videotaping on rides question

dolphinmom

Original Poster
I am just wondering what are the rides ( if any) that you are NOT allowed to videotape while you are on it?

TIA
dolphinmom:)

I would reccomend that you do not video tape on any ride that is dark out of respect for others who may see your video display screen. When it is dark any light seems even brighter.

Gary

head mouse

Video tapping is fine. the display screen is not that big a problem. If your all the worried about it. use the eye view instead.

As for being allowed. it all depends on the CM at the door and what mood they are in that day. MouseTimes.com has a LARGE collection of videos where they actually them self walking past the CM. So it' snot like they hide the camera.

Now I wouldn't recommend using a light on your camera, or a flash. That would be bad. If you'll notice the CM's say "Please no FLASH photography. This is so that the flash does not ruin the show for others.

I was actually about to post this question - glad I found it here.

Much to my embarassment, I (literally) shut down Star Tours the last time I was at Disney because I was videotaping. They didn't make me hand over the video or anything, but they shut off the ride in the middle of it, and had to "reset" it. I watched the video again, and they did NOT say at the beginning no videotaping (they only said no flash photography) and my camera light was not on. But they were sure to look very pointedly at me when they came in to re-set the ride and say "no flash photography OR videotaping"

So there are definitely rides you're not allowed to video - unfortunately in past experience, I didn't see many cast members including that fact as part of their spiel.

If anyone knows of any other rides you can't video, I'd love to hear it before leaving this Saturday...I'm going with the same group of friends again, and I'll NEVER live down the Star Tours shutdown...so I'd be pretty bad off if I make the same mistake again :eek:

Aurora23

Usually any ride or show that has a movie included. Plus any that inform you not to tape, of course.

I remember my father trying to video the Muppet 3-D movie, and what a stupid idea that was to begin with. How were we supposed to watch that at home!?

And I was instucted in person, not to film Rock n Roller Coaster for my safety. He said that he has seen people hurt their face in the process. But I have seen videos online, so I will enjoy other peoples videos. :p

Ya I just found another discussion about the same topic, with 5 pages worth of responses ;) It sounds like anything that could hurt you to video, you're not supposed to (RnR, SM, etc)...and anything with video you're not supposed to...and everything else is somewhat at the CM's whim from what I'm hearing. (I was suprised I was allowed to tape ANYTHING at first -I assumed it was some sort of copyright issue - but then once they started letting me, I got bold and started taping EVERYTHING)

I guess I'll just ask before I get on every ride this time around. Actually, I probably won't need to - my traveling companions are sure to do it for me, just to see how bright red I can turn at every moment :eek:

MattyFresh

my brother got the bright idea to video ToT last summer. Lets just say, it was an idea. All you see is a bright light and hear the wind rushing past you, darkness and then light, darkness and light. It was funny to hear all the people in the cart with you.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It`s been said a million times; there are reasons why you are asked not to tape certain attractions.

Copyright

Safety of Cast (if a flash goes off in the face of a preformer in a show they are to all intents and purposes blinded. You get what you deserve)

Safety of everyone - if your lens cap comes loose on Rock n Rollercoaster you`ll be fine. It`s the person in the back row hit in the eye by a piece of plastic with a combined impact speed of around 90mph that`ll suffer. Now imagine if it was your whole camera that became airborne. Even on BTM it could cause serious injury.

And yes, LCD screens can be a BIG distraction. Do the honourable thing for others and use the viewfinder.

Flash pictures are a no no indoors for obvious reasons; ruining the effects, spoiling it for others - plus AAs are not designed to be seen in full light. They will look awful and your picture will look daft. And don`t try to take flash pics on the ToT, TTA inside SMs load, the HM etc.... all you`ll get will be unfocused kick as the flash fires back off the glass windows or scrims - totally overexposing your photo and throwing the AI and autofocus into a frenzy.

Finally, dark rides are pointless to record if you use auto focus and exposure. Do it manually. Don`t know how? Read the book and have a play before you visit. Even walking from inside your house to outside will give you an idea of what to do and what to avoid.

Mecha Figment

I was sitting near the front one time watching VOLM and somebody took a flash picture. I literally heard the whole cast doing the blacklight number let out a very audible groan.

wdwfan30

Usually any ride or show that has a movie included. Plus any that inform you not to tape, of course.

I remember my father trying to video the Muppet 3-D movie, and what a stupid idea that was to begin with. How were we supposed to watch that at home!?

And I was instucted in person, not to film Rock n Roller Coaster for my safety. He said that he has seen people hurt their face in the process. But I have seen videos online, so I will enjoy other peoples videos. :p

actually if you put the 3-D glasses over the camera lens the movie appears fine;)

CThaddeus

Will it work if you wear the 3D glasses at home?? Just a thought :)

Nope. Tried it many times. The best you can do, as mentioned by wdwfan30 is to put a piece of 3-D lens over your camera's lens. This will eliminate the 3-D effect for the most part, making it look like a normal movie. Filming the screen without the lens just creates a double image which you would think would be eliminated by the glasses, but strangely it isn't. I wish I knew the reason behind that...and how to counteract it so I could watch it in 3-D at home!

hokielutz

Will it work if you wear the 3D glasses at home?? Just a thought :)

I think it might work if you filmed it in HD and played it back on an HD screen..... but maybe not. :cool:

speaking of 3-D.... If you haven't already... you should find an AMC theater that is showing the 3D version of Meet the Robinsons. Saw it over the weekend and I must say that it was really fantastic.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The other problem you`ll have with lenses over the camera in a 3D movie is screen flicker; NTSC refresh rates make the image flicker. Polorising it will make it worse.

PAL framrates are different - no problem ;)

maryszhi

Copy right laws, safty, and respect. That should sum it all up!
~ A dream is what your heart makes~
~when you wish upon a star~

Craig & Lisa

Done it many times and had no problems. I never use the LCD screen, or flash, inside, the video camera has a night shot setting, so no problems. Enjoy, if the CM's ask that's when you don't. Hey.... no brainer!! :veryconfu

palmage

Now I wouldn't recommend using a light on your camera, or a flash. That would be bad. If you'll notice the CM's say "Please no FLASH photography. This is so that the flash does not ruin the show for others.
Tell that to our latino friends that conveniently can't speak english.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom