News Upscale Walt Disney World experiences packaged under the new 'Crown Collection by Disney'

Joebradley62

Just a comment...Disney has a wonderful platform to do magical miracles! They could use it to promote all inclusiveness between the social groups or they can highlight and 'market' it! Those that are being 'marketed' will not have a beef about it, but those that will feel they are being left out will and should complain. Walt's vision for a park where families could come and enjoy is not being followed. He did not say those families that can afford it are the only ones that can come and play...he said all families! No matter your financial status. Back in the day Disney was NOT a playground for the wealthy. Lately not so much. Remember, it was the wealthy that ruined the Disability Pass program for those who needed it! It was once thing to get a pass so you could get on as many rides as possible, but when you RENT a person with a disability for the same purpose is WRONG!
I am pretty sure he never mentioned anything about no matter your financial status. It was never a free vacation and even then there were people that could not afford it. It is a huge, huge vacation resort destination and it costs money. Nobody is forced to go and Disney owes no one anything. Walt Dianey was a businessman as well and knew what he was doing.

Joebradley62

The reason I'm nancy negative on the Crown and also Dessert Partypolosa is I don't think they are good values. You see people will low budgets buying into these and it makes me sick. We should be vocal about this. Don't fall into peer pressure and FOMO! Let's make fun of bloggers who buy into this stuff!

But as far as it being fair, the only things we should be critical about are things where paying more gives you priority over other guests. Honestly it's very minor offenses though:
  • the VIP service that takes you onto any ride you want
  • $150 for 3 extra fast passes
  • events taking up good Illuminations viewing areas
  • the deluxe bus stops being closer
  • maybe some others
Where does anything say it's fair. Everything works this way. You pay more you get more, basically. Not always of course but generally speaking. Seats near the front at the stage cost more, first class air costs more. It is marketing.

ThatMouse

Where does anything say it's fair. Everything works this way. You pay more you get more, basically. Not always of course but generally speaking. Seats near the front at the stage cost more, first class air costs more. It is marketing.

Everything does not work the way concerts and airlines work. Amusement parks typically work by forming lines everywhere - first come first serve. Even FastPasses are pretty fair, except when they give some people an extra 30 days to make them and like I listed there the paying for extra fastpasses is something we should scrutinize. It's ok to complain when things are not fair.

Naplesgolfer

Everything does not work the way concerts and airlines work. Amusement parks typically work by forming lines everywhere - first come first serve. Even FastPasses are pretty fair, except when they give some people an extra 30 days to make them and like I listed there the paying for extra fastpasses is something we should scrutinize. It's ok to complain when things are not fair.
Club level rooms get 3 more FP for paying more. Club 33 gets 16 FP per person per day by paying more. VIP tours get unlimited FP for 10 people by paying more.

VaderTron

Perfect! So instead of fixing the constant problems with the website and Disney App they instead rebrand it as belonging to the lower and middle classes and create a high-quality, working version (Crown Package App coming soon) for the upper class. (Yes, now we finally have cyber class distinctions. Thank you Disney!)

Seriously, though, if this new portion of the website is maintained the same way as the rest the almost-one-percent better have their personal assistant caring for the booking. Otherwise they won't put up with the content bugs, crashes, and slow loading.

VaderTron

Forcibly separated? No, it's completely voluntary. There's no credit check or net worth standard to be met, anyone who chooses to pay the prices for each product is admitted. Disney is a business, not a social welfare agency. That said, they also are quite involved in philanthropy, but have to have to generate sufficient profit to sustain it. In 2018, Disney gave more than $332.8 million to nonprofit organizations helping kids, families, and communities in need through charitable cash giving, in-kind contributions, and public service announcements.

If charitable contributions were not tax deductible this amount of "philanthropic" contributions would miraculously (dare I say "magically"?) disappear. The money should be paid to taxes, but by diverting it to organizations that claim to help children or the poor they get a free PR boost and can pat themselves on the back. Win-win for Disney, but it does nothing to establish them as a warm-hearted champion of benevolence.

VaderTron

My point is that "Why does Disney feel like it has to put a price on EVERYTHING!?" When they do this it blocks out a certain group of people from participating! Like another posts said its interesting to see who 'pays for special events' that can be otherwise done in the parks at the regular admission price!? It seems Disney makes up Ticket events to get more money out of their guests, but I guess they figure if there are guests that will pay it, why not!

Funny how the term "guest" has been so violently "reimagined". While many lodging establishments have long ago hollowed it out as a kinder word for "paying customer" the true meaning of "guest" is someone who is invited to receive and enjoy hospitality by a host. The term "hospitality" includes a friendly reception of strangers, visitors, or guests with kindness and a welcoming spirit. The word engenders an idea of the host serving the visitors and sharing much of the financial burden, if not all, in order to do so.

I understand that Disney is a business. So if they are not interested in treating me like a guest and instead want a business relationship then call us what we are, customers or clients.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Tickets, resorts and food get more expensive all the time, now they are heavily advertising their new luxury packages. Also, with their new changes in the credit cards policy, it shows that WDW wants to cater to groups that can spend much more on their vacations, than their life-long fans.
Again, there is not one single item or package that is new. Every single one of them was available prior to this, and not one of them has had a price increase because of it. We do the spas every single trip and we've done the chef's table at V&As. Being DVC, we stay at a deluxe resort every single trip. We are not wealthy by any means, but can easily afford a few extras on each trip. Oh, and I've been going to WDW since 1978 - and not as a child, but as an adult already, so we are definitely life-long fans.

ThatMouse

Club level rooms get 3 more FP for paying more. Club 33 gets 16 FP per person per day by paying more. VIP tours get unlimited FP for 10 people by paying more.

All that is OK, since it's not enough 'Crown' people to impact other guests. What's not fair is perhaps offsite guests not getting the 60 day window to even book a worthwhile fastpass.

VaderTron

Again, there is not one single item or package that is new. Every single one of them was available prior to this, and not one of them has had a price increase because of it. We do the spas every single trip and we've done the chef's table at V&As. Being DVC, we stay at a deluxe resort every single trip. We are not wealthy by any means, but can easily afford a few extras on each trip. Oh, and I've been going to WDW since 1978 - and not as a child, but as an adult already, so we are definitely life-long fans.

Half the population of the U.S. earns $30,000 or less a year. The poverty line for a family of 4 is $25,100. So, clearly when you say "we are not wealthy by any means" all that is saying is that you are not part of the elite 1%. However, knowing the cost of all those things you mentioned (DVC, V&A chef table, and spa services) on TOP of park tickets/passes, souvenirs, and dining (on nights you don't go to V&A), trust me. You have money. Way more than half the people in the U.S. Maybe more than 2/3rds....or even 3/4ths.

As far as "not one single item is new" that is only technically true in that nothing previously unannounced was revealed on the Crown web page (yet). However, several of the offerings are new in that they just were opened/announced within the past few years such as Club 33 at multiple parks in Disney World, more Delicious Disney dining events starting in 2016 and ramping up further in 2017, as well as Disney's Riviera Resort (which Disney has decided to bar access for anyone who buys a resale DVC membership...you know...someone who is a Disney fan but really doesn't have a lot of money.) which won't open until fall. The point of what many are saying is not, "Hey, we don't want people with money to have special things to enjoy spending it on!" What we are saying is that Disney's constant focus of late is on promoting, enhancing and creating elite offerings at the expense of the formerly free or lower-cost extras, and it's quite distasteful. 1. If Disney decides they want to hold special parties in the evenings that patrons must pay for in addition to their park ticket, that is fine. But continue to offer EMH at the parks that are not having a party that night so that lower income "guests" have something fun to do. The fancy pants party can keep their $100 soft-serve ice cream and popcorn (the one I get refilled in my popcorn bucket for $2). But don't just eliminate the evening EMH. 2. If people want to buy DVC from an owner, then let them have all the rights of a DVC owner who bought direct from Disney. If you think resale buyers aren't paying enough then exercise your right of first refusal. Otherwise, shut up and quit restricting their enjoyment of a service that puts them in your compound in which you are almost guaranteed they will spend hundreds more on food and fun. Besides, you already got your money from the original owner. Move on. 3. If people want to pay hundreds of dollars so they can ride Avatar 6 times in a row, let them. But why does Disney have to charge me a parking fee on top of my room charge when I stay at the All-Star resort? I clearly am on a budget if I'm staying here. Get your money from the people who are begging you to take it. They aren't going to be staying at the All-star anyway. So, go find them at the Deluxe resorts and find new and interesting ways of swindling them out of their money, but let the rest of us enjoy Disney the way we have in the past.

Last edited:

VaderTron

All that is OK, since it's not enough 'Crown' people to impact other guests. What's not fair is perhaps offsite guests not getting the 60 day window to even book a worthwhile fastpass.

The 60-day window is already a joke. We have some friends from up north that wanted us to go to Disney with them so bad they got us a hotel room on-site so we could be together. 60 days prior to our visit I got on my computer and checked Fastpasses at 7am (yes exactly at 7am. In fact I was online 5 min early to be sure.) and there were NO Fastpasses for Avatar or Slinky Dog. I checked for a Fastpass for just 1 person, and there were still zero. NOT ONE!!! For any of the days we were staying! I called and complained. Obviously the phone agent can't do anything about it, but I made it clear why I felt it was unreasonable. I expressed that there was no value left in staying on site, and explained that, even though I could stay several nights a year on-site, I choose not to. I even told her I tried to talk my friends out of it this time, but they wanted to stay on-site because one family member had mobility issues and might need to go back and forth from the hotel during the day. They wanted her to be on internal transportation. Outside of this unique trip, we stay elsewhere, and I know from other comments that I am not unique in this. In May my wife's family is going down to Disney for a reunion. We are talking about a huge group. We are all staying off-site. That's money Disney lost for being stupid. Not only are we not paying for a room, but we won't be eating breakfast and/or dinner at a resort we are not staying at. On our way to the place we are staying there are hundreds of non-Disney restaurants and grocery stores. That's where we will be spending our food money. So more lost revenue for Disney.

In the end, Disney loses and we lose. Disney may feel they are doing fine because their revenue is up due to some of these price increases and alterations of services and benefits to cut costs and bolster income. However, it could be done in a way that allowed a co-existence of the fancy pants people and the regular, long-time Disney fans. They could have the rich people's money and my money. Maybe they would have to take less of my money, but the last time I checked $300 is more than $0.

eliza61nyc

The 60-day window is already a joke. We have some friends from up north that wanted us to go to Disney with them so bad they got us a hotel room on-site so we could be together. 60 days prior to our visit I got on my computer and checked Fastpasses at 7am (yes exactly at 7am. In fact I was online 5 min early to be sure.) and there were NO Fastpasses for Avatar or Slinky Dog. I checked for a Fastpass for just 1 person, and there were still zero. NOT ONE!!! For any of the days we were staying! I called and complained. Obviously the phone agent can't do anything about it, but I made it clear why I felt it was unreasonable. I expressed that there was no value left in staying on site, and explained that, even though I could stay several nights a year on-site, I choose not to. I even told her I tried to talk my friends out of it this time, but they wanted to stay on-site because one family member had mobility issues and might need to go back and forth from the hotel during the day. They wanted her to be on internal transportation. Outside of this unique trip, we stay elsewhere, and I know from other comments that I am not unique in this. In May my wife's family is going down to Disney for a reunion. We are talking about a huge group. We are all staying off-site. That's money Disney lost for being stupid. Not only are we not paying for a room, but we won't be eating breakfast and/or dinner at a resort we are not staying at. On our way to the place we are staying there are hundreds of non-Disney restaurants and grocery stores. That's where we will be spending our food money. So more lost revenue for Disney.

In the end, Disney loses and we lose. Disney may feel they are doing fine because their revenue is up due to some of these price increases and alterations of services and benefits to cut costs and bolster income. However, it could be done in a way that allowed a co-existence of the fancy pants people and the regular, long-time Disney fans. They could have the rich people's money and my money. Maybe they would have to take less of my money, but the last time I checked $300 is more than $0.
But is that really true? is it money lost? so I have a friend that has a bar/restaurant near Madison square garden. He does not want the customer who's going to come in, order water or one drink. He wants the guys that are coming in after a rangers game and drop loads of money being the big man on campus.

So while your 300 is gone, there is someone to replace you that will drop 500 bucks. Now I totally agree there are probably ways that all income levels could have existed and really I don't think these things being offered in anyway harms any other income level because if you are on a more restrained budget, most likely you aren't thinking of doing these things. but let's look at it this way, right now the economy is good, the fact remains that people do have more disposable income and they are feeling good about freely spending, so they will get the folks who are going to drop money for the extras. why do you think they keep scheduling these after hour party's? they are selling. I'm not an insider but I bet if those things were not selling, they wouldn't be scheduling them like they do.

I don't think there is a big chance that Disney will proverbial "shoot itself in the foot", there is always going to be those that feel it's getting crazy expensive. I sure it's a continuous thing

lol this was an invent my brother took his granddaughters to when we went in 2017, I thought he was insane $500 bucks to drink tea with the fairygod mother??? but their his grandbabies. he is most definitely not rich.

Last edited:

Naplesgolfer

Generally you need to check on the 4th or 5th day of your stay to get the most in demand fast passes. People with longer stays that over lap your stay, already booked their passes for your first 3 days before you. Not really Disney's fault.

Last edited:

VaderTron

But is that really true? is it money lost? so I have a friend that has a bar/restaurant near Madison square garden. He does not want the customer who's going to come in, order water or one drink. He wants the guys that are coming in after a rangers game and drop loads of money being the big man on campus.

So while your 300 is gone, there is someone to replace you that will drop 500 bucks. Now I totally agree there are probably ways that all income levels could have existed and really I don't think these things being offered in anyway harms any other income level because if you are on a more restrained budget, most likely you aren't thinking of doing these things. but let's look at it this way, right now the economy is good, the fact remains that people do have more disposable income and they are feeling good about freely spending, so they will get the folks who are going to drop money for the extras. why do you think they keep scheduling these after hour party's? they are selling. I'm not an insider but I bet if those things were not selling, they wouldn't be scheduling them like they do.

I don't think there is a big chance that Disney will proverbial "shoot itself in the foot", there is always going to be those that feel it's getting crazy expensive. I sure it's a continuous thing

That theory works if you have limited space (such as the bar example you used) and there is someone waiting to take your place. But we are talking about Disney, a place with an astronomical amount of room for people of all kinds. There is plenty of room for both fancy and standard patrons at Disney. As I said before, no one with big money wants to stay at the All-star or Pop Century. So, who am I replaced with? Based on the fact that there are still rooms available tonight (a night I was considering staying because I am going to the park tomorrow) at two All-Star hotels for $125 a night, All-Star Music for $112 a night, and Pop Century for $131 a night I would say NO ONE has replaced my money. It looks like no one has replaced others like me that will not stay onsite anymore until value is restored to the "privilige". In fact, Disney is practically begging their passholders to come stay at their hotels by lowering their prices to those numbers day-of. The fact that it's after 6pm I don't think it's working. That is money that will be lost. Add that up, day after day. That's money lost, no matter how you want to slice it.

One big issue is, there are only so many people with lots of money that actually are interested in Disney World. Of that number how many want to go over and over again? Especially since much of Disney doesn't really scream "luxury". There are increased offerings, but honestly there are much more interesting places to go and things to do for a person who has lots of money than to return multiple times a year to Disney. Is there a group who fit in that mold? Yes. Is there a long list of the elite on a waiting list just hoping they can spend weeks at Disney, year after year? No. So, up front Disney may not feel the financial results of their isolation of their larger customer base. However, over time it will become more obvious as the rich move on to the next thing that catches their fancy and the price gets pushed out of the reach of even more of the modest income Disney World attendees.

eliza61nyc

That theory works if you have limited space (such as the bar example you used) and there is someone waiting to take your place. But we are talking about Disney, a place with an astronomical amount of room for people of all kinds. There is plenty of room for both fancy and standard patrons at Disney. As I said before, no one with big money wants to stay at the All-star or Pop Century. So, who am I replaced with? Based on the fact that there are still rooms available tonight (a night I was considering staying because I am going to the park tomorrow) at two All-Star hotels for $125 a night, All-Star Music for $112 a night, and Pop Century for $131 a night I would say NO ONE has replaced my money. It looks like no one has replaced others like me that will not stay onsite anymore until value is restored to the "privilige". In fact, Disney is practically begging their passholders to come stay at their hotels by lowering their prices to those numbers day-of. The fact that it's after 6pm I don't think it's working. That is money that will be lost. Add that up, day after day. That's money lost, no matter how you want to slice it.

One big issue is, there are only so many people with lots of money that actually are interested in Disney World. Of that number how many want to go over and over again? Especially since much of Disney doesn't really scream "luxury". There are increased offerings, but honestly there are much more interesting places to go and things to do for a person who has lots of money than to return multiple times a year to Disney. Is there a group who fit in that mold? Yes. Is there a long list of the elite on a waiting list just hoping they can spend weeks at Disney, year after year? No. So, up front Disney may not feel the financial results of their isolation of their larger customer base. However, over time it will become more obvious as the rich move on to the next thing that catches their fancy and the price gets pushed out of the reach of even more of the modest income Disney World attendees.

I think I read some where that Disney is operating at ~90% occupancy and with SW frenzy about to be unleased, lol sorry Im thinking they aren't stressing to much and evidently the timeshare sells are great, which is why they are building more dvc accommodations. again, I am not an insider. I did a simple google and it showed a rate of 89%, (now of course this is not a disney official number, lol they keep that pretty secret)

I did find this from Nov 2018

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201808/6223/

Now you are right, a few years down the road, maybe they will regret these moves but for the next 3 years? bunch of new stuff coming on line? just me, they are golden

Last edited:

VaderTron

Generally you need to check on the 4th or 5th day of your stay to get the most in demand fast passes. People with longer stays that over lap you stay already booked your first 3 days before you. Not really Disney's fault.

It is Disney's fault. Completely. They choose to let people book out for the entirety of their stay when the first day crosses the 60-day window. If each day opened individually as it crossed into the 60-day window it would create a more level playing field. There are already a large number of elite Fastpasses booked by club level customers who are paying for the privilege. At least give me a shot at ONE during my stay. I understand I still may not get the best time and I have to book for 6:30pm. But at least give me the chance to get that. I shouldn't be forced to book a two week trip at an already more expensive resort just to get an opportunity to secure a supposed "perk" of paying more to stay there.

Last edited:

VaderTron

I think I read some where that Disney is operating at 90% occupancy and with SW frenzy about to be unleased, lol sorry Im thinking they aren't stressing to much and evidently the timeshare sells are great, which is why they are building more dvc accommodations. again, I am not an insider.

Now you are right, a few years down the road, maybe they will regret these moves but for the next 3 years? bunch of new stuff coming on line? just me, they are golden

That's the point. This is just a cash-cow that is going to be milked till it's dry (a few years after the 50 year anniversary and SWL newness has worn off) and then it will be left to rot. That's not a good business plan. Much like the "not my problem" approach of 50+ year old manufacturing CEOs that pour outrageous amounts of pollution and toxic waste into the water, soil, and air. They are getting their money and won't be (or hope not to be) around for the disastrous results.

DisneyOutsider

If charitable contributions were not tax deductible this amount of "philanthropic" contributions would miraculously (dare I say "magically"?) disappear. The money should be paid to taxes, but by diverting it to organizations that claim to help children or the poor they get a free PR boost and can pat themselves on the back. Win-win for Disney, but it does nothing to establish them as a warm-hearted champion of benevolence.

That's not how tax deductions work... It does not decrease their tax burden dollar for dollar and is not "free".

eliza61nyc

That's the point. This is just a cash-cow that is going to be milked till it's dry (a few years after the 50 year anniversary and SWL newness has worn off) and then it will be left to rot. That's not a good business plan. Much like the "not my problem" approach of 50+ year old manufacturing CEOs that pour outrageous amounts of pollution and toxic waste into the water, soil, and air. They are getting their money and won't be (or hope not to be) around for the disastrous results.

Again, you could be absolutely right. let me just say, we've been predicting the downfall of the mouseworld for a while and yet here we are. I look at it like the stock market, lol past performance is not a prediction of future performance.

I will say this, Disney is a very unique animal. One thing I applaud them for is that they have now literally marketed their product as pretty much a "need". lol parents now feel that a trip to the mouseworld is needed for a happy childhood. pretty much insures a renewable source of visitiors.
none of these offerings in anyway would diminish the experience of some one of more modest means. In fact as others have pointed out most have been offered for quite a while, they just haven't been widely advertised. I

I'm more concerned about the rise in ticket prices, I would think that would be a bigger concern of lower income visitors way more than the Chef's table at V&A.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom