Use of umbrellas in WDW?

Erika

Sharon L said:
We prefer umbrellas. As others have said, ponchos are just not comfortable, they are so hot and sticky. I also don't think they are as convenient as people tend to believe, since you have to take them off when you go inside a ride or show, and then what do you do with a big, wet piece of plastic?

We roll them up tightly (inside-out) and put them back in the bags they came in, or in a Ziplock. A rolled poncho is not any bigger than an umbrella.

Sharon L said:
We used small umbrellas on our last trip, and they worked out great. They were no more cumbersome than the camera bag I always carry (you would have to carry your poncho somehow anyway). I can't say we had any problems with wind or poking ourselves in the eye either.

:lol: Well, I hope not! I think Tigsmom was talking about being poked in the eye by other people's umbrellas. Umbrellas extend well beyond your body and some people (certainly not all people) don't pay very much attention to where the ends are. When you're in a large crowd setting, and people are getting jostled around, it's easy to be careless, especially if you have kids you're trying to keep an eye on. I've been poked, dripped on, and stabbed enough times to learn to stand far away from anybody with an umbrella.

disneytati

RedBaron said:
We always use the ponchos when we go. It is hands free so you can carry more shopping bags :) Also is one less thing to carry around and loose. Maybe it is just me but I have lost more umbrellas in my life. If i were to carry an umbrella chances are that I would forget it on the first ride.

Hey, it's always nice to find a fellow umbrella-looser around!!! :wave: Does it only happen with umbrellas, or are you just absent-minded like me?

Erika

disneytati said:
Hey, it's always nice to find a fellow umbrella-loser around!!! :wave: Does it only happen with umbrellas, or are you just absent-minded like me?

Red and Tati, I am right there with you. Luckily it seems to be an umbrella-specific affliction. I haven't had trouble with leaving anything else behind (so far).

disneytati

Erika said:
Red and Tati, I am right there with you. Luckily it seems to be an umbrella-specific affliction. I haven't had trouble with leaving anything else behind (so far).

:lol: Well, I've confessed before: it's not just "an umbrella-specific affliction"... I am really absent minded.... I have developed some strategies not to lose my things, like I don't open my purse on the street, while I am walking (my things always fall all over the ground... :lol: ), I use my keys and put them in the purse immediately, I leave home with the bus ticket in my hand, so that I don't have to open my wallet on the bus and have ALL the coins rolling all over the floor... And I don't drive anymore, in respect to my own life and the others' as well. :hammer: :lol:

mrtoad

MrNonacho said:
The vast majority of people use ponchos, probably because Florida's weather is too unpredictable to warrant carrying an umbrella.

Either way, you shouldn't be out in the rain during a thunderstorm. Ponchos won't save you from lightning...

Have there been issues in that area of people getting struck by lightning?

I always use a poncho. I lose umbrellas as well.

disneytati

mrtoad said:
I tried that too, but I scared everyone away. :animwink:

:lol: :lol: Sorry, my statement was a little... well... dubious... :lol: Well, if people get scared, that's good, better than the opposite! I have never tried that, I would call too much attention...

Nicole

I loved having an umbrella. When it is pouring rain, the ponchos don't really help that much. Your face still gets wet and it's hard to see. I'm lucky though that we still get to use a stroller (and no, I have never ever run over anyone) so it's easy to tuck the umbrella in the basket underneath when we aren't using it.

Atta83

NSCMC said:
I loved having an umbrella. When it is pouring rain, the ponchos don't really help that much. Your face still gets wet and it's hard to see. I'm lucky though that we still get to use a stroller (and no, I have never ever run over anyone) so it's easy to tuck the umbrella in the basket underneath when we aren't using it.

Yeah, I always seem to get my face wet when wearing a pancho! Yeah I always stick my umbrella in my backpack with everything else :D

barnum42

David said:
This will probably seem like a silly thread, but looking at the forecast for the next 10 days at WDW, there is a 40% chance of rain on Monday. (Of course, the weather changes day by day, so that 40% may be gone or increased by that time.) In all of our previous trips, there has only been one shower and it took place while we were having dinner at the Brown Derby. Do most people use umbrellas or just poncho's during the showers? We could pack a small one, but it may be more trouble than it's worth to carry along.
I think the percentage means there is a 40% it will rain at some point in the day rather than a 40% chance it will rain all day.

My preference is for poncho - it tucks away in the camera bag and when donned I can use it to protect said camera bag.

disneytati

barnum42 said:
My preference is for poncho - it tucks away in the camera bag and when donned I can use it to protect said camera bag.

Yeah, ponchos are always useful, even if you don't wear them... I don't like wearing ponchos either, I feel sticky and my face gets wet... But it's better than an umbrella... I guess. I don't even have an umbrella, I lost mine and didn't have the time to buy another one! :lol:

MissM

Bleck to ponchos. Go for the little umbrella. Much easier. I agree that ponchos are hot and sweaty and downright annoying to people not wearing them because people are forever leaving wet seats and brushing into your with their wet ponchos and grr.

Umbrellas are where it's at.
-m

ps: The Tampa Bay area holds the record for the most lightning strikes in North America and ranks on the world list even, but, while rainy weather is consistant between the two areas, the lightning isn't as bad in central Florida. (Though I was there this summer, hidding from a torential downpour in Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe when lightning hit The Hall of Presidents across the way. Freaky!)

disneytati

MissM said:
ps: The Tampa Bay area holds the record for the most lightning strikes in North America and ranks on the world list even, but, while rainy weather is consistant between the two areas, the lightning isn't as bad in central Florida. (Though I was there this summer, hidding from a torential downpour in Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe when lightning hit The Hall of Presidents across the way. Freaky!)

Man, that's scary! I don't like lightning at all!!! :eek:

Lynx04

During the warmer months I actually enjoy getting soaked. Its funny to watch everbody scatter when it stars raining. But they have no problem getting wet on water rides. But then again, some people where ponchos on water rides.

RedBaron

disneytati said:
Hey, it's always nice to find a fellow umbrella-looser around!!! :wave: Does it only happen with umbrellas, or are you just absent-minded like me?
I guess I am just worse with umbrellas than other things probably because with an umbrella you lay it on the floor so you dont get the seat wet.
So I guess it is one of those "out of sight out of mind" type things.

disneytati

RedBaron said:
I guess I am just worse with umbrellas than other things probably because with an umbrella you lay it on the floor so you dont get the seat wet.
So I guess it is one of those "out of sight out of mind" type things.

Yeah, you've got a point... Maybe that's why people lose umbrellas so often. But I have to confess that my case is a bit worse... :eek: Last week I spent about 30 minutes looking for my keys. They were in my hand! :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom