Virgin Megastore

lbrad

Possibly another electronics store. Bear with me since I really dont know whether some stores can be placed on WDW due to permits/contracts. But I can see a Best Buy, or an electronics store like that. Or if they want to stay in the MSRP overpriced section, FYE

I think they need a Wal Mart... There aren't enough of them:brick:

lbrad

They didn't aim for DTD to be for out-of-towners really, but instead locals. If they have extra time, yeah sure Disney will push them there, but it's not the aim. Look at Rainforest Cafe for crying out loud, one in a park, another there. The WoD is there to allow locals to buy merchandise without heading into the parks. And many of the specialty stores replicate something inside the parks somewhere.

Disney tried to make this a destination place for locals, and even with PI's removal, it's still their goal. While I do not see an Apple Store moving into Virgin due to size, market, and placement, I can see something like a giant Toys-R-Us like in Times Square going in. Want to see the future of DTD? Look at CityWalk...

Do they have a Wal Mart:shrug: I hope not

Disneyfanman

I still can't find anything about the store closing. Unless the entire chain shuts down (certainly possible) I can't imagine them closing that site. It's always packed, the registers always have a line, the little coffee shop is always hopping. We always go, and it's the only shop on the West side that we visit and actually purchase anything. (Most of our shopping takes place in the Marketplace)

The products and services sold there are not replicated anywhere else in DTD. It's a major draw for the development. If it did close, the best fit would be another chain that sells a similar type of product. (Barnes and Nobel comes to mind). Can you imagine a Flagship B&N store? I know they are cutting back on new store development, but it would sure rock as a location.

Hopefully the Virgin Megastore sticks around though. I would really miss it. The odd little art store right around the corner? Not so much.

Pete C

What about a MagiQuest?

http://www.magiquest.com/

I think Universal has already worked a deal for their Harry Potter attraction though...I wonder if that included some sort of exclusivity clause? I would assume so.

Another option would be an IMAX theater.

Merlin0402

Why is everyone so positive that Virgin will be closing this location? The only stores that seem to be closing are the Anaheim, CA store and (possibly) the Union Square, NYC store. I have heard nothing about the Downtown Disney location closing except on here... anyone have any reliable sources?

playingmysong

Merlin, Vornado & Related (the two companies whose joint venture purchased VEGNA, or Virgin Entertainment Group North America) are realty firms. Vornado owns the property at Times Square that houses a Virgin, while Related owns the property in Union Square that houses a Virgin. Vornado veep Sandeep Mathrani stated on the record that they bought VEGNA simply to gain control of those two leases and then "wind the chain down". While that doesn't have a definite timeframe, it's on the record that Vornado & Related plan on shuttering all of the nation's Virgins and therefore dissolving VEGNA.

VEGNA's only hope is that once Vornado & Related close the two Manhattan stores (after all, that was their aim in buying VEGNA), that they put the remainder of the chain (San Francisco, DTD, Denver, Hollywood) for sale, and it gets purchased by someone who intends to keep the stores going. If not, the only option is eventual closure of all stores, as Vornado & Related have stated that they have no interest in owning retail stores. They merely bought Virgin Entertainment to get back these two NY leases.

For the record, the Times Square store is soon to become a Forever 21, and the Union Square store only has a slight reprieve because a deal with Nordstrom fell through.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, especially on a WDW Magic forum! :-( I wish Disney itself would buy the Virgin location at DTD, but that seems really far-fetched, too. The best option would be for Disney to convince a major retailer like HMV to re-enter the North American market and take over the DTD store as a flagship, but again, a scenario like that is beyond unlikely, despite the fact that the DTD store is a big money-maker. (The Times Square location did $55 mil in business per year, and the DTD location reportedly isn't far behind, so the store's profitability is NOT in question!)

How about a good old fashioned Broadway styled theater? Maybe similar to the Lunt-Fontaine that houses Disney plays on Broadway. Not everyone will make it to NYC to see a play, but wouldn't it be nice to see a true, full-scale Broadway production on your Disney vacation?

jt04

How about a good old fashioned Broadway styled theater? Maybe similar to the Lunt-Fontaine that houses Disney plays on Broadway. Not everyone will make it to NYC to see a play, but wouldn't it be nice to see a true, full-scale Broadway production on your Disney vacation?

Yes, the west side should be about big shows. And since the shows could be offered as combined tickets it could have the effect of incresing the crowds and profitability of Cirque. Win Win!

ttalovebug

:sohappy: Now that would rock. They have broadway style-shows on Disney Cruise Line, so why not WDW? Better yet, they could put in an exsiting show that is no longer running on Broadway, like Beauty & the Beast.

pilka214

OMG!! how great would a full Broadway style theater be on Disney property...... Disney has enough touring profressional shows they could definately put them on there..... WOW i'd totally go!!! i mean if Cirque Du Soleil brings in people why not The lion King, or Beauty and the Beast on stage???

Ringo8n24

OMG!! how great would a full Broadway style theater be on Disney property...... Disney has enough touring profressional shows they could definately put them on there..... WOW i'd totally go!!! i mean if Cirque Du Soleil brings in people why not The lion King, or Beauty and the Beast on stage???

I think it is a fabulous idea, too. I would love to see Broadway's version of Mary Poppins while at WDW since I cannot afford to get to NYC to see it.

uklad79

Original Poster

Great idea maybe one Disney is also thinking about. I went to see Lion King on broadway a couple of weeks ago and the house was full so they must be bringing in the money.

I-4Warrior

If Disney is unwilling or unable to put any money into anything beyond a quick rehab at any attraction at the parks, I really doubt they're going to commit the millions it would cost to convert a retail space to a professional-caliber theater. I'm just sad the megastore is going away. It was a great diversion with some stuff that is more unique than your typical Borders or Hot Topic would ever stock.

TheDisneyMagic

If Disney is unwilling or unable to put any money into anything beyond a quick rehab at any attraction at the parks, I really doubt they're going to commit the millions it would cost to convert a retail space to a professional-caliber theater. I'm just sad the megastore is going away. It was a great diversion with some stuff that is more unique than your typical Borders or Hot Topic would ever stock.

But something like this (as its not within the parks) would be operated by a different part of the Walt Disney Company and would have seperate budgets.

I think it would be a great idea, I would definately be willing to see a broadway show at Downtown Disney.

bgraham34

I can't see Disney doing Broadway type shows in Orlando. It would take away from what Broadway is what Disney is trying to do IMHO.

I can't see Disney doing Broadway type shows in Orlando. It would take away from what Broadway is what Disney is trying to do IMHO.

It could compliment Broadway. You still have first-run shows in Manhattan, then when the shows "hit-the-road" then can stop in Orlando. It would give older shows "second-life" as people who can't get to NYC could see those shows in WDW after there original Broadway run.

Duckberg

SHOWS @Downtown D

Conversion on the V Mega-Store into
theatre large enough to handle Broadway
productions would be a GREAT :sohappy: idea!

IMO less RETAIL @ Downtown D & more
of the above is what is needed! :D

Duckberg :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom