US Cinemas Are Reopening Slowly.

Tony Perkis

The ONLY reason it will make any money is because it will be the ONLY movie out there and even then it won‘t make much.
I’m not convinced it entices them to open. WB is making Inception available on the 14th for theatres that want to reopen. That may actually gross more if released on the same weekend.

Prince-1

I’m not convinced it entices them to open. WB is making Inception available on the 14th for theatres that want to reopen. That may actually gross more if released on the same weekend.

I remember when Russell Crowe was a big star. Now he just looks big.

BrianLo

I really thought Mulan would move to the October time slot Wonder Woman now occupies. Mid August is a traditionally very weak time, even the first weekend of August has rarely found success to the level they were expecting out of Mulan.

I also can't imagine Disney wants to be the leader on releasing the first tentpole post-reopening. Sure there will be a huge lack of things to see, but honestly New Mutants would be the perfect first release. Mid range, low expectations, it would probably over perform by being the only thing.

Mouse Trap

I really thought Mulan would move to the October time slot Wonder Woman now occupies. Mid August is a traditionally very weak time, even the first weekend of August has rarely found success to the level they were expecting out of Mulan.

I also can't imagine Disney wants to be the leader on releasing the first tentpole post-reopening. Sure there will be a huge lack of things to see, but honestly New Mutants would be the perfect first release. Mid range, low expectations, it would probably over perform by being the only thing.

Black Widow would probably have to get pushed back for that to happen and then another domino effect for the entire Marvel slate.

BrianLo

Black Widow would probably have to get pushed back for that to happen and then another domino effect for the entire Marvel slate.

True! I meant pre-WW moving though. Black Widow probably was better off competing with Mulan over Wonder Woman.

Beijing is also closing theatres again, I actually have limited faith that theatres are really truly going to be able to resume to the extent that the Fall schedule demands. Not that they absolutely cannot in many locations, but they seem pretty skittish about releasing movies with limited theatre capacity and closed regions.

The studios would be better off focusing their efforts on their mid-tier films, launching a tentpole might not be a thing at this rate.

Mouse Trap

True! I meant pre-WW moving though. Black Widow probably was better off competing with Mulan over Wonder Woman.

Beijing is also closing theatres again, I actually have limited faith that theatres are really truly going to be able to resume to the extent that the Fall schedule demands. Not that they absolutely cannot in many locations, but they seem pretty skittish about releasing movies with limited theatre capacity and closed regions.

The studios would be better off focusing their efforts on their mid-tier films, launching a tentpole might not be a thing at this rate.

Europe on the contrary is already moving full speed ahead with opening theaters and/or some countries are already open.

Judging by the obscene amount of people I saw packing into the bars I walked by last night I don’t think people are going to be as afraid to hit the movies as some think. A huge majority of people just don’t care. People in the US like to pretend they’re being heroes and super cautious online, but the reality is people really aren’t trying as much as they should. Yes, I’m guilty as well... I made my way to the gym which was also quite packed yesterday.

Obviously though there is more at play than this. The first few films to be released will certainly have it rough as people want to “wait and see”.

Darkprime

Black Widow and other movies might be released early at the NBA games. A lot of people are gonna be hungry for new content when cinemas open up again and they'd make a lot of profit with this surprising move.

Just to clarify. its for NBA players who are staying at Walt Disney World. But perhaps they could be testing the waters for a VOD release maybe getting some feed back how the movie looks on a tv. But more likely its just a marketing move. Expect a bunch of the players to tweet out non spoiler reactions after theyve watched the movie to hype it up.

Tony Perkis

Just to clarify. its for NBA players who are staying at Walt Disney World. But perhaps they could be testing the waters for a VOD release maybe getting some feed back how the movie looks on a tv. But more likely its just a marketing move. Expect a bunch of the players to tweet out non spoiler reactions after theyve watched the movie to hype it up.
Or it’s a gesture of goodwill, since the players will effectively be trapped for 3 months.

erasure fan1

A huge majority of people just don’t care. People in the US like to pretend they’re being heroes and super cautious online, but the reality is people really aren’t trying as much as they should.
That's an understatement. I'm not sure if people think they are actually trying or just don't give a flip. Most likely a combination of both. Lol

Darkprime

Honestly. I think Mulan will get delayed to February next year and take Shang-Chi's old release date of Feb 12th. And the MCU slate will get pushed back once more.

Darkprime

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom