Vegan/Vegetarian favorites?

JoeRohdesEarring

Being vegan or vegetarian is a lifestyle choice not an allergy. It is very selfish to waste the time of the chef by asking them to come to your table to discuss what is clearly on the menu. Allergies are a different story and the chefs are usually glad to come out and discuss options. My ex husband was a chef at WDW and was infuriated when a vegetarian requested the chef at their table.

Millions of people are vegetarian or vegan for any number of reasons, and not all are by choice (not that it matters what their reasons are anyway - it is their own business). And in my own experience, I have never once asked to speak to the chef at a Disney restaurant - he or she is sent out automatically if something has been noted on the reservation.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Interesting thread. I'm not vegetarian or vegan; however, I enjoy learning about different types of menu options. (Sometimes for variety, it's nice to have a meal that I normally would not order.)

So, for a tasty QS option (I have a limited meal budget, so I don't go to TS locations when I visit WDW, once a year), may I suggest my favorite: the Lighthouse Sandwich at Columbia Harbour House in MK. It's really delicious: on hearty, multigrain, toasted bread, with hummus, and a tomato and broccoli slaw. They also include these awesome chips on the side (they taste homemade, but not sure if they are). :)

Courtney6682

I have been meaning to try the veggie shepherds pie at the sci-fi dine in but haven't gotten around to it yet. We are mostly vegetarian all year plus fish, but we relax our rules on special occasions – and what's more special than eating at Disney World? So while we will still probably eat mostly vegetarian plus fish while we are there, we do have a reservation for the first time at yachtsman steakhouse in a couple of weeks LOL.

The sheperds pie is good!!! Def get it;)

reptar77

The Vegetarian Proclamation at the Liberty tree tavern
14111950381_7a78613ef8_n.jpg

I'm not 100% sure the sandwich is the same now. This picture is from last year. It was really good, I was just surprised that it was fried.

PinnySmart

Millions of people are vegetarian or vegan for any number of reasons, and not all are by choice (not that it matters what their reasons are anyway - it is their own business). And in my own experience, I have never once asked to speak to the chef at a Disney restaurant - he or she is sent out automatically if something has been noted on the reservation.
Again I will state that allergies and lifestyle choices are two completely different things. People expect special treatment at Disney just because it is Disney. I eat meat so I will make sure and have that noted on my next ADR so I can waste the time of a very busy chef by having him come to the table and discuss with me what is already clearly on the menu. It's Disney and Disney loves offering special treatment to me just because they are Disney.

Tony the Tigger

Again I will state that allergies and lifestyle choices are two completely different things. People expect special treatment at Disney just because it is Disney. I eat meat so I will make sure and have that noted on my next ADR so I can waste the time of a very busy chef by having him come to the table and discuss with me what is already clearly on the menu. It's Disney and Disney loves offering special treatment to me just because they are Disney.

I can't believe you think you're making a point.

JoeRohdesEarring

Dude I don't know why you're so pressed about this. No one is trying to take up anyone's valuable time - Disney set the policy of sending a chef out, not me.

The only times I personally say something are for a buffet (because I don't know what is in all of the dishes) and something like 'Ohana (since it is family style & meat-heavy and they have pre-set vegetarian substitutions to bring out). If I know there is something on the restaurant's menu as-is, I don't even mention it because I'm aware that they are busy enough in the kitchen already.

jakeman

If I know there is something on the restaurant's menu as-is, I don't even mention it because I'm aware that they are busy enough in the kitchen already.
If I may wade in here, I think this is where the disconnect is coming from. Seems like there may be a misunderstanding on when the chef is called out. I believe the angst may be coming from the perception of the chef being called out when an option is available just for special treatment or an opportunity for a declaration of a chosen dietary lifestyle.

Remember the joke: "How do you know if someone is a vegan? Don't worry, they'll tell you."

Hockey89

If I may wade in here, I think this is where the disconnect is coming from. Seems like there may be a misunderstanding on when the chef is called out. I believe the angst may be coming from the perception of the chef being called out when an option is available just for special treatment or an opportunity for a declaration of a chosen dietary lifestyle.

Remember the joke: "How do you know if someone is a vegan? Don't worry, they'll tell you."
And how they are better people and more "enlighten"... Yeah, it's a fun group

dreamfinder

I don't think I understand.:confused:

I think they were referring to the fact that several well known chefs don't even listen to requests for entrees that don't contain meat. They make it known that the menu they have printed up is the menu they will serve, no ifs and or buts. WDW on the other hand is well known for trying to accommodate people with alternate dining needs.

Tony the Tigger

OK FWIW:

My personal opinions and attitudes may not reflect the position I take on something, because I understand others may have different valid views.

For me personally, I have been a not-strict vegan + fish for about 20 years - for general health and well-being, not for political or animal-loving or religious reasons. This coming Monday I'l turn 44. My Dad died just after his 45th birthday of a heart attack. He ate a lot of junk and meat, and smoked a lot. His Dad died at 55 of the same thing. I'm trying to be the first man in the family to hit 60.

The "vegan" part comes from having mild asthma. I find that eliminating dairy greatly helps that, and I don't need to take bronchodilators, etc.

DH is not vegan, but also non-strict vegetarian + fish. Side note: he's been type I diabetic since age 10, so I am keenly aware of "choice vs. mandatory" when it comes to dietary restrictions.

We generally eat and enjoy a lot of veggie dishes most of the time. Every once in awhile I'll say screw it and eat some pizza with real cheese (I never really enjoyed cheese in any other setting than on pizza.) Birthdays, holidays, and WDW are reasons to more or less eat whatever we want - although I'll often choose a nice fish dinner over meat because I genuinely enjoy it. I believe balance is important in life. That said, if I'm going to eat meat, I've set the standard for myself that it should be "worth it" and not a fast-food burger, for example.

When choosing a restaurant at WDW or elsewhere, I examine the menu before booking to see if there is that one token vegetarian option and/or one token fish option, or if there are more options than that. When I can, I'll pick the place with more options in our wheelhouse - especially if they have a good appetizer and/or a sugar free or no sugar added dessert.

I have never once mentioned either vegetarian or diabetic restrictions on our reservations except when I have ordered a sugar free cake. I don't generally like a fuss being made, don't need to bother the chef, I can make do with what's on the menu, or I can order something "without the chicken," etc. Many restaurants have come a long way since I was a kid in the 70's with offering more than just pasta primavera.

Now, I can understand someone going to WDW, knowing they make great meals, getting stuck going to a steakhouse because the rest of the family wants to do that, and having the opportunity to ask the chef if there are any non-menu veggie options besides the standard pasta dish. It's nice if a vegetarian can partake of the stellar Disney meal as much as anyone else and not just settle for something. Now, that may be able to be done via a good waiter, but I can see where at times it can be easier for the diner to speak directly with the chef. But I expect, more often, any vegetarians asking to speak with a chef would do so more out of more important reasons like certain things making them sick, certain grill residue, etc. because their lifelong personal choice has led to such sensitivities that their bodies can't handle meat anymore.

My point is - I can see where it is reasonable for some vegetarians to speak with the chef, even if I don't - so it rubs me the wrong way when the ex-wife of a cast member lets on that a chef was so annoyed by such requests. Again, IMO that chef has the wrong job with the wrong company.

And now, I will go back to anticipating my upcoming filet with onions at the Yachstman Steakhouse for our anniversary dinner in less than two weeks. I believe my last filet was at a business Christmas dinner in NJ in the early 1990's LOL.

In the meantime, tonight it's fresh cauliflower with Indian lentil & spices. Very yummy!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
As usual, lets spiral away from the original question about a whats your favorite choice for two particular types of cuisine Vegan or Vegetarian. Not very different that asking about your favorite Japanese, German, or Italian... just there's more argument about what is included or not and there are regional variations. I searched wdwmagic.com for concise information about this and there's not a concise list by park facility of choices for this, but there are several on a competing site (please remove or I'll remove if its its a TOS violation) :

Table Parks
http://allears.net/din/vegtsparks.htm
Counter Service Parks
http://allears.net/din/vegcsparks.htm
Resorts
http://allears.net/din/vegresorts.htm

Current non-biased polling (as in NOT from vegetarian advocacy organizations, but Gallup) show that 5% of the US population consider themselves vegetarian and 2% vegan which has been fairly consistent over time . Its not a large percentage, but Disney has made it a point to at least provide a few choices at most of its WDW locations and those options are available on publicly published menus even though 95% of the US guests are carnivorous. So much for claiming a money grab on this issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom