VIDEO - Celebrate the Magic

flynnibus

Premium Member
Don't like when they just used the castle as a canvas...
Loved the kaleidoscope scenes just for their visual pop..

The rest... the comparison to WoC that was brought up rings true. Like a mix tape of scenes without any connecting material or even emotional guide. The show just feels empty to me.

Way too much just projected it as if it were a movie screen, and not enough 3d Mapping to make the building look different. I thought the initial circus view looked cool.. and some of the christmas ones too...

The Celebrate the Magic song is horrible and generic cheese.

I really liked the old show sans the photo scenes... I was really hoping for more.

I give it a 'meh' - this show really feels like it was lacking a solid director and artistic vision.

Pseybert

I for one like it. It has something the other show didn't, Representation of Disney movies not represented enough around the park.

Yes, because we all know that representation of Disney movies is the only thing that makes a good attraction nowadays.

I'd have to disagree with that middle point. And for me, that is what makes the show below par with the older one. The optical illusion of the castle's changing architecture is what made the old show so amazing. And I feel like this new show is missing that. They are both great, but the new show is missing those jaw dropping moments the first show had.

Thank goodness for you, sir. I thought I was losing my mind with all of the positive reactions to the show. This show has no emotion, no jaw dropping moments. The best effect in the new show is the "popping bricks" segment that was butchered from the old show. In MMaY, it was much longer and much more effective. And can we talk about the music? Wow. The old theme song was incredible. Absolutely incredible. I looked forward to watching the former every single time I was in the Magic Kingdom. I will never watch this one again.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Others have said it, and I am going to have to agree.

I saw the show last night in the park, and it is technically good. The new mapping is very precise, and the quality of the images is good.

BUT, the show suffers from poor creative direction. There is no real purpose to it, other than a selection of scenes, and most significantly, it does not use the castle architecture properly. It looks like it was designed to be show on a screen, and the castle happened to be there, so it was projected on that. I agree that MMY made much better use of the castle, and was more effective in how it revealed.

The surprise element to the projection system is now gone, so they need to do something new here to make it stand out. MMY also had significantly better music, this new version is very forgettable. As it is, it is a reasonable show to those who have never seen MMY, but it is not a wow show, and needs a rework to make that connection to the guests.

HDS

Yes, because we all know that representation of Disney movies is the only thing that makes a good attraction nowadays.
*slow clap* Save your snide comments. This was my view of the new show. A civil person interjects with open forum questions, not closed off one liner snarks. Only thing missing from your reply was eyes rolling.

JustInTime

Thank goodness for you, sir. I thought I was losing my mind with all of the positive reactions to the show. This show has no emotion, no jaw dropping moments. The best effect in the new show is the "popping bricks" segment that was butchered from the old show. In MMaY, it was much longer and much more effective. And can we talk about the music? Wow. The old theme song was incredible. Absolutely incredible. I looked forward to watching the former every single time I was in the Magic Kingdom. I will never watch this one again.

I wouldn't go as far as not ever watching it again, but I agree. This version is below the MM&Y standard.

zooey

I loved the Wreck it Ralph and Brave portions. for the most part I think it's fantastic. What doesn't work is projecting large characters out of nowhere on the castle as if it were a traditional projection screen. It works best when the castle is made to transform with the contours of the building.

HouCuseChickie

I really enjoyed it. The vibrant colors were what really struck me. Now, I know the MM&Y incorporated the castle structure more, but considering that you could view this as a tribute to Disney animation, it makes sense to me that the castle function more as a canvas. My #1 fave part was the Cheshire Cat, but the Wreck it Ralph section was nicely done as well. I didn't get quite as choked up with the quote from Walt at the end, but I was misty and I have a feeling I will tear up when seeing it in person. Honestly, considering I always had such a hard time making out the pics on the castle for MM&Y, the only part I will really truly miss from the MM&Y is the castle exhaling at the end of the show.

Either way- should be seeing it this Sunday for the first time! :) Might even get a far away glimpse of it on Friday if it's shown while we're dining at Cali Grill. Can't wait!

Bob

Bo0bi3$
Premium Member
Watching it a few times I get the feeling that Disney just tried to cram as many of their movies together into a 10 minute sequence as possible. The MM&Y felt more like they were trying to tell a story using the castle. The music for MM&Y was definitely 1000 times better. Note to TDO, use the new projectors and bring back the old show.

Goofyernmost

I never saw last years show, so I cannot do a comparison. What I was impressed with is having Tinkerbell fly in and out of the castle added a three dimensional point to the projections. I also am pretty sure I saw, very, very briefly, the image of the old Castle Cake at one point. Made me chuckle. I'll bet the wish they had this technology back in 1997 so they could have spent a whole lot less money and got the wrath of a lot fewer people. :D

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I never saw last years show, so I cannot do a comparison. What I was impressed with is having Tinkerbell fly in and out of the castle added a three dimensional point to the projections. I also am pretty sure I saw, very, very briefly, the image of the old Castle Cake at one point. Made me chuckle. I'll bet the wish they had this technology back in 1997 so they could have spent a whole lot less money and got the wrath of a lot fewer people. :D
Here are all the versions of the original projection show
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/themagicthememoriesandyou/video.htm

WDWYankee15

I also would like to see them come up with show segments that were interchangeable and that they would put in and out segments on a given day so that over a trip you could see different versions. I think it would be very easy to change in say show #1 for show #2 or #3 or #4.... So they would all be neat but you never know what you are going to get. Also they wouldn't have to CRAM so many characters into one version. They could showcase more shows and expand the Disney fan experience by having multiple shows.

The work is in the programing. The projectors are there. I think this would be the ultimate in a show experience.

flynnibus

Premium Member
to no one's surprise.....a new or changed attraction doesn't fly well for the majority of the forum members.

Why not share your opinions and what makes you feel that way.. instead of making back handed comments about the community at large?

There is nothing wrong with lots of joy or lots of disappointment as long as the emotions are grounded and rational. It's when people go off the edge without a reason that all purpose is lost.

John

I like both shows for different reasons. Both have thier strong moments. Cant deny that the new show dosnt technically look incredible. The old show had better music, the new show has better projectors. Both shows are amazing to me. You would think they flashed a Starbucks logo...hehehehehehe

cslafferty

Hey, I am a self-proclaimed pixie-duster, and I do not like the new show. TDO - take the old show and replace the pics of random people with characters, if that's what you want to promote. The castle effects were MUCH more impressive - now you're just using the castle as a screen. That beautiful castle deserves better! Big step in the wrong direction. BIG.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom