Vote for Walt Disney!

Woody13

SpectroMan said:
I believe I have a decent education, and I think Bob Hope and Walt Disney are Great Americans. They are the two greatest entertainers who did the most for America. But, presidents, and authors, and generals made Walt Disney and Bob Hope the Great Americans they were. And we must not forget that the great nation of the United States would be no where if it were not for the American soldier.
Walt Disney and Bob Hope were not by any stretch, "...the two greatest entertainers who did the most for America." They don't even come close. The U.S. has has some really great entertainers over the years some of which were far better than either Disney or Hope!

Halfling418

Walt Disney was the leader in the animation industry. Not only did he revolutionize things technologically, but for the first time cartoon characters had personality. Every competing studio was always scheming how to top him. I'd say that makes him pretty far up there.

That's of course besides the fact that he developed a kind of theme park that would entertain the whole family, not just the kiddies or the thrill-seekers--a multi-sensory experience that takes visitors to another place entirely.

Pongo

Woody13 said:
What a shame that Walt Disney, Oprah, Elvis and Bob Hope made the top 25. I suppose it's just a reflection of how shallow popularity truly is and poor education.

Arguments have already been proposed for Disney and Hope, I'm not really much of an Elvis fan, but I will give my input on Oprah.

I think Oprah deserves to be there. I was actually one that nominated her (I also nominated Disney and Dr. Seuss, among others that I can't remember :hammer: ) and Oprah really has shown the "American Dream," the classic "rags to riches" story and using her riches to help others. She really is doing a lot to help orphans and AIDS victims in Africa.

If I were a an AIDS inflicted six year old living in some of the worst poverty in Africa, I know that shoes and a toy from Oprah would not only make my day, but my entire life.

Oprah DOES deserve to be there. She's not just there because of popularity.

It's Madonna, John Edwards, Tom Cruise, and every Bush that was ever born that you want to worry about on the popularity front.

S_Grise

Pongo said:
Arguments have already been proposed for Disney and Hope, I'm not really much of an Elvis fan, but I will give my input on Oprah.

I think Oprah deserves to be there. I was actually one that nominated her (I also nominated Disney and Dr. Seuss, among others that I can't remember :hammer: ) and Oprah really has shown the "American Dream," the classic "rags to riches" story and using her riches to help others. She really is doing a lot to help orphans and AIDS victims in Africa.

Oprah DOES deserve to be there. She's not just there because of popularity.

It's Madonna, John Edwards, Tom Cruise, and every Bush that was ever born that you want to worry about on the popularity front.
Thank you for saving me the trouble of making exactly these points. (However, I did still vote for Disney. I am loyal.)

Erik

You think JC Chasez was bad commenting on Walt? They actually had him early in the show talking about Frederick Douglas! Yikes! Bret Farve and Tom Cruise in the top 100? - what a joke.

Ronald Reagan, Walt Disney, and Jackie Robinson are the 3 greatest Americans.

Pongo

Wilt Dasney said:
Lance Armstrong in the Top 25 is a little odd to me.

Lance is VERY inspirational. What a story. I didn't vote for him, but his life is pretty amazing.

I've had two LiveStrong bracelets. Oddly enough, my first disappeared right off my wrist in the Wilderness Lodge last December...

prberk

SpectroMan said:
Was I the only one who was disappointed in how the showed Walt Disney.

They did not talk about how he was the AMERICAN DREAM. Starting from his poor early life, to serving his country in World War I, to creating great cartoons and movies, to his hope in the future. Walt Disney was not just a man who created happiness in his movies and theme parks.

He was a true American: making cartoons for the government and allowing the army to move into his studio in World War II. Mainstreet USA also shows his American patriotism. Another is his great view of the future. All great Americans want the future to be better, and his belief in technology shows this. EPCOT was what he thought would be the next step in the American community, and look at how downsized EPCOTs are popping up all over the United States.

I cannot agree more:

As I said in a similar thread over at Chit-Chat, I was also disappointed in the meaning that they ascribed to Walt Disney's presence on this list. They really only mentioned the development of the characters and the theme parks. But Walt also was a great patriot who used his entertainment medium and personal influence for patriotic influence in his lifetime and afterward. He contributed directly to World War II, with his feature film, Victory Through Air Power, which was shown to the president and considered by many to have had a big part in making him decide to follow the strategy of developing the air force.

Of course his parks were imbued with a sense of patriotic pride (Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln and later the Hall of Presidents, and even later Epcot's America), and his stature was so strong in the sixties that many companies looked to him for their showcase presentations in the 1964 New York World's Fair (from which "It's a Small World" comes and still influences people today). Many urban design people still look to Walt Disney World and even some derivatives of the old EPCOT ideal for examples of good urban planning.

So, while I do not think that Walt should overshadow Lincoln or Washington, I do think that there are better reasons to call him a "great American" than just for his characters.

Paul

mickey04

I don't think George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, or even Ronald Reagan should be on the list. Their "greatness" is based substantially on partisan opinions. Democrats love Clinton, Republican love Bush, and their legacy has yet to be decided upon- especially Bush who has 3 and a half more years ahead of him. Whereas Lincoln is thought of by all to be a "great American," history has shown this.

Now should Walt be on there? Well, he did a lot of good for the world, not just as an entertainer, but as a humanitarian as well. His legacy and his vision continue to make the world just a little bit better, and that seems to be a pretty rare thing. Is he the greatest? I have no idea. But he's had a remarkable and positive influence nonetheless.

MickMan

Original Poster
Don't forget to vote.

You can call from cell phones as well. Each phone number is given 3 votes, as well as each computer gets 3 votes.

Bravesfn1

MagicalMonorail said:
Barrack Obama. I'm sure he's a great guy, and I know he has an awesome story, but what has he really done for America? If he has done something, I apologize, but I don't know how he is one of the greatest Americans.

Even though George Lucas is just an entertainer, I think he should be higher on the list.

But anyway, GO WALT!

I'll tell you what Barack Obama has done for America. He gave Allen Keyes a major beat down in the Illinois Senate Race. Sparing us from hearing any more of Keyes' hateful and idiotic rants. That is more than enough in my opinion! A vote for O-BA-MA!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom