Upgrades on rooms

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
I was just reading on Mousesavers about the free upgrades to rooms. This happened for our Honeymoon at the GF and DH asked if we could have a room with a view b/c we booked just the standard room. She upgraded us to the room that you could see MK and the castle from the balcony. I didn't think anything of it at the time except how much I love WDW! Has anyone had success doing this too? What have you said to them? Does it have to be a special occasion?

Thanks!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It's primarily luck based. If the resort is jam packed full, you arent going to get an upgrade. If there is plenty of space, and special occasion, the resort MAY do an upgrade. There are lots of cases of surprise upgrades for people, and lots of cases where people are practically begging for an upgrade and it doesnt happen.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Original Poster
That's why we love WDW! They always know how to make someones vacation that much more special! Wouldn't it be great to be one of the people that gets to make someones day like that all the time! :)

Upvote 0

lac628

I don't know how you all manage this stuff! We usually stay at a value and ALWAYS request connecting rooms when we book. 9 times out of 10, they get it screwed up and we not only do not have the connecting room, but sometimes they aren't even next to each other. Now to my point...when we ask to have it fixed, it's like pulling teeth. They have to get manager and we usually are there for at least 10 minutes while they try to figure it out. Sometimes they won't accomidate us. Now, we are AP holders and go at all different times of the year. We try to avoid the busy times with the exception of thanksgiving weekend. I couldn't imagine asking for a room upgrade at check-in!!!!
*end of rant*

Upvote 0
I don't know how you all manage this stuff! We usually stay at a value and ALWAYS request connecting rooms when we book. 9 times out of 10, they get it screwed up and we not only do not have the connecting room, but sometimes they aren't even next to each other. Now to my point...when we ask to have it fixed, it's like pulling teeth. They have to get manager and we usually are there for at least 10 minutes while they try to figure it out. Sometimes they won't accomidate us. Now, we are AP holders and go at all different times of the year. We try to avoid the busy times with the exception of thanksgiving weekend. I couldn't imagine asking for a room upgrade at check-in!!!!
*end of rant*

That's good news for me! I requested to NOT have connecting rooms with my parents, but it says connecting rooms on my reservation. :( lol I hope they forget, or don't listen....lol

Upvote 0

atterris

I've been upgraded to the concierge floors at both the WL and BC. At the WL we booked an extra day onto out the start of our trip through travelocity and they had upgraded us for one night. We asked if we could keep the room when we started our vacation the next day. The manager was asked and said sure since it was our first time. When we got to the BC they have a greeter when you walk in the door. She asked us if we were celebrating anything? I told her that my one friend had just gradusted from univerity, one friend had not been on a real vacation in 5 years, and that I was a teacher celebrating my last moments of freedom before the next school year. She asked us to come with her and walked us pass check in and onto the elevator. She put her special key into the elevator and told us we had been chosen for an upgrade to the concierge floor. I'm a lucky girl:animwink:

Upvote 0

BigB911

I really don't like asking for things like this, but DW (after I had done all the research and planning, booked, and paid for the trip) found out about preferred rooms at ASMo. I booked a standard room. Now she wants an upgrade, and I'm all about staying on budget. It just so happens that we will be celebrating our 6th wedding anniversary while we are there.

So, to those of you that have recieved these free uprgrades, I ask, if you were me and your significant other was driving you :hammer:about upgrading the room, and had something like an anniversary going on while on vacation, how exactly would you ask for a free upgrade? I seriously have no clue and need some advice. Thanks a bunch!:wave:

Upvote 0

lilclerk

So, to those of you that have recieved these free uprgrades, I ask, if you were me and your significant other was driving you :hammer:about upgrading the room, and had something like an anniversary going on while on vacation, how exactly would you ask for a free upgrade? I seriously have no clue and need some advice. Thanks a bunch!:wave:
At a value I'd suggest requesting a specific building rather than an "upgrade."
Honestly, at a value, unless you have a situation where you have a hard time walking to the bus stops/food court and need to be closer to them, I'd suggest a standard room as they're not near the pools and tend to be quieter IMO. :shrug: The only advantage in the values is the proximity to the main building and the pools rather than a view in a deluxe resort.

Upvote 0

Figment1986

It depends on the time of day and if the computer pics you sometimes...

When we arrived at the poly (my first time staying there) mom had booked a standard room. Turns out the lottary landed on us and we got a 7 seas view Concearge room in Hawaii. It was such a nice room and the view was magnificient. Mind you I have stayed on proerty many times and never been upgraded to a nicer view let alone to concearge.

It is a bit of luck, celebrating something special does help sometimes though.

Upvote 0

BigB911

At a value I'd suggest requesting a specific building rather than an "upgrade."
Honestly, at a value, unless you have a situation where you have a hard time walking to the bus stops/food court and need to be closer to them, I'd suggest a standard room as they're not near the pools and tend to be quieter IMO. :shrug: The only advantage in the values is the proximity to the main building and the pools rather than a view in a deluxe resort.

Thank you so much! My problem with explaining this to her is that I said "I think." As in, "I think that the preferred rooms are just closer to the main bldgs." And, "I think they are just closer to the pools." And, "I think rooms further away may be more quiet."

So, in your opinion, what building should I ask for at ASMo? I know, I'm getting this thread way off topic. So I'll shut up after this. Thank you!

Upvote 0

DISMOM

On our trip in 2004 to the Wilderness Lodge, standard room. No offer of upgrades.
2006, upon checking into the Wilderness Lodge, I asked, 'Any possibilty of upgrading?' The CM checked with someone in the back and the answer was 'no, due to renovation of some rooms.' We had a great vacation both times.
2008, upon checking into French Quarter, the CM said, 'We were able to give you a free upgrade to a river view room.' We had booked a standard view room and I had not requested an upgrade.
We enjoyed all three vacations. It would have to take much more than a free upgrade or not to ruin a vacation. YOUR IN WALT DISNEY WORLD.!!!! Relax and have a great time.

Upvote 0

psdisney

My husband and I have been upgraded 2x from standard rooms...once on our honeymoon at the BC to concierge and then last year at AKL to a savannah view (was a grand gathering). We are staying at WL in Nov. with a grand gathering so we'll see if it happens again!

Upvote 0

painter26

Not really an upgrade, but ...

Our experience is not really an upgrade, but we had booked a king bed room at CBR. at checkin I just mentioned it to confirm. The CM said it was a regular room. I said I am 6'6". Do I look like I sleep in a regular bed? Within 15 seconds a manager was over at the terminal, pressing some keys and said that she was "unlocking" some inventory. Within a minute we were all set. I told her"Thanks, now I do not have to go home and speak poorly about DW" She smiled. That's what is all about. Word of mouth does more harm or good that all the advetising in the "World".

Upvote 0

lilclerk

So, in your opinion, what building should I ask for at ASMo? I know, I'm getting this thread way off topic. So I'll shut up after this. Thank you!
No problem! =)
At ASMo I've heard that the Love Bug section, while far away, is very quiet. We stayed in the Mighty Ducks which was great because while it's a bit of a walk to Movies' main building & bus stops, it's not far at all from Music's, so we just went there a lot. And they were still very quiet. There is a small pool, but there wasn't much activity there in the evenings.
This site (http://willcad.org/disney_maps.shtml#values) has maps of all the resorts, you can see which building you'd like the most and try to request it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom