Virgin Megastore

the-reason14

Wow, I better use that $10 gift card I have from them and quick since they claim I cant use it online. I hope it doesnt go, if they did open a Best Buy that would be horrible, but I hope they just let it alone.

Ringo8n24

After waiting for a table for over an hour at ESPN Zone at the Boardwalk, I would love to see something like that go in the Virgin spot. It was a huge weekend for rival college football games and people were waiting everywhere. To have the space for multiple games to be showing and having plenty of seating for each would be awesome.

Or they could put a Disney themed bowling alley there.:lookaroun

jt04

Oh I hope this is true. I mean aren't "record stores" a bit obsolete in the age of downloads.

I agree with one poster, if a standard dept store goes in it would be ridiculous.

A portion of the first floor could be Apple with the rest an ESPNZone. ESPNZone is the only logical choice and would really bring huge crowds to DTD. For those of you against the idea I suggest you check out what they are at their website.

Tom Morrow

I will be kinda sad to see it go. Record stores are kind of obsolete, but in the rare chance that I actually do want to purchase an actual album, they have EVERYTHING.

Same with movies... they have such a huge selection full of stuff that is hard to find in stores like Best Buy.

uklad79

Original Poster
That's really a very big piece of real estate to leave empty. ESPN Zone sounds like a logical choice, but I imagine even that would be a stretch to fill that amount of space. I hope they have something in line to fill it though if this is true.

I was wondering though if there has been any confirmation that the DTD store is closing in January? Given the way Virgin megastores have been closing, I imagine it is only a matter of time until DTD's is closed as well, but according to this article dated December 17, 2008 regarding the closure of a store in CA, Virgin plans to close only 4 stores at the end of January including those in Anaheim, Dallas, Tempe and Ontario, California. The article states that it will leave 6 stores still open (at least as stated in the article). Looking at Virgin's website of remaining stores, that would leave behind Hollywood, San Francisco, Times Square and Union Sqaure in New York, Denver and Orlando's, at least in the forseeable future.

http://billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3iaeef9cc73853f3d00da2561413efe3e0?imw=Y Times Sq & Union Sq closing too

Slipknot

If Best Buy ever opens on Disney property, I will officially never return.

Then you have nothing to worry about, seeing as how there are at least 3 Best Buys within a 15 mile radius of WDW (Osceola Parkway, Orange Blossom Trail, Colonial Drive).

Duckberg

DTD in TROUBLE

My Bet.. another empty building.
To go along with the rest of DTD/PI is turning into.

Bring back the clubs, bring back the stages, bring back the live ent, re-gate the island, market it again...

Oh well.

WDW better act on this in 2009, Economy be darned!
The problems @ PI can really tarnish the brand image!

Duckberg :brick:

(sighs) This news is a big disappointment for me. The Virgin Megastore was always a never-miss. Great...yet another empty (and gigantic) space.

mrbillonooo

answer

It has long been told that the ESPN Zone will be in the Downtown Disney area...some places looked at were Disney Quest, next to the now closed Coumdy Club or else where in PI...but with V. Records closing it would make sense to go there...
Even though Disney owns ESPN they have to pay a huge fee for the naming rights at the ESPN club at the Boardwalk...
the thought is for ESPN to build their own place in DTD and rename the ESPN club at the Boardwalk a Disney brand sports club, the club would not close it is to much of a money maker!!
mr bill

Scooter

It could be turned into:

1) West End Super McDonalds
2) Super Disney Vacation Club Display Kiosk
3) Disney's WLPS (Worlds largest Pin Station)

agdbeanie

My first thought was also an Apple Store...one the same size and caliber as the Chicago Apple Store. But, that would still be a huge space for something like that. I think the space will have to be divided or made into an ESPN Zone.
Besides, isn't there already an Apple Store in Orlando?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom