Value resorts?

phillipsa9

I'm looking to book a trip with some friends and we're trying to save money. My Disney experiences consist of staying at either The Boardwalk or AKL numerous times and once staying at the Hilton in Downtown Disney.

I honestly didn't mind staying off property at all before but it clearly didn't compare to the WDW resorts.

Do you think I'd be disappointed by the Value resorts having only stayed at the Deluxe level? They don't seem quite as "magical" to me. Plus we are in fact adults (adults vacationing in Disney World, yes) The value resorts do seem very geared towards families.

Would I be better off just staying at a $120 a night hotel in DTD?

OR... Should I do Carribbean Beach?

Thanks for your help everyone!

rcapolete

I would say go for the Value. I have stayed twice at the POP Century and thought it was a very nic hotel and will probably stay there again in the future. Like you i have stayed at the Deluxe resorts before and i am doing so again in 2 weeks but it wont stop me from going back to the Value in the future.

Upvote 0

WDWLOYAL1971

I don't think you will be disappointed at all with the value resorts. I've stayed at the All Star Music, the All Star Movies and Pop Century. Our favorite of the values is the Pop. Yes they don't have the glam that the deluxe have but by all means they are all Disney. Have fun!

Upvote 0

bgraham34

If you are going with friends you can book the value. You are not going to be in the room much at all. I am a DVC member and I love my DVC resorts but I need to go down to Orlando in a few weeks for work and I am staying at a value resort. Its just a bed and I wont have time to just lounge.

Upvote 0

erstwo

I've stayed at all levels of Disney resorts and I would much rather be at a Value on Disney property than off property.

I think it's all personal preference, but there is no 'magic' at an off property resort. The magic is still there, even at a Value - Disney music playing, Disney pools, Disney cleanliness in the public areas, etc. Gotta love it! Hope you have a great trip with your friends no matter what you decide! :wave:

Upvote 0

BigNormsMom

I've stayed at the value resorts on property more than I have the others. When two or more families went we got connecting rooms at ASM. For no longer than we were in our rooms and we were there four days, it was fine. The children loved the pool themes and I liked the food court. :wave:

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
There is definitely a hustle and bustle at the values that you won't find at the mods or deluxes. If you want quiet and secluded, I would say no. If you like the busy feeling atmosphere with allot going on, then yes, you will like the values.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
No one chose Caribbean Beach. Is that a bad resort?

I'm thinking of staying there for the first time in Sept.
Personally, I do not care for it. The resort layout is just far too spread out, the interior decor of the rooms is way too kid friendly and there is just noting at all special about the restaurants and entertainment there. I would save the cash and stay at a value before I stay at Caribbean Beach again.

Upvote 0

LeeSeeBabe

Personally, I do not care for it. The resort layout is just far too spread out, the interior decor of the rooms is way too kid friendly and there is just noting at all special about the restaurants and entertainment there. I would save the cash and stay at a value before I stay at Caribbean Beach again.

Regarding Caribbean Beach, I agree with Master Yoda on this one... but there are plenty of CBR lovers on these boards!

There is nothing like staying at a Deluxe, but we rarely do. We'd rather be able to visit WDW more often and stay at Value than save up for a Deluxe. And between off-property and Value: in my opinion, nothing can compared to staying on property REGARDLESS of which resort or which accommodation level you choose!

Upvote 0

erstwo

No one chose Caribbean Beach. Is that a bad resort?

I'm thinking of staying there for the first time in Sept.

I didn't even see the CBR option. Ha!

I respectfully disagree with Master Yoda. :D We loved Carribean Beach when we stayed there last April/ May. It is spread out, but we loved the pools and the common areas.

Upvote 0

Mongomil

The wife and I are headding down for an adult only trip in september. We are gonna stay at Coronado Spring. This will be the first time there. I know its the "convention" resort but that is part of the reason we picked it. It gives deluxe amenities in the rooms. They have a couple of bars there Rix Lounge which is inside with entertainment, and Laguna Bar which is a outdoor lakeside lounge. Also values do not come with a frige where the mods do. The one other thing I noticed about CSR is a $15.00 charge will be added per adult every adult over 2 per room (max 4 adults).

Upvote 0

mbisenius

I've only stayed at Value (Music, Movies, and Pop) and have never traveled with kids. We spend so much time at the parks that it seems like a waste to spend a lot on a room we won't be in much. We've looked at staying off property but I really enjoy the Disney aspects of the value resorts. After staying at Pop last summer, I would definitely recommend that one as well!

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

It is hard to say. Your experience is with hotels. Values are more compared to a motel. There are far more people and far more noise. If you plan on traveling at the busiest times for buses, prepare to wait.

For me, noise does not bother me. Crowds at the resort do not bother me. We enjoy them. I do not need to stay at a higher category resort unless I have the extra money.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Will you be hitting the parks from dawn to dusk, more or less using the room as a place to crash, without a lot of down time?

Is having one or more onsite sit down restaurants, or nice lounges, important to you or anyone in your party?

How many of your friends will be in any given room and will the tight quarters be a problem? Any "couples" because the possibility of sharing beds that size might otherwise inconvenience even the closest of friends.

Do you and your friends enjoy all those little Disney "magical" (for lack of a better word) touches they use in the resorts to make you feel like you're someplace unique, away from your troubles and the real world, etc? Or does anyone want to be "plugged in" to the real world?

Do you need/want a refrigerator (though you can order one for an extra fee at Values)?

Any chance you'll have access to your own transportation, for those times where waiting on line for a Disney bus seems interminable (though of course, if you're offsite, having your own car is much more practical, even if it is more expensive)?

The more "yes" answers to the above questions, the more you'll be OK at a Value.

But if you're still in the planning stages, check out sites like mousesavers.com, for some possible ideas on getting bigger rooms for less money.

Some other different questions

Is anyone in your party a teacher or government employee? If so, you'll be eligible for some potentially great rates at the Swan or the Dolphin. Not Disney resorts per se, but much bigger nicer rooms, you'll have access to Disney transportation (though not Magical Express), walking distance to 2 of the four parks. It's worth the inquiry at least.

Is anyone in your party thinking about going back to WDW within a year's time? If even one person in your party buys an annual pass, you'll be potentially eligible for deep room discounts, unless you're taking advantage of some other offer like free dining that requires you to pay full rack rate for the room. And even if no one is planning to go back within a year, depending on how long THIS trip is, it might be worth everyone ponying up an extra couple of bucks to upgrade one person's ticket (use a lottery system to see who the "lucky" winner is) in order to get the discount.

One other it's-worth-a-shot suggestion - call Disney direct and ask if, during the time you're planning on going, if they have any special promotional offers. Sometimes they offer deep discounts to stay at Old Key West or Saratoga Springs, either of which I'd take any day of the week over a Value.

Upvote 0

gnuts0306

We have stayed at all of the value resorts and POP is by far the best one....the other ones are a good value especially if you wont be in your room long, but POP felt very Disney to us....and we would stay there again....This sept however we are going back to my FAVORITE resort....CARIBBEAN BEACH! We always stayed here with my parents when we were kids and we cant wait to go back!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom