Rumor Version of MaxPass coming to WDW in May?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
One could argue that the old/paper FP was better because those getting a FP generally, but not always, had a vested interest in actually riding the ride/attraction they went and got a FP for. Now, people book FP's because they can, not necessarily because they want to ride something, or because they need to burn one in order to get more that day. In other words, it's like @marni1971 said - it was fairer because it was less convenient. The number of people actually using a FP doesn't really change in that situation either way, it's more perception because of the advanced booking window and the frustration of not finding a FP for a ride you want and then being forced to grab one for something you aren't as interested in.

larandtra

Fair is a state of mind based on what a person believes they deserve. And what one person or group deems as "fair" others would likely disgaree. That term gets tossed around a lot these days in every aspect of life. The harsher reality is life, games, rules, etc are not going to be "fair" to anyone based on their own perception due to their wants, needs, desires. So while some may determine the FP+ is not as fair or unfair to a lot of the guests, I would respond that everyone has the same opportunity to learn the system, understand the process and rules regarding FP+, and then determine how to best use it to suit their own needs, wants, desires. There are no tricks, short cuts, special app that only certain guests have access to. It is a level playing field and up to the individual how much they want to learn and use the system as it is configured. It is the same as any sport. There are rules in every sport and some play it better than others. Not always due to ability, but, sometimes due to someone learning positioning, learning how the rules are configured and how to make the most of them. Using FP+ is the same concept. The more you know, the more you understand, the easier it is to use it to your advantage.

ImperfectPixie

Fair is a state of mind based on what a person believes they deserve. And what one person or group deems as "fair" others would likely disgaree. That term gets tossed around a lot these days in every aspect of life. The harsher reality is life, games, rules, etc are not going to be "fair" to anyone based on their own perception due to their wants, needs, desires. So while some may determine the FP+ is not as fair or unfair to a lot of the guests, I would respond that everyone has the same opportunity to learn the system, understand the process and rules regarding FP+, and then determine how to best use it to suit their own needs, wants, desires. There are no tricks, short cuts, special app that only certain guests have access to. It is a level playing field and up to the individual how much they want to learn and use the system as it is configured. It is the same as any sport. There are rules in every sport and some play it better than others. Not always due to ability, but, sometimes due to someone learning positioning, learning how the rules are configured and how to make the most of them. Using FP+ is the same concept. The more you know, the more you understand, the easier it is to use it to your advantage.
I would tend to agree with what you say here, except that there are people who find ways to game the system or to mess up fast-pass availability by making games out of seeing who can get the most fast-passes in a certain amount of time, etc. There was really no way to game or mess with the paper fast-pass system. I'd also be curious how many people on an average day just let a fast-pass expire rather than using it or changing it...do those just get added back into the available fast-pass pool for that particular attraction?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Maybe all those FPs that show up during the day occur because people miss their FP and the system allows a new one be be created?

As soon as we pass the FP tapstile, I try to move the next FP, which the system forced us to schedule at least an hour away, to a much sooner time. I check, and no luck. I keep checking and within a minute a slot opens up that allows us to go directly to the next attraction when done with the current one.

BigThunderMatt

There was really no way to game or mess with the paper fast-pass system.

Sure there was. With the return-times not being enforced you could hoard FastPasses throughout the day and just visit all the attractions at once. You could just go and get more FastPasses for other things as soon as you were able (2 hours after receiving your current one or after the start time on your current one, whichever came first). You didn't have to plan your day around the tickets because the attractions would take them as long as the top time had passed.

Really savvy people would also go to the FP distribution areas and look for machines that the Cast Member had accidentally left on override and would press the button on the back to dispense FastPasses that weren't attached to their ticket. If the Cast Member at distribution was distracted or had their back turned they were none the wiser.

The Pho

That’s not my experience at all during race wknds and summer. Many things are limited or with return times so late they may as well be gone.

I tend to avoid the busiest times like Christmas. But I made a trip every month last year and never had an issue getting passes day of. This year I’ve gone far less frequently but even Marathon weekend I managed just fine.

I still don’t really like the system compared to the old one, but it works decent enough for us. I’d prefer it went all day of like Land is, managed to get over 20 passes both days last time I was there.

But I guess just because it works for me doesn’t mean that everyone has the same experience.

Sure there was. With the return-times not being enforced you could hoard FastPasses throughout the day and just visit all the attractions at once. You could just go and get more FastPasses for other things as soon as you were able (2 hours after receiving your current one or after the start time on your current one, whichever came first). You didn't have to plan your day around the tickets because the attractions would take them as long as the top time had passed.

Really savvy people would also go to the FP distribution areas and look for machines that the Cast Member had accidentally left on override and would press the button on the back to dispense FastPasses that weren't attached to their ticket. If the Cast Member at distribution was distracted or had their back turned they were none the wiser.

Ya those paper passes were incredibly easy to abuse.

ImperfectPixie

Well, the first part I wouldn't really call "gaming"...but the second part...holy cow.

danheaton

Another big factor in FP Plus versus the Paper FastPass is that the current system covers so many more attractions. Putting FastPass in Spaceship Earth, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and similar attractions has slowed down the crowd flow at all of those attractions. Having people eaters with high capacities (and low waits) was a real draw of Walt Disney World before FastPass Plus.

BigThunderMatt

Well, the first part I wouldn't really call "gaming"...but the second part...holy cow.

It's gaming in the sense that it wasn't actively advertised. You had to be 'in the know' which gave you an unfair advantage over people who thought you had to return within the window. The latter were the same people who would show up 15 minutes before their window opening and hover at the fastpass entrance waiting to be let in (although people still do that now).

mikejs78

Premium Member
Seems hard to believe that 8-10 is a real average. We got 9 per day a couple of days recently but attendance was VERY light. And the prime attractions were gone or have very late return times later in the day.
I was there President's week this year - Crowd level 10 most days. Got about 7-10 FPs per day, including most headliners (FoP, Slinky, 7DMT being the exceptions).

ImperfectPixie

I was there President's week this year - Crowd level 10 most days. Got about 7-10 FPs per day, including most headliners (FoP, Slinky, 7DMT being the exceptions).
That's the thing though...if people are going to WDW and aren't able to ride the new attractions at all, they're going to be disappointed.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

HEY!! You aren't supposed to talk about that!! 🤣

If I'm being 100% honest, I never used a machine in that state to obtain extra FPs that we used, only for a single souvenir FP if I didn't have one from that attraction on that trip (I liked to have a "real" FP and not just insert a ticket and get a "Sorry, you aren't eligible for a FastPass at this time..." one). And to chuckle that someone left the key turned and I happened to notice it. :)

n2hifi

That's the thing though...if people are going to WDW and aren't able to ride the new attractions at all, they're going to be disappointed.
To some degree that is true, especially for those unfamiliar with the system. However, I had a last minute business trip to Orlando early June and took the family. This is the first time I didn't get the FP+'s I wanted because of the late booking. The four of us had one day in MK and rode everything that we wanted including all of the headliners (although BTMR which we did have a FP for was closed). The only things I can think of we skipped are Birds and Bears. We were able to get 7 or 8 day of FP's for everything but super headliners. Not having a FP doesn't preclude riding headliners in my mind, it just requires a bit of thought. I followed Touring Plans recommendations and ended up waiting 15 minutes for SDMT, 20 minutes for HM and 25 minutes for speedway all standby. The only painful one was speedway because I hate that ride.
The next day we did Frozen at Epcot standby with a 25 minute wait and Soarin' walk on at rope drop. In my mind the only negative with FP+ is it makes people think they shouldn't have to wait in line at all.

tissandtully

Maybe all those FPs that show up during the day occur because people miss their FP and the system allows a new one be be created?

As soon as we pass the FP tapstile, I try to move the next FP, which the system forced us to schedule at least an hour away, to a much sooner time. I check, and no luck. I keep checking and within a minute a slot opens up that allows us to go directly to the next attraction when done with the current one.
Yes, Always be refreshing.

SugarMagnolia75

Just to be clear: the reason the old paper FP system "worked better" for knowledgeable folks was because it was highly underutilized by less experienced guests. Many infrequent or one time guests either thought it was a paid system or just were oblivious to it and never used it. Or know about it but didn't understand how to efficiently work the system and maybe got one or two FP a day.

Now Disney advertises the heck of out FP+ and encourages it as part of booking so more people use the system. So more FPs are booked. Leaving fewer available for those who understand how to maximize the system. Admittedly because the new system is pre-booking, it allows for the less aware guests to have more opportunity to actual use it rather than slowly perhaps learn about it during a trip.

If paper FP was as widely used by as many guests, it wouldn't have been as "good" a system for superusers.

It also worked better because it wasn't available on every ride. To make FP+ they added FP on too many attractions at Disney World. MaxPass only works on 10 attractions and one show at Disneyland Park and 7 attractions and one show at DCA.

drizgirl

Just to be clear: the reason the old paper FP system "worked better" for knowledgeable folks was because it was highly underutilized by less experienced guests.
Eh, for some it was vastly better just because it was day of. Nothing was booked ahead of time. If you really wanted a FP for something you got there early and never got closed out. That's the reason we love MaxPass at DLR but hate FP+ at WDW.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Booking day today and can't get slinky at 60 unless you're going for a week. I'm actually hoping at this point I can start paying for fp packages sooner than later since it seems this is inevitable.
The good news is slinky is no big deal...
...the bad news is the wdw consumers are responsible for the state off the parks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom