'Villains Unleashed' hard ticketed event coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios in August

Kman101

LOL, drew81 is hardly a "nobody" and often knows a lot of inside information regarding the characters, and a proven track record around here with information, just so you're aware of that. Same with asianway, who seems to know what characters are even available. So before you knock them, I hope you know their history.

The party is in two months, hardly early, and as far as I know, they do give you a list if you call. Of course said characters could change, but I don't think it's a stretch to figure out who will be out and about. And I'm not sure why it's some well guarded secret?

I have long disliked all the separate ticket events and of course when I found out about the event...I knew I would be down there at the time. However now after checking out my already made plans I find out I am being affected by this money grab from a company I used to greatly enjoy personally.
I would like to share how I spent a few hours this afternoon...

We are DVC for 15 years, so we know the planning months out and have always done this without problems. My wife says I am ridiculous as to how detailed my planning was in past years. However, I said I was not going to be involved in any of the planning this year and it was her time to experience all the fun... and so here I am.

Now for this date we had a dining ressie at 50s PT Cafe and the park was closing at 8 with a Fantasmic showing @ 8pm. Yes thats right, when I planned it out months ago(like WDW wants things done) they were open until 8 with a Fantasmic. Well now roughly 2 months before the trip, the stars aligned and this money grab falls on the day we planned to go to DHS. Note to all who say this event does not inconvenience park day guests... you need to check the facts. It most certainly does. I wonder how many others are in my situation and how many others don't even know it.
Now due to this event, there is no Fantasmic(which the kids want to see)... which forces me to rearrange my plans for go to MGM another day. This in turn leads to my 50s PT Cafe(another kid's choice) ressie having to be canceled and guess what my options are now that it is only 10 weeks out... very early or very late and miss Fantasmic. So I call and explain the situation to WDW Dining who tells me there is in fact a Fantasmic but it is a Villians version and Fireworks...to which I reply I know but those are during the separate tix event. She basically checks, says yes it is and there really is nothing they can do. I call BS and they put me through to Guest Services who basically tell me to take the very early ressie(4pm), show up whenever I want and they will still honor my ressie. However by honoring my ressie, he means I will still have to wait when I get there and probably longer than those with ressies for that current time(when I show up). I wasn't born yesterday and know this would be a problem the day I am down there. There are only 2 days that I can switch out and neither have avalablity.

At this point I am quite PO'd about this event. If you are going to force folks to make ressies months out and then through no fault of their own... you mess them up, you should work with those that are inconvinenced by such corporate greed...just sayin.

So after looking into how I could possibly rearrange our plans further... I say enough with this crap. I am going to call back Guest services and take the 4pm ressie. If they do not honor it when we get there in Aug... other guests are going to have a pretty eventful dinner at 50s PT that night. I call and after getting a bit of a runaround by dining again(remember I have to explain the circumstances to each person I get passed to)... I get Guest Services again on the line. I explain the situation and he tells me he has never heard the advice that the other GS CM gave me being true. After he checks... what do you know... my exact desired time on the date I needed all along is magically available(gotta be some of that WDW Pixie dust magic as to how that time became available!:rolleyes:). He says if I did it the other way, there are way to many variables that could cause a problem the day of(which is why I was hesitant in the first place) He books it for me and all is right in the world again...:D however took way too many phone calls and it seems all depts/CMs do not get the same info.:banghead: In the end, they did get me the ressie I wanted, but way too long of a battle to get there.

Sorry for the rant but I needed to vent I bit.:mad::banghead:

Another thing I wonder, is that week prior going to be more crowded overall due to this event? Are folks going to plan a weeks vacation around this or just a weekend getaway?

I totally agree with you. This is exactly what happened to me. Rather than repeat the whole story I had posted about it here http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/villains-unleashed-fantasmic-dinner-package.885274/#post-6157727.

Long story short when they announced Villains Unleashed I had a Fantasmic dinner package that day which I made 180 days out. Dining told me they were still going to honor the reservation and the package just that Fantasmic would have a special Villain's preshow but that I would have to purchase the Villains Unleashed tickets on Monday to take advantage of the Fantasmic reservation. On Monday I bought the tickets with dining assuring me that they would honor the reservation. 4 days later I got a call from Brown Derby advising the entire reservation would be cancelled. I called dining who advised it was not the case but they would speak to Brown Derby, who then advised dining they were canceling the reservation. They then put me through to guest services to sort it out. Guest Services took 45 minutes to figure out whether or not Fantasmic would be going off that night and if Brown Derby could honor the reservation. Eventually they concluded no there was no Fantasmic and they would not honor the reservation. I had to move the Brown Derby reservation to 3:50 according to Guest Services.

What is particularly bothersome is the left hand doesn't tell the right hand what is going on. Moreover, like you we made our ADRs 180 days out. It's not like I can just move DHS to another day during our trip, my reservations for those days are set. While Guest Services was willing to switch the Brown Derby reservation they were not willing to help move entire days of my ADRs, which is partially understandable. The biggest frustration lies in the way Disney sold me the event. In the end we have decided to go to Villains Unleashed and skip Fantasmic this year.

DABIGCHEEZ

If you are going to Villians Unleashed though, there will be a villian themed Fantasmic show during the separate ticketed Villians Unleashed. DHS was originally closing at 8pm with the regular Fantasmic show scheduled. My problem was that in order for us to see a Fantasmic show on the day we had planned out, I had to buy the separate tickets to Villians Unleashed and they did in fact close the park an hour earlier at 7pm to have this event.

If you are going to Villians Unleashed though, there will be a villian themed Fantasmic show during the separate ticketed Villians Unleashed. DHS was originally closing at 8pm with the regular Fantasmic show scheduled. My problem was that in order for us to see a Fantasmic show on the day we had planned out, I had to buy the separate tickets to Villians Unleashed and they did in fact close the park an hour earlier at 7pm to have this event.
That is what I thought, however, while initially stated on the Disney Blog there would be a preshow it appears now that there will be no Fantasmic at all, at least according to guest services. The Disney website for the event doesn't address a Fantasmic pre-show either. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/hollywood-studios/villains-unleashed/

Some websites crowd calendars advise there is no Fantasmic. http://characterlocator.com/images/...rowd Calendar Park Hours KennythePirate-4.jpg

While other sites are still claiming there is a preshow. http://wdwnews.com/releases/2014/06...uled-for-aug-23-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

Part of the confusion appears to be caused by Disney's own blog which maintains there is a Fantasmic preshow.http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...oming-to-disneys-hollywood-studios-august-23/

I am not sure whether Disney themselves know if there will be a Fantasmic show that night.

PhotoDave219

I totally agree with you. This is exactly what happened to me. Rather than repeat the whole story I had posted about it here http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/villains-unleashed-fantasmic-dinner-package.885274/#post-6157727.

Long story short when they announced Villains Unleashed I had a Fantasmic dinner package that day which I made 180 days out. Dining told me they were still going to honor the reservation and the package just that Fantasmic would have a special Villain's preshow but that I would have to purchase the Villains Unleashed tickets on Monday to take advantage of the Fantasmic reservation. On Monday I bought the tickets with dining assuring me that they would honor the reservation. 4 days later I got a call from Brown Derby advising the entire reservation would be cancelled. I called dining who advised it was not the case but they would speak to Brown Derby, who then advised dining they were canceling the reservation. They then put me through to guest services to sort it out. Guest Services took 45 minutes to figure out whether or not Fantasmic would be going off that night and if Brown Derby could honor the reservation. Eventually they concluded no there was no Fantasmic and they would not honor the reservation. I had to move the Brown Derby reservation to 3:50 according to Guest Services.

What is particularly bothersome is the left hand doesn't tell the right hand what is going on. Moreover, like you we made our ADRs 180 days out. It's not like I can just move DHS to another day during our trip, my reservations for those days are set. While Guest Services was willing to switch the Brown Derby reservation they were not willing to help move entire days of my ADRs, which is partially understandable. The biggest frustration lies in the way Disney sold me the event. In the end we have decided to go to Villains Unleashed and skip Fantasmic this year.

Easy solution: Don't plan 180 days out.

I feel for you. I really do. Disney should not be making you jump through so many hoops.

You're going to need a manager to sort this out for you.

To be honest I am not a Disney complainer. I generally think Disney does a lot more things right than it does wrong. And I have seen Fantasmic enough where missing it this year is not that big a deal. I feel for those who this may be their only trip and have the same problem. My main issue with the whole process is that no one at Disney seems to know the correct answer and they have people selling Villain's Unleashed explaining to guests there will be a Fantasmic preshow when in fact, according to others in Disney there is no Fantasmic that night.

This not knowing the system appears to becoming routine. For instance with Fastpass+ we were one of the test groups last year so we know how to use the Disney Experience site. However, as part of the test group last year we could make reservations anytime. This year we only needed to know at what time will the system open for us to go online. Placed a call to Disney who stated you can do it right at midnight. Guest Services stated that is not true its 6 AM but then called their IT department who stated that its anytime after the system resets itself after park close the day before. That reset takes place at around 5 AM the next day. Three different Disney employees three different answers.

PhotoDave219

To be honest I am not a Disney complainer. I generally think Disney does a lot more things right than it does wrong. And I have seen Fantasmic enough where missing it this year is not that big a deal. I feel for those who this may be their only trip and have the same problem. My main issue with the whole process is that no one at Disney seems to know the correct answer and they have people selling Villain's Unleashed explaining to guests there will be a Fantasmic preshow when in fact, according to others in Disney there is no Fantasmic that night.

This not knowing the system appears to becoming routine. For instance with Fastpass+ we were one of the test groups last year so we know how to use the Disney Experience site. However, as part of the test group last year we could make reservations anytime. This year we only needed to know at what time will the system open for us to go online. Placed a call to Disney who stated you can do it right at midnight. Guest Services stated that is not true its 6 AM but then called their IT department who stated that its anytime after the system resets itself after park close the day before. That reset takes place at around 5 AM the next day. Three different Disney employees three different answers.

Like I said, I feel for you. Because it's not just you. It's happening to everyone and somewhere along the line, a disconnect happens because it's a company with 60,000 employees.

Now that's not an excuse why they don't have the crap together. That's just why they don't have the crap together… Not enough people marching to the beat of the same drum.

Basically you need to guest relations manager to sort all this out for you.

asianway

If Disney says there's a Fantasmic, I would go by that over some blog...

If Disney says there's a Fantasmic, I would go by that over some blog...
You probably missed the earlier posts, the problem in this situation is no one at Disney knows for sure. The Disney website does not include a Fantasmic pre-show. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/hollywood-studios/villains-unleashed/

However, Disney's own blog does. http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...oming-to-disneys-hollywood-studios-august-23/

Various outside blogs differ. Regardless Disney's own employees differ. Dining believes there is a Fantasmic Show. Brown Derby employees state there is not. Guest Services advises that the website does not state there is one so there is not one.

Last edited:
Like I said, I feel for you. Because it's not just you. It's happening to everyone and somewhere along the line, a disconnect happens because it's a company with 60,000 employees.

Now that's not an excuse why they don't have the crap together. That's just why they don't have the crap together… Not enough people marching to the beat of the same drum.

Basically you need to guest relations manager to sort all this out for you.
Agreed, that as a company with 60,000 employees they are not all going to be on the same page at the same time. However, with respect to fastpass+ it appears to be caused by a lack of proper training. It seems they never sat their CMs down to explain how in fact the software program works.

With regards to Villain's Unleashed it appears to be caused by the fact that they have thrown this together fairly last minute and the coordinators have not properly disseminated information down to the appropriate CMs. The point is though if you are going to take an extra $250+ out of the average family of four's pocket you need to be able to properly explain to them what in fact they are purchasing and if you don't know you shouldn't be guessing.

Kman101

You really DON'T have to book FP's 60 days in advance. That's a fear instilled, that a FP won't be available during your trip. Of course it's always possible one won't be, and better safe than sorry, but I don't see why anyone would HAVE to book a FP 60 days in advance, just because you can.

You really DON'T have to book FP's 60 days in advance. That's a fear instilled, that a FP won't be available during your trip. Of course it's always possible one won't be, and better safe than sorry, but I don't see why anyone would HAVE to book a FP 60 days in advance, just because you can.
You are probably right. But I have 2 options here 1. Make them 60 days out and with a little luck get everything I want; or 2. Wait potentially miss one that I want and then have to deal with DW. Option 1 sounds like the least likely to lead to divorce proceedings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom