Updates to the Seas Pavilion

trainplane3

What exactly is the point of the Seabase Alpha-esque enhancements? The pavilion is “hosted” by the Nemo characters so it’s a confusing perspective. Don’t get me wrong, I want them to go HAM on bringing the original Seas back, but they need to go all in or else the whole thing will be disjointed thematically.
*peers over at them painting Tomorrowland '94 elemtents white*

FigmentJedi

What exactly is the point of the Seabase Alpha-esque enhancements? The pavilion is “hosted” by the Nemo characters so it’s a confusing perspective. Don’t get me wrong, I want them to go HAM on bringing the original Seas back, but they need to go all in or else the whole thing will be disjointed thematically.
The Nemo ride still called the aquarium area SeaBase at the very end from day one, even with most of the signage within the SeaBase de-emphasizing its identity as a SeaBase, so there's always been a disjointed combination of CGI Fish and futuristic technology. It's something that crept into almost every Nemo attraction that's been installed in the parks.

tumblr_pmo4haaJu01sa3t1go1_1280.jpg

Tom Morrow

My guess is that the signs say "aquarium" instead of Observation level because ever since the Nemo ride opened, they struggled to get people to actually explore the aquarium instead of just heading straight out. But more likely, the people who made the sign simply just don't get it.

It bothers me how much potential the pavilion has, even with the Nemo tie-in. Especially with the aquarium being a huge setpiece in Finding Dory, there's really no excuse. The ride itself could have been an educational adventure, like a field trip with Mr. Ray, or anything other than what they did, which was go for the easiest, laziest possible concept of covering the cliffnotes of the movie.

Steph15251

My guess is that the signs say "aquarium" instead of Observation level because ever since the Nemo ride opened, they struggled to get people to actually explore the aquarium instead of just heading straight out. But more likely, the people who made the sign simply just don't get it.

It bothers me how much potential the pavilion has, even with the Nemo tie-in. Especially with the aquarium being a huge setpiece in Finding Dory, there's really no excuse. The ride itself could have been an educational adventure, like a field trip with Mr. Ray, or anything other than what they did, which was go for the easiest, laziest possible concept of covering the cliffnotes of the movie.
They really need to improve this ride.

Tom Morrow

The other thing that bothers me about the signage is that it's an example of the bigger picture of what their new approach to EPCOT is. By using the classic designs, symbols, theming, and other elements we're nostalgic for, they're attempting to have their cake and eat it too by saying "see? It's just like the classic EPCOT Center you love!", but its more of a lipstick on a pig situation when you have a Moana garden instead of just a garden, Ratatouille in France because the film takes place in Paris, etc.

arich35

We went in December and didn't even realize there was an aquarium, looking forward to seeing that area of Epcot for the first time

UNCgolf

The worst part is that the ride track goes through a tunnel where the aquarium is around you on all sides! Instead it's all covered up by fabric so we can see projections of turtles.

I think it has a strong argument as the worst ride Disney has ever built. Something like Superstar Limo was almost certainly a worse ride if you only consider the actual ride itself and no other factors, but when you consider that they blocked up views into the aquarium through a tunnel custom built specifically for that purpose, well...

Tom Morrow

I think it has a strong argument as the worst ride Disney has ever built. Something like Superstar Limo was almost certainly a worse ride if you only consider the actual ride itself and no other factors, but when you consider that they blocked up views into the aquarium through a tunnel custom built specifically for that purpose, well...
It's definitely near the top in terms of short-sightedness. I would still say gutting the original, brilliant Journey Into Imagination for a terrible, followed by mediocre replacement was worse, whereas the actual Living Seas ride portion was nothing spectacular. Still, it baffles me that these projects get greenlit.

UNCgolf

It's definitely near the top in terms of short-sightedness. I would still say gutting the original, brilliant Journey Into Imagination for a terrible, followed by mediocre replacement was worse, whereas the actual Living Seas ride portion was nothing spectacular. Still, it baffles me that these projects get greenlit.

Actually yes, you're right. I have no idea how Imagination slipped my mind. I think the Nemo ride takes second place behind Imagination, which was an abomination.

You're also right that the original Living Seas ride was nothing special on its own, but it was special when considered as part of the cohesive whole of that pavilion. It was the best pavilion at EPCOT in terms of overall cohesion and commitment to a theme.

BoarderPhreak

Once Nemo went in, everything else kind of went by the wayside. Disney needs to justify keeping such an immense (and costly) aquarium running - by visitor counts.

I truly hope these little signs (pun intended) point to at least a semi-return to Seabase Alpha. While I doubt we'll see hydrolators again any time soon, I have hope for at least some of the rest. It's going to take more than a new carpet and some aquarium spruce-ups to get people to wander throughout the pavilion.

wdwtopten

Why and when did they take out the hydrolators? I first visited Epcot around 12 years ago and don't recall them being there at that time.

Phineas

Even then, you'd have to be a few years earlier to catch the Seacabs!
Thank you! I thought my brain made up there being a ride through the aquarium before Nemo. Like others have mentioned, I remember them being-fine, nothing spectacular, but appreciated.

trainplane3

Thank you! I thought my brain made up there being a ride through the aquarium before Nemo. Like others have mentioned, I remember them being-fine, nothing spectacular, but appreciated.
Exactly. I remember it being a REALLY slow omnimover that was extremely short but gave you a nice view of the aquarium. Then a few trips later, being greeted by a wall when stepping out of the Hydrolators. And then finally, walking in the "exit" through glass doors. It completely wrecked the whole idea of a unique, totally contained experience and turned it into a generic aquarium with Nemo plastered everywhere. As a little kid (ok, I was like 12/13 by the time it was obvious Nemo was taking over) I was bored by Nemo takeover. Nothing more then an aquarium with characters all over the place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom