Rumor Version of MaxPass coming to WDW in May?

disneygeek90

I would agree. There isn’t nearly as much interest for paying double the ticket price as praetorians on Disney sites make themselves believe there is.
Right. I think a lot reason that they can either hit up things quickly in the first two hours and the last two hours, have a bit of a "lull" during the peak of the day and are okay working around standby lines.

havoc315

Lotta work there...remember when people complained they had to get the tickets from the machines by walking to them???

Yeah...people don’t like that kinda stuff for high cost.

huh? People loved EMH. Only objection I ever heard about morning EMH, was some people didn’t like getting up early. But people loved being about to get through 4-5 attractions before official park open. (The 30 minute EE will cut it down to 1-3 attractions).

The problem is the balance point between making money and flooding the lines with too many. Some companies don’t do well with “enough” concepts.

Their goal is to get the most amount of people at the highest tolerable price for the most amount of products.

Somebody told me that once.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
huh? People loved EMH. Only objection I ever heard about morning EMH, was some people didn’t like getting up early. But people loved being about to get through 4-5 attractions before official park open. (The 30 minute EE will cut it down to 1-3 attractions).

I wasn’t talking about that...I was speaking of the complaint/defense when fastpass+ came out that was parroted on forums that dealt with Disney.

That walking to the old fast pass podiums was just too inconvenient...having to book laugh floor 58 days before you leave was much better. 🙄

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s exactly what people did during EMH or EMM. Knock out as many rides as possible during those early hours, then take a rest, grab a bite to eat and continue.

The guests who got up for EMH knew what they were getting up for. It’s not for everyone, but those that always do EMH or rope drop do this every day. They know exactly what they plan to ride and where to head next.

I don’t dispute any of that.

I’m disputing that 30 minutes allows much of anything. People will be shocked at how little it matters.

But I don’t think it lasts long anyway. I think it amounts to “one fastpass”...after that you’ll pay.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There would be direct and indirect revenue -- If used as something included for on-site guests, then it helps them book up their on-site rooms at higher rack rate prices. If used just for deluxe guests, or even just for concierge level guests -- it again incentivizes more people to upgrade at higher prices. And filling an on-site slot adds further revenue in dining, shopping, etc.

WDW has an average of 165,000 visitors per year.
If you monetized express pass to 15% of them --Then that's 24,750 per day. Whether monetized as a direct payment, or it basically lets you charge more for a deluxe room, etc. If you get an average additional revenue of $50 per person... that's about $500 million per year. If you are "selling" Express Passes to 20%, with an average additional revenue of $100 per person -- that's $1.2 billion per year.
So yes.. I think it's fair to say that WDW is currently leaving between $500 million and $1 billion on the table by not monetizing express pass more than they currently are. (FP+ does have some monetization with the 60 day booking window for on-site guests, and concierge guests can purchase additional).

I just told Disney they average 165,000 visitors per year...

...they immediately closed everything and let the bank repo it. 😉

havoc315

I don’t dispute any of that.

I’m disputing that 30 minutes allows much of anything. People will be shocked at how little it matters.

But I don’t think it lasts long anyway. I think it amounts to “one fastpass”...after that you’ll pay.

30 minutes is half the old EMH. I used to be able to do 4-6 attractions during a morning EMH. So cut that to 2-3... every day, every park. A huge on-site advantage.

And even if it amounts to “just one Fastpass”— 1 is significantly more than zero. Save 1 hour in lines each day... sounds like a huge on site advantage.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
30 minutes is half the old EMH. I used to be able to do 4-6 attractions during a morning EMH. So cut that to 2-3... every day, every park. A huge on-site advantage.

And even if it amounts to “just one Fastpass”— 1 is significantly more than zero. Save 1 hour in lines each day... sounds like a huge on site advantage.

We shall see.

I look at it this way under the old system:

15 minutes entry/travel time
45-60 minutes binge ride

New way:
15 minutes travel time
15-30 ride window

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
So without reading the 20 pages in the last day, what'd I miss? Lol

The usual:
  • Disney prices are too high
  • They are not doing X so I'm not going back
  • They made a rule I don't want to follow, I don't want to go back
  • They are letting in too many people I'm not going back
  • They are not letting in me when I want to go so I'm not going back
  • They changed something, I'm not going back
  • Profit is evil
  • Bob's are evil
  • Change is evil
  • DisneyX is a museum frozen at a certain time I remember, everything else is lesser.

havoc315

We shall see.

I look at it this way under the old system:

15 minutes entry/travel time
45-60 minutes binge ride

New way:
15 minutes travel time
15-30 ride window

There is a bit of unknown in the logistics.
Will they open turnstiles right at the +30 minute mark, and how big will that pre-rope drop crowd be.
Optimistic scenario: between smallish crowds and opening turnstiles a bit sooner, you’re pretty much guaranteed to be in the park at the +30 minute mark, giving you the full half hour to enjoy attractions with minimal “travel” time.
Pessimistic scenario: You spend the first 10+ minutes of early entry just getting through the turnstiles, only really giving you a chance to do 1 attraction.

But even under the pessimistic scenario, that’s a huge advantage over offsite guests.

Every Hard core WDW lover knows the value of rope drop. With early entry, ONLY on-site guests get that rope drop. Even if it was just a 5 minute early entry — think of the huge advantage of a 5 minute head start over offsite guests. That’s the difference between Flight of Passage being walk-on, and it being a 60 minute wait.

UNCgolf

There is a bit of unknown in the logistics.
Will they open turnstiles right at the +30 minute mark, and how big will that pre-rope drop crowd be.
Optimistic scenario: between smallish crowds and opening turnstiles a bit sooner, you’re pretty much guaranteed to be in the park at the +30 minute mark, giving you the full half hour to enjoy attractions with minimal “travel” time.
Pessimistic scenario: You spend the first 10+ minutes of early entry just getting through the turnstiles, only really giving you a chance to do 1 attraction.

But even under the pessimistic scenario, that’s a huge advantage over offsite guests.

Every Hard core WDW lover knows the value of rope drop. With early entry, ONLY on-site guests get that rope drop. Even if it was just a 5 minute early entry — think of the huge advantage of a 5 minute head start over offsite guests. That’s the difference between Flight of Passage being walk-on, and it being a 60 minute wait.

It seems like you could be at the park right when it opens and still end up with a 60+ minute wait for Flight of Passage. I think there are around 30,000 rooms at WDW resorts. Let's say 5,000 are empty on any given day and that there are only 2 people in each room (my guess is that the average number of guests per room is higher than 2, but just for argument's sake). That leaves 50,000 people with the on-site perk. Let's say 10,000 don't take advantage of it, and the other 40,000 split between all four parks equally (which would never happen -- the Magic Kingdom will likely get the most every day, but again, for argument's sake). So you've got 10,000 people headed early to Animal Kingdom.

Let's cut that in half and make it only 5,000 people because some arrived a bit late or any number of other reasons. Now let's cut that in half again -- assuming some people go to Everest or Kiliminjaro (will that even be open early?) or wherever else -- so you're down to 2,500 people headed to Flight of Passage at open. Flight of Passage only has a 1500 person hourly capacity. Some of those 2500 people are going to end up at the back of the line and still have to wait an hour to ride.

I guess it's not an issue because the same thing could/should have happened with the old EMH, but you never really hear anyone complaining about that so I guess it didn't? I don't really understand how, though, given the simple math involved.

It's still an advantage over off-site guests who can't do it at all, of course.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The usual:
  • Disney prices are too high
  • They are not doing X so I'm not going back
  • They made a rule I don't want to follow, I don't want to go back
  • They are letting in too many people I'm not going back
  • They are not letting in me when I want to go so I'm not going back
  • They changed something, I'm not going back
  • Profit is evil
  • Bob's are evil
  • Change is evil
  • DisneyX is a museum frozen at a certain time I remember, everything else is lesser.
  • people defending Disney pre-emptively...because they know they can’t bring themselves to ever say “no”...no matter what it is.

FTFY

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If anyone believes that Disney will simply institute a pay-for FP system and reap an extra billion or two... I think you’re ingesting a bit too much pixie dust. Could they? Certainly, since there seems to be no shortage of rubes at this time willing to open their credit cards to Disney (plus all that guvmint phunny money, baby!!!). However... Yet another “privilege” to pay for will push many guests away who have been near the tipping point. Could they make up for them? Perhaps. I know I’ve been going for 40 years and have begun to question at what point it no longer makes sense to go, and every price increase pushes us closer to the edge. I know I’m not the only one who feels this way. And word of mouth these days travels much more quickly than ever. Obviously negative word of mouth is what they want to avoid, but even they can’t control it once it gets legs. Nickel and diming has its limits. Are they happy to push away long-time, long-spending guests for the first-time rubes? Time will tell, I guess, but it doesn’t seem like a good decision on the surface.

havoc315

It seems like you could be at the park right when it opens and still end up with a 60+ minute wait for Flight of Passage. I think there are around 30,000 rooms at WDW resorts. Let's say 5,000 are empty on any given day and that there are only 2 people in each room (my guess is that the average number of guests per room is higher than 2, but just for argument's sake). That leaves 50,000 people with the on-site perk. Let's say 10,000 don't take advantage of it, and the other 40,000 split between all four parks equally (which would never happen -- the Magic Kingdom will likely get the most every day, but again, for argument's sake). So you've got 10,000 people headed early to Animal Kingdom.

Let's cut that in half and make it only 5,000 people because some arrived a bit late or any number of other reasons. Now let's cut that in half again -- assuming some people go to Everest or Kiliminjaro (will that even be open early?) or wherever else -- so you're down to 2,500 people headed to Flight of Passage at open. Flight of Passage only has a 1500 person hourly capacity. Some of those 2500 people are going to end up at the back of the line and still have to wait an hour to ride.

I guess it's not an issue because the same thing could/should have happened with the old EMH, but you never really hear anyone complaining about that so I guess it didn't? I don't really understand how, though, given the simple math involved.

It's still an advantage over off-site guests who can't do it at all, of course.

1. Old EMH was typically just 1 park on any given day. Now, eligible guests will be split between 4 parks.
2. It’s actually a lot more people eligible. Several off-site partner hotels get the perk. But despite 100,000+ eligible people, only a small percentage ever fully took advantage of morning EMH rope drop. Just as only a small portion of a day’s total attendance is ever present at regular rope drop. (More than once.. arriving 30 minutes before EMH rope drop, I’ve been the first person at the turnstiles)
3. let’s use your FOP example though. Right now, every single guest — off-site and on-site — is eligible for FOP rope drop. And the late arriving rope droppers — those that show up right at rope drop time, might indeed have a 60 minute wait. But those that were at the front of the ropedrop line will have a walk-on.
4. In the future, off-site guests will always be at the back of the rope drop line. An off site guest that arrives 2 hours before park opening.. will be at the end of the rope drop line. While the on-site guest who arrived 30 minutes before the Early Entry can now probably walk on to FOP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom