Rumor Version of MaxPass coming to WDW in May?

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I mean, there's no way they can introduce FastPass, paid or otherwise, until the queues can be used again. Do they announce a relaxation of social distancing alongside this supposed paid FP announcement?
Its rumored that the CDC will soon decrease the 6ft social distance to 3ft... That may allow for more options to open back up.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Social Distancing gave Disney the perfect opportunity to make a clean break with the current iteration of fast pass as opposed to a confusing drawn out transition to whatever is coming next. With talk of a normalcy returning as soon as July and stimulus checks, people are booking vacations. (Disney knows this through their own reservation system and data crunching). In order to facilitate it, it means increased capacity for the parks, which are already busting due to extended queues. I would expect they already have a timeline for 50% and higher capacities, and at that point you see/need the new FP implemented. I would expect that given changing conditions that timeline means changes are coming soon.

ChrisM

I'm mentally preparing myself for:

- 30 minute early entry as the primary resort guest perk.

- Possibly a small resort guest discount on (highly variable) pay-per-use Fastpass.

Saddle up, folks.

CaptainAmerica

I'm mentally preparing myself for:

- 30 minute early entry as the primary resort guest perk.

- Possibly a small resort guest discount on (highly variable) pay-per-use Fastpass.

Saddle up, folks.
Pay-per-use would be an absolute nightmare for them to administer. There's no way they'd want to be processing credit card transactions on that scale. Highly doubt.

havoc315

Pay-per-use would be an absolute nightmare for them to administer. There's no way they'd want to be processing credit card transactions on that scale. Highly doubt.

There are lots of other ways you can "pay per use" -- Such as prepurchasing a set number of fastpasses.

Not that different than Universal -- They have 2 tiers of Express Pass. An unlimited version, and 1 that is good for 1 time per ride.

aliceismad

But what if they were purchased as a package? 5 FP bundle for $X. 10 FP bundle for $Y.

ETA: I mean, it seems like Disney is favoring those who only come to DIsney once or twice or every few years -- the ones more likely to purchase DDP, after-hours events, fireworks parties, etc. A FP bundle system would allow those occasional visitors to guarantee they can get on certain rides with "minimal wait."

ChrisM

I completely disagree. In fact, I think the "Genie" is largely going to be built to support this feature.

The variable/surge pricing available to them for instant use (gratification) Fastpass is too rich of a pure profit stream to ignore.

CaptainAmerica

There are lots of other ways you can "pay per use" -- Such as prepurchasing a set number of fastpasses.

Not that different than Universal -- They have 2 tiers of Express Pass. An unlimited version, and 1 that is good for 1 time per ride.

But what if they were purchased as a package? 5 FP bundle for $X. 10 FP bundle for $Y.

ETA: I mean, it seems like Disney is favoring those who only come to DIsney once or twice or every few years -- the ones more likely to purchase DDP, after-hours events, fireworks parties, etc. A FP bundle system would allow those occasional visitors to guarantee they can get on certain rides with "minimal wait."
None of these are pay-per-use.

I completely disagree. In fact, I think the "Genie" is largely going to be built to support this feature.

The variable/surge pricing available to them for instant use (gratification) Fastpass is too rich of a pure profit stream to ignore.
It's "pure" profit, but I think you're severely overestimating the magnitude.

I don't doubt that there is some kind of paid FP coming but I pay-per-use would be bizarre and shocking to me.

ChrisM

I don't doubt that there is some kind of paid FP coming but I pay-per-use would be bizarre and shocking to me.

I don't see any issues with magnitude. Let's just spitball it for the Magic Kingdom...

This is a generalization but let's say 2,000 rider per hour throughput on 40 attractions equals 80,000 individual "rides" available per hour. Further, let's assume 50% of those are purchased as "immediate use" pay-per-ride Fastpass. That brings us to a maximum of 666 transactions per minute, assuming a worst case scenario of each ride being purchased individually (which would never be the case).

That doesn't strike me as an overwhelming transaction throughput.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
It would almost be like buying tickets for rides at a carnival.
1615828777464.png

dreday3

So if they institute a MaxPass or pay as you wish or whatever - how does that affect those that would just rather do a regular standby line for rides? Longer again because of a fast pass type system? They close the lines if too many people "pay as as they go"?

ChrisM

So if they institute a MaxPass or pay as you wish or whatever - how does that affect those that would just rather do a regular standby line for rides? Longer again because of a fast pass type system? They close the lines if too many people "pay as as they go"?

Again, this is completely speculative and we'll all look like idiots when Disney reveals whatever is it they will reveal (which won't be a surprise to me; I always look like an idiot).

However, if a pay-per-use feature was implemented I assume it would just be part of whatever Fastpass allocation they specify be made available (be it 30% or whatever of the ride's capacity). Price is then determined by availability within that pool and time/date/crowd sizes. Very similar to surge pricing models for Uber/Lyft.

havoc315

Pre-paying per use, is still paying per use. Also, with the new mobile app or DME linked to a magic band, swipe and pay is actually darn easy. I apple watch pay most of my transactions these days.

It is "profit" for Disney, no question -- but it's also effective line management. A big problem with FP+, is that it was way too communist. They over-promised ALL guests 3 fastpasses per day... The over-promise really diminished the value. They ended up having to keep juggling tiers, because there wasn't enough availability to really give everyone 3 "real" fastpasses per day to popular attractions.

So dynamic pricing of fastpasses could really help manage lines and guest flow. Chilly day -- Splash Mountain fastpasses go to half-price!
There was downtime at Tower of Terror making the lines really long, increase the price of a fastpass to bring down the line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom