Updates all around...

CrashNet

My God, how long has China been under that tarp? What are they doing under there...

I'm surprised it's going to take TWO MONTHS to put lights on the Castle? The first MVMCP is two days before the scheduled departure of the crane according to this thread; I really hope they have it all done and neatly put away before they start charging $50/head to see it.

AEfx
I imagine they're just giving ample time to get up during the evenings and being this is the first time they've ever done it, programming the lighting to work with the show, etc. If I remember correctly, the Osborne Lights were started earlier last year so they could program them as well.

wdwmomof3

:eek:
Have they ever done this before? :shrug:
I hope it is done tastefuly :lookaroun !

When we were there in Oct 06, there was crane behind the castle but they lowered it during the day so it could not be seen. They were either painting the castle or removing something, I can't remember. Anyway, it should be fine. I had rather see a crane by the castle than see it decorated like a cake again.:ROFLOL:

ToTBellHop

I feel like I heard at some point that Primeval Whirl is the most expensive ride to run day-to-day at Animal Kingdom. I could've made that up, though. So many moving parts and they are running a fair ride at a much higher hourly capacity than it usually runs, so it's not surprising to me that the thing is a piece of junk.

Cynderella

Man why do they have to put that stupid crane up so early for lights??? :fork: Ugh, I hope all my honeymoon pictures don't have that stupid crane in them!

ToTBellHop

Man why do they have to put that stupid crane up so early for lights??? :fork: Ugh, I hope all my honeymoon pictures don't have that stupid crane in them!
probably because they lighting will be slightly more expensive than the lights the average person puts up on their house around Christmas............

Vernonpush

I feel like I heard at some point that Primeval Whirl is the most expensive ride to run day-to-day at Animal Kingdom. I could've made that up, though. So many moving parts and they are running a fair ride at a much higher hourly capacity than it usually runs, so it's not surprising to me that the thing is a piece of junk.
I guess that's part of the "themeing", a "road side attraction" that's "bought off the shelf" and breaks down lot, thus leaving you to pay "to play the games or go shopping":lol: .

AEfx

We paid for MNSSHP and the crane was up!

Hehe, I meant charge $50/head to see the lights, as in if the work was scheduled to go two days past the first MVMCP, that says to me the lights might not be finished by then. I too have been to a MNSSHP (and it looks like after this thread I will be doing it again) with the crane.

It's a necessary evil, and when it's down it's not that bad. I just hope the lights are worth it - and judging from the Paris one someone posted, they just might be.

28 days to get the crane in, 2 days to put the lights up, and 28 days to take the crane away. It would have taken a single night, but Ladder is too busy at the HM :D

LOL.

Well, the rest of China that's finished looks stunning. They've replaced the roofs essentially and really spit-polished the ornate carvings and such. The interior of the temple of hope looks amazing right now. I guess they've just working on the temple at this point - however long that will take.

That's great to hear. I honestly haven't been in - on my last trip I was whisked past on my way to dinner and made a point to look over and was just shocked the tarp was still there (and it was night to boot so I really didn't get a good look). Seriously, though - how long as it been up? Am I imagining things 'cause I feel like it's been up for years LOL.

I imagine they're just giving ample time to get up during the evenings and being this is the first time they've ever done it, programming the lighting to work with the show, etc. If I remember correctly, the Osborne Lights were started earlier last year so they could program them as well.

You are totally right. I also am always amazed at how long Osborne takes to put up. I'm usually not one to complain about how long things take, but some stuff does surprise me, like lights. And painting - even someone who knows "how things work" at Disney to a certain degree like myself sometimes has that, "But they are Disney, can't they do it faster?" thought LOL.

:eek:
Have they ever done this before? :shrug:
I hope it is done tastefuly :lookaroun !

It's really not that bad. I too was worried when I first encountered it (on a big, important family trip as well) but it really is done as well as can be expected.

First, the only time the crane is up during the day is sometimes early in the morning - like during EMH, but is almost always down by official park opening. If it is up for the first couple of hours occasionally, it really isn't hard to edit it out of pictures even with rudimentary software really easy (it's just a thin crane).

Second, when it's down, it is in back of the castle, off to the side, with green construction walls around it. It is as well hidden as one can hide a big crane, LOL. When it's down you have to be walking up the back path to the castle to see it, most vantage points have it totally hidden from view.

Again, I too was worried when I brought the whole family down to a crane...but it really wasn't a big deal at all. A few of them even thought it was neat to see and took pics over the construction wall, LOL.

AEfx

CThaddeus

Well, I'm cancelling my trip now. There's no way I'm going to fly all the way across the country to Disney World unless I can go on the best ride of all time - Primeval Whirl. Next you're going to tell me that Under New Management, Test Track, and Lights, Motors, Action! will be down during that time, too. At least tell me the rest of Chester n' Hester's Dino-Rama! will be open during that time. The state fair hasn't been here in months...

Tinkrbell

I got the crane last year when I was there in October because they were taking down the HCOE decorations. This year, they'll be putting up christmas decorations when im there in october. i can never get the castle without a crane in the background.

jasondiff

Well, I'm cancelling my trip now. There's no way I'm going to fly all the way across the country to Disney World unless I can go on the best ride of all time - Primeval Whirl. Next you're going to tell me that Under New Management, Test Track, and Lights, Motors, Action! will be down during that time, too. At least tell me the rest of Chester n' Hester's Dino-Rama! will be open during that time. The state fair hasn't been here in months...

Unfortunately that is all true. Chester n Hester's will be open, so I hope your happiness with that info offsets the fact that SGE will be down too. :lol:

CThaddeus

Unfortunately that is all true. Chester n Hester's will be open, so I hope your happiness with that info offsets the fact that SGE will be down too. :lol:

Since I'm one of the few on this site that actually likes Stitch's Great Escape, that really would disappoint me.

hcswingfield

dlp05_xmas_tree.jpg

That confirms it. I WILL go to WDW in December this year (like I need another reason to go)!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom