Trip Report VISIONS OF STEEL & WOOD - Roller Coaster Road Trip 2018

enhance

VISIONS OF STEEL & WOOD: ROLLER COASTER ROAD TRIP 2018

Two whole weeks of nothing but roller coasters! A dozen amusement parks! Countless multiple dozen thrills! Hundreds of miles! Eight dark rides!

Come join me, - and assorted roller coaster fanatics – on an epic journey from Michigan through Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. On this ridiculous roadtrip, there won’t be a single Disney or Universal theme park in view. Instead our sights are set on the opposite side of the amusement park coin, on the wondrous world of coaster parks!

Yes, it’s thrills over theming! And I couldn’t be happier! Now don’t get me wrong, I love Disney parks (I mean, obviously…I’m active on WDWMagic). But to fully appreciate Disney, I love to explore everything else available too. To see alternate evolutions on ride concepts. Historical parks which preserve what the amusement industry was like well before Walt’s revolution. Pier parks. Trolley parks. Iron parks with steel monstrosities towering hundreds of feet overhead. In this world, Cedar Fair and Six Flags are the top dogs. Parks aren’t resorts, they’re adventures. It’s tiring, it’s extreme, it’s a wholly different sort of vacation from Disney! (For that, see my Hong Kong/Tokyo TR from last year, or await my return from Shanghai in late September).

And what all destinations could we cover in a hectic two weeks?
enhance

Greenfield Village – A “living history” park created by Henry Ford to celebrate 19th century Americana, and an indisputable influence on Walt’s Disneyland.

Henry Ford Museum – The world class museum next door with its exceptional collection of American vehicles, inventions and more.

Cedar Point – Arguably the destination for roller coasters, and one of my three favorite parks in the world alongside Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea. Home to the brand-new Steel Vengeance, already perhaps the world’s best roller coaster!

Kings Island – Cedar Point’s Cincinnati adjunct, a home for many exceptional coasters in a park whose theming and organization recall Disney.

Kentucky Kingdom – A small state fair wedged in between a mall and an airport, one which has become permanent.

Holiday World – A wonderful family-run park in Indiana’s most remote corner, noteworthy for its tremendous hospitality, water park and wooden coasters.

Kennywood – A Pittsburgh trolley park which opened in 1898, and to this day retains its vintage Luna Park style charm with some modern niceties.

Del Grosso’s Amusement Park – Basically a permanent carnival which emerged alongside a pasta sauce factory.

Knoebels – Wedged in the Pennsylvania wilderness is a timewarp where the 1920s never died, lawsuits never occur, and this incredible carnie-run park rejects every lesson ever learned by Disney.

Hershey Park – For some reason the Hershey Company decided to extend their brand with a park on par with Cedar Fair or Six Flags, full of professionalism, cleanliness, and no personality.

Dorney Park – One of Cedar Fair’s neglected regional parks. It has some rides.

Morey’s Piers – A wondrously fun pier park right along the Jersey Shore, like something straight out of Bob’s Burgers!

Philly on the 4th – Celebrating our nation’s birth on its birthday in its birthplace, in a town where the locals are more concerned with Rocky.

Six Flags Great Adventure – The grand finale occurs at the best Six Flags park, the world’s largest amusement park, home to the world’s tallest roller coaster.
enhance

Joining me on this quixotic quest would be a core group of four thrill-seekers, plus other assorted buddies here and there. Among this group, I was undoubtedly the Disney Dork™, the relative coaster novice with only around 100 previously under my belt compared to the 400+ these guys could boast.

Their perspective and insight is something else, and we’ll be meeting them all as my stream-of-consciousness report continues. (To start here’s the beginning of AJ’s very own trip report found elseweb.) For now, let’s simply dive into the thick of things and get this report rolling!

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

Cedar Point: An Introduction
As I’m recklessly driving our group south from Detroit into Ohio to the enchanting shores of Lake Erie, let’s take a moment to meet my travel mates:

AJ is the trip’s organizer and its defacto leader. He is an engineer, and he takes a similarly precise approach to trip planning and roller coaster evaluation. Everything is boiled down to objective criteria. Still a goofy and fun-loving mensch.

Josh is AJ’s younger brother. He’s sort of a nebbishy Woodie Allen type, with a dash of Howard Hughes (e.g. towels on doorknobs). He has a narrow comfort zone, for food, for activities, et cetera. When things get confusing, when plans go awry, he’s out for the count. Has a masters in linguistics.

Kevin runs the website Incrediblecoasters. He’s incredibly gung-ho about coasters, and veeery opinionated about them. Has traveled European parks extensively. A cliff jumper, a sky diver, a Mountain Dew drinker.

Evan, I’m sorry to say, I barely got to know on the trip…though he seemed a perfectly amiable fellow. It’s worth noting that he and Kevin come from a shared Theme Park Review group trip background (as does AJ), with shared past experiences and in-jokes and such. When our group split off at nights in motels, I’d room with AJ while they’d room together. (Josh’s motel comfort zone was 100% privacy.)
enhance

Our heroes: Kevin, Evan, AJ, Josh, unknown teenagers
As these guys are mostly coaster fanatics, they can talk with ease about complex technical coaster concepts. Capacity. Physics. Precise engineering. What sort of parabola creates the best airtime. Some of them are “credit counters,” keeping a running tally of how many coasters they’ve ridden. There are some fans, far loonier than this bunch, who’ll go far out of their way to ride a carnival’s kiddie coaster, all to add to their count.
enhance

Believe it or not, a photo which I actually took (back in 2016)

Everyone in our group (myself included) has been to Cedar Point before, but let me set the stage. You’re driving through the unremarkable town of Sandusky along Lake Erie. Making a left, you drive out onto a narrow causeway leading into the lake, out towards a peninsula. As the trees part, your first clear view of the peninsula reveals a wonderland of colorful steel, unimaginably tall.

This is Cedar Point, roller coaster Mecca.
C_9WT_aVYAEdWqV.jpg

Cedar Point boasts 18 roller coasters, the second most in the world (behind my local Magic Mountain, who have 19). Qualitatively, though, Cedar Point is far superior. They were the first to break the 200’, 300’, and 400’ coaster barriers. They possess many current record holders. Many of their coasters can be considered “best in genre,” or at least Top Five. Overall, they have the most total rides of any park worldwide.

All told, Cedar Point is the Disney World of coaster parks. It alone is a resort destination, with a 4-star on-site hotel, a marina, and more amenities underway for their 150th anniversary in 2020. (Yeah, they’re really old too, with a history from the 19th century as a beach resort destination which I haven’t the time or the knowledge to discuss.)
enhance

As the “Disney” of coaster parks, Cedar Point employs a professionalism you won’t find elsewhere. Their ride ops are without compare. Coasters load as quickly and as safely as possible – and note that strapping in for a 310-foot-tall gigacoaster is a bit more complex than boarding Big Thunder. Loose articles must be placed off-ride. Glasses and phones will fly away – I actually dodged a few of ‘em mid-ride on occasion. You got seat belts, lap bars, over-the-shoulder harnesses, all combined, and then the ops double check to ensure you’re tucked in tight, because these rides are not kidding around.
enhance

Mind you, I’m writing all this assuming a few readers might not be super familiar with coaster parks. You can’t judge ‘em based on Disney criteria. Theming in these parks is often minimal, and sometimes it’s nonexistent altogether. The better parks still put great effort into creating a beautiful and engaging atmosphere, but they do it through kinetics, energy and awe.

Cedar Point is certainly presented on a vast scale which is actually rather difficult to photograph. It is massive, spanning the entire lengthy peninsula. It’s a mile-long walk to the park’s backside. You’re never very far from the sandy shores or Lake Erie’s savage seagull population. But attempting to describe the whole of Cedar Point like this is, er, pointless. Better to dive into our touring strategy and simply let this amazing park unfold…

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

Alright, Let’s Actually do Some Rides!
Altogether we would have two days at Cedar Point – two half days and one full day. This is a genuine two-day park, much like Disneyland or DisneySea. Crowds can get prohibitive here (we got lucky), and there’s so, so much to do (and redo).

enhance
Let’s start at the entrance. Already you’ll notice Gatekeeper rushing directly over the entry gates, perilously threading through its iconic “keyhole” elements. This moment sets the Cedar Point stage as much as the railroad and castle do at Disneyland.

To all who come to this thrilling place, welcome. Cedar Point is your point. Here you remain in the world of today, while also entering a world of insanity.

enhance
Gatekeeper is a wing coaster by B&M. Okay, guess I’d better define some things.

“B&M” is Bolliger & Mabillard, one of the world’s major coaster manufacturing firms. Their main rival company is Intamin. We’ll be seeing a lot of both manufacturers on this trip (plus some other companies).

A “wing coaster” is a coaster where you ride on either the train’s left or right side, like on a bird’s wing, with nothing surrounding you but blue sky and the smallest seat safety laws allow. The track is far to the side. It feels incredibly free, much like flight. Even when flipping around in an inversion, a wing coaster is more graceful than forceful. Some riders find the sensation too tame, but I think it’s an elegant counterpoint to the rides with higher G-forces.

enhance
The thrill aspect – the moment of terror – comes from scenic elements along the ride. The keyholes. The coaster will rush towards a solid tower, only to twist at the last moment and carry you safely through. Gatekeeper has plenty of these fun near-miss moments – with the ground, support beams, the entry gates, passing seagulls.

Gatekeeper’s a fun ride, and worth redoing later (from the train’s other side). For now we continue along the Twisted Midway area right along the beach. This is maybe Cedar Point’s least photogenic section, just concrete and assorted random flat rides. (There are some odd kiddie areas in here too.) There’s a bit of a pier park vibe. Jim calls it Cedar Point’s “attic,” where they place things which don’t fit elsewhere.

enhance
Next up is Wicked Twister, an inverted Impulse coaster by Intamin. What that means is train cars sit under the track, with riders’ legs dangling. It’s a shuttle coaster, not a complete circuit. You launch forward, hurtle up a vertical arm, then tumble backwards. Flying through the station, you launch again backwards, up another vertical arm. Then back forward, then backward, again, again, for a while until it ends.

As the ride goes on, you get higher on the vertical arms, moving along these twisted sections shaped like spiral Fritos. Now…every rider has some weird physical likes and dislikes. Certain standard elements which just destroy them. For Josh, it’s airtime. For me, it’s going backwards. I hate that! I hate standard Boomerang coasters – they sicken me, and they offer an incomplete experience to boot. Wicked Twister is fairly forgiving, as these things go, and it’s simple fun for many, but it’s certainly among my less favorite rides at the Point.

enhance
The group moves on, down the Main Midway under the Sky Ride aerial tram. We pass the grand central Ballroom which is among the park’s oldest structures. Lines in this late afternoon are forgiving, mostly, and the group shares a palpable excitement to do as much as possible!

enhance
Rushing directly over the midway paths is Corkscrew. This is an historic 1976 ride by Arrow Dynamics, a now-defunct manufacturer who made nearly all of the great steel rides of the 20th century. Corkscrew is a noteworthy ride, the first ever to feature a whopping 3 inversions. (Magic Mountain’s Revolution beat it for “first modern looping coaster” by a few months.)

So, Corkscrew is an historic icon. It’s also a relic. Like many aging Arrow Dynamics rides, it’s rough and rattly. The ride experience is short and super basic: lift hill, minor drop, airtime hill, vertical loop, turnaround, corkscrew, corkscrew, end. It’s one to do, then move on. It is a park icon, twisting riders upside down over the midway. (And in one rainstorm, per a story told by Jim, dumping gallons of water onto guests…it’s funny when he tells it.)

enhance
We march right on through the Gemini Midway (the theme: trees, fences, benches) to Magnum XL-200. Its theme? It’s BIG!

By modern standards, 205 feet ain’t much anymore, but when it opened in 1989 Magnum was the world’s tallest, fastest and steepest coaster. The world’s first “hypercoaster,” a term for any over 200 feet.

Like all hypers, Magnum is simplicity itself. You go up, you drop down, you go up another slightly shorter hill, on and on. Within this simple structure is genius. Each hill provides increasingly wild airtime (maybe my favorite element in a coaster), so while the drops get progressively shorter, the ride gets more and more frenetic. The layout is a basic out-and-back, so a pretzel turnaround breaks up the hills halfway through. Occasional tunnels add variety too. The trip carries you quite far, way out beyond the park’s boundaries to the furthest beach and lighthouse (twice over the Cedar Point Shores water park).

The more I ride Magnum, the more I love it. For an older ride, it packs a wallop. As an Arrow Dynamics ride, sadly, it’s also fairly rough and painful now – opinions vary. I rode ahead of my group, since we all wanted back seat rides (best airtime), so I got more bench time post-ride to relax before we pushed onward.

enhance
Gemini is only 2 years younger than Corkscrew, but it’s far less outdated! It’s underrated, in fact. This is a racing wooden coaster. Two parallel tracks go at once. Much of the fun is taunting your rival train, trying to high-five them in the turns, seeing who reaches the end first. This is a ride style which dates back to old Coney Island days, and Gemini is a great 1970s update to the form. It’s noteworthy too as a “false” woodie, thanks to the steel topper track which gives it a smoother ride than pure woodies of the same vintage. It’s a family friendly ride – “family friendly” by Cedar Fair standards; overall it’s on a par with California Screamin’ intensity-wise.

So Gemini isn’t the ride which’ll destroy you…unless you overdid it on suspicious meatloaf for lunch! All the twisting and screwing of Wicked Twister and Corkscrew left me somewhat nauseous and, well, as Gemini pulled into its brake run, I went ahead and I vomited. Back seat in a stilled train, so no major catastrophe. Hit some rocks in the helix below. It’s the dizziest I got on the trip. We hit Cedar Point really hard right away and I was underprepared. As the trip progressed, my stomach grew steelier.

enhance
Even now I was undeterred. Back down the Gemini Midway, you pass the titanic Top Thrill Dragster. This thing is a beast! It’s 420’ high, the world’s second tallest coaster (world’s tallest coming up in two weeks!), tallest and fastest when it opened, the world’s first “stratacoaster.” Dragster’s massive vertical structure absolutely dominates the entire park. So do the trains rocketing straight down their track at 120 mph. This thing taunts you, daring your bravery. And at present its line is surprisingly short, a rarity for the Dragster, so in we go.

Now, Dragster, let’s go through it. It has a drag race theme, and for such a ginormous monstrosity Cedar Fair did a good job with it. You got countdown lights, hot rod themed trains, actual grandstands so non-riders can watch, even neat checkerboard décor.

As a ride, Dragster is the simplest yet. You pull out to the “starting line,” and you launch at a ludicrous 120 mph straight forward! Then the track rushes straight up, a perfect 90 degrees, up to a curved hill 420’ up. You crest, then plummet straight down 90 degrees (with a random and pointless twist along the way, reportedly to distribute forces on the track). You return to the ground. The ride ends. Thirty seconds max from start to finish.

enhance
I do wish there were more after the big drop, but the thing cost $25 million as it is.

It’s a gimmick ride, but what a gimmick! Those brief forces are shockingly intense. The buildup from the queue to the launch is incredibly suspenseful. It’s a technical marvel, too, using launch technology similar to aircraft carriers aided by a powerful array of computers which calculate for every single train based on weight, wind, and other factors. (On increasingly rare occasions the ride will “roll back,” plummeting riders backwards if they cannot clear the main hill. Everyone wishes to experience this fleeting treat; few ever do.)

Oh boy! That’s 5 coasters down, and a great many more to come! How about a dinner break? (Be back tomorrow.)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The Gemini appeals to me, as I like the older coasters. There's an old woodie coaster (about an hour away from me) in New England (Canobie Lake Park, in NH). It's called the Yankee Cannonball, and it's been a fixture there since the 1930s. That thing rattles and shakes when you ride it--so much fun!

(Stock photos below, via Bing; top from Newburyport News and bottom photo from SFNE Online) --

tumblr_n63okx85Sn1tchvdlo1_1280.jpg

yankeecannonballhistory-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

Riding the Night Away at Cedar Point
After speeding through Top Thrill Dragster, our group – despite being gung-ho with adrenaline for more coasters coasters COASTERS – decided it wise to have a dinner this evening. Now, in the 2 years since I was last here, Cedar Point has upped its food game considerably. They are on – ahem! – point. In fact, tomorrow is when we have plans for the Point’s many great new food offerings, so tonight’s a blank slate. Eager to get some sit-down time (and looking to postpone theme park pizza for at least one more meal), I propose we exit the park’s Marina Gate and dine outside at Famous Dave’s along the waterfront.

This is a pretty typical burger joint like Cheesecake Factory or some such. Pricier-yet-affordable American, with a bit of a BBQ focus. All are satisfied but Josh, who’s so picky I doubt he even does ketchup on his burgers. I get a tri-tip sandwich slathered in many purportedly-spicy sauces, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Wasn’t spicy enough though. Sorry there are no photos.

enhance
Then we return to Cedar Point for more ridetime. A bit too soon following BBQ & beer, if you ask me, but you didn’t. So we continue on towards Raptor, the Point’s entry in the B&M inverted coaster competition. You likely know the type – trains run underneath the track, and you ride with legs dangling. These rides tend to be really inversion-heavy and rather dizzifying. Among the major coaster types, my feelings on these are mixed. Raptor particularly, I’m sorry to say. It is incredibly forceful, covering a very tight space, and putting extended G-forces on riders while you twist through a cobra roll or corkscrew or similar physical violation.

Altogether a good ride – it has its dedicated defenders – except for that ending. Ugh, I hate the final brakes! You stop SO suddenly, and even when anticipating it the stop remains painful. That moment is enough to put me back on the treacherous slopes towards vomitsville, so in my wisdom I opt to skip Valravn which the group does next.

enhance

Valravn circa 2016 and in the morning

I have the decent excuse that I’m the only one among us who’s already ridden it. Made it out in 2016 for this B&M dive coaster’s premiere, and even did an awesome backstage tour of the ride with Jim, seeing the engine room, the technical completixities of a major coaster’s operation. Wwe even got to wander the highest point on foot (latched via harnesses, naturally). The pics I got from atop Valravn can never be surpassed; perfect Cedar Point panoramas (plus Jim)!

enhance
But this 2018 evening while the rest rode, I focused on photographing them on-ride. This meant a bit of rushing about, chasing their train as it hurtled this way and that. Not that it amounted to much; in the dusk light you can’t see the riders anyway. And – ka-ping! – I had to dodge some rider’s quarter as it flew from their pocket as the train zoomed past! Yipe!

enhance
Now…Valravn. It’s the world’s tallest dive coaster. The big 214’ drop, they dangle you over it facing straight down. Sitting motionless for a few neverending seconds. Then the train freefalls at a pure 90 degrees! And…a bunch of typical looping coaster stuff follows. Valravn is the tallest and longest (et cetera-est) of its genre, but those with experience in the form say it isn’t really distinguished from the other dive coasters in any meaningful way. It seems the format is fairly one-note. Still a fun middle-tier ride! (Middle-tier by Cedar Point standards; a "best of park" most anyplace else.)

0ce85bdd3b0afd22127d41d08553b15f.jpg

I am ashamed to say I've never personally photographed Blue Streak.

Following, we all head for Blue Streak, the oldest surviving coaster at the Point, dating back to 1964. It’s a classic pier park style wooden coaster, more beloved now for its vintage charm than for any amazing height or speed or ride quality. And that charm, I love it! I love how it’s named for the local high school football team, rather than for something ludicrous like a mythical Scandinavian bird (Valravn) or Louisiana werewolf (Rougarou) or condom (Magnum XL-200).

As a ride, Blue Streak is fairly typical. Up and down, out and back. Straight down the Main Midway. As an older woodie, it’s a little rough. It rattles as it races. Some people dislike this sensation. I adore it! As I’ll increasingly learn during the trip (which is jam-packed with amazing woodies), no woodie can possibly be too rough. (Heck, I even liked Knott’s Ghostrider pre-refurbishment. I even liked – gasp! – Mean Streak.)

enhance
Oh, and speaking of that Louisiana werewolf known as Rougarou, we rush to that next. And I’m out for the count – no more rides for me tonight. You gotta know when to fold ‘em, and trust me I’ll be getting far heartier ride-wise as we go along.

Besides, I don’t much care for Rougarou. It’s a floorless B&M coaster – basically your standard sit down ride only without a train car, so the tracks rush mere inches below your feet. As a ride genre, the floorlesses are usually just OK. They’re a gimmick, arguably, and an excuse to toss in a bunch of inversions and call it a day in typical B&M style. Rougarou suffers a bit because it’s a conversion from a now-defunct standing coaster called Mantis. The track remains the same, following curves designed for a different riding position, so Rouga-riders are always slightly off kilter in many transitions. Plus, the shoulder harnesses mean much headbanging. I’ll be doing this one tomorrow, though.

enhance
Following, one final ride for the group – the mighty Millennium Force. Sadly, I sat it out too. Won’t go into details on Millennium Force just yet. It demands a bit more care. We’ll be getting plenty more rides on it to come!

So, we arrived at Cedar Point after 4, and by 10 (closing time) the group’s done 10 coasters plus a lengthy dinner. Not bad at all, especially with Cedar Point’s crowds.

But now it’s time for a rest. Time for our hotel. There are many in the surrounding Sandusky area, including the very swanky Hotel Breakers just beyond the park gates. However, most of these are very overpriced, and well beyond our group’s overall pricepoint. What’s cheap enough? Well, we had to drive a good 20 minutes to the town’s dilapidated outskirts to reach our dwelling, the least-frills place of the trip. I can’t even recall its name. There was a preserved 1940s roadside motel exhibit at the Henry Ford Museum, and this felt like the same thing still in operation, and without a single refurbishment since WWII. But no matter, we’re running roughshod through the parks and only need hotels for unconsciousness. This’ll do fine!

Next up: One whole day at Cedar Point, plus the jaw-dropping Steel Vengeance!

D Hulk

Original Poster
The Gemini appeals to me, as I like the older coasters. There's an old woodie coaster (about an hour away from me) in New England (Canobie Lake Park, in NH). It's called the Yankee Cannonball, and it's been a fixture there since the 1930s. That thing rattles and shakes when you ride it--so much fun!

(Stock photos below, via Bing; top from Newburyport News and bottom photo from SFNE Online) --

tumblr_n63okx85Sn1tchvdlo1_1280.jpg

yankeecannonballhistory-1024x768.jpg
Gemini is a ton of fun! Yankee Cannoball looks really great too!

If you like awesome old wooden coasters, there are quite of lot of them coming up.

Nala06

Looking forward to this! My parents have a family pass to The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village. And we went to Cedar Point every year growing up! We did a roller coaster trip too about 10 years ago, hitting up Hershey, Kings Island, Six Flags of Maryland? and Williamsburg.

I am anxiously awaiting your review of Steel Vengence. I cannot wait to get down there and ride it! I wonder if it will replace my favorite coaster of all time (Millenium Force).

D Hulk

Original Poster
Looking forward to this! My parents have a family pass to The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village. And we went to Cedar Point every year growing up! We did a roller coaster trip too about 10 years ago, hitting up Hershey, Kings Island, Six Flags of Maryland? and Williamsburg.

I am anxiously awaiting your review of Steel Vengence. I cannot wait to get down there and ride it! I wonder if it will replace my favorite coaster of all time (Millenium Force).
Glowing Steel Vengeance review coming right up! Fair warning, Maverick had previously been my all time fave, but all 3 remain Top 10 undoubtedly.
Great write up so far. I'm a huge traditional amusement park fan. CP and Kennywood are 2 of my favorite parks ever. I'm also an aging coaster fan. We do rival Disney fans in the particulars we discuss. Looking forward to the rest.
Those are both great parks. Have you ever been to Knoebels? It sounds like it'd fit your tastes nicely.
Fantastic so far~! I am dying to get to Cedar Point, so this is a really great review of the place!
Glad to do the review! :D

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

DAY 4 – Cedar Point Extra Ride Time = Steel Vengeance!
With a group of 5, we did 3 rooms at every hotel. Kevin and Evan roomed together. I roomed with AJ. Josh the hypochondriac slept alone.

AJ and I made for decent roommates, despite a bit of an Oscar & Felix thing going on. AJ the engineer would unpack his luggage onto the desk in neatly-organized categories, everything sealed tight and dated in a ziplock bag. I simply strew my stuff artlessly around my own bed, then sleep amongst it. Housekeeping only bothered to make one of our beds the following day, and it wasn’t mine. Wound up sleeping atop a bare mattress afterwards.

Anyway…Today is a HUGE day at Cedar Point. We’re all Platinum Pass passholders, able to: park for free, enter any Cedar Fair park, get discounts, and enjoy daily Extra Ride Time an hour before the hoi polloi can enter.
enhance

This is crucial if we’re to do the all-new Steel Vengeance with reasonable timing. Its queue last night hovered around 3 hours; it’ll do worse today. And with good reason; the thing is already considered the world’s best roller coaster, and it’s running at a reduced capacity with only 1 or 2 trains at a time.

We head out early to the park’s far entrance gate (it has several overall), the nearest to Steel Vengeance. Here we meet back up with Jim. Joining us today as well will be the Eliot family, Jeff and his wife and two sons whose names I totally forget. Uh-oh! Jeff I’ve only known before from online Armchair Imagineering. Today we’re meeting for the first time in person, where we can better understand our equally unusual senses of humor. Jeff just drove out from Colorado. (No pics of the Eliots, sadly. Sorry!)

Everyone has the same plan for the day: We’re buying FastLane Plus to skip the lines, to do a TON. For Jeff and Yvonne – hey, I just remembered his wife’s name! – this is especially important because they’ll be splitting boy-sitting duties and switching at lunch.
enhance

So while Jeff goes with his lads to the Camp Snoopy kiddie area (each amusement park has a kiddie area, and they never have anything of interest to a childless adult), Yvonee is joining our group – and roughly 1,596 other people – in the great early morning Steel Vengeance stampede. Josh and I both exit the stampede briefly for the restroom – he because he has an egg-sized bladder, and me because of all the water and coffee and soda I’ve pounded away. Then we rejoin the Tokyo DisneySea-esque stampeding herds, and dash off to Steel Vengeance.

Eons ago, Cedar Point’s Frontiertown was home to Mean Streak, a very tall and very long wooden coaster which was never very good. Many considered its extended ridetime somewhat boring. Worse still, as it aged it got more and more unpleasant (like many of my old schoolmates). Deemed nearly unrideable, the park’s worst coaster, a few options were considered. Destroy it, refurbish it, or…

Call Rocky Mountain Construction!
enhance

Enter RMC, the hot new company in coaster manufacturing. They’re famous for their steel I-box conversions of funky old wooden coasters, making them stronger, faster and better than ever before. These new wood-steel hybrids include New Texas Giant, Twisted Colossus, Twisted Timbers, and the crowning jewel which is Steel Vengeance…the world’s tallest hybrid (200’) with the steepest drop (90 degrees) and the most airtime of any coaster in the world (totaling 30+ seconds out of your seat!). And it’s over 3 minutes in length! The thing is absolutely out-of-control bonkers insane, as you can see from a ride video:

Unfortunately, “RMC” also stands for “Requires Maintennance Constantly,” and Steel Vengeance is running reduced trains and breaking down constantly. Nothing scary. Just triggering sensors, all while engineers try to get the train sequencing perfect to eventually maximize capacity.
enhance

Testing out empty trains across the - get this - pre-lift hill airtime hills!

Because of all this, we were mere steps from the loading station when, yup, it broke. Some guests fled. We persisted, waiting perhaps an additional 30 minutes (nothing else in the park is open yet anyway). I’d say it was worth waiting, damn worth it! Only Josh was suffering, crouched weeping in a corner dreading the vengeful, forceful ride to come.
enhance

Well he should worry. Steel Vengeance is relentlessly paced, with each dip up or down or sideways or randomly-upside-down-inside-the-wood-structure lasting for a mere second each. Josh detests airtime, it’s his least favorite coaster element, and we’re about to ride the world record holder in that category!

I LOVED it! Went hoarse the instant we unloaded from hollering “YES! YES!” throughout. My arms were super sore from being raised up, and trust me there is NO better coaster for riding with your arms up. (Before this week that wasn’t even optional; RMC doesn’t like installing handholds.) Steel Vengeance is beyond relentless. Even the brake run barely qualifies as a breather, and there are no moments of reflection in between elements. The flimsy wood structure bends like a blade of grass when the train roars past.
enhance

You have that initial pure vertical drop, which viciously hurtles you forwards against your paltry restraint. Gigantic turns bank way too far inwards or outwards, and sometimes one right after the other. Former straightaways are replaced with innumerable airtime hills. Double downs! Double ups! Flinging head-over-heels while rampaging entirely within the titanic wood edifice. Twists so violent, AJ accidentally smacked Kevin! And that’s only the first half!

Thanks to FastLane Plus I’ll definitely be riding that again!

Up next: Conquering coasters left and right!

And plenty more pics of Steel Vengeance as I later return again and again to reride! :p

Last edited:

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

Maverick, Millennium, Melt
Josh aside, our whole group concurred that Steel Vengeance was the new best ride in Cedar Point. (Best in the world? That’s more debatable, but it’s a real possibility.) To test our theory, we all darted over to the nearby former park champion, Maverick. Would it still hold up?

Two years ago, I declared Maverick my favorite of all roller coasters anyplace. It’s dropped only slightly now. Maverick remains an exceptional world-class ride…though its stats suggest nothing special. Unusually for Cedar Point, is wasn’t really a world record breaker upon opening.
enhance

Maverick is an Intamin Blitz coaster with a rather decent Old West theme. Actually, it and Steel Vengeance now share a Frontiertown backstory, a sort of Spaghetti Western tale of lawlessness and revenge. It doesn’t happen on the rides, but in the queues they have character bios and props. It’s an added nicety which shows that Cedar Point cares. There’s some great Maverick theming onride too, as trains slalom between rocky canyons and over rapids at too-fast speeds, all the while massive gunshots ring in the waters out from hidden bushwacking gunslingers, while mine shafts full of TNT rocket us over the buttes and mesas and…
enhance

Okay, I get imaginative and I sometimes read too much into mostly-naked coaster track. But a good coaster with personality can suggest so much. And that’s Maverick! You head from the station up a lift hill…technically, you’re launched up the hill, up a mere 100 feet, but Maverick’s true recklessness doesn’t show until its ludicrous beyond-vertical 95 degree drop! Then it’s S-turns, airtime moments, inversions…to say anything more about this ride’s excellent layout would ruin it. Suffice it to say that Maverick is – Steel Vengeance aside – a supremely lengthy and hyperactive ride that truly demands experiencing in person. It never lets up.

From there we trek across the Frontier Trail area. All these western settings are the park’s best-themed areas, featuring relocated historical structures and streetmosphere and ambiance. By Disney standards it’s nothing special. Many regional parks do better theming. But it is there, and it’s recently improved too thanks to Cedar Fair head honcho Matt Ouimet, formerly the president of Disneyland. Yup.
enhance

Jim pauses in Frontier Trail, as is his wont, to deliver to the group brief historical lessons on the sights and smells. Each critter in the petting zoo has a backstory, as Jim tells it. It’s always a joy having a local guide like him!
enhance

But there’s little time to pause, since we’re going on Intamin’s Millennium Force! To me the park’s 3rd best ride, though coaster enthusiast polls have regularly placed it as the best worldwide ever since its millennial year 2000 premiere.

This is one famous coaster. It was the first gigacoaster, surpassing 300’. Upon opening, it was the world’s tallest, fastest, longest. The more I ride it, the more I love it. Like Magnum, it’s a simple ride – no twists or loops, just pure height and speed.
enhance

A cable lift hill (a revolutionary idea) elevates trains directly out of the station super-fast. We’re riding parallel to the lake shore. There are astounding views to be enjoyed of Lake Erie and Sandusky, and you can easily tell the first-timers from the veterans based on who’s admiring the panoramas and who’s cowering in abject mortal pants-wetting terror.

Then the drop! Merely 80 degrees, but curved like an airtime hill so that you truly feel that massive tumble. Another hill and an over-banked turn follow…more hills, reckless speeding through tunnels, banked turns. Coaster experts (which I am not) can explain why some curves here are superior to others. Disney-trained rider that I am, I’m stupidly focused on the ride’s storytelling. You can see freakin’ dinosaurs from on board (MF invades the park’s central island where Dinosaurs Alive once lived), suggesting a time travel storyline because we’re rocketing so ludicrously inhumanly fast.
enhance

Millennium Force is a great ride! It’s both tall and speedy, and it does a really good job of taking full advantage of those that. It’s an immensely comfortable ride, and I’d say a really good gateway ride for folks who’re still warming up to the bigger coasters.

From there, we return to the Main Midway area where we spent so much time yesterday. Again we do a dive on Valravn, and this time I join my compatriots. The FastLane is clearly helping as the crowds are thickening.

Following that, it’s Gatekeeper. I give it a pass, for now. My touring pace is just slightly off-kilter from the others’, so at the moment I’m relaxing.

I was jonesing lunch, really, which we do next. We stopped at Melt, a new table service eatery which served – no joke – the best in-park food of the entire trip. Jeff and his boys join us, and he does the parental prisoner exchange with Yvonne. For my lunch, I have a pint of beer. Accompanying it is a Monte Cristo sandwich, and I hope I’m not being blasphemous if I say it’s streets ahead of the same dish served at Disneyland. Better price too. Lighter, fluffier, perfectly mixed sweet and savory and really generous powdered sugar. And I couldn’t even finish it!
enhance

Up next: Back to rides.

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

RMCs, BBQs & CP&LE RR
As lunch is wrapping up, I’m feeling antsy. I overhear what AJ & Co.’s plans are, and realize that we’re now off-synch. Different interests. So while they briefly rest for a spell, I rush off on my own to get that Gatekeeper ride I’d previously missed.

From there I remain solo a bit longer, following my own random desires. Next I ride Raptor.
enhance

Then the Cedar Downs Racing Derby, which Jim assures me isn’t technically a carousel, but, um, it’s a carousel. The most damn badass carousel in the world (Knoebels excluded), with a horse racing theme, a shockingly fast rotation speed, and horses which actually jockey each other for position. I’m not sure how this ride is still legal. It is excellent, a truly great flat ride, totally worth doing while at Cedar Point.

Near it are the Antique Cars, which I always enjoy. Every amusement park, seemingly, has one or more “Tin Lizzy” ride like this, a sort of Autopia slow driving journey in vintage Model Ts. I prefer these to Autopia, actually. The turn-of-the-century styling is quite pleasant, and the inevitable diesel fumes are more excusable when you’re not pretending it’s a utopian future.
enhance

I continue along my wild solo adventure. Next I pick up Rougarou, making up for last night. That’s a one-and-done! Later I’ll learn that my group is somewhat following in my footsteps, unawares, but somehow without nearly the same efficiency.

Next I take the Cedar Point & Lake Erie Railroad from the Millennium Midway back into Frontiertown. This transportation railroad – another common sight at several parks, including Disney – has two stations, which makes the long schlep to the park’s backside less onerous.

While riding past Maverick, mesmerized by its speeding trains, I realize that I am exhausted. Haven’t slept much on this trip, actually. Lousy time zones! And though it seems kind of lame, back in Frontiertown flanked by two of the world’s best coasters, I plop myself down on a bench and I just…fall asleep…

For half an hour.
enhance

Altogether, this reenergized me for the day’s remainder. I’m better off now than if I hadn’t napped in a public plaza. And despite the pause I’m still ahead of the group’s pace.

For a quick wake-me-up, it’s another jaunt on Maverick. Better than espresso! Fully recovered, I head for the Steel Vengeance FastLane queue. This is perpetually at 45 minutes, but compared to the 4 hours for standby that’s nothing. And I figure that rerides on the park’s newest masterpiece is my best use of FastLane.
enhance

Steel Vengeance remains as forceful and incredible as before – better even, since it’s warmed up since the morning and is running even wilder. This crazy ride is already known for stealing – and breaking – people’s phones, glasses, wallets, what-have-you. I’m wearing a jacket with zippered pockets to avoid this. Instead, Steel Vengeance tries stealing my entire shirt! In my on-ride photo I’m doing an inadvertent Flash Mountain. Next time I rode Steel Vengeance (oh yeah, I did it a bunch), it twisted my jacket inside out and the pocket flap repeatedly punched me in the face on every airtime hill. “Wheee – Ow! Wheee – Ow!

Oh, right! One thing I haven’t mentioned yet. Cedar Point now does food festivals! It’s their First Annual Brew & BBQ, with the whole of Frontiertown dedicated to stands serving regional BBQ styles. And beers. Over 100 local beers on tap. This festival was always the evening’s plan, with a-la carte noshing for the day’s remainder in place of a proper meal.
enhance

I buy my wristband. Silly me, looking to reduce pocket clutter, I don’t have my ID. This means I cannot drink, despite the comically undersized souvenir pint glass! NOOO! So sipping Cokes like a one-year-old, and feasting upon Kansas-style ribs, I rejoin my buddies as they too are supping in opulent Old West splendor. From them I sneak the occasional sip of frosty, soothing beer – mmm, beer! – and I even convince Jim to get me a whole pint. Jim is the best! Yeesh, I’m coming across like a college freshman right now!
enhance

After getting partway through the food fest’s lineup, we all take another break by reriding Steel Vengeance. Following that, more feasting. Performers put on a scheduled “hootenanny.” The day’s remainder is pretty much spent in Frontiertown, just doing Maverick, Steel Vengeance and BBQ, with a few side quests for variety.
enhance

Among those side missions: Cedar Creek Mine Ride. It’s the park’s standard archaic mine ride coaster, one which pre-dates Big Thunder and can’t even match Disney for thrills. Jim tells tale of bringing his son Anton on the Mine Ride for the first time, only for the child to scream “DAD I’M BORED” endlessly throughout. Yeah, it isn’t very exciting. Nice setting, though, right alongside the peninsula’s central swampy canal with tree-lined views of Top Thrill Dragster. Also, before the lift hill you ride straight through the maintenance shed. Purportedly it’s a no-budget attempt at added theming. It makes me laugh, and it became a brief running gag between Jeff and myself.
enhance

Something else you cannot miss in Frontiertown is the Cedar Point Museum. The park will be 150-years-old in two years, and they have relics spanning that entire storied history. Old penny arcade machines. A vintage fire engine. Branded glassware. The museum is a great respite from the heat and crowds.
enhance

And it has a scale model of Steel Vengeance! Cedar Point definitely knows they have a winner on their hands here, and they are going all-out with the celebrations.

One more thing to do: The second leg on the CP&LE Railroad. And I’ve kept Cedar Point’s best kept secret from you…until now. Bonesville!
enhance

Out in the swamps live skeletons. They continue in death as they did in life, living a series of comical Old West vignettes. Firefighting, bootlegging, shootouts, one night stands, these skeletons do it all! And you can watch ‘em from the steam train! Many decry it as “cheesy,” or “so tacky and dumb,” but I simply adore Bonesville.

It’s evidently the product of drunken 1960s college students with access to the toolshed, but it has genuine charm. I can easily ignore the creaky sub-animatronic movement because I’m too busy giggling and clapping. Really. Most amusement parks don’t attempt full-on theming because they haven’t the budget for Disney-level décor. BS! Bonesville is heartfelt and genuine, and regional parks need more things like it, even if it’s an outdated, chintzy, no-budget lark!
enhance

Afterwards, one final night ride on Steel Vengeance.

All hail Steel Vengeance.

Then we bid farewell to Jeff and his family (they’re driving straight back to Denver) and return to our seedy highway motel with the unmade bed. An exhausting day? Sure, but there’ll be like 10 more similar days to come. And such a satisfying fay!

Up next: Back to Cedar Point! There’s never enough!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Steel Vengeance remains as forceful and incredible as before – better even, since it’s warmed up since the morning and is running even wilder. This crazy ride is already known for stealing – and breaking – people’s phones, glasses, wallets, what-have-you. I’m wearing a jacket with zippered pockets to avoid this. Instead, Steel Vengeance tries stealing my entire shirt! In my on-ride photo I’m doing an inadvertent Flash Mountain. Next time I rode Steel Vengeance (oh yeah, I did it a bunch), it twisted my jacket inside out and the pocket flap repeatedly punched me in the face on every airtime hill. “Wheee – Ow! Wheee – Ow!

"Flash Mountain" . . . :hilarious: I almost spit out my coffee reading your comments above. Steel Vengeance sounds like it really packs quite a punch. Yikes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom