USA Disney Park 2024 Projects Thread

Andrew25

Disney Fans: We need a 5th park!
Also Disney Fans at DAK at 11:30AM: Ok we did everything, let's leave!
Also Disney Fans at DHS at 11:30AM: Everything is broken!

I love the enthusiasm behind a 5th park... but current parks are desperate for overhauls/rethemes/expansions. Until DAK can successfully keep guests until 8-9PM daily like DHS/Epcot... we have ways to go before a 5th park ever happens.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

I love the enthusiasm behind a 5th park... but current parks are desperate for overhauls/rethemes/expansions. Until DAK can successfully keep guests until 8-9PM daily like DHS/Epcot... we have ways to go before a 5th park ever happens.
Bingo. I would love for more spreading out of the crowds but you know what they need, more things to do. Imagine that.

Good thing there are plenty of expansion projects and construction already underway. Oh wait.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney will still make a comfortable profit from the Orlando theme parks for years to come, even with EU existing.

Disney is in the last year of a five year project to save their enormous profit from TV (linear content) by having its replacement, i.e., streaming, up and running. If they didn't, then that would truly have fit the definition of 'malfeasance' that so many like to throw around.

The move to streaming required enormous investment and 'loss-leading.' They are on track to profitability in this fiscal year.

So, pouring billions into the Orlando parks to battle EU at the same time wouldn't have been wise. Especially when they're going to be spending about $10B to take full control of Hulu.

But, Disney has told us its plan to spend $60B on parks ($17B in Orlando) in the coming decade. And they can do that, because, starting next year, streaming won't be a loss-leader any more.

Good speech…but it’s not what’s happened or will happen at all.

They will be in full on damage control in LBV by 2026…as universal posts records in attendance and revenue and wdw is even more dependent on the dvc/ap crowd that they have mistaken crapped on in public.

It’s a nice idea you painted though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

There will not be a 5th park and it doesn’t have to do with customer habits…it’s the people required to staff it and the customers bosses vacation policies.

Andrew25

There will not be a 5th park and it doesn’t have to do with customer habits…it’s the people required to staff it and the customers bosses vacation policies.
Yes, but I didn't want to bother writing a paragraph lol

Multiple factors prevent a 5th gate from occurring, both from a guest and non-guest-facing perspective. While the current parks are crowded, that doesn't mean there's room for improvement to improve those issues.

Most guests leave DAK early in the afternoon and park hop. If DAK were to have enough attractions to keep people there later in the day, it'll prevent them from hopping over to Epcot for a late night dinner or DHS to watch Fantasmic.

Not too mention, people have limited vacation days and have to remain strict with their budgets. That's why I'm very surprised, that while nobody is skipping out WDW entirely, Disney isn't being aggressive on adding stuff to the parks as Universal takes away more guests from WDW.

Epic won't "destroy" WDW, but it'll certainly help Universal take away more days from WDW.

plutofan15

Good speech…but it’s not what’s happened or will happen at all.

They will be in full on damage control in LBV by 2026…as universal posts records in attendance and revenue and wdw is even more dependent on the dvc/ap crowd that they have mistaken crapped on in public.

It’s a nice idea you painted though.
Actually regarding the expense of starting streaming services and the timeline to profitability, he is very close to be being accurate.
I am curious. Besides being a self proclaimed fanboy expert in all things Disney who believes his opinions are gospel and beyond reproach, what exactly are your qualifications for your vast "knowledge"? Besides, of course, being a frequent visitor of the parks. And before I am accused of being blindly pro Disney, rest assured that I am not. I will acknowledge the mistakes and missteps they have made in my opinion. I have more than enough reasons to blindly hate the company more than most. But I will also acknowledge the things that they do well. I eagerly await your reply. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lirael

Not too mention, people have limited vacation days and have to remain strict with their budgets. That's why I'm very surprised, that while nobody is skipping out WDW entirely, Disney isn't being aggressive on adding stuff to the parks as Universal takes away more guests from WDW.

Epic won't "destroy" WDW, but it'll certainly help Universal take away more days from WDW.
I think people forget this when they think "oh Epic is no danger to disney, people will come for that and then check out disney while they're in orlando"

People have limited vacation days. Not everyone can take a car in the weekday and check out the parks. If Universal presents more/better/new stuff to do compared to wdw, people will start prioritizing those and decreasing disney time as a result

And then there's budgets. Not everyone is willing to pay, or can afford, to pay for all these parks, especially when tickets only ever go up every year. If I was someone with budget constraints, after 2025 I'd start thinking which disney park I'd be dropping because EU will be a must

Oh yes, and more to do at Universal means staying at a Universal resort starts to look much better than staying at Disney. Especially since prices are (for now) a bit better (at least the Universal cheapest resorts, Surfside and Dockside are cheaper than the All Stars)

J4546

Original Poster
Yes, but I didn't want to bother writing a paragraph lol

Multiple factors prevent a 5th gate from occurring, both from a guest and non-guest-facing perspective. While the current parks are crowded, that doesn't mean there's room for improvement to improve those issues.

Most guests leave DAK early in the afternoon and park hop. If DAK were to have enough attractions to keep people there later in the day, it'll prevent them from hopping over to Epcot for a late night dinner or DHS to watch Fantasmic.

I agree, Me and GF already split Florida trips between disney and universal already with Epcot, AK, IoA and Volcano bay. But I am from LA and have access to all the CA Disney park offerings and Universal so the DHS and MK are not a big draw for me as most of those parks experiences are in CA already. whne EU opens we will def be adding that to the mix

Andrew25

The only thing that might help take away a bit of the "sting" from Epic is that Universal is considering blocking out (or not even selling) APs with Epic Universe not being included for the first few months ala what happened with SWGE over at Disneyland.

It'll backfire if Universal chooses that path, we'll see what happens.

plutofan15

We got a new “laugh emoji guy”…how delightful.
Yep - when discussing a 5th gate you said that a 5th gate would not happen because of "the customers bosses vacation policies." The customers of a 5th park would be the guests attending said park. In what world would anybody's vacation policy prevent a person from visiting a theme park??? Your statement makes no sense thus the laughing emoji. Sorry to offend.

Andrew25

Yep - when discussing a 5th gate you said that a 5th gate would not happen because of "the customers bosses vacation policies." The customers of a 5th park would be the guests attending said park. In what world would anybody's vacation policy prevent a person from visiting a theme park??? Your statement makes no sense thus the laughing emoji. Sorry to offend.
Limited days available for vacation. Once Epic opens, Orlando will have 8 dry parks, not including Busch Gardens over in Tampa or the 5 water parks in Orlando. People don't have the time, or money, to visit ALL parks in one visit.

plutofan15

Limited days available for vacation. Once Epic opens, Orlando will have 8 dry parks, not including Busch Gardens over in Tampa or the 5 water parks in Orlando. People don't have the time, or money, to visit ALL parks in one visit.
Really? So theme park operators are not going to build parks/attractions because some companies might limit the amount of vacation time that employees can take at one time? I would argue that the amount of parks/attractions in the central Florida area has exceeded what can be visited in one trip long ago. The cost of trying to visit everything in one trip is certainly a concern. In my opinion that concern way down the list. Your opinion may vary.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually regarding the expense of starting streaming services and the timeline to profitability, he is very close to be being accurate.
I am curious. Besides being a self proclaimed fanboy expert in all things Disney who believes his opinions are gospel and beyond reproach, what exactly are your qualifications for your vast "knowledge"? Besides, of course, being a frequent visitor of the parks. And before I am accused of being blindly pro Disney, rest assured that I am not. I will acknowledge the mistakes and missteps they have made in my opinion. I have more than enough reasons to blindly hate the company more than most. But I will also acknowledge the things that they do well. I eagerly await your reply. :rolleyes:

That’s what Iger and chapek have told you…is it true? We’re gonna find out soon.

There is a big stream cost…but not typical business costs…it’s not equipment, labor and benefits…it’s content.

The example here is Netflix…who only started turning profits around 5 years ago when they went full in on original content. In 2019 they spent 300% of all their other streaming competitors combined. They spent more to make some profits.

And it worked but that’s not what Disney is doing. You think they’ll spend $50 billion on content? Or Lizzie McGuire reruns while trying to charge $39.99 with ads?

They already answered. When some rat in a nametag tells you who they are…believe them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
See below

Yep…and I learned that info the old fashioned way…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Really? So theme park operators are not going to build parks/attractions because some companies might limit the amount of vacation time that employees can take at one time? I would argue that the amount of parks/attractions in the central Florida area has exceeded what can be visited in one trip long ago. The cost of trying to visit everything in one trip is certainly a concern. In my opinion that concern way down the list. Your opinion may vary.

You were already told why…

Are you knew to disneydom? Am I REALLY gonna have to explain the history of the compound and park cannibalization?

Ok…like spaceballs…the short, short version:

More parks would not grow attendance above the greater travel environment…it would instead force most consumers to divide limited resources and time amongst more options…which then would make all overhead less utilized and inefficient.

Comprende?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

A 5th gate would cannibalize the other 4 parks (not to mention the staffing, land, and infrastructure needs). You aren't new to this game - unless you took a 14 year vacation ala. The Eagles, you should have read the dozens of posts about it over the years.

The current parks model was based on a 7-day vacation, 8 days if one wants to stretch it. You can sit here and fixate on vacation policies if you want, but the fact of the matter is WDW, as it stands these days, was and is structured for a 7-day vacation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom