Use of umbrellas in WDW?

disneytati

Lynx04 said:
During the warmer months I actually enjoy getting soaked. Its funny to watch everbody scatter when it stars raining. But they have no problem getting wet on water rides. But then again, some people where ponchos on water rides.

That's funny! I really don't see a point in that. Ok, if you ride Splash Mountain, well, it's much more than a water ride, and than you can wear a poncho. But I've seen people riding Kali River Rapids wearing a poncho, and the point of the ride is getting wet!!!

Lynx04

disneytati said:
That's funny! I really don't see a point in that. Ok, if you ride Splash Mountain, well, it's much more than a water ride, and than you can wear a poncho. But I've seen people riding Kali River Rapids wearing a poncho, and the point of the ride is getting wet!!!
Whenever I see someone wearing a poncho on a ride, I just thinking: Since you went out of your way to put a poncho on so you don't get wet, why don't you just go the rest of the distance and put the rest of the scuba gear on. I am not trying to knock anybody out there about wearing a poncho on a water ride. If it was safe, I could careless if you had your umbrella open on the ride to stop from getting wet. To me I just think that getting wet is part of the fun about riding water ride.

barnum42

I'll admit to having once ridden Splash whilst wearing a poncho - because it was ch__________g down with rain and a lot of it is outdoors :lol:

Re. wearing one on Kali - I don't blame people for doing this. I rode it several times earlier in the year and ejoyed getting a little wet, but on one occasion I could not have become wetter if I jumped into the water.

There is a difference between being splashed and it drying in the sun and being wet and miserable for the rest of the day.

The time I got soaked I was hit full on by the geysers at the top of the lift then to hit the few remaining dry spots I was at the lead of the raft when it hit the bottom of the big drop.

It took about about five or six hours to dry off.

disneytati

I see your point. I don't even ride Kali during the winter. I only like to get wet in the summer, in the winter I usually freeze even when I am dry!

DDuckFan130

We always use ponchos, as hot as it gets under there. They can be a hassle too but we don't get as wet as with an umbrella. My mom did end up buying a Mickey umbrella a couple of years back but that's just because she liked it. So another vote for ponchos from us :D.

DDuckFan130

Lynx04 said:
Whenever I see someone wearing a poncho on a ride, I just thinking: Since you went out of your way to put a poncho on so you don't get wet, why don't you just go the rest of the distance and put the rest of the scuba gear on. I am not trying to knock anybody out there about wearing a poncho on a water ride. If it was safe, I could careless if you had your umbrella open on the ride to stop from getting wet. To me I just think that getting wet is part of the fun about riding water ride.
May I play devil's advocate? :lol: Ok...I myself love to get wet on Splash Mountain, even when it's cold out. Last December it was in the 50s and I just wore my jacket to protect me from the wet and the cold. Anyway, I have had family members in ponchos during this ride. I think that Splash has more to it than just the drop and getting wet, and some people want to experience the other 8 or so minutes of the ride. If they don't want to get wet that's their problem, but don't exclude them from experiencing the entire attraction just because they don't want to get wet and want to wear ponchos. It's not a big deal :lol:

I can't speak for Kali because I only went on it once and all I remember is getting really soaked :lol:.

mrtoad

barnum42 said:
I'll admit to having once ridden Splash whilst wearing a poncho - because it was ch__________g down with rain and a lot of it is outdoors :lol:

Re. wearing one on Kali - I don't blame people for doing this. I rode it several times earlier in the year and ejoyed getting a little wet, but on one occasion I could not have become wetter if I jumped into the water.

There is a difference between being splashed and it drying in the sun and being wet and miserable for the rest of the day.

The time I got soaked I was hit full on by the geysers at the top of the lift then to hit the few remaining dry spots I was at the lead of the raft when it hit the bottom of the big drop.

It took about about five or six hours to dry off.

I totally agree with the Kali thing. I would would wear full rain gear on that if I had it. I don't mind getting splashed but being soaked all the way trhough really stinks. No fun at all getting chaffed (spelling?). It can be a good way to being really uncomfortable for the rest of your trip... :(

Lynx04

DDuckFan130 said:
May I play devil's advocate? :lol: Ok...I myself love to get wet on Splash Mountain, even when it's cold out. Last December it was in the 50s and I just wore my jacket to protect me from the wet and the cold. Anyway, I have had family members in ponchos during this ride. I think that Splash has more to it than just the drop and getting wet, and some people want to experience the other 8 or so minutes of the ride. If they don't want to get wet that's their problem, but don't exclude them from experiencing the entire attraction just because they don't want to get wet and want to wear ponchos. It's not a big deal :lol:

I can't speak for Kali because I only went on it once and all I remember is getting really soaked :lol:.
Yeah, winter is a different story. I went on it a few time in the winter and it isn't real that much fun to be wet in 50-60 degree weather. I remember riding Splash Mountain at night in feb right before the park closed and nobody was in line, they just let us keep going around in our log without getting out and getting back in line.

Cosmo

i know i'm going to get in trouble for this, but we actually make fun of the "poncho people" . We have a game were we try to be the first to spot a "poncho person" at the first sprinkle of rain. There's even a little song (to the music of Ziggy Marley's Tomorrow People. You won't catch me dead in a poncho. Those little folding umbrellas are less than a foot long, fit in a pocket (if you're wearing cargo shorts) and fold up easily when you enter a building so you're not bumping into people in your wet nasty poncho (MAJOR pet peeve). I don't have to struggle getting a poncho on and off, the umbrellas are not hot, and i don't feel like a processed meat product wrapped in plastic.

Even so, we rarely even carry the umbrellas. When it starts to rain, we go in a shop or something and kind of hang out till its over. If we go down on a day where we know its going to rain heavily, we'll carry the umbrellas.

Friends don't let friends wear ponchos. :lol:

disneytati

Lynx04 said:
I remember riding Splash Mountain at night in feb right before the park closed and nobody was in line, they just let us keep going around in our log without getting out and getting back in line.

the same thing happened to me during MCMCP in Dec 2002. It was awesome! I had Splash Mountain all for myself as if it were my toy!!! I rode it three times without leaving the log!!! :sohappy:

PS: I wasn't wearing a poncho, I couldn't find any... So I just wore a hat, and put my head down at the big drop. I got very little wet!

tbell

we just returned from a wet Monday morning, and there were lots of umbrellas and lots of surprised people buying $6 ponchos, fortunately for us the rain only lasted until early afternoon or so..we were walking through Epcot that day and from experience, ponchos would be preferred, since umbrellas block your view and are hazards.... :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom