News Villains Land Announced for Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

WoundedDreamer

Neither Haunted Mansion or Pirates is about "defeating" the villainy
Both are a celebration of the "bad" characters doing some really terrible things
Ah, but is that so? We got a version of Pirates of the Caribbean that was removed from its original context. But the Pirates of the Caribbean that Walt Disney oversaw right before his death was an explicitly moral tale.

Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland features a series of show scenes that demonstrate the effects of the pirate lifestyle. And the result… Isn’t pretty. Their gluttony, greed, and exploitation end in their deaths. Their treasures and lives lost to betrayal and violence. The clear message is that the wages of piracy are death and misery.

Even our Orlando version of the attraction has scenes at the beginning where the futility of the pirate lifestyle is demonstrated. Their remains strewn across the ground. Their pride and greatness dashed. The hat of one great pirate becomes the home of a seagull. The prideful and strong pirate humiliated in death.

The message is clear. Piracy might be exciting and romantic (why its memory persists in our culture’s imagination), but it’s no way to live life.

The Haunted Mansion has its own very cool story. New Orleans Square is one of my favorite lands! And the Magic Kingdom’s renditions of those attractions are some of the best in the park. Good stuff!

HMF

Ah, but is that so? We got a version of Pirates of the Caribbean that was removed from its original context. But the Pirates of the Caribbean that Walt Disney oversaw right before his death was an explicitly moral tale.

Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland features a series of show scenes that demonstrate the effects of the pirate lifestyle. And the result… Isn’t pretty. Their gluttony, greed, and exploitation end in their deaths. Their treasures and lives lost to betrayal and violence. The clear message is that the wages of piracy are death and misery.
It was that way until Depp showed up.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

I hope not. The Fantasy Springs Peter Pan ride looks awful to me; you're just watching a bunch of movies play on a screen.
They are some practical set pieces thrown in that could be scaled up for Villians. Someone over on the IU forums pitched this as an opportunity to bring the Shanghai Pirates ride system to WDW. That would make for a killer E ticket as well.

flyerjab

I happened to catch some of Mongello’s interview with Josh. When the subject of Villian’s land came up, Josh sort of paused and said “wait until you see what the Imagineers are coming up with for Villain’s Land. It is going to be insane!” Really hoping they stick with the mood we got from the concept art.

UNCgolf

They are some practical set pieces thrown in that could be scaled up for Villians. Someone over on the IU forums pitched this as an opportunity to bring the Shanghai Pirates ride system to WDW. That would make for a killer E ticket as well.

I'd be much more interested in the Shanghai Pirates system, although I think that ride is too heavy on watching movies as well (but a lot better than Peter Pan). I'd like to see them pull back on that some to use more AAs/physical set pieces if they ever design a new ride using it; I think they could do better.

MagicHappens1971

Considering the Shanghai Pirates system seems to be the choice for DL's Pandora ride, I'd imagine they also want to bring it to WDW. It'll be interesting to see where it ends up being used. Moana? Villains? something else?
I feel like they’re saving it for the eventual Moana addition to Adventureland. My personal theory is that Villains will have at least a coaster and some type of trackless ride.

James Alucobond

I personally think a modified version featuring Sleeping Beauty on the same track would help differentiate it. You can practically do a 1:1 scene swap with birthday prep in the cabin instead of the dwarves; the raven peering in the window while magic puffs from the chimney; Once Upon a Dream briefly in the woods; castle approach and passing into the fireplace instead of the mines and door; pricking finger instead of mirror transformation; Sword of Truth/Shield of Virtue fight against Maleficent instead of dwarves pushing the boulder; bedroom kiss scene instead of the glass coffin; and Philip and Aurora with color-shifting dress at the exit.

Of course, if Maleficent gets a coaster anyway, I suppose Sleeping Beauty will finally have some recognition in a ride without resorting to that.

Bleed0range

Considering the Shanghai Pirates system seems to be the choice for DL's Pandora ride, I'd imagine they also want to bring it to WDW. It'll be interesting to see where it ends up being used. Moana? Villains? something else?
You know, I was thinking, it would be kind of cool to have a villains dark ride water ride utilizing the tech from the Shanghai pirates ride. They could have the villains teaming up with Captain Hook leading the way from Neverland, then recruiting Ursula under the sea. Etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom