US Cinemas Are Reopening Slowly.

Tony Perkis

What the??? Masks not needed in the movie theatre ???

We must wear masks in the heat, rain humidity at WDW but sitting in the beautiful, cool dark...... Zzzzzz.. , oh sorry, I fell asleep there.

Where was I, but sitting in the beautiful, cool, dark, AC air circulated, INDOOR, enclosed movie theatre, MASKS NOT NEEDED?

I am confused.
Hard to enforce if they're still going to sell concessions, which they obviously will.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm clearly referring to the primary brands: Regal, Cinemark, AMC, Alamo Drafthouse. It's great that drive-ins could operate, but they're too far and few between overall to say theatres are open in any meaningful way.

Theatres won't take Trolls: World Tour. That is damaged goods for theatres and really a point of contention for them.
You ask the following, which is really what I was answering in that drive-ins are opened playing older content and are packed:

With what content?

As for Trolls: World Tour, again I have to reference the drive-ins, they have been playing it. So I don't see why Cinemark or AMC wouldn't play older films like Trolls: WT until Tenant, Mulan and WW1984 become available.

Tony Perkis

You ask the following, which is really what I was answering in that drive-ins are opened playing older content and are packed:

As for Trolls: World Tour, again I have to reference the drive-ins, they have been playing it. So I don't see why Cinemark or AMC wouldn't play older films like Trolls: WT until Tenant, Mulan and WW1984 become available.
Drive-ins typically aren't members of the movie exhibitors organizations, which are furious with Universal for releasing Trolls: World Tour directly to streaming services. AMC and Cinemark have already boycotted upcoming Universal films, and while I don't think that mandate will stick in the future, it has doomed World Tour from enjoying any sort of theatrical success.

Because their disconnect from the rest of the exhibitors, drive-ins don't have to nor need to follow their lead. Additionally, they're considering boutique theatres, which gives them much more leeway on what they can show.

cjack300zx

No word on when movie theaters will open in my neck of the woods, I miss it a lot. We have been going to the movies every week now for several years until the pandemic closed them down.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Drive-ins typically aren't members of the movie exhibitors organizations, which are furious with Universal for releasing Trolls: World Tour directly to streaming services. AMC and Cinemark have already boycotted upcoming Universal films, and while I don't think that mandate will stick in the future, it has doomed World Tour from enjoying any sort of theatrical success.

Because their disconnect from the rest of the exhibitors, drive-ins don't have to nor need to follow their lead. Additionally, they're considering boutique theatres, which gives them much more leeway on what they can show.

Well I can't speak about the entire chain, but at least at my local Cinemark (close friends with the GM) will be showing Trolls: WT upon reopening on July 1st while they wait for Tenant.

So I don't know what the other theaters will be doing, but at least some will be "crossing the line" I suspect just like my local theater.

Prince-1

There is still a very god chance that Tenet will moved to a later date if many of the bog chains do not reopen. Time will tell.

Mouse Trap

TriStar announced today they are opening The Broken Hearts Gallery on July 10th. Good news for theaters when a production co is moving ANYTHING up.

brodie999

Original Poster
TriStar announced today they are opening The Broken Hearts Gallery on July 10th. Good news for theaters when a production co is moving ANYTHING up.
Yeah, let's hope movies like Marvel's Phase 4 movies will be moved up if enough people go watch it and Tenet. Every day, we're starting to become more hopeful and safer.

Darkprime

Cinemas are reopening here in NZ on Friday. Most are playing movies from before lockdown but there's some movies from various studios vault. Inception,Interstellar, The Hobbit trilogy and the matrix from WB, 1917 from Universal and The Rise of Skywalker from Disney and Ford V Ferrari from Fox.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

Cinemas are reopening here in NZ on Friday. Most are playing movies from before lockdown but there's some movies from various studios vault. Inception,Interstellar, The Hobbit trilogy and the matrix from WB, 1917 from Universal and The Rise of Skywalker from Disney and Ford V Ferrari from Fox.
People want to rewatch 1917?

brodie999

Original Poster
I have my doubts based on the super sketchiness of the source.

I also have no clue who the hell they are. Your headline makes it seem super sarcastic.
I'm not being sarcastic. It's a movie theatre chain owned by Cinemark Holdings Inc. Their source seem to be telling the truth.

“We’ve been in close contact with Warner Bros. and they remain optimistic and positive as well as Christopher Nolan about the July 17 opening,” said Zoradi this morning in response to a question from analyst Eric Handler about the pic’s release. This despite the fact that New York and Los Angeles have yet to set a date for the reopening of movie theaters."

“Of course, it depends on the continued positive movement due to the decline of COVID-19 and government restrictions being reduced,” added the exhibition boss.

Prince-1

If Tenet is delayed, AMC will be sold off.

My guess is that it will be pushed back. They will not want this movie to bomb and if you do not have a large percentage of theaters opening in time they will get exactly this. I am sure they want to release it but they won't.

Tony Perkis

My guess is that it will be pushed back. They will not want this movie to bomb and if you do not have a large percentage of theaters opening in time they will get exactly this. I am sure they want to release it but they won't.
I tend to agree, and the ripple effect will mean Mulan gets delayed again as well.

Mouse Trap

Lights are being turned back on at studios that have furloughed staff. There's lots of movement happening right now. I can't speak for Tenet specifically, but the studio marketing machine is being kicked back on for films to hit cinemas very soon.

Prince-1

Lights are being turned back on at studios that have furloughed staff. There's lots of movement happening right now. I can't speak for Tenet specifically, but the studio marketing machine is being kicked back on for films to hit cinemas very soon.

Yes the entertainment industry is getting back to work but that doesn't help the theaters as most movies have been pushed back and I do not think the studios will change the dates once again. You may see a few smaller movies released but potential blockbuster films will remain delayed. They would rather delay the openings then release it and it bombs because not enough theaters are open and that people do not return even when they do.

Mouse Trap

Yes the entertainment industry is getting back to work but that doesn't help the theaters as most movies have been pushed back and I do not think the studios will change the dates once again. You may see a few smaller movies released but potential blockbuster films will remain delayed. They would rather delay the openings then release it and it bombs because not enough theaters are open and that people do not return even when they do.

You're misunderstanding. Studios would not be calling back theatrical marketing, promotions, publicity and distribution staff if plans to release films were not imminent. If nothing of significance was going to hit theaters until October these people would not be needed yet.

Prince-1

You're misunderstanding. Studios would not be calling back these staff if plans to release films were not imminent. If nothing of significance was going to hit theaters until September or October these people would not be needed yet.

Oh I understand. I do not think studios are going to change the dates of the films that were already moved to later this year and to 2021 once again. You will see some smaller budgeted films come out and films that weren't moved at all but large budgeted movies won't come back this summer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom