Virgin Megastore

Captain Hank

If/when Virgin closes at DTD, I hope that a bookseller takes it over. There are no good bookstores anywhere near WDW property. The closest I've found (besides Virgin itself, which only has a modest selection) is one on south 27 near the I-4 junction and a couple over by the Florida Mall, which is a good distance away.

(I also hope that Virgin has a good closing sale if/when it happens--a good chance to fill out my music collection)

While not particularly a sports person, I wouldn't mind seeing an ESPN Zone show up in DTD.

Snoballego

I think it would be profitable if Disney put 1,500 - 2,000 Slot Machines inside (with the state's approal).

Imagineers would do a good job of designing a Slot Parlor.

Uponastar

If/when Virgin closes at DTD, I hope that a bookseller takes it over. There are no good bookstores anywhere near WDW property. The closest I've found (besides Virgin itself, which only has a modest selection) is one on south 27 near the I-4 junction and a couple over by the Florida Mall, which is a good distance away.

(I also hope that Virgin has a good closing sale if/when it happens--a good chance to fill out my music collection)

While not particularly a sports person, I wouldn't mind seeing an ESPN Zone show up in DTD.

I loved it when Virgin, before it went sterile, had comfy couches for resting and reading. It was a nice respite to spend some time, away from the hustle and bustle of the parks, enjoying a book. Barnes & Noble has that same relaxing atmosphere. It would be nice to see something similar in that space.

Biff215

While I understand that sports are not for everyone, I don't think you can say that WDW has too much with that theme. An ESPN Zone would almost certainly lead to a rebranding of the Boardwalk's ESPN Club, mostly to avoid confusion as they are very different. The All Star Cafe shouldn't even be brought into this discussion, as most don't know it's there unless you have a reason to be at WWoS. Other than that, there are few places that have the sports bar feel. An ESPN Zone at DtD would draw not only tourists but huge amounts of locals as well.

The ESPN Zones I have visited in Baltimore and Anaheim seem like a perfect fit for the West Side. Those locations were extremely busy when I was there, and I would think they have continued to thrive. I'm not sure how many other viable options there would be for that size space without dividing it up, which would only leave more empty retail space after PI's demise.

I think Disney better act fast if Virgin closes as it will give guests little reason to leave the Marketplace with two ghost towns next door!

PaisleyMF

So of all locations, Orlando is next? You even said there are stores near by. IFOAppleStore has information (though somewhat old, but the rumors of an Apple Store go back farther than March of this year) on all proposed and planned Apple Stores. None mention anything new in the Orlando area. Apple Store in DTD is a fanboy wet dream at best.

I have seen that site, And at some point around February they listed DTD.

Plus why not a "Flagship" store. The biggest in the world. After all World of Disney is also the Biggest... (for now). Maybe is a fantasy but hey it could be.

ESPN Zone can go inside Pleasure Island, And take advantage of some of the things already there!

jt04

I have seen that site, And at some point around February they listed DTD.

Plus why not a "Flagship" store. The biggest in the world. After all World of Disney is also the Biggest... (for now). Maybe is a fantasy but hey it could be.

ESPN Zone can go inside Pleasure Island, And take advantage of some of the things already there!

Now that is spooky. I was just thinking the same thing. They could join the old nightclub and 8 trax and Comedy Warehouse into one facility to house ESPNZone. The old comedy warehouse could hold an ESPNZone "screening room".

Ringo8n24

When I am on vacation, the last thing I want to go look at is Ipods or laptops. An Apple store seems like it would have limited appeal for taking up such a large space. ESPN Zone is such a perfect fit. Food and drinks appeal to more than electronics when vacationing.

jt04

When I am on vacation, the last thing I want to go look at is Ipods or laptops. An Apple store seems like it would have limited appeal for taking up such a large space. ESPN Zone is such a perfect fit. Food and drinks appeal to more than electronics when vacationing.

I am sure one of the goals for DTD is to try to have something for everyone so I'm sure an Apple store is probable for that reason although I agree the VR store is wayyy to big a facility for just Apple.

Mr.EPCOT

Is that it's proper name currently or was it in the past? Educate me please!

Yeah, it even says VILLAGE LAKE on the Downtown Disney guidemap.

I think the best, closest bookstore is actually Books-A-Million at The Loop. It's a reasonable drive down the Osceola Parkway to John Young Parkway.

Back in the early to mid 80's there was an indoor game called "Laser-Tag", there was one in Kenilworth (New Jersey). It was just like paintball today, except there were no welts and bruises when you were done. The place used the technology of the day and was played in an indoor "stadium" that had objects to go around and over, rooms to move through and an opposing "flag" to shoot.
I'm sure with todays technology they could do something like this again.

lightboy

Despite what Disney may say, DTD is NOT doing well. At all. Poor economies do leave it a ghost town most of the week. There's really nothing big or exciting to draw people there.

There used to...but that's not there anymore. And don't worry, I won't get into it. Except for saying that Harley and the shops on the Island are NOT doing well right now. They aren't getting near the foot-traffic they used to. And the clientele is definitely gone. The surf shop and Harley would be a much better match for the much larger, more profitable City Walk.

And another poster already said it...what do people do when the economy is down? Drink. Except that will only be happening at your hotel's poolside bar. Until 6pm. They could be rolling in the dough if they did something with the now defunct P.I. Problem is, many prospects that wanted to lease space have since RUN AWAY.

Don't want to mention the "U-word"...but their area is actually maintaining its profitability. They also have a large stage show, movie theater, many shops, many restaurants, many clubs. And they constantly pump special events through. Their restaurants and clubs bring in crowds SEVEN nights a week most of the time. But they have put a LOT of money into it. Disney refused to do that with the West End.

But go figure...their leadership is some of the same that opened Pleasure Island.

Farewell Virgin, you'll be missed.

PaisleyMF

Now something that has been bugging me, I can't find a single report that Virgin is closing. The only thing i have seen is that they are helping the company that use to be VMS in the UK, and that some stores in the US are closing...

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Now something that has been bugging me, I can't find a single report that Virgin is closing. The only thing i have seen is that they are helping the company that use to be VMS in the UK, and that some stores in the US are closing...
That's because other than the unsubstantiated statement in the OP, it isn't said anywhere. :lol:

jt04

Despite what Disney may say, DTD is NOT doing well. At all. Poor economies do leave it a ghost town most of the week. There's really nothing big or exciting to draw people there.

There used to...but that's not there anymore. And don't worry, I won't get into it. Except for saying that Harley and the shops on the Island are NOT doing well right now. They aren't getting near the foot-traffic they used to. And the clientele is definitely gone. The surf shop and Harley would be a much better match for the much larger, more profitable City Walk.

And another poster already said it...what do people do when the economy is down? Drink. Except that will only be happening at your hotel's poolside bar. Until 6pm. They could be rolling in the dough if they did something with the now defunct P.I. Problem is, many prospects that wanted to lease space have since RUN AWAY.

Trust me an ESPNZone on PI would bring in all the foot traffic DTD could handle. I think they would have to expand the parking area and as soon as Disney announces an ESPNZone all those clients will come running right back but there may be a line they have to wait in.

Biff215

Trust me an ESPNZone on PI would bring in all the foot traffic DTD could handle. I think they would have to expand the parking area and as soon as Disney announces an ESPNZone all those clients will come running right back but there may be a line they have to wait in.

Agreed 100%, just maybe not on PI but close enough. :shrug:

jt04

Would ESPN Zone really be all that great? I've never been to one but all I picture is just yet another overblown themed corporate resturant... not the type of thing that will draw in the locals.

I know what you are saying but all you have to do is look at the crowds that flock to the ESPN on the boardwalk.

Because of the huge numbers of tourists on property, especially DVC folks, (not to mention area locals) that need a place for evening entertainment, I think the crowds would be amazing. ESPNZones are known for drawing crowds. They live off "locals" in most areas.

ESPNZone has a great web site. Just look at some of the pics. It's perfect for DTD IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom