Villas at Disneyland Hotel opening September 2023

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
The transient tax is an Anaheim thing. And the way it’s now calculated is also an Anaheim thing, which is why it’s so much higher than the tax for VGC.

However the decision to make it payable at the point of check-in is surely a DVC thing. It would make the dues much higher than VGC so they’ve decided to make it payable at check-in - which is the case at Aulani too. My guess is that’s the main reason.
Right. I think the pushback is like you were saying the other day that it's so high. It’s great that it's paid upon stay though. That way if not using the points and renting out then it's the renter's cost. Baking into MFs would reduce what an owner profits by renting as rental prices are not sensitive to MFs (e.g. someone renting Vero points isn't paid more despite higher MFs).

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
Right. I think the pushback is like you were saying the other day that it's so high. It’s great that it's paid upon stay though. That way if not using the points and renting out then it's the renter's cost. Baking into MFs would reduce what an owner profits by renting as rental prices are not sensitive to MFs (e.g. someone renting Vero points isn't paid more despite higher MFs).
Was it here someone pointed out though that it’s a bit weird in a way. Any points that just end up expiring, which does happen much more often than you might expect, won’t have this transient tax paid on them. So Anaheim loses out.

I also think it will make renting points out harder. Are people eally going to rent points if they are faced with this charge when they check-in. I know it would still be payable if you just book a room at the Disneyland Hotel, but the perception will be of an extra cost.

I also see a lot of people who were interested in buying now having second thoughts or even ruled it out completely.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Any points that just end up expiring, which does happen much more often than you might expect, won’t have this transient tax paid on them. So Anaheim loses out
Kinda. Any breakage will be rented out by Disney and the guest renting out the room will still pay a transient occupancy tax

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Kinda. Any breakage will be rented out by Disney and the guest renting out the room will still pay a transient occupancy tax
Right. Anaheim gets its on taxes one way or the other as long as it's actually occupied. On cash rates direct through Disney I'm unsure if it's calculated the same same was as a points reservation or if there's a different tax rate as a percentage of the cash rate, exactly like a hotel or lodging tax.

The only risk to Anheim is a room going unused, but this isn't much of a risk in DVC and shoukd be eve less so at this resort.

I don't have any problem with the tax itself other than the high cost. Effectively $27.30 on every 10 points and $273 on every 100 points starts to add up quickly at a point hungry resort.

wedenterprises

And this update

Update: The tax has been confirmed at $2.73 per point for 2023 with DVC publishing a chart showing the cost for each accommodation throughout the year.
Jeeeeeeeez. Hard no.

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
I took the plunge and added 150 points at DVC Disneyland to my contract. I understand the shortcomings but I wanted an 11 month booking option in California. With the discount offered and the buy back of the first year point (which was over 10% of the total purchase price) I felt like it was a decent deal.
Congratulations!

When are you planning your first “home” visit?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I took the plunge and added 150 points at DVC Disneyland to my contract. I understand the shortcomings but I wanted an 11 month booking option in California. With the discount offered and the buy back of the first year point (which was over 10% of the total purchase price) I felt like it was a decent deal.
Whenever someone questions the DVC deal they got, the zen part of my brain always pipes up to remind us that if your purchase will make you happier than having the money that you spent on it would have made you, then it’s a good deal.

May you have many wonderful visits!

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
My Aulani points rent much easier than my Old Key West points.
Not sure what you point is. It isn’t the home resort of the points themselves that’s the issue, it’s this tax that’s paid on arrival at VDH.

I know Hawaii has that, that is common across all Hawaii hotels I believe, wherever you stay. And visitors are even advised about it on tourist sites, hotel and airline sites etc.

But at DL it’s just the one Disney resort that has it, which differentiates it from VGC. That might make it less attractive. And if the points are therefore used to book other resorts at 7 months instead of at VDH, then that tax isn’t paid. Not sure if it’s Disney or Anaheim who ultimately end up losing out on the actual income.

CaptainAmerica

Not sure what you point is. It isn’t the home resort of the points themselves that’s the issue, it’s this tax that’s paid on arrival at VDH.

I know Hawaii has that, that is common across all Hawaii hotels I believe, wherever you stay. And visitors are even advised about it on tourist sites, hotel and airline sites etc.

But at DL it’s just the one Disney resort that has it, which differentiates it from VGC. That might make it less attractive. And if the points are therefore used to book other resorts at 7 months instead of at VDH, then that tax isn’t paid. Not sure if it’s Disney or Anaheim who ultimately end up losing out on the actual income.
"Less attractive than VGC" still means "more attractive than every other DVC property with the exception of maybe Boardwalk and Beach Club during Food and Wine."

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Less attractive than VGC" still means "more attractive than every other DVC property with the exception of maybe Boardwalk and Beach Club during Food and Wine."
As a resort yes, perhaps.

But that tax will add up, at about $63 a night for a studio (just under $3 per point per night).

Renters might not be too happy that they’ve already paid for the rental but now have a not significant amount to pay on top of that when they arrive. And even if that is made clear in the contract, it could still lead to some angry exchanges and some may even try a charge back, for example.

Bbeagle

The room WILL be booked. Doesn’t matter if it’s Saratoga points… whoever rents the room will pay the tax and give Anaheim income.

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
The room WILL be booked. Doesn’t matter if it’s Saratoga points… whoever rents the room will pay the tax and give Anaheim income.
Yes. I’m not disputing that.

I think renters may think twice about staying at the resort because of the extra tax to pay, they’ll hang on for VGC or stay offsite instead.

Bbeagle

Yes. I’m not disputing that.

I think renters may think twice about staying at the resort because of the extra tax to pay, they’ll hang on for VGC or stay offsite instead.
I get that. I tried for a VGC reservation, couldn’t get it as it was booked for the time I wanted in February. I was able to snag a VDH reservation instead. I'll have to pay about $1,000 extra in taxes for this VDH reservation.

I'm looking every day to trade my VDH nights for VGC nights. Probably won’t happen, but I get what you’re saying. We'll still stay at the VDH and pay the taxes if we have to. Don’t like it, but its what it is.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
A resale contract has been listed! Either a sad change in circumstances or the seller really didn’t like the resort.

I think $185 for 150 points is low. I understand that it bakes in resale restrictions and had first year's points used but considering (1) that 150 points would cost $227/pt and (2) that it's California where I'm confident there's a good market of buyers who'd be happy to only stay there, and (3) it's the first listing, I would have recommended listing for $205 to see if anyone bites and then consider any offers to let the market dictate an appropriate price.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom