News Villains Land Announced for Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

JoeCamel

If people constantly attacked you personally because they don’t agree with what you’re saying wouldn’t you get upset? We’re all human. Yeah, he shouldn’t waste his effort replying to people who are only dumping on him, but no one is perfect. Tom is a perfectly kind and supportive person to his team (which I am a part of). He’s very appreciative of what we do and tells us he’s proud of us and will compliment our work. When my cat passed away last month, without hesitation, he let me take as much time as I needed to grieve and be out of work, despite it being a busy news week. Heck, one time I showed him some art I did for fun and he loved it so much he wanted to do something more with it that’s currently in production. He’s much more than people claim he is. Yes, he’s not perfect and has made mistakes, but he’s grown a lot over the years and I think people need to see who he is now compared to how he was years ago.
Tom? Is that U?
Nah it is his actions that show the character

easyrowrdw

He’s talking about nothing being built beyond the berm. He thinks Cars is taking the entirety of TSI/that part of RoA and Villains is in whatever space is between the back half of RoA and the railroad berm. Tom wouldn’t say anything based on personal speculation, he only says things given to him by his inside sources. WDI even tells us things early. People demonize him over rumors that end up being changed but were true at one point. I know Tom personally and can attest for his commitment to only reporting rumors that have someone backing them up.

We had this whole discussion yesterday when people were attacking Brayden/MickeyViews- just because a rumor turns out to be false doesn’t mean it wasn’t true at a time. Disney changed plans all the time- Brayden predicted Radiator Springs Racers and Woodys Round Up for new Frontierland and ended up only being right about the Cars IP. Does that mean he was totally wrong? Also, the Moana Tiki Room and Woody Country Bears were both true but cancelled. We have concept art and insider statements to prove it, no matter what people choose to believe. You’re entitled to your beliefs and you’re valid for having them, but the facts are that WDW and MickeyViews aren’t gambling on personal headcanons.

This community is so toxic when it comes to rumors and attacking people who say them. People like Tom and Brayden aren’t making things up for clicks, the parks are their passions and they’re reporting what they feel people aught to know. If no one ever reported rumors we wouldn’t have the Country Bears anymore.
It’s so bizarre to me. Based on what many insiders here were saying, many folks were expecting Coco. Instead, we got Cars. I imagine if we tallied up all the things people got wrong, there’d be no one worth listening to anymore.

I swear, Disney website feuds have to be one of stupidest things to ever care about. I’m not saying it’s as stupid as Real Housewives or the Kardashians, but it’s close.

TimeDuck

Something they will never acknowledge that is keeping Bobby awake at night is the fact that the demographics for core Disney fans is aging up at an alarming rate. Which is why you see a knee jerk major investment like the Fortnite one, in a desperate bid to induce a new gateway drug for a younger audience.

That being said - I'm certain that this concept is a direct result of wanting to continue to cater to that slightly older crowd, who will eat this up. I think it's actually a mistake to prioritize Cars over this, regardless of whatever their current sales figures are telling them now. Look at the reaction in that massive arena, despite the fact that is a largely Disneyland audience. The pop was exponentially more audible than anything before it.

Whatever misgivings they've had about a "scary" land like this in the past are frankly, antiquated. Deadpool & Wolverine is an R rated Disney movie that just hit a billion dollars. The world has grown up, and something like this is long past due. Hopefully they have the strength of conviction to not only invest and deliver appropriately, but do it before that window is closed forever.

BasiltheBatLord

Something they will never acknowledge that is keeping Bobby awake at night is the fact that the demographics for core Disney fans is aging up at an alarming rate. Which is why you see a knee jerk major investment like the Fortnite one, in a desperate bid to induce a new gateway drug for a younger audience.

That being said - I'm certain that this concept is a direct result of wanting to continue to cater to that slightly older crowd, who will eat this up. I think it's actually a mistake to prioritize Cars over this, regardless of whatever their current sales figures are telling them now. Look at the reaction in that massive arena, despite the fact that is a largely Disneyland audience. The pop was exponentially more audible than anything before it.

Whatever misgivings they've had about a "scary" land like this in the past are frankly, antiquated. Deadpool & Wolverine is an R rated Disney movie that just hit a billion dollars. The world has grown up, and something like this is long past due. Hopefully they have the strength of conviction to not only invest and deliver appropriately, but do it before that window is closed forever.
I agree but I think we need to manage expectations on "scariness". They're not going to put a legitimately scary land in MK. I'm expecting a dark gothic tone overall but nothing "scary" or inappropriate for children.

Unless they're really taking bigger risks with this than assumed (1971 Snow White?)... But given the social climate we live in now it's hard to imagine from Disney.

Tha Realest

I was pretty underwhelmed with the Fortnite presentation. I had guessed given the investment and partnership we’d see something like a reskin of the Fortnite game within a Disney universe (a la Infinity 4.0).

Instead, we got….Disney character skins? And maybe a storyline? They’ve done that for tons of movies and properties over the years. Just a really underwhelming choice

bmr1591

Eh, yeah fans are growing up with Disney, but that’s been the case since the 1940s. There’s a massive demographic of children being born and raised every day whose parents have Disney+ to stream Moana for the umpteenth time. Yes, I do believe Disney is trying to reach a little older demographic with Villains, but let’s not pretend their core demographic isn’t children. That’s like saying just because a bunch of adults enjoy and follow One Piece that the target demographic isn’t still twelve year old boys.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here's what Disney released today on location:

And cruising just around the bend, guests will be able to venture Beyond Big Thunder Mountain into an all-new land dedicated to Disney Villains. Inspired by the wicked characters fans know and loathe, the multi-acre expansion will include two major attractions, plus dining and shopping. Walt Disney Imagineering is pushing creative boundaries to dark and mysterious levels to bring this new, first-of-its-kind land to life.

DCLcruiser

Fantasyland has more than three rides.

Why do all the recent lands built by Disney only have two attractions? Is Disney just that cheap?
I forgot about Under the Sea, and frankly I don't think I even knew about Winnie the Pooh. I can't recall ever going on it. To me Barnstormer is in the Casey's Circus/Corner area, which is outside of Fantasyland, but I realize it's one land per the park map.

Peter Pan
It's a small world
Under the Sea
Dumbo
Winnie the Pooh
Barnstormer - Casey's Circus

I'll just say that 2 major rides in the norm for most lands in WDW, especially new development.

celluloid

I am shocked to see Bob approve an entire land not specifically linked to an IP he approved or purchased. I think it’s a huge win for us. I hope vertical construction begins before the next CEO arrives and cancels it.

Sort of. A major part of his career has been inventing the Disney brand for chinese the way they have never had it. This was the major reason for live action remakes.
Maleficent and others will be pushed in other properties from Bob's final years soon.

Synergy is what is coming. Just like you can be sure of Monsters Inc. becoming a trilogy with the new coaster coming.

DCLcruiser

Wrong topic. Back to Villains.

Attachments

• MK-Expansion.jpg
    MK-Expansion.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 60

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
As someone with young grandkids, color me "not thrilled" on this. A villains land sounds great but not at the MK. I would have preferred to see it at HS (not sure where within its foot print) because that park needs more attractions and it's already more appealing to older kids. But given how slowly Disney builds, my 3 yo and 10-month old grands will probably be in college by the time this comes close to completion.
LOL... This is the park that has also housed a Haunted Mansion where a bride literally chops off the heads of her exes...

...An Alien Encounter attraction where blood literally splattered onto guests below...

...A drunk driver who drives headfirst into a train and ends up in Hell...

...A telling of Snow White where in the OG version you get crushed by a boulder...

It is okay for kids to experience a sense of danger. Builds character. And if you dont want the grandkids to get a lil spook, just dont go there. Its literally in the back of the park.

Villains fits best in MK. Villains surrounds the fairytales that are in the rest of the park.

You know what doesnt fit? Cars. Cars goes to HS. If HS attracts and older crowd and MK attracts a younger crowd, the solution is to balance them out to make them appealing to more ages. Not condense the options down to a specific park.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

ctrlaltdel

Screenshot 2024-08-12 091738.png

Posted this in the Cars thread, but I'm assuming Villains will be somewhere in blue (the entrance to which would be in the upper right corner of the Cars concept art). Potentially another entrance in fantasyland?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom