Vicious SGE Rehab Rumor

dxwwf3

General Grizz said:
Disney can go two routes - make it less scary for kids or go straight for the AE. Stitch is Stitch, so I agree with them making it less scary based on what's available.

AT THE SAME TIME, they have to compensate for older audience by making a stronger script and a *more fulfilling ending*.

Well we all know which route they are going and it's going to be tough for them to compensate for the older audiences. I kinda wish they would just go kiddie to the max. At least that way one group would be really happy and that group would be the target audience.

General Grizz said:
I am glad Disney is recognizing these problems and intends to do something about it.

I also want to give Disney praise for this (if it indeed comes true). They could have easily sat on their butts and done nothing and they still would have sold a ton of merchandise.

General Grizz

Stitch79 said:
Actually I would have to disagree....Stitch didn't even begin to learn English until he landed on Earth, so I see these lines as another plot hole in the attraction. They come off as too "cutesy" to me.
I have to agree. Stitch seems "exploited" -- are his creators writing this script? Something is telling me no.

Let's just say I adored Stitch when the movie came out, but I can't stand him now.

Lee -- I agree the money should go to other attractions (AE planets -- CAROUSEL OF PROGRESS), but if guest complaints are that bad, Disney has to do something about Stitch. I can't say I didn't think this was going to happen.

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
Now, I still wonder what Mr. Sanders was thinking... he is the voice & creator of Stitch... and has a contract that he can be the ONLY voiced used unless he turns it down or he dies. Obviously he was either not in his right mind when he did Stitch's Great Escape or he was really tired that day... or maybe they forced him to do it. He shouldn't have done it. It's almost like he ruined his own character.

Captain Hank

I think that a rehab like this is the best thing for this attraction. The framework for a decent attraction is all there, it just needs to be tweaked. I'll save my suggestions for the "How to Improve SGE" thread, so I don't cause a drift.

Thelazer

While we are all tooting our horns here. I belive I called this quite sometime ago as well.

Lets hope for the best on this, WDI can do better than what SGE currently is.

Stitchfan712

Whoa, whoa whoa whoa.....wait a minute.

"Make him stop speaking english"

"Make him refer to himself as 626"

"Chris Sanders wasn't in his right mind"

Sigh. Okay....here's where I'm going to do something bad an actually offer a dissenting opinion:

First, about Chris. Chris went on the attraction, helped in its development, and stated that the way the show is now, is the way he would have done it too. He called the show a success. Whether you folks like it or not, the way stitch behaves in SGE is exactly the idea that Chris had of Stitch prior to Lilo meeting him: Playfully destructive, a nuisance, and mischivious. What he does with the audience, is exactly what 626 would have done. It's not a dumbed down or kid-safe script meant to make the idea of 626 less scary. It's a script based in truth on what Sanders' idea for Stitch was.

I'm sorry if you don't like that, and you feel that Stitch should somehow be scarier and more intimidating...but I could not disagree more.

Next, it has to be said: "They should shut down Stitch and bring back AE"

No, as much as you miss AE, they shouldn't shut down Stitch and bring AE back. While you'd make the AE fans happy with that, you would then have legions of disappointed Stitch fans. And to say "Well, who cares about them?" would be hypocrisy, because we are supposed to care about your loss of a ride. But we can't be allowed to love THIS ride without someone telling us that we're actinjg like our opinion is the only one that counts.

The fact is, a lot of people are being selfish about SGE, and it's happening on BOTH sides. I posted a subject a long time ago about the growing cultural war over AE. People agreed with me that it was getting too hot and people needed to cool down. Apparently, that isn't going to happen, and that's a real shame.

Next, have him stop speaking english? Well, I was surprised that there wasn't any tantalog used in the ride, but, can you imagine guests fully enjoying it if he doesn't utter a single word in english throughout the entire ride? People would come out of there with blank expressions "What did he say? What was that about? I don't get it". No offense intended Stitch79, but can you see the feasibility of turning it into a non-english ride? It wouldn't work. Disney would receive complaints, and have to re-script it yet again. It just doesn't make sense.

Next, calling himself 626 might be accurate, but there is a reason they refer to him at Stitch, and he calls himself Stitch, and that reason is called recognition. The ride is popular for 2 reasons: The strength and popularity of the Stitch character; and because the ride is new. Those are the two main reasons. "626's Great Escape" just doesn't have the same ring to it...nor will it be recognized by as many people.

Everbody knows who Stitch is. Not everyone knows who 626 is, or the story behind how he came to be named. Not everyone in the world has watched the movie. But disney's goal is to get as many people visiting the MK, to go see Stitch's great escape. That makes it a successful attraction. "Stitch" has more staying power, than "626".

Now think of the line...."Not impossible...for Stitch!" change it to "Not impossible, for 626!", can you imagine him saying that?

Case point: Stitch never refers to himself as 626 in the movie or in the series. Never. The only time he refers to himself as such, is in one of the versions of the screenmate. With this in mind, I can't imagine him calling himself 626. That's what Jumba calls him, and the GF. But not Stitch himself. And why is this such a sticking point anyway? Why is this bugging people?

To make everyone happy, Disney can simply remove the lines where stitch refers to himself at all. "Stitch has to boogie", "Not impossible for Stitch", get rid of them. Don't ever have Stitch tell you who he is. Then everyone is satisfied...those who think of him as Stitch, and those who think of him as 626. No complaint. But I think it's real sad that disney would have to do that to satisfy people.

I stand by an argument I have begun to form within the last two days.

We're being selfish.

And darn it, somebody has to say it. I'll risk my reputation by doing so. I want to see this ride succeed. I really do. Why do people have a problem with that? Some of y'all seem intent on making sure this ride fails or that people don't like it. I don't think it's fair. It's made me consider taking up another board for news on SGE because here it's tainted by so much negativity. You guys are tired of Stitch being popular? I was there from the beginning when he wasn't. I was there before it was cool to love Stitch. I'm no fair weather fan, and it disappoints me greatly, to hear such things, but I respect your opinion. But sometimes, a spade is a spade. The demands are too high.

Stitch is not AE, and will never be, and if Eisney and co. try to make it AE, there will be hell to pay. The ride will fail. Stitch is not a scary alien, and to make him one, because you think "adults want scary rides", would destroy his character. Parents would take their kids on it, kids would be scared out of their minds, and hate stitch. Parents and teens who love stitch FOR WHO HE IS, not based on some aribtrary standard set by AE, would also be very turned off by this.

We like Stitch's antics...his sillyness...is un-politically correct ways. WDW is transforming into Stitchland. This is very apparent at MGM studios and now MK. Some people, are overjoyed to see it. When I go to Disneyland, Stitch is almost nowhere to be seen or heard. It's like he doesn't exist over there. In WDW, Stitch almost IS the park. He's even the mascot of the Polynesian! You know how great it feels to see him come this far, when 2 years ago, I never knew if he'd have a future at all?

This character is very very dear to me, ver important in my life...whether you find it ridiculous or not, I couldn't care less. I know how I feel and I'm not changing it for some measure of acceptance in any society. I love Stitch. I'm glad to see his success. I find that this makes WDW an even more enjoyable place to visit, but I RESPECT that there are people who do not. But this little war needs to end before it becomes even bigger.

And now, bring on the bashing. Shield up.

Lynx04

Stitchfan712 said:
No, as much as you miss AE, they shouldn't shut down Stitch and bring AE back. While you'd make the AE fans happy with that, you would then have legions of disappointed Stitch fans.
I was a AE fan and after I say the Video of Stitch I still like AE better, but that is only because I prefer the mature attractions more then attractions targeted to youngsters. Having said that, I did think Stitch seemed like a worthy replacement and thought the AA of Stitch was great. I did notice on the video a lot of kids crying, since that is the only way I have experience the attraction, I don't know if that is a regular accurence, however I am sure it is. Since the primary target audience is children, I think it would be best for them to make it have a lighter edge to it to keep it less scary. Do they still warn parents in the queue that it maybe scary for children?

As far as bringing AE back, I don't believe in bringing back attractions that have been closed. To me it is making steps backwards instead of forwards. Some people might say that Stitch is a step backwards from AE. However, I would strongly disagree. Weither you like Stitch or not, the attraction does have a better AA and the addition of the AA guns. The only difference in the story is that it is not as dark. It may need some toning, but so did AE.

Stitchfan712

I watched the video of SGE a week prior to my WDW visit. That video did disappoint me, and lowered my expectations of the ride quite a bit.

When I got there, and experienced it, I was surprised at how much BETTER it is in person than on the video.

Where "holes" occur in the video, is where effects are taking place in the chair. And those effects make the show.

I went on the attraction about 5 times. Each time, I heard laughter and screams in the chamber. Very little crying, and only on a couple of visits, not every time. And always, from a child being carried in mom or dad's arms at about age two. I don't think that's a fair measure of the ride scaring kids. Toddlers are scared of the dark, period. they'd cry at Winnie the Pooh's dark points too. And do.

I just can't help imagining what it'd be like if Disney simply threw up their hands and said "Okay, give us your demands, and we'll tailor the show to your liking."

I imagine it would be a jumbled mess with no plot and no one would like it. It'd be unrecognizable as a Stitch attraction.

I think WDI knows what they're doing, I faith in them to a degree. I have no faith in management. And I feel that management's meddling could earn SGE a dumbed-down script that would be worse than the existing one and spell the end of the ride.

And what would replace SGE?

Not AE.

This is sad, real sad. I'm very disappointed to see these reactions.

ddank

Im honestly amazed any fan of Lilo & Stitch could tolerate that ride. It without a doubt has the least replay value of any raide in the park. I would rather see hall of presidents again than Stitch. Totally unimaginative and so obviously put together to capitalize on the marketing value the character has (it seems like they threw it together to just "get Stitch somehow in the parks") . Pity

Lynx04

ddank said:
Im honestly amazed any fan of Lilo & Stitch could tolerate that ride. It without a doubt has the least replay value of any raide in the park.
To many, AE had the same problem, that is why the attraction changed. I always went on AE when I went down there, but only once. It wasn't an attraction that had to experienced 6 or 7 times on my trip.

AE had a low replay, Stitch is the same way, and the attraction that will follow Stitch in the furture will probably have the same low replay value. The only people that will see the attraction over and over again are the fans of Stitch. I think Disney understands that there is a larger following of Stitch fans in the world then AE fans.

Snapper Bean

ddank said:
Im honestly amazed any fan of Lilo & Stitch could tolerate that ride. It without a doubt has the least replay value of any raide in the park. I would rather see hall of presidents again than Stitch. Totally unimaginative and so obviously put together to capitalize on the marketing value the character has (it seems like they threw it together to just "get Stitch somehow in the parks") . Pity

I agree. I saw it pre-opening and thought it was the most ridiculous waste of time - sort of MK's Sounds Dangerous with Drew Carey. Instead of throwing good money after bad, it seems clear now that Disney needed a new attraction not an overlay completely without a logical, entertaining story. But the big question is who you think the Phils will sign to fill out the rotation?

Snapper Bean

Captain Hank

Guys, the ride does not need to be totally scrapped. From what I've seen, the animatronics are absolutely incredible. The effects all look decent (most are just holdoversr from AE). So what's missing? The STORY. Depending on how you look at it, the story is both the easiest and hardest thing to change about this attraction. Easy because everything else is pretty much there--the physical building, the animatronics, etc. It's also the hardest because of the same reason--usually the story is put into place first, and everything else comes later. Also, the absolute hardest part is getting the story RIGHT. As seen in the current incarnation of this attraction, they didn't quite hit the mark. But, I think with time and money this attraction has the potential to develop into something very worthwhile. Don't completely count it out yet--give the Imaginieers a second chance. I have faith.

Tim G

General Grizz said:
Disney can go two routes - make it less scary for kids or go straight for the AE.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=819806&postcount=8
Stitch is Stitch, so I agree with them making it less scary based on what's available.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=819815&postcount=13
AT THE SAME TIME, they have to compensate for older audience by making a stronger script and a *more fulfilling ending*
Not a stronger script, a whole new script you mean...
I am glad Disney is recognizing these problems and intends to do something about it.
Disney is recognizing???
After many discussions they finally listened :rolleyes: (pretty freaky hey??... They actually listened)

Stitch79

Stitchfan712 said:
Next, have him stop speaking english? Well, I was surprised that there wasn't any tantalog used in the ride, but, can you imagine guests fully enjoying it if he doesn't utter a single word in english throughout the entire ride? People would come out of there with blank expressions "What did he say? What was that about? I don't get it". No offense intended Stitch79, but can you see the feasibility of turning it into a non-english ride? It wouldn't work. Disney would receive complaints, and have to re-script it yet again. It just doesn't make sense.

Well I don't intend to bash you, thats not what we are here for.

Anyhow, I understand that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to have Stitch to speak no English in the attraction, but the phrases that he does use just don't do it for me. In the beginning of the movie before he speaks any English (in fact, he really doesn't "speak" much at all in the movie) everyone still knew what was going on as far as his character. I just don't see why that same concept couldn't translate into the ride.

One of the reasons that I like Stitch so much is that he is a change from the regular syrupy sweet characters that Disney has been using for so long, and the cutesy phrases used in the ride seem to be going in the opposite direction of Stitch's character. For example, in the movie he used some phrases in the opening sequence that "shocked" everyone else in the scene and made one robot loose his lunch of nuts and bolts. I just can't see that same character running around the room saying "Nany nany boo-boo, you can't catch me".

I am a *huge* Stitch fan, but I was still disappointed in the ride....its a combination of things I guess. All I know is that I'm not rushing back to WDW to experience the show again.

Stitchfan712

I see where you are coming from.

The first time I heard the "you can't catch me" and the "missed me, now you gotta kiss me" lines I cringed. But...the more I experienced the ride the more I liked it and then I myself began joking about that with friends in the park. I can do the stitch voice pretty accurately and found myself saying "Will you be my friend" in his voice and laughing.

I really, really did enjoy it. But that's just me.

Tantalog should be introduced, if it fits, but not if it doesn't. Don't throw it in for inclusion's sake. throw it in if it fits the story, whatever it may be.

My prayer is that, if they do re-script it, that the new script is an actual improvement, and not simply a different script that ends up being worse than what already exists.

Stitch79

Stitchfan712 said:
My prayer is that, if they do re-script it, that the new script is an actual improvement, and not simply a different script that ends up being worse than what already exists.

Amen! ;)

TimeTrip

Snapper Bean said:
I agree. sort of MK's Sounds Dangerous with Drew Carey.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that had flashbacks to Sounds Dangerous when going on SGE. To me thats's bad, because I think Sounds Dangerous is an awful show. Bring back the movie with Chevy Chase and the audience members doing the sound effects. If we wanted to sit in the dark with headphones listening to binaural sound, that's what the booths after the show are for! :)

General Grizz

The only reason I don't SE AE coming back is because management WANTS Stitch in the MK - not to mention the great hype (sad and damaging when the hype doesn't live up) and the costs it would take to reconfigure AE after bringing in Stitch. They just wouldn't do that.

Granted, I don't think it would do great harm to the MK population at all to bring AE back (assuming it could, which it really couldn't) -- if Disney is shutting down Stitch to rescript it, I'm assuming the majority were displeased with the attraction and thus wouldn't be upset to see the ride gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom