VIDEO - Celebrate the Magic

articos

The newer generation projectors allow for much better projection, and it shows. Gorgeous colors, brighter imagery. Technically, it's great. That said, the show & music lacks emotional impact for me - as a show, it's going to bring oohs and ahhs, but it's not going to be remembered for bringing a warm happy feeling a year down the road. They've also resorted to stock transitions and it begins to feel repetitive halfway through. The order of the segments was puzzling to me as well. Why was the holiday segment in the middle? Technically great, emotionally and story lacking. (Also, needs more pyro.)

SirLink

To me all the Disney 'clips' look so much like well we had these scenes in development for the MM&Y and we just got them done. Had a very we are projecting the PhillarMagic show on the castle...

Overall it was better than MM&Y, however, still the superior use of this tech - in terms of creating a show still resides in DLP.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
With the castle being remapped, I agree the projections look stunning. And thats just on video! I also agree the show looks amazing, but Paris seems to use the castle arcitecture better overall as a 3 dimensional projection surface. Still, it is a plus for the MK.

Timothy_Q

The optical illusion of the castle's changing architecture is what made the old show so amazing. And I feel like this new show is missing that. They are both great, but the new show is missing those jaw dropping moments the first show had.

Agreed.
MM&Y had tons of castle tranformations, one after the other, which is what made the show so much fun and unique.

On the other side, I'm happy they kept some scenes, especially the "rocket tower" which was one of my favs.

Well, the show is easily changed, let's hope it gets better.

HDS

I for one like it. It has something the other show didn't, Representation of Disney movies not represented enough around the park.

WDW_Emily

I Loved MM&Y and comparing it to this new show, I'm torn. While The quality looks 10 times better, and I love the new addition of characters, something just doesn't sit right. I feel like the different characters/slides don't blend well together. It just skips from one movie to the next and I felt like MM&Y connected the movies better and had better transitions. The last minute and a half looks amazing though! I won't fully judge until I see it in person.

Side Note: WHY IS VANELLOPE NOT IN THE WRECK IT RALPH SECTION? I MEAN SHE'S ADORABLE!

NewfieFan

On the downside, it was more just characters ON the castle. What was great about MM&Y is that it transformed the castle completely and many, many times. It was less about the characters and more about how the castle could change over and over. For example, the floating lanterns, melting walls and when Tink made it disappear.

Overall, i'd say each show holds it's own but due to the better use of the technology, I prefer the old show. I feel like this new show doesn't quite show off what it can do.

Yes, I missed that and noticed it too. The old show did so many fun things with the Castle and this show is certainly missing that. While I like that more characters and movies are represented I wish they used them in a way that had to do with the Castle not just projected on the Castle (if that makes sense). I loved the floating lanterns scene and so many others.

And as I mentioned before I really miss the music from MM&Y. Somehow I wish they could make the old soundtrack/song work. I know it had to do with memories and made much more sense with the pictures but I just really liked the old music better. You came away humming the music... this one, not so much!

DocMcHulk

I really wanted to like it. It just comes across as disjointed and forced. What makes the projection so cool is when they use the elements of the castle as part of the story. The castle was the story, rather than a story on the castle. But most of this show is just blasting scenes up there with little regard to the architectural elements. Most of that show could easily be shown on a massive 9:16 projection screen and it might even look BETTER that way.

The opening with Walt didn't work for me because many elements weren't very clear,

The Christmas section was nice. Love the "Freezing" of the castle.

The Brave sequence was bad.

The final 30 seconds were a nice close.

wiigirl

With the castle being remapped, I agree the projections look stunning. And thats just on video! I also agree the show looks amazing, but Paris seems to use the castle arcitecture better overall as a 3 dimensional projection surface. Still, it is a plus for the MK.

Agreed! :)
75.gif

midwest_mice

I enjoyed it, but it is really missing one thing I was hoping they would've kept in. At the very end of the old show they showed a clip of Walt speaking "to all that come to this happy place, welcome."

Timothy_Q

The opening with Walt didn't work for me because many elements weren't very clear,

The Christmas section was nice. Love the "Freezing" of the castle.

The Brave sequence was bad.

The final 30 seconds were a nice close.

Agreed, the Holiday sequence was one of the best, as it really played with the castle architecture (but that probably has to do with that most of it was recycled from MM&Y)

The Brave sequence was awful, but it'll probably be replaced by something else sometime soon (as well as Ralph's sequence, which was amazing)

Also, I enjoyed that they used the Mowgli sequence from DLP's Dreams (or at least a similar version)

Goofnut1980

I think its totally unique in its own way. I like the holiday insert. Only thing I can say as a negative is, I feel there was too many patterns and colors at some points.. so you really couldn't see much of what it was.. But maybe when I am there in a few weeks I will see it differently than on a computer screen... But it does look great!

CRM91

I agree that the new show wasn't as much about the castle as MM&Y was. I'm glad they kept some of the old projections. The bricks popping still amazes me!

A lot of the character scenes seem just thrown together at the end. I did not like the brave scene very much. I didn't think brave was spectacular when I saw it in theatres and I feel like Disney is trying to force it on people. Wreck it Ralph was my favorite!

Overall I like it, but It may take time for me to love it.

Tip Top Club

I gotta disagree about the Brave Scene. I think it's great, the music is wonderful and the turrets turning into trees and then moving along with the horse is great.

I also love the current Walt Quote about it being all started by a mouse (after all the welcome quote was from Disneyland, not Walt Disney World). Cutting to a modest looking Mickey there is the first time I've ever felt any emotional connection toward Mickey, as my love of the company stems from all those 90s animated features, not the original cartoons. Very well done.

WDWYankee15

I have to agree with what others have said. I think the best parts of the show are when the castle is a "character" and not just a canvas. It's a good show, but I think I liked MMY better.
This is it exactly. The castle should not be used as a screen. We can see that many places. The unique feature was the what the castle moved and lived. It was a character in and of itself. I hope as they tweek the show they bring those elements back in.

Either way when they started the MM&Y a few years back it was the neatest thing I ever saw. I am glad they are continuing this show in some form. I do love the idea. So much they can do with it and easily can change it and freshen it up to make different experiences.

nolatron

I like this show better as it has segments my 4yr DD will enjoy more than the previous show.

She'll enjoy the visuals and music from Disney movies she knows and loves more than just seeing photos of people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom