure, which was used for the premiere (echoing when Disney used Disneyland for Pirates of the Caribbean sequels for their premieres, and giving another Jerry Bruckheimer blockbuster the star treatment once again.) They even had a train photo-op that was really impressive.

1644129051354.png

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...isneyjerry-bruckheimer-films-the-lone-ranger/

Unfortunately Disney spent a lot of money on the film and the industry trash-talked the film for months before the premiere, and it just didn't do as well as would be hoped. But it had some of the best cinematography that I've ever seen.

aladdin2007

Don't know about MNM but The Lone Ranger was a big deal at California Adventure, which was used for the premiere (echoing when Disney used Disneyland for Pirates of the Caribbean sequels for their premieres, and giving another Jerry Bruckheimer blockbuster the star treatment once again.) They even had a train photo-op that was really impressive.

View attachment 619373
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...isneyjerry-bruckheimer-films-the-lone-ranger/

Unfortunately Disney spent a lot of money on the film and the industry trash-talked the film for months before the premiere, and it just didn't do as well as would be hoped. But it had some of the best cinematography that I've ever seen.
Agree. and I loved the movie, yes it was too long and couple other things could have been cut, but in general the industry/media decided to make sure that film flopped when it just wasnt necessary. For some reason they were really out to kill it which was unfortunate. It was fun and well done for what it was.

ImperfectPixie

Agree. and I loved the movie, yes it was too long and couple other things could have been cut, but in general the industry/media decided to make sure that film flopped when it just wasnt necessary. For some reason they were really out to kill it which was unfortunate. It was fun and well done for what it was.
I really enjoyed it, too...never understood why it didn't do better. Hubby loves it, too.

UNCgolf

Even if it had been a success it would almost certainly be swept under the rug by Disney now. Ignoring the whole Johnny Depp/Tonto issue, Armie Hammer's presence as the Lone Ranger would be untenable.

Last edited:

TikibirdLand

Even if it had been a success it would almost certainly be swept under the rug by Disney now. Even if you ignored the Johnny Depp/Tonto issue, Armie Hammer's presence as the Lone Ranger would be untenable.
Thanks for the tip, y'all. LR is on my Netflix queue along with MNM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom