Trip Report VISIONS OF STEEL & WOOD - Roller Coaster Road Trip 2018

enhance

VISIONS OF STEEL & WOOD: ROLLER COASTER ROAD TRIP 2018

Two whole weeks of nothing but roller coasters! A dozen amusement parks! Countless multiple dozen thrills! Hundreds of miles! Eight dark rides!

Come join me, - and assorted roller coaster fanatics – on an epic journey from Michigan through Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. On this ridiculous roadtrip, there won’t be a single Disney or Universal theme park in view. Instead our sights are set on the opposite side of the amusement park coin, on the wondrous world of coaster parks!

Yes, it’s thrills over theming! And I couldn’t be happier! Now don’t get me wrong, I love Disney parks (I mean, obviously…I’m active on WDWMagic). But to fully appreciate Disney, I love to explore everything else available too. To see alternate evolutions on ride concepts. Historical parks which preserve what the amusement industry was like well before Walt’s revolution. Pier parks. Trolley parks. Iron parks with steel monstrosities towering hundreds of feet overhead. In this world, Cedar Fair and Six Flags are the top dogs. Parks aren’t resorts, they’re adventures. It’s tiring, it’s extreme, it’s a wholly different sort of vacation from Disney! (For that, see my Hong Kong/Tokyo TR from last year, or await my return from Shanghai in late September).

And what all destinations could we cover in a hectic two weeks?
enhance

Greenfield Village – A “living history” park created by Henry Ford to celebrate 19th century Americana, and an indisputable influence on Walt’s Disneyland.

Henry Ford Museum – The world class museum next door with its exceptional collection of American vehicles, inventions and more.

Cedar Point – Arguably the destination for roller coasters, and one of my three favorite parks in the world alongside Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea. Home to the brand-new Steel Vengeance, already perhaps the world’s best roller coaster!

Kings Island – Cedar Point’s Cincinnati adjunct, a home for many exceptional coasters in a park whose theming and organization recall Disney.

Kentucky Kingdom – A small state fair wedged in between a mall and an airport, one which has become permanent.

Holiday World – A wonderful family-run park in Indiana’s most remote corner, noteworthy for its tremendous hospitality, water park and wooden coasters.

Kennywood – A Pittsburgh trolley park which opened in 1898, and to this day retains its vintage Luna Park style charm with some modern niceties.

Del Grosso’s Amusement Park – Basically a permanent carnival which emerged alongside a pasta sauce factory.

Knoebels – Wedged in the Pennsylvania wilderness is a timewarp where the 1920s never died, lawsuits never occur, and this incredible carnie-run park rejects every lesson ever learned by Disney.

Hershey Park – For some reason the Hershey Company decided to extend their brand with a park on par with Cedar Fair or Six Flags, full of professionalism, cleanliness, and no personality.

Dorney Park – One of Cedar Fair’s neglected regional parks. It has some rides.

Morey’s Piers – A wondrously fun pier park right along the Jersey Shore, like something straight out of Bob’s Burgers!

Philly on the 4th – Celebrating our nation’s birth on its birthday in its birthplace, in a town where the locals are more concerned with Rocky.

Six Flags Great Adventure – The grand finale occurs at the best Six Flags park, the world’s largest amusement park, home to the world’s tallest roller coaster.
enhance

Joining me on this quixotic quest would be a core group of four thrill-seekers, plus other assorted buddies here and there. Among this group, I was undoubtedly the Disney Dork™, the relative coaster novice with only around 100 previously under my belt compared to the 400+ these guys could boast.

Their perspective and insight is something else, and we’ll be meeting them all as my stream-of-consciousness report continues. (To start here’s the beginning of AJ’s very own trip report found elseweb.) For now, let’s simply dive into the thick of things and get this report rolling!

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

DAY 5 – Cleaning Up at Cedar Point
Cedar Point is a two-day park. We’ve done 1.5 days, so this morning we begin our final half day. Following another depressing complimentary hotel breakfast, all five of us pack back into Josh’s cozy (read: cramped) sedan and drive back up to Lake Erie.

Again it’s Extra Ride Time. However, no more rope-dropping Steel Vengeance! The RMC manufacturers are here now, using what little time they can to get it up to 3-train operations before Independence Day. So the big draw of ERT today is Millennium Force. Entering at the main Gatekeeper gate, that’s our destination.

I realize while on Millennium Force’s, like, third airtime hill that drinking coffee this morning was unnecessary.
enhance

Following that, everybody in Cedar Point heads to Steel Vengeance to await official park opening. It’s even more crowded here than yesterday, and our position in the normal standby line is…not optimal. Plus, Steel Vengeance is doing its daily thing where it isn’t quite working properly yet. Well, I rode it the most of anyone yesterday, and Josh doesn’t want to do it ever again (he’s coming down with some sort of deadly sickness), so we both exit the queue. I head instead for the still-short waittime at Maverick, and Josh heads for the toilets.
enhance

Aaaand…Maverick has a breakdown. Very out-of-character for Maverick. I was in the loading station, so I just waited 10 minutes, Maverick awoke, and I rode.

Once again I’m running around solo. With Steel Vengeance being a crowd magnet, Top Thrill Dragster (the park’s “Peter Pan”) has a short wait. So I go there. Aaaand…Top Thrill Dragster has a breakdown. This happens to it, like, 8 times every day. No big deal.
enhance

Now, Jim went back home to Tiffin last night. We weren’t sure if he’d be making it back up at all today. But there was even a chance he’d bring his son Anton! So I was most heartened when I got his text while waiting for TTD. He and Anton have just entered down by Gatekeeper! They’re headed my way NOW!

And right as TTD comes back online, I spy AJ roaming solo down the Midway. I text him, tell him to get in line for Dragster. And with James and Anton now visible walking up from Corkscrew, screw it, I just hop into Dragster’s far rear seat since it has the shortest wait. Did front row yesterday. While our train rushes through the brake run, I yell at AJ down in the queue below, only he doesn’t notice.
enhance

Rushing off, I join Jim & Anton. We stick around until AJ too arrives. Then we discuss the most important topic of all (if you ask Jim or myself): lunch. AJ isn’t interested. But I can’t pass up a little extra time with Jim, so we return to Frontiertown for a BBQ restaurant. I get into a childish argument with Anton on whether mac & cheese is a vegetable (I say it is), and we enjoy some good-for-a-park smoked chicken.

Little time remains. About an hour. Enough time to head towards the front of the park, grabbing neglected rides along the way. For convenience, and because I love Bonesville, we take the Railroad down to the Millennium Midway. Words cannot express the majesty that is Bonesville, so enjoy some more pictures of its skeletal wonder:
enhance

enhance

We exit the railroad under the shadow of Millennium Force. Here we pause to ride the Iron Dragon.
iron-dragon-relatively.jpg

Stock image

For some reason Iron Dragon doesn’t take FastLane, so I avoided it yesterday. But this was the only Cedar Point coaster I hadn’t done yet on this trip (ignoring the kiddie coasters or Pipe Scream, which shouldn’t count). It’s a fun little family ride. An old Arrow Dynamics suspended coaster – the sort where the cars dangle below the track, and sway as you navigate the turns. They don’t make these any more, which is a shame. Disney could really use one!

The setting, gently gliding over greenery and ponds, is quite beautiful. Iron Dragon is more visually enticing than thrilling. The support columns, thick and vertical, resemble the pillars of an old ruined Celtic palace, so that’s where my mind goes during the ride, picturing how the ride could be reimagined and fully themed in the style of Beastly Kingdom. Iron Dragon is a great “my first coaster.” Thrill addicts find it extremely tame; Draggin’ Iron is the fan nickname. But parks need “bridge” rides like these, as CP management has directly stated to Jim.
enhance

To reach the front gate, we took the Sky Ride. Remember the Sky Ride at Disneyland? (Silent weeping.) It’s that. Riding over the Main Midway in a suspended open-air gondola, swaying precariously, getting great views of Cedar Point as she vanishes behind you. It is a poetic sendoff to a great amusement park. I bid Jim and Anton farewell as I rejoin my group near the parking lot. It’s slightly past noon now, and we have a few hours of driving directly ahead of us, for today we’re also doing…

Kings Island! Can it be conquered in half a day?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
To reach the front gate, we took the Sky Ride. Remember the Sky Ride at Disneyland?

I recall the Skyway at WDW (never been to Disneyland), and I miss it. Looking at your photo of the Sky Ride at Cedar Point reminded me of the gondola project at WDW, even though the cars will be quite different.

By the way, I agree with you about mac and cheese (it definitely is a vegetable)! :p

HouCuseChickie

Really enjoying the report!!! I've always wanted to go to Cedar Point. I remember all of the excitement over Millennium Force when it first opened and it became my dream coaster experience. Still have never made it up there. I was hoping to go and warm up on Magnum XL...had to settle for riding Desperado when driving through Nevada...which is much closer to Magnum than Millennium. Also excited to see you're ending at Great Adventure. DH and I were just talking about it before I saw your TR. We were season ticket holders when I was growing up and I have family in Jackson, so I always think pretty fondly of it...even if it's not a Disney park. May even go back next summer, but I don't know if I'll ever be ready to ride Kingda Ka. Can't wait to read more!

D Hulk

Original Poster
I recall the Skyway at WDW (never been to Disneyland), and I miss it. Looking at your photo of the Sky Ride at Cedar Point reminded me of the gondola project at WDW, even though the cars will be quite different.

By the way, I agree with you about mac and cheese (it definitely is a vegetable)! :p
I miss the Skyway. The WDW gondolas look good too, but they'll miss that breezy open-air feeling.

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on Kennywood. I live about 10 miles from there but somehow find myself more at Disney than there!!
Detailed thoughts will have to wait, but here's a spoiler: I loved it!

Really enjoying the report!!! I've always wanted to go to Cedar Point. I remember all of the excitement over Millennium Force when it first opened and it became my dream coaster experience. Still have never made it up there. I was hoping to go and warm up on Magnum XL...had to settle for riding Desperado when driving through Nevada...which is much closer to Magnum than Millennium. Also excited to see you're ending at Great Adventure. DH and I were just talking about it before I saw your TR. We were season ticket holders when I was growing up and I have family in Jackson, so I always think pretty fondly of it...even if it's not a Disney park. May even go back next summer, but I don't know if I'll ever be ready to ride Kingda Ka. Can't wait to read more!
If you've ever managed to do Great Adventure's Nitro, you've done something on par with Magnum. That's a good warm up for Millennium Force, which is a good warm up for Top Thrill Dragster, and then Kingda Ka. The first time on these massive rides is the scariest, but they're definitely worth it!

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Kings Island!
Coming right up!

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

Kings Island – Right on Queue
We hit the road in mid afternoon, driving from Cedar Point to Kings Island, me & AJ & Josh & Kevin & Evan. It’s a few hour drive across the scenic flatness of rural Ohio. Our plan was to get a few hours in at Kings Island this evening. This wasn’t do-or-die, since later will be a scheduled full day at Kings Island.

I drove. We stopped every once in a while to accommodate Josh’s bladder, which is a common factor over the entire trip. We stopped to get food and gas at a McDonald’s, and also gas at a Chevron. Since I alone had eaten in Cedar Point (mmm, BBQ!), I didn’t eat here.

Driving along, news comes in that Cincinnatti and Kings Island are experiencing their daily apocalyptic Ohio rainstorm. Every outdoor ride is closed! Guests are fleeing in terror for the exits! There’s a chance we won’t get any ride time tonight, but we press onward.
enhance

Highlights from an Ohio road trip

And Josh starts to feel absolutely sickened, moaning and wailing. Even now I’m not sure exactly what was going on, if he had a stomach bug or was just being a hypochondriac. At any rate, he suddenly declared “No more roller coasters for life!,” and as the guy with the car this meant trouble. Or so it seemed. Josh’s older brother AJ knows his schtick well, and haggled out a compromise with Josh. He’d drop the rest of us off at Kings Island, and chauffeur poor Josh to the evening’s hotel.

Reaching Kings Island at last sometime around 6 or so, the rains have just cleared up. There is hardly a soul to be seen. The park is wet, empty, and everything’s running again! Kevin, Evan and I unload to take full advantage of a totally vacant theme park, while AJ begins the two-hour hotel round trip. (Blame Cincinnatti traffic and the fact we’re staying way the heck off in Kentucky.)
enhance

A totally empty theme park!

For now I’ll forego any description of Kings Island’s look or layout. Their central Eiffel Tower replica is but a blur as we race by. No time to take in the ambiance yet, every ride is a virtual walk-on and we plan to conquer this major park in a mere few hours.
enhance

That quest begins with Banshee, possibly the park’s best coaster. (Consensus seems impossible, with others preferring Diamondback or The Beast.) Banshee is the B&M invert, among the genre’s newest (2014) and a world record holder. As with similar rides like Raptor, Banshee is a series of wild and creative inversions – vertical loops, Immelmanns, dive loops, pretzel knots, zero-g rolls. It handles these elements very smoothly thanks to B&M’s experience, with every twist feeling very naturalistic even while a rider’s equilibrium is eradicated. Due to sloping terrain, Banshee gets faster as it goes, meaning a nice dramatic escalation when many coasters seem to climax on their first drop. Banshee’s finale, arguably its climax, is a super slow inline twist which seemingly holds you weightless upside down for several seconds.
enhance

My enthusiast buddies Kevin & Evan say Banshee would be the world’s best invert…if it had better restraints. The harnesses are a bit more restrictive than on other B&Ms. I’m not experienced enough with coasters yet to critique restraints myself.
enhance

Following, we decide to continue touring systematically. Nearby is The Bat. Well, its entrance is nearby. The (empty) queue is a ¼ mile trek through a forested ravine, and part of that walkway is totally flooded. We each take different approaches to crossing the pool, from Kevin’s running leap to my railing trapeze walk. (I’ve chosen to wear dress shoes on this trip after finding them more comfortable to walk in than hiking shoes, and I can’t get ‘em wet.)

The Bat is an Arrow suspended coaster, like Iron Dragon. Unlike Iron Dragon this one has some true intensity to it, with a pretty decent drop down into a quarry and some sharp turns which really put strain on the swaying cars. It might be the wildest of its type still surviving. The Bat’s remote location hurts it the most, despite a cool rocky canyon setting, due to the constant views of a Great Wolf Lodge.
enhance

Next up is Drop Tower. I looked it up, that’s the name. I sit this one out since it seems to have harsh deceleration at the bottom. Meanwhile Kevin, as a cliff jumping hobbyist, is a connoisseur of drop towers (here’s his Top 10 Drop Towers list). Evan’s fine with ‘em. From off-ride it seemed pretty typical. I’ll be doing more interesting towers later on.
enhance

Now, while I thought we’d continue touring systematically, we then proceed to walk straight past Adventure Express, The Racer, Firehawk and Flight of Fear, straight to Vortex. Kev & Ev seem pretty nostalgic for these old Arrow Dynamics multi-loopers. Vortex is certainly an important ride, the tallest ever when it opened in 1987, with the most inversions then at six. By all accounts it was once an exceptional ride.
enhance

I fondly recall when Viper opened a few years later at Magic Mountain. It was my favorite coaster ever at the time, with its similar height and loops. Time hasn’t been kind! Viper and Vortex are both the roughest rides now at their respective parks. We’ve progressed technically since then. While today’s designers use complex computer modeling, back then layouts were created with wire hangars. Calculations done by hand. There’s a vintage charm, sure, not enough to overcome the pain and the headbanging. One of my least favorite rides from the trip, unfortunately.
enhance

Afterwards we skip past many more queueless attractions (Backlot Stunt Coaster, The Beast) straight to Diamondback. It’s a great example of modern smoothness, a B&M hypercoaster so comfortable and relaxing that the 230’ height barely registers.

The ride layout is very familiar. Big lift hill and drop, progressively smaller hills along an out-and-back layout with a twisting banked turnaround. B&M’s seating feels more exposed than something like Intamin’s Millennium Force. For my taste, it’s less exciting and less aggressive. Can a ride be too smooth?! Perhaps. At no point does Diamondback feel out-of-control. It has perfectly-shaped hills. There’s a zen to that which makes it many folk’s Kings Island fave.

Diamondback loses steam past its brake run, which is a common issue. It trades big hills for a fairly redundant helix. The big splashdown finale is great, a modern update on a time-tested coaster trope, and it’s a fantastic iconic moment on-ride and off.

Some say Diamondback has a rattle, which makes me snicker.
enhance

Nearby is the ride we’ve been putting off…Mystic Timbers. The hope is to wait until AJ returns, since none of us have yet ridden this 2017 marvel. But we give up and ride it anyway. AJ then arrives immediately afterwards, and we all ride it again.

Mystic Timbers is a modern wooden coaster by Great Coasters International (GCI to its friends). GCI is known for making family-friendly woodies, which is exactly what Mystic Timbers is, and exactly what Kings Island needed. It’s a bridge ride between Planet Snoopy and The Beast nearby (it’s basically “Beast Jr.”). Not terribly tall – just over 100’, and with a gradual banked drop. Not super fast or aggressive, but filled with little repeating hills at a variety of unusual angles. Unusually for a GCI it’s an out-and-back layout (crossing the White Water Canyon raft ride) instead of twisting spaghetti bowl craziness.
enhance

There’s plenty more to be said on Mystic Timbers, on its theming and its infamous shed, but those aspects of Kings Island I want to hold onto until we return in two days.

For now let’s go over to Mystic Timbers Sr., AKA The Beast. To me, it’s Kings Island’s best ride, and that tells you a bit about my coaster tastes. This one is divisive. Kevin thinks it’s overhyped. Says it does nothing. So what’s it do?

It goes off into the forest and back. Lasts 4 minutes, which is eons in coaster years.

Now…I could say A LOT more about The Beast, but it’s so central to our next day in Kings Island that let’s leave it a shadowy mystery for now.

The Beast is a beast, and I’m out for the count after this. AJ follows Kevin & Evan back to redo rides we’ve already done, which seems redundant to me. Besides I’m hungry – I’m the only one who avoided McDonald’s – so instead I venture out to the International Street entry area in a beastly food hunt. I mercilessly devour theme park pizza!
enhance

It’s now the final half hour before Kings Island’s 10 PM closing. The sun has set – it went down while we were on The Beast, which is ideal. International Street sparkles with nighttime energy. Dancing fountains glow with ever-changing colors. So does the Eiffel Tower. A musical loop adds magic. I pause, pizza sauce dripping down my chin, as the ambiance reaches near Disney levels of charm.
enhance

Then the fireworks start!

There aren’t many non-Disney parks which still offer nightly fireworks. Kings Island is special. Theirs are fairly low-key, just some smaller bursts over 5 minutes accompanied by pop songs. Still I love that they do this. It’s a great little punctuation to the day.
enhance

And while no one managed to do all of Kings Island’s coasters in our short few-hour window (due to interest, energy, or otherwise), we certainly could have…and we will again soon.

Up next: Our longest day. Two parks. Hundreds of miles.

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

Day 6 – Kentucky Kingdom
Our post-Kings Island hotel was a Comfort Inn (whoo-hoo!) way down in Kentucky. It was in a little town called Florence, noteworthy for their water tower declaring “Florence Y’All!” We all really liked that forced southern sentiment. Even saw it on some local T-shirts. Even saw a miniature “Florence Y’Al” tower at the local minigolf course.
enhance

There are two parks on the agenda today: Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World. First up is the 10 AM rope drop at Louiseville’s Kentucky Kingdom (Kentucky’s only amusement park), which means a slow start to the day. Much appreciated. It’s an easy drive out to the fairgrounds, and the small regional park only brings in a few dozen people at opening.

Kentucky Kingdom began in 1987 as a part of the Kentucky State Fair in the Kentucky Exposition Center. Kentucky. Then it closed and it remained fallow. Then local businessman Ed Hart bought it, reopened it, ran it. A decade later, Kentucky Kingdom was purchased by the dreaded Six Flags. Roughly another decade later (2010 now) Six Flags remorselessly closed the park, claiming issues with the lease. For a few years it again rotted in plain sight. Then again Ed Hart bought the park, and it reopened gloriously in 2014 better than ever! Already since then they’ve opened two major new coasters (bringing their count to five), making this a great few-hour stopover for our nearby coaster crew.
enhance

Kentucky Kingdom sits rather awkwardly on the state’s fairgrounds sandwiched in by a mall and an airport. The park is split down the middle by a public road, with a single pedestrian bridge connecting the halves. The layout is odd, partly for that reason. Instead of a continuous loop or a hub ‘n’ spoke, they have a series of S-shaped paths creating a single meandering route from the front to the back.
enhance

Aesthetically, the park is a typical assortment of theme park building styles. Some are Germanic, or Old Western, or Contemporary. That last style is the vestige of Six Flags’ ownership, giving this tiny regional park more of a corporate feel than it needs. The Hurricane Bay (nee Harbor) water park is the largest reminder of Six Flags’ cancerous presence.
enhance

Our first stop is Lightning Run, Ed’s major 2014 addition in his big push to (successfully) reclaim the park. Ed’s plans initially were for a B&M, but understandably limited budgets resulted in the creation of the world’s only “Hyper GT-X” by Chance Rides. And it’s not a bad ride at all! It’s a mere 100’ tall, but the layout and style all suggest a hypercoaster over twice its height. Big ol’ drop, lotsa airtime hills, big intensity, all over a smallish space in full view of the mall’s Macy’s. Doubtlessly that can’t hold a candle to the likes of Millennium Force, but it’s a smooth, fun little ride, perfectly scaled for its park.
enhance

From there we pass through King Louie’s Playland – we all totally ignore the Roller Skater junior coaster, even the group’s credit whores. (Think some claimed it on the way out though.) Instead we cross the service road, past the Hurricane Bay entrance (odd pathway routes mean we get lost and double back), over to the park’s signature Thunder Run wooden coaster.

(You’ll notice there’s a bit of a persistent weather theme to KK’s koasters.)
enhance

Nothing much particularly stands out about the Thunder Run ride experience. It stands in my mind as a perfectly adequate woodie. A double out-and-back, meaning some fun time rushing within the wooden structure. Some good airtime, some good drops. For a local’s park, a really decent woodie to have on hand.

Next up is T3, which is not so good. Nope. Ummm. Consensus group pick: Worst coaster of the trip! Oh boy!
enhance

What is it? Why, a Vekoma SLC – Suspended Looping Coaster. It’s Vekoma’s version of those B&M inverts, and a testament to the quality of B&M’s engineering. The cars dangle stiffly from the track, with every element appearing suddenly, jerkily and unnaturally.

It’s also now that I start to truly appreciate Cedar Fair’s ride ops professionalism. Throughout the visit, Kentucky Kingdom’s rides would load slower and dispatch less often. Employees – and bless ‘em, they do try – were often slow and inefficient about checking restraints, and the unruly guests didn’t help.

On T3 this was most apparent, as it took ‘em a good 6 to 7 minutes to get that train moving and out of the station. The cars had these stupid “jetpack” buttons which unlocked the seat belts, but their design was akin to a big red “DO NOT PUSH” button – you can’t help but touch ‘em! So we kept accidentally releasing ourselves. Half of T3’s seats didn’t even latch properly, meaning the employees kept shifting riders from seat to seat trying to get us safe.

The on-ride photos were priceless. (Wish we’d gotten ‘em.) Evan looked like a torture victim. I was making my road rage face. Kevin was all smiles, the weirdo.
enhance

But we didn’t come to Kentucky Kingdom for T3! Nope, we’re here for Storm Chaser, a 2016 RMC. This is a huge “get” for Kentucky Kingdom, the sort of trendy ride to put ‘em on the map! Easily their best.

We pass the Raging Rapids River Ride (RRRR) to get there. Josh is tagging along, somewhat recovered from his long-night-of-the-soul overcoming stomach sickness. He’s only ridden a few of the day’s coasters so far (a wise man, he skipped T3), and he’ll do RRRR instead of RMC, which is a smart thing since he detests I-box rides. But he loves rapids rides, they’re his “thing,” and he’ll do ‘em in any park. So it’s RRRR for Josh, which I’m told was themed to The Penguin under Six Flags’ DC license, and it still retains some good-for-here theming concerning giant umbrellas and an ice factory.
enhance

But anyway, Storm Chaser. It’s a really, really good ride. Already RMC is definitely showing their formula, with their characteristic insane combo of quickie hills and wild banks and inversions. Unique elements only I-box track can do. Storm Chaser reuses old coaster supports, an RMC specialty, only the former Twisted Twins were made of steel instead of wood. This makes Storm Chaser uglier than other RMCs, looking like a power station crossed with an oil refinery. Set along a major Louiseville boulevard, you get great panoramic views of the hog smelting factory or whatever.

But it’s a great fun intense ride, as I said, much in the style of a Steel Vengeance Junior. After two rides each, the group briefly splits. AJ wants rerides on other coasters. I photograph Kevin and Evan redoing Storm Chaser, then I stick around to get 4 rides total on it.
enhance

And that’s all the time we have (or need) for Kentucky Kingdom. The park’s other offerings are the typical assortment of flat rides, plus a Tin Lizzies. This was just the day’s appetizer.

Lunch would be fried southern slop at Indi’s.

The great Thanksgiving banquet would be Holiday World!

TheMouseFan

Fun little fact: that Florence water tower used to say Florence Mall and supposedly an auto dealer complained that the mall was getting free advertising and it was changed to Florence Y'all! Not that this has anything to do with your coaster trip, but I thought I would share that little tidbit!! I'm really enjoying hearing about all of the different amusement parks I haven't been to and getting someone else's take on KI and Cedar Point!

Sillysidewalker

Cedar point was my “home” park as a kid. My first coaster was the Magnum and I still love it!

Did you ride Power Tower? I strongly dislike drop rides so I steer clear.

My kiddos are dying to be tall enough to ride the coasters. They all have a need for speed and they can’t wait until their day in the sun and I can’t wait to ride with them!

Following along.

D Hulk

Original Poster
Fun little fact: that Florence water tower used to say Florence Mall and supposedly an auto dealer complained that the mall was getting free advertising and it was changed to Florence Y'all! Not that this has anything to do with your coaster trip, but I thought I would share that little tidbit!! I'm really enjoying hearing about all of the different amusement parks I haven't been to and getting someone else's take on KI and Cedar Point!
My travelmates would love this trivia. We got pretty obsessed with the Florence Y’All sign.

Glad you’re enjoying the report so far!
Cedar point was my “home” park as a kid. My first coaster was the Magnum and I still love it!

Did you ride Power Tower? I strongly dislike drop rides so I steer clear.

My kiddos are dying to be tall enough to ride the coasters. They all have a need for speed and they can’t wait until their day in the sun and I can’t wait to ride with them!

Following along.
Never done Power Tower. Did do the Drop of Doom at SF Great Adventure, which is the world’s tallest (connected to Kingda Ka).

You’re kids are gonna love CP!

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

Holiday World – #1 for Family Fun!
You’re driving through the cornfields of rural Indiana. You haven’t seen a motel, much less a city, in nearly an hour. Apparently there’s a town around here called “Santa Claus,” a town that’s not much more (legends tell) than a seedy motor lodge which still has its 1974 Christmas decorations up not due to any thematic cleverness but just due to sheer utter laziness. What a desolate place this is!

Then, rising from the hillsides like some prophetic vision, appear gorgeous wooden coasters in the last place you’d expect. Your long multi-hour voyage is at an end, pilgrim. Welcome to the promised land. Welcome to Holiday World (and Splashin’ Safari)!
enhance

Holiday World is a fairly unlikely family-run theme park. It has no more resources than a place like Kentucky Kingdom, probably, but it’s managed to become a must-do for coaster fanatics across the nation. How has this humble, unassuming independent operation succeeded so mightily? By specializing in a few choice areas.

Excellent customer service.

Excellent wood coasters.

The world’s #1 water park.
enhance

Pulling into the simple gravel parking lot, already you notice Holiday World’s famed customer service. No fee! FREE PARKING! So many parks (ahem!, Six Flags) will nickle & dime you over petty costs, but Holiday World treats its guests with dignity. A great way to start your visit in a positive mood.

Admission is still an up charge (we bought tickets online in advance), but it’s on the cheaper end. It’s clear from Holiday World’s overall look that they’re not rolling in dough. The entry land is called Christmas – no big surprise, the themed lands are all based on different holidays. It looks like the basic Christmassy retail space you’d expect outside of a small town called Santa Claus. Christmas feels totally 1946! That’s when they built it. The central plaster Santa statue is the definition of generic. There’s not much to this Christmas area, really.
enhance

Park mascots are scampering and capering about freely. Seemingly every minor regional park has its standard sub-Mickey mascot (legally mandated by Congress to be a dog, bear, cat or varmint). Among these, Holiday World’s pantheon is the most endearing. You have Holidog (a morbidly obese Gromit as per @S.P.E.W), Safari Sam, George the Eagle, and the lovely Kitty Claws.

The park is laid out in a single winding pathway for the most park, crossing a valley. The further you go, the newer the park becomes. We continue down slope into Halloween, which is so non-threatening it makes Mickey’s Not-So Scary Halloween look like an R-rated gore-soaked blood-spewing nightmare. Throughout, Holiday World keeps to a simple and safe greeting card aesthetic. Their Halloween is filled with spooky cats, jack-o-lanterns, skellingtons and sheet ghosts. And a few really awesome rides, which we’ll get back to.
enhance

For now our goal is to reach the park’s furthest section, Thanksgiving. We pause at the free lockers – let me repeat, FREE LOCKERS – to ditch our water park gear for later. We also apply a little FREE SUNSCREEN from these big squirt jugs at the entrance to Splashin’ Safari. Then we continue the pilgrimage up slope to the promised land. To Thanksgiving.

Once again, it’s the standard Hallmark version of Thanksgiving. But it’s the best holiday of all time, no question, and also the park’s best land! Simple structures have a light overlay of pilgrim-era design. Basic flat rides are thematically appropriate, like spinning turkeys or a Mayflower swinging ship. We’re all a little parched from the hike out here, so we pause at a drinker dispenser to enjoy Holiday World’s FREE SODAS!!!
enhance

For that this free swag, Holiday World is still best known for their three world class, Top 20 wood roller coasters – The Raven, The Legend, and The Voyage. Symbolically, The Voyage represents the Pilgrims crossing the Atlantic to the New World. Literally, it features a 163’ hill followed by a rickety, raucous ride out into the deepest, darkest Indiana forests and then back. Think of it as The Beast, only with coaster elements actually happening throughout. Endless twists, hills and drops! Just when you think the ride’s halfway over, and you’re about to turn around – because the thick woods make visibility ahead difficult – it just keeps on going, beyond all expectations. Numerous underground tunnels hide what’s next. Even once u-turning and passing the brake run, additional twisty helices under and past the lift hill extend your ride time to nearly 3 breathless minutes.

And returning to the station, invigorated yet exhausted, the endlessly cheery ride ops (love ‘em!) ask if we want to go again. Since there’s no one queued in the station, we can! No one gets up, no one unbuckles, and once again we’re hurtled through a bone-shattering course.

When offered a third round trip, we all decline. We’re pooped.
enhance

And may I offer up a controversial opinion? I might prefer The Voyage to Steel Vengeance! Which would make this my favorite roller coaster of all! My buddies who’ve been to Holiday World before assure me that this is the absolute best performance they’ve ever gotten on The Voyage, which has a tendency to be too rough at times. It’s a classic wooden coaster after all – the genius creation of The Gravity Group – and even now in tiptop shape the trains perpetually feel like they’re about to rip right off the track and slalom into a pine tree.

But The Voyage has nearly everything I love about a coaster. It’s lengthy. It’s tall. It has oodles of airtime – world record holder before Steel Vengeance came about. As an over-sized classic woodie, it’s more timeless than Steel Vengeance’s hybrid track. And there’s the sense of a narrative, of a true voyage (which you don’t get with rides that go upside down repeatedly over a parking lot).
enhance

Next up is Thunderbird, an outlier, the park’s only steel coaster. This is a B&M launched wing coaster, which is about as far from “classic woodie” as a coaster can get. This is B&M’s first and only in-house launch (Universal created the launch for Hulk), making it a must-do for enthusiasts. Very much unlike The Voyage, Thunderbird to me just seemed like a series of random inversions with no dramatic progression. Certainly it’s a good and intense ride, but out-of-place in this particular park…and a bane on The Voyage’s woodsy ambiance as this steel behemoth’s cyclopean pedestals now intrude on the woodie’s territory.
enhance

Lastly in Thanksgiving is Gobbler Getaway, our first dark ride of the trip! Pretty impressive for a park like this. This is your typical Sally Corp. shooter ride, the type with tiny hard-to-hit quarter-sized targets and oft-malfunctioning blasters. The scenery – which has basically zero to do with the shooting element – is Toad-style plywood cutouts of pilgrims, farmers and turkeys. The premise, now there’s the interesting thing. We’re out “calling” turkeys…not shooting them! All this in preparation for the annual Thanksgiving feast. In a clever final gag, the family decides to eat…pizza. Josh the pizza-gobbler approves.

That concludes, for now, our time in Thanksgiving. The sun is starting to sink, meaning time is fleeting to do the world’s #1 water park before it closes. It’s safari time!

Up next: Splashin’ Safari

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Apparently there’s a town around here called “Santa Claus,” a town that’s not much more (legends tell) than a seedy motor lodge which still has its 1974 Christmas decorations up not due to any thematic cleverness but just due to sheer utter laziness.

Then, rising from the hillsides like some prophetic vision, appear gorgeous wooden coasters in the last place you’d expect. Your long multi-hour voyage is at an end, pilgrim. Welcome to the promised land. Welcome to Holiday World (and Splashin’ Safari)!

Santa Claus (town) with a seedy motor lodge, and retro Christmas decorations from 1974 -- what a unique vacation destination! :D

FREE PARKING! So many parks (ahem!, Six Flags) will nickle & dime you over petty costs, but Holiday World treats its guests with dignity. A great way to start your visit in a positive mood.

Free parking--that's a great perk! :)

It’s clear from Holiday World’s overall look that they’re not rolling in dough. The entry land is called Christmas – no big surprise, the themed lands are all based on different holidays. It looks like the basic Christmassy retail space you’d expect outside of a small town called Santa Claus. Christmas feels totally 1946! That’s when they built it. The central plaster Santa statue is the definition of generic. There’s not much to this Christmas area, really.

Oddly enough, I like old parks with minimal design features. As long as they put the money into some good attractions (like decent wooden coasters), I'm in!! :happy:

Park mascots are scampering and capering about freely. Seemingly every minor regional park has its standard sub-Mickey mascot (legally mandated by Congress to be a dog, bear, cat or varmint). Among these, Holiday World’s pantheon is the most endearing. You have Holidog (a morbidly obese Gromit as per @S.P.E.W), Safari Sam, George the Eagle, and the lovely Kitty Claws.

OMG -- Holidog! :hilarious:

Skibum1970

The Bat is an Arrow suspended coaster, like Iron Dragon. Unlike Iron Dragon this one has some true intensity to it, with a pretty decent drop down into a quarry and some sharp turns which really put strain on the swaying cars. It might be the wildest of its type still surviving. The Bat’s remote location hurts it the most, despite a cool rocky canyon setting, due to the constant views of a Great Wolf Lodge.

More random trivia. The original Bat was Arrow's first suspended coaster built back in 1981 where the Vortex stands. However, due to significant mechanical problems, the Bat was taken down. It had two lift hills and a decent layout. Sadly, I was too chicken to ride it that year. A few years after the Bat's demolition, the Vortex was built on the same site and actually utilizes the same load building. The current Bat was built in 1993 by Paramount who dubbed it "Top Gun". It played music from the movie and had some cheap theming to make it seem that you were going through an aircraft carrier (by cheap, I mean very cheap) prior to boarding. Top Gun/The Bat stands where part of the old KI Lion Country Monorail was located although it traveled all the way to the back of the Racer.

A lot of history.

Yes, Vortex is a headache inducer and I refuse to ride it anymore. Diamondback is very smooth except for a really nasty vibrations that occur after the hammerhead turn. You hit the bottom of the drop out of the turn and you feel it very intensely, especially in the back.

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

Splashin’ Safari & Other Pleasures
Found in the very heart of Holiday World is Splashin’ Safari, their exceptional water park which is included with regular park admission. So many of the Cedar Flags / Six Fair water parks are separate tickets. Grr! Splashin’ Safari is different – it’s included, it’s superior, it’s a crucial part of your visit to Santa Claus.

We all change into our trunks at the free lockers, whilst applying the free sunscreen.

This sub-park’s African safari theme is a bit of a shift away from the holiday stuff everywhere else. Whatever, it’s fun enough on it’s own, and it doesn’t really register anyway. You’re more just aware of the big towering waterslides, and of the nearby RV campground visible in the hillside treeline. The smell of charcoal grills permeates the valley, mixed with the watery stench of chlorine, altogether recalling memories of distant childhood summers.
maxresdefault.jpg

Apologies for the stock photos. Didn’t want to drown my iPhone.
Splashin’ Safari is defined by its two water coasters, Wildebeest and Mammoth. We do the older, less-aggressive Wildebeest first for dramatic reasons. The queue wait for each nears an hour, thanks to capacity and popularity. These are the trip’s longest lines!

Wildebeest was once the world’s longest water coaster, before its neighbor Mammoth overtook it. With both, the central concept is using “HydroMagnetic” linear induction motors to propel the steel plated raft up slopes. A conveyor belt lift hill gets you to the top. A series of S-turning slides and tunnels filled with rushing water sends rafts racing out-of-control down the course.
maxresdefault.jpg

Mammoth is altogether a similar ride. It’s distinguished mostly by its greater length, and by its circular “blood capsule” rafts in place of Wildebeest’s toboggan-style seating. Mammoth offers a really long ride, 3 minutes, complete with one or two genuine airtime moments at sheer drop-offs. Multiple times along curves the raft will rush up a slope, threatening to flip over and horrifying elevated riders. This is a great group ride. You laugh while your friend is soaked, only to then suffer the same fate.

Arguably, depending on tastes, Mammoth is Holiday World's best ride. (My heart goes to The Voyage.)

From there we rush through many of the Safari’s other slides, racing its looming 6 PM closure.
WaterCoasters.jpg

Next is Jungle Racer, where guests on mats race each other in 10 lanes down a rather tall course.

Then ZOOMbabwe, the world’s longest river rapids slide. The inflatable rafts are like smaller versions of Mammoth’s, with a simpler gravity-driven ride. It’s enclosed in total darkness the whole way. Strange screams echo eerily. Pinhole “constellation” faces like Lite Brite designs provide visual stimulus throughout. I think a creative ride designer could take that visual element and create something really exciting out of it!

And next? Otorongo, “three intertwining inline tube slides” per Wikipedia. My specific recollection falters. What stands out to me is schlepping the inner tube up these super tall 100+ foot structures to reach the slide’s highest point. Splashin’ Safari is a decent workout. The Legend, legendary wooden coaster, threads through these water park structures, adding to the thrill on both coaster and slide.

Lastly we do Watubee, another rapids ride.

There’s plenty more to Splashin’ Safari I haven’t covered. There’s the kiddie playground structure with tilting water bucket, the lazy river, the wave pools, assorted tube slides, et cetera. One could easily make a day of just this section alone.
enhance

Now back to photos I took on an overcast day.

But as we’re semi-changing from swimwear to streetwear, we take full advantage of the wetness. Holiday World’s water rides are all nearby (by design), so clad in trunks and sandals and Hawaiian shirt (I came prepared!) I return with my group to the regular theme park.

We do Raging Rapids in Boulder Canyon, which is technically in the Fourth of July land. (This area I haven’t mentioned yet; it’s basically a collection of flat rides placed off to the side.) As a theme park rapids ride, it’s pretty typical. The rapids themselves are unremarkable, and not too moistening. The flooded Old West town we saw from off-ride – the element which attracted us to begin with – also amounts to little. Ah, but every rapids ride always ends with a sneaky soaking trick – in this case a sheer wall of water which doesn’t shut off as your raft passes entirely underneath it. I wouldn’t bother changing from my outfit from this point onward. From now on in life, I am wet.

So the Frightful Falls log flume in Halloween is no problem. Pretty simple ride. A “spooky” dark tunnel, a turnaround in a concrete channel, then a small lift hill and drop. Along the way is a cardboard graveyard with pun-filled tombstones and plastic bats on strings hanging from trees. Josh, who likes theming, didn’t even notice these. No joke, many of my neighbors do more elaborate theming in their front yards for the real Halloween.

While my travelmates return to the lockers to change into dry clothes, I simply loiter by a free soft drink dispenser. I dry off like a dog by shaking.
enhance

Then we conquer Holiday World’s remaining two classic woodies, both in Halloween. Next is the middle child, The Legend, named for “The Legend of Sleeping Hollow.” It’s probably the grimmest thing in Halloween, and it’s mostly just the name. On-ride, there are many tunnels which recall the covered bridge from Washington Irving’s tale, which is enough for me to imagine a desperate pursuit by the Headless Horseman – making it more distinct than an unthemed woodie.

The ride is most distinct for how it interacts with Splashin’ Safari. There are also some really aggressive helixes towards the end, making this a ride characterized by its lateral horizontal forces more than its drops. While we all love The Voyage the most, AJ declares The Legend underrated.
enhance

Next door is The Raven, Holiday World’s first woodie from way back circa 1995. It and The Legend are both Custom Coasters creations. This ride’s theme is Poe; its loading station is like an old Gothic manse. Its ride experience is…typical woodie? Lots of coasters are starting to blur together in my head now. The Raven is unique for opening when wooden coasters were a somewhat lost form. For that reason, it was generally ranked the world’s best woodie for its first decade or so, helping to pave the way for many of the wilder modern woodies which have come later (like The Voyage).

So make the voyage to the legendary Holiday World. You won’t stop raven!

I had to make that awful pun someplace. Not sorry!

There’s one more noteworthy thing about Holiday World I haven’t mentioned yet – Plymouth Rock Café. Yeah, they got the usual sub-cafeteria theme park grub too. But this place, found alongside The Voyage’s epic lift hill, serves Thanksgiving Dinner daily. Not to be missed!
enhance

Granted buffeteria-style turkey cannot match the succulent masterpieces I create on my rotisserie back home. Still I’m in heaven. Thanksgiving is doubtlessly my favorite holiday, because I find it gets the essentials (food, family) far better than any other festival, and without needless distractions. A hearty debate erupts over the dinner table, with some (Kevin) calling turkey an “overrated meat.” Yeah, if you’re a terrible chef!

Following a delightful dinner, we unwind with a couple more nailbiting rides on The Voyage.
enhance

And as AJ rushes off with Kevin to do The Legend again, I wander with Evan and Josh to check out the sections of park we’ve glossed over. We walk through Fourth of July with its patriotic flat rides. The theme seems to be presidential trivia spanning U.S. history. You got the Tippecanoe canoes. The Rough Riders bumper cars. Where’s the Watergate water ride?!
enhance

And we duck into Holidog’s Fun Town, the de rigueur kiddie land. Technically, there’s a family steel coaster out here. Also a miniature train which circumnavigates the tiny land. Holidog himself is incredibly badass, but his Fun Town is your basic segregated kiddie zone, of no use to grown manchildren like ourselves.
enhance

Closing time. It’s now a long, long drive back to Florence Y’All, Kentucky. We won’t return until midnight. We contended with psychotic bus drivers along the way, like the Indiana version of Spielberg’s Duel, all while Josh kvetched about toll roads. A memorable drive, but deeply uncomfortable from the rear middle car seat.

Up next: An entire extra day at Kings Island.

pezgirlroy

Thank you for clarifying that. Having grown up in Cincinnati, I remember it being Florence Mall so I was confused when the picture said Y'All. :)

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

Day 7 – Return to Kings Island
Today we’re returning to Kings Island for a full day of fun. With that, let’s finally give this great big park a proper overview.

Kings Island opened in 1972 as a relocation effort for Ohio’s Coney Island. It flirts with the Disney approach to park design more than nearly any other regional park. The entry land is International Street, a “Main Street” with European facades flanking a dancing fountain pool. All this is dwarfed by a 1/3 scale Eiffel Tower, the park’s central icon and weenie. The remaining park is laid out in the storied hub & spoke model, with the Eiffel Tower always visible as a landmark to help with orientation.
enhance

There are additional themed lands, the best being Rivertown. (The frontier area is almost always the best themed.) Other sections, like Action Zone and Coney Mall, feel more “corporate amusement park.” Overall it’s a conflicted park. The theming on International Street can’t quite match Disney quality, with lesser textures and no forced perspective, et cetera. The many bare-naked thrill rides exhibit no theme at all.

At one point Paramount owned Kings Island (plus other parks), making a genuine effort at doing immersive movie theming. Then Cedar Fair bought the park, and the licenses to stuff like Top Gun and Tomb Raider expired. For a while, new additions were purely in the “iron park” style of Cedar Point. But more recently there’s been a renewed focus on the park’s unique style, much like the recent revitalization at Knott’s. There are still scattered efforts at on-ride theming, with 2017’s Mystic Timbers being the poster child for this.
enhance

This would the day’s first ride, our Early Ride Time destination.

Last time I discussed Mystic Timbers’ ride experience. Now let’s talk theme. Mystic Timbers is themed to a haunted forest. The trees themselves have come to life seeking revenge against the Miami Valley Lumber Company. The ride itself barely features this, but the queue has backstory videos, abandoned sawmill props, and then there’s…

The shed!
enhance

#whatsintheshed? Kings Island hyped up this “mystery” element so, so much in advance. What would the post-ride shed contain? A drop track? An inversion? A gigacoaster? It turns out it’s basically a Rickroll.

You enter the shed, rotted and overtaken by snakelike vines, where radios play some mood-shattering ‘80s music. You sit here for a while. Operationally it’s the block track prior to unloading, a way to pass the time while the next train dispatches. The song is just to make it less boring. And as your train moves on, a screen projection restores the horror mood with a ferocious monster attack. Sometimes it’s Manbat, sometimes it’s Treebeard.

Opinions are mixed (in our group and in general) on how stupid the shed is. I forgive it. Without the lead-up hype, I doubt anyone would be disappointed.

As regular operating hours begin, we head to the park’s two “Peter Pans” – its low-capacity, high-demand rides. Both are in the X-Zone conspiracy theory area down a dead end.
enhance

Firehawk is a Vekoma flying coaster. B&M would later perfect this style. In either case, you ride in a prone “flying” position like Superman. But how to get riders into this position? Vekoma’s solution is to load trains in a reclining, Lay-Z-Boy manner. You lie recumbent on your back, and even go up the lift hill staring directly into the sun tilted slightly backwards, blood pooling into your skull. (B&M uses seats which change position.) Once the coaster proper starts, the track twists around so you’re dangled under it, held in place by a comfy chest harness.

The flying coaster sensation can be at times transcendent and exhilarating, like a bird, and at times exceedingly forceful. Firehawk is Jim’s least favorite coaster; he blacks out on it. Me, I like it fine. Compared to Tatsu or The Flying Dinosaur, Firehawk is middle-of-the-road.
enhance

Flight of Fear nearby is a launched indoor coaster, formerly themed to Outer Limits and now with a more generic alien abduction theme. It was the inspiration for Disney’s Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, and in ALL regards Flight of Fear is superior – it has better thrills and even better theming!

You queue indoors (moving way too fast usually) through an Area 51 warehouse. Then you enter a UFO, past jars of pickled extraterrestrials. Trains enter the claustrophobic loading station empty – an ominous sign. Once you’re buckled in, the next great surprise is that the launch happens immediately, in the station!

Then it’s a wild spaghetti bowl of inversions in near total darkness. A few lights flash. There’s no on-ride speaker; instead, strange alien noises echo from the shadows. It’s a disorienting and abstract experience which nicely conveys what it’s like to be abducted by aliens…I assume. The ride is pretty aggressive too, compared to Disney’s, despite a mid-course brake run which slows you to an almost complete stop.
enhance

After that our group resumes the touring pattern from before, beginning again with Banshee. For Josh alone this park is 100% new, and he’s having a blast. He’s fully recovered from the other night and going strong!

For reasons I now cannot recall, I ran ahead of the group and did Banshee quicker. I’ll remain solo for a while, slightly ahead of their schedule. So while they’re doing Banshee, I’m already off doing The Bat.
enhance

After that is Adventure Express, a surprisingly intense family mine train coaster. It has an Indiana Jones-style jungle theme in place of the usual Old West stuff. The intermittent theming is nice, like crumbling temple ruins with pointed bamboo traps. At other points it’s a bare-naked coaster rushing past greenery – Kings Island’s theming definitely waxes and wanes like that a lot. The ride’s finale is simply flabbergasting. You go up a second lift hill inside a cursed jungle palace, with living angry tiki gods on either side angrily pounding their drums. Then you glide through a steaming tunnel of lava…straight back to the load station. It is remarkably anticlimactic.

Next I do The Racer, a vintage 1972 wooden racing coaster. Some credit this classic with reviving roller coasters as a whole. I’ve done it dueling on previous trips, and it is a ton of fun. Sadly, today they’re only running one side (no crowds yet; walk-ons everywhere), which results in a lesser version of Blue Streak. An out-and-back with hills. A shame.
enhance

I skip right past Vortex (not doin’ that again!) over to Backlot Stunt Coaster. This is a Premier Rides family launch coaster which was once themed to The Italian Job. It is a respectable stab at doing a themed, story-driven ride on a regional budget. Train cars resemble Mini Coopers which dodge police cars, helicopter gunfire and explosions all throughout the freeways and dockyards and sewers of Los Angeles. So…my morning commute at home.

This ride has caught me off guard before. The 40-mph launch sends you into an upwards helix (inside a parking garage façade) which has actually caused me to grey out! The rest is just fun, compact coaster shenanigans. The movie special effects have aged a bit since 2005. Like with Adventure Express, the nude steel tracks undermine the car chase theming a bit. It’s a short ride over a small acreage, but quite fun.

Then I do The Beast, but more on that later.

Then again Diamondback.
enhance

Following this I meet back up with my travelmates who are just exiting from The Beast (which demonstrates how I was outpacing them). We all hunger, and we’ve already maxed out Kings Island’s non-existent food options, so we leave the park for lunch. With more time in Kings Island than needed (basically done it twice already on this trip), that’s a good way to kill some time.

Up next: Kings Island is done, but we keep doing it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom